Could Daniel Bryan Be Christian's Next Opponent?

ultramattman

Pre-Show Stalwart
The Christian-Orton feud is nearing its end. Christian, newly-minted as a main event heel, is going to have to move on to a non-title feud with a Smackdown face.

So who can Christian face? The top faces, after Orton, are Sin Cara, Kane, and Bryan. Sin Cara seems to still be dipping his toes in the water. Kane is a possibility, but they might want him for Sheamus or Wade Barrett, who both need opponents.

Why not use Christian to elevate Daniel Bryan? They're tailor-made to each other's strengths - both can carry long and highly skilled matches, they're of similar size (Christian would look too much like an underdog vs. Kane) and Bryan's at least comfortable enough on the mic to hold his own. Smackdown desperately needs a main event face, and this could be the program Bryan's been waiting for.

Bryan's in some sort of feud with Rhodes at the moment but it's not really clear where it's going or how long it lasts. Bryan/Christian makes a lot of sense.

I would absolutely kill for a Daniel Bryan main event push. He's puts on exciting matches and can hold his own in a feud. He doesn't necessarily have to win the World Championship off the bat but if I were apart of creative, I'd definitely pull the trigger on some sort of main event push for Bryan. Sadly, it doesn't seem too likely as it looks they are pushing towards a feud between Cody Rhodes and himself, but I know I would love to see it. A feud between Daniel Bryan and Christian would keep both relevant at the same time and may put Daniel Bryan over as a huge face on Smackdown. I pray this happens, I just don’t know how likely it will be.

I'm really not sure.

Fewer people in WWE put on better matches than DBD. This pretty much accepted, and relative to his card position he is in the perfect spot to be in a long and relevant mid-card title feud. The problem with a main event push, however, is rather glaring.

In WWE, main event players rarely put on full length matches on RAW and Smackdown, instead having five or ten minute matches that more or less follow a set formula, and instead spend the majority of their time building up to PPV matches with promos.

And Daniel Bryan's promo skills as a face... well they just flat out suck. I'm sorry, but as a face he just blows on the mic. You think Orton and Morrison are bad on the stick? Yeah, DBD makes them look like the fucking Rock.

If Daniel gets a main event push, or something resembling such, he'd have to do some serious legwork to catch up promo wise.

I'm really not sure.

Fewer people in WWE put on better matches than DBD. This pretty much accepted, and relative to his card position he is in the perfect spot to be in a long and relevant mid-card title feud. The problem with a main event push, however, is rather glaring.

In WWE, main event players rarely put on full length matches on RAW and Smackdown, instead having five or ten minute matches that more or less follow a set formula, and instead spend the majority of their time building up to PPV matches with promos.

And Daniel Bryan's promo skills as a face... well they just flat out suck. I'm sorry, but as a face he just blows on the mic. You think Orton and Morrison are bad on the stick? Yeah, DBD makes them look like the fucking Rock.

If Daniel gets a main event push, or something resembling such, he'd have to do some serious legwork to catch up promo wise.

I agree Daniel Bryan is not The Rock or Flair on the mic, but if you look at the Smack Down roster there is really not much of a choice besides Orton Big Zeke looks like he took the #2 spot in the face pecking order then after that it's nothing Kane is in a team program with Big Show, Taker is inactive leaving either Sin Cara or Daniel Bryan as the #3 after them the next biggest face is either Yoshi Tatsu or Johnny Curtis (who has yet to officially debut) which shows you how weak the face roster is on Friday's. Unless there is a trade, a signing or they call up somebody from FCW things are looking pretty good for Mr. Bryan right now.

Christian has had numerous chances to beat Orton and I think they may give him another one ahead of guys like Rhodes, Barrett, Sheamus and Henry as he has already competed and won in a ladder match this year. But after that WWE can;t keep giving the same guy an oppourtunity. And after that Christian will most likely start a feud with Big Zeke, Sin Cara or Daniel Bryan. They are the 3 other faces on Smackdown at the moment. Out of all those feuds I'd like to see Bryan vs Christian. That feud would be the most intresting as they could put on an extremely technical 5 star match. And Bryan feuding with a talent like Christian could do wonders for him, his character and his postition on Smackdown. The feud could finally elevate the multitalented superstar to the mainevents.

I dont't think it will happen.... but I would certainly enjoy a Christian and Bryan feud. Both are capable of great matches so we know they would steal the show on PPV. Bryan could improve on the mic after working a feud with someone like Christian. The feud would benefit both guys because Christian would need something to do in between world title shots and Bryan needs to be elevated. This would be awesome if they did it.

This is totally something I'd like to see. As you said, they're similarly sized, both put on great matches, and Bryan is actually decent on the mic (and he really doesn't have a character right now). Just thinking what this would do for Bryan makes me wish for this to come soon, but I'm not sure it'll happen. I have a weird feeling that Christian will get thrown into a feud with Zeke to try and get people to care about him. That might just suck, as opposed to the awesome-filled alternative. They also might give that big-push-causing feud to Sin Cara instead, since the little kids seem to love all his silly spots. Bryan deserves it, but probably won't get it. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Once again, the probability of Christian defeating Orton has risen, due to how many chances hes being handed. The WWE have really cashed in on this feud and seem content to continue doing so. Christian and Orton has been WWE's top feud of this year, in two terms. One being overall matches, which have all been of high quality, maybe with the exception of the Capitol Punishment match, and its helped develop Christian into a top heel on Smackdown, although he's still getting face reactions.

Then you got Danielson. If Christian defeats Orton, I can see Sheamus being involved, as Orton punted him in the head. Christian would need a new challenger. You really only have Bryan and Cara at the moment, Kane is an option, but that wouldn't be a great feud. Cara doesn't deserve anything like that yet, and therefore I see Danielson as the only viable option.

Hes got the skills to put on great matches, as does Christian, Danielson once again cut a great promo on Smackdown before his matches with Rhodes; but because it's Danielson we have to immediately forget that because God only knows giving him props for microphone work is a sin. And he gets good reactions, even if he was defeated in the long-term feud with Christian, he'd still get over as a top face and it would give him much more exposure.

if theses two had a feud it would be awesome in terms of match quality it would be off the charts. This potential feud could elevate byran to main event status

It needs to happen. These two are a match made in rival heaven. I think Christian could get himself over as a heel on SD while getting Bryan over as a credible title contender. This scenario is just one of those things thats too good to be true. Hopefully WWE will realize the gold in this rivalry and book it but until then I guess both guys will just have to settle for boring and unnecessary rivalries.

If Christian isn't going to get the title back (which he very likely won't), I would love to see him and Bryan feud. The in-ring chemistry would probably be gold.

The real question is whether or not the rivalry would attract the average fan. It all depends on how over Christian truly is as a heel when his feud with Orton comes to a close. Bryan is Bryan. Nothing would really change for him between now and then (especially with him participating in MITB ladder match). If Christian is over enough, the crowd will get behind Bryan. The SmackDown audience seems to really enjoy him and his feuding with Rhodes/DiBiase, so it's easy to see them really get behind him if it's a respectable heel Christian.

You know, the whole underdog complex.

Yes, win or lose against Orton, Daniel Bryan should be Christian next opponent. Bryan is getting a nice reaction from the crowd the last couple of weeks. It will help further develop Christian heel character.

It just shows you how thin the Smackdown roster is, Bryan might be the 2nd top face. Dont know if Big Show counts? He's been jumping back and fourth from Smackdown to Raw lately.

Yes, this feud would be absolute gold. I'm confident that the feud would actually elevate both stars even though it looks as if it's a drop for Christian. It would help him get more heat as Danielson is actually quite over at the moment, and is easy to get behind in a match. Will this feud happen? Probably not right now, I see Wade feuding with DB until Christian eventually does.

I would love to see and think the match could happen and i would like it to take place a this years summerslam with the Christian/Orton and Rhodes/Bryan fueds possibly ending after mitb, it Could possibly steal the show...it can all be set up if Christian doesnt regain the world championship.

Christian loses to Orton again at mitb then next Smackdown in a in ring promo or backstage segment he wants yet another chance at Orton and Bryan makes a smart ass comment or something about it Christian is pissed attacks him or cost him a match(possibly #1 contenders) and there u go book it for Summerslam.

How the hell can we predict this or even discuss it? While we're at it, who do you all think will be the feud after the feud after the feud after the feud with Christian? :rolleyes:

I'm sure there are a lot of feuds we would like to see involving Christian. He seems to be a major fan-favorite on the internet. Honestly, I'd be happy seeing him feud with just about anyone, at this point. But a feud with Daniel Bryan would probably benefit Bryan more than Christian from a charisma perspective while it would benefit Christian from an in-ring perspective. So, yeah this is one of many options for Christian once the feud with Orton is over, sure.

In order to make this work, something needs to happen to Orton to make him not be in contention for the title. So lets say Christian wins. Orton needs something to happen to him to keep him away. For example, Cena and the whole Nexus storyline. That kept Cena away from the title for an extended peiod of time but still did keep him on the top. From logic of recent weeks, a heated rivalry between Orton and Sheamus seems fairly likely. I know this isn't a fresh idea, but it does seem like a realistic way to bring a new feud for the World Heavyweight Title.

To be perfectly honest, I do see Daniel Bryan getting a crack at the main event picture at some point in time. I just don't think it's going to be anytime in the near future. Daniel Bryan does have a spot in the SmackDown! MITB match and while I think it's unlikely that he'll win, he could be the dark horse that comes out of nowhere that nobody really expects. If that does take place, then I think Bryan has a shot of getting over if the WWE puts the sort of focus on him in a similar way to what they did with The Miz. Give him some mic time, have him be seen on television as often as possible carrying the briefcase, in his promos, have him tout how much winning MITB can mean to one's career, etc. It won't be too difficult for fans to get behind Bryan as a main eventer because they know he can get it up inside the ring, now they just have to get to know him as a character/person.

As for feuding with Christian, I'd buy a ticket for it. I have little doubt the matches would be spectacular. I've read a few reports that WWE's had this match at a couple of house shows over the past month or so and they've allegedly brought the house down and stolen the show.

I'd look for either Bryan or Cody Rhodes to wind up being the next Intercontinental Champion at this point in time. Cody Rhodes already has a victory over Ezekiel Jackson so that's generally an indicator that Rhodes is going to be in the IC title hunt. If he wins, it's more likely they'd have Bryan & Rhodes continue their feud over the IC title than for Bryan to be elvated to the main event spot at this point in time.

I kind of want to compare this with the whole John Morrison situation, before the injury. He was always getting involved in the fringe of the Main Event picture, had a shot if I'm not completely mistaken, but then dropped right back down to mid-card. I think it has to do with his mic skills. He just can't get across vocally with the crowd. They love him IN the ring, but not outside of it.

This is what's going on with Bryan. He's loved inside the ring, but outside of it, nobody really gives him a second though. Hell I even forgot about his recent mic work against Cody. Not because I refuse to give him credit, but it's such a rarity, that you tend to let it slip your mind.

Skill-wise, he belongs in the Main Event. Character and charisma, on the other hand, he's not going to sell tickets. At least not yet. But a lengthy feud with Christian might be what he needs to get the instant recognition factor.

How the hell can we predict this or even discuss it? While we're at it, who do you all think will be the feud after the feud after the feud after the feud with Christian? :rolleyes:

You know, the original post wasn't just random guessing for no reason. It looked at the Smackdown roster and considered how things were shaking out with heels & babyfaces and what made the most sense for Christian to do next. Obviously it's a 'guess', but it wasn't just some pointless stab in the dark.

That would be an incredible feud. I could really see it pushing Bryan to the main event level, While at the same time i could see christian getting over even more as a heel..Great Idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back