Could and Should WCW Still Be Around Today?

RAndom thought: there is no 16:9 WCW footage, never mind HD. This make me feel so old it's ridiculous.

If AOL had allowed WCW to be purchased and signed a good tv deal they absolutely would be around. Turner had no authority but the new company and the people they brought in with WWF connections went out of their way to kill off WCW and did.

If WCW was still around they would've regressed to Saturday's at 6pm (WCW Saturday Night) with one B-show on Sundays on TBS and Worldwide in syndication which would've had a easier time getting TV time due to big stations owning another station to place it on(that's not even counting the CW and /or My TV sub channels in some places).

Will all the talent WCW had they really should be around today. That's if things went a bit differently to how they went. With the such poor management, WCW main eventers making their own shots, the ridiculous booking that occurred it was just all too much. I was lucky enough to be young when I was watching WCW so all that stuff didn't really occur to me so I still have love for it even though I can now spot how bad it is.

Like I was saying though. You have people like Sting, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, DDP, Randy Savage, Curt Henning, Chris Benoit, Dean Milenko, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero to put on constant good matches at one point or another. Then you have big draws like Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Hogan and Goldberg. Top that off with people like Luger, Scott Steiner, Sid Vicious and Booker T who could easily be inserted into the main event without a problem. Top that off with the cruiserweight division and you had a potential gold mine. However lots of things had to of been different so that's a big what if, so no WCW couldn't be around but really probably should be.

Will all the talent WCW had they really should be around today. That's if things went a bit differently to how they went. With the such poor management, WCW main eventers making their own shots, the ridiculous booking that occurred it was just all too much. I was lucky enough to be young when I was watching WCW so all that stuff didn't really occur to me so I still have love for it even though I can now spot how bad it is.

Like I was saying though. You have people like Sting, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, DDP, Randy Savage, Curt Henning, Chris Benoit, Dean Milenko, Chris Jericho and Eddie Guerrero to put on constant good matches at one point or another. Then you have big draws like Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Hogan and Goldberg. Top that off with people like Luger, Scott Steiner, Sid Vicious and Booker T who could easily be inserted into the main event without a problem. Top that off with the cruiserweight division and you had a potential gold mine. However lots of things had to of been different so that's a big what if, so no WCW couldn't be around but really probably should be.

All those guys you named off are either dead, retired/too old to work a match or semi-retired. WCW did a bad job at building up their own talent. Scott Steiner, DDP, Jeff Jarrett, Goldberg and Booker T were their main eventers. Half of them during WCW's end were already 40+ in age.

Nash and Hall were not big draws but products of association on-air with Hogan, I honestly thought Hall's WWE career was better than his WCW run. Nash booked himself to go over on Goldberg which till this day was the dumbest decision - one of WCW's many ridiculous booking decisions.

Hart, Hogan and Vicious were no longer performing by the end of WCW. Hart with the concussion that put him in retirement, Hogan never came back after BATB 2000 and Vicious was out with a career threatening injury because someone in management thought it would be a good idea to have him do a high spot. Benoit, Hall, Giant, Guerrero, Jericho, Saturn, Raven and Savage were all gone.

WCW was trying to build their main event scene around the guys mentioned above. While I respect them as workers, Jarrett should've never been in the main event mix nor should have ever been a world champ. I guess looking back at it now they were desperate to build around younger workers.

All those guys you named off are either dead, retired/too old to work a match or semi-retired. WCW did a bad job at building up their own talent. Scott Steiner, DDP, Jeff Jarrett, Goldberg and Booker T were their main eventers. Half of them during WCW's end were already 40+ in age.

Nash and Hall were not big draws but products of association on-air with Hogan, I honestly thought Hall's WWE career was better than his WCW run. Nash booked himself to go over on Goldberg which till this day was the dumbest decision - one of WCW's many ridiculous booking decisions.

Hart, Hogan and Vicious were no longer performing by the end of WCW. Hart with the concussion that put him in retirement, Hogan never came back after BATB 2000 and Vicious was out with a career threatening injury because someone in management thought it would be a good idea to have him do a high spot. Benoit, Hall, Giant, Guerrero, Jericho, Saturn, Raven and Savage were all gone.

WCW was trying to build their main event scene around the guys mentioned above. While I respect them as workers, Jarrett should've never been in the main event mix nor should have ever been a world champ. I guess looking back at it now they were desperate to build around younger workers.

Oh nah I totally agree with most of that. That's why I said there is a lot of what ifs. Really they could of stayed up higher in the ratings for a lot longer. Then when the century is turning over you have Benoit, Booker T, Eddie etc going after the world title. I guess what I'm trying to say is WCW could of made it work with the roster they had. It would be insane to not think that. Even when Hogan is at that age and still does the stupid stuff he did, WWE still got big draws for him.

Nash was becoming quite popular in WCW. Especially when the Wolfpac started up. He was getting a big cheer from the crowd when he was face. I labelled Hall a big draw for a couple of reasons. The way he entered WCW it got people watching and he is also from WWE so that would of got the viewers from WWE to think wow what is going on here. If he stayed sober in WCW his career might of been more memorable but unfortunately that wasn't the case. Jarrett I really don't give two craps about and would of probably never made it to where he was without everyone else either leaving or getting injured.

You obviously still wouldn't have those guys around but who's to say that if WCW didn't stay at the peak for a few more years and treated their superstars (with a network that cared) better that they wouldn't of lured a few more WWE guys over. Angle leaving in 2006 could of been him going to WCW instead of TNA. Jeff Hardy could be one of the biggest WCW superstars of this century instead of being one of TNA's biggest legends. Heck does Shawn Michaels go back to WWE if Nash and Hall are at WCW. he probably wouldn't of wrestled again but ya never know.

Again I know that the way it did go down it couldn't of worked. However with all the resources they had they could of atleast gone longer.

Yes on both counts - but not the pre-buyout version... that died the day Vince bought it...

Vince could and should have kept the two companies seperate to all intents and purposes and merging was a big mistake that I am sure he would do over if he could.

Regardless of any personal views he had on "beating WCW" the reality is that the talent, the company was viable then and under the proper WWE management would still be going today. Shane would probably be running it and guys like Sting and Ric Flair would be heavily involved.

Would it ever have been seen as anything but the "poor relation"? That is up for debate, but I think if Shane had been told "go nuts kid" and allowed to run the company for 5 years, they'd have been turning a profit and growing again - even if not quite developing "great" stars.

Some people would have thrived either way, I could see a Batista or Randy Orton being big players in WCW under the McMahons, I could see Chris Jericho being their long-term poster boy after a few years in the WWE.

If they'd gone that way and WAITED for 3 years before having the two companies go at it in any way... then WCW would be a major player today.

ould and should have kept the two companies seperate to all intents and purposes and merging was a big mistake that I am sure he would do over

He could not keep it open because Spike TV wasn't going to allow him to run it on a competitor network or be able to put it on Spike TV or USA. This is part of what made WCW unattractive to some potential buyers due to the company not coming with a television deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back