• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Controversy Doesn't Always Create Cash

farlance

Pre-Show Stalwart
There has been a lot of discussion about what happened at BFG with Bobby Roode and weather he "is ready" or weather the build up was a waste. People are saying give it a chance, let it build, there's more to the story bla bla bla, but I'm not hearing many comments about the money spent and business standpoint of not giving people what they paid to see, weather it was good story telling or not. At the end of the day people spent $60 bucks on this PPV and left with a horrible taste in their mouth. Now lets not forget the "they" storyline from last year. That is 2 years in a row that some people got burned. I want some feed back on what people think about the twists on these shows and if its really worth it when it comes to keeping fans, and keeping people buying these PPV's. At some point, the people making the storylines need to give the majority of the fans what they want, or expect to see, even if it is very predictable. Do you think for these big PPV's predictability is good? If you paid for the last 2 BFG PPV's and were disappointed will you buy the next one? Where will you draw the line? and if you already have, what would it take to get you to buy another PPV after numerous disappointments? Just interested in what people are thinking apart from the any specific story line aspect.

I agree. Predictability can be a good thing if it's what the fans want to see.

Presumably the fans who bought the PPV wanted to see Roode win the title.

Well, I have paid for the last 2 BFGs. I didn't pay to see Roode win the title. I paid to see a solid show, & I got it. I won't go through the entire card match-by-match, but it was solid. Not great, but not awful either. 2 years ago, I kind of saw the "They" think coming, so I wasn't really disappointed. Again, for the most part, I don't really root for certain outcomes. I just want to be entertained.

And, since I read the spoilers for the Impact taping, I'm even more excited about what could happen going forward.

It's bad in the sense that they were just trying too hard. You can't force believable controversy. Remember when Hall and Nash first appeared on WCW and people were honestly talking about whether or not WWF had invaded the company? That's real, "controversy." Sometimes, it really is worse to have people talk about you than not at all. If we're all talking about Bobby Roode in a negative way, it'll have a negative impact on your returns.

I'll always maintain that wrestling is purely a business based on fan service. Just look at WrestleMania: You knew Hogan was going to win, but he lost during the build-up so you just wanted to see him win more. They should have just let Bobby Roode get the run. If they were dead set on this *SPOILER* Beer Money angle, then they should have let James Storm be the one who won at BFG *END SPOILERS*.

The babyface always wins at your biggest event. Period. When he doesn't, you get the Miz over Cena at 27, and even though I like Miz more than Cena, it was just wrong. Everyone would have understood Miz dropping the title, but they had to get the Rock story rolling, and that spoiled the thing, in my opinion. I know what I'm paying for with these shows, but I don't care; I pay to see the good guy win. You don't watch Rocky 3 to see Clubber Lang win, in the end. That's probably why I was most upset when I watched BFG. All they did was kill Roode's momentum.

Well, I have paid for the last 2 BFGs. I didn't pay to see Roode win the title. I paid to see a solid show, & I got it. I won't go through the entire card match-by-match, but it was solid. Not great, but not awful either. 2 years ago, I kind of saw the "They" think coming, so I wasn't really disappointed. Again, for the most part, I don't really root for certain outcomes. I just want to be entertained.

I agree with you there, it was a solid PPV. The Sting/Hogan match was much much better than I expected, and the crowd was super into it. It's just a little disappointing to see TNA drop the ball on what should have been a no-brainer (and Kurt Angle is by far my favorite wrestler).

Sometimes it's like TNA goes out of their way to be unpredictable and swerve the fans, and they end up having illogical and less compelling storylines as a result.

But who knows, I guess we'll see where they go with it.

So pretty much, paying for a 5 Star show isn't a good thing simply because of the controversial ending? Spare me the crap. The idea of buying a PPV is to enjoy the whole thing. Not just the main event. This isn't boxing. If I paid 40 and got my money's worth quality wise, I'm not gonna moan about it just because the ending was controversial. That's just the bonus hook to make you watch on that goes on top a very solid show.

controversy doesnt create cash if there nothing worth watching or buying

hall and nash on nitro that was a controversy that created cash in wcw

david arquette winning the wcw title was a controversy that made fans say fuck this company

I think you have to strike a balance between giving the fans what they want and surprising them. Unfortunately, as far as the Roode/Angle match at BFG is concerned, TNA did neither. I think most people wanted to see Roode win. There were several vignettes shown about Roode over a couple of weeks that really built him up. Plus, the Bound For Glory Tournament was a good idea and it was fairly lengthy, so I had a strong impression that the winner of the tournament would capture the title at BFG. Instead, Angle cheats yet again. So predictable. I don't think he's garnered a clean win since he's had the belt. So, the Angle victory didn't give the fans what they wanted (Roode winning), and it didn't surprise them because Angle wins by cheating or some kind of interference all the time now. That makes the main-event of a major PPV feel like another predictable, disappointing Impact main event.

What it boils down to is if you bought the PPV were you satisfied with the overall show. If a person buys a wrestling PPV at $60 a pop for just one match, they're better off seein g it posted on youtube for free. You gotta remember that this is TNA, and not everyone is gonna be happy with certain outcomes. If you enjoyed the show, then you got your money's worth.

I personally don't mind a bit of chaotic unpredictability, like the whole "Conspiracy" angle over on RAW, but there comes a point where the shit that goes down has to actually make some damn sense in the grand scheme of things. Angle winning at BFG? Whatever. I would have preferred a Roode win, but like I said earlier, unpredictability. So though I didn't like it, I was willing to see how it would work out. And plus, I don't mind heels winning the main event at WM or BFG, so I tried to think positive.

But first of all, why change the whole ending just because of Hogan? The last company to put that much trust in him went out like a bitch, so why repeat the trend? Secondly, If Roode wasn't ready, why the hell would Storm be? They've spent the whole buildup of BFG pushing Roode hard, then he fails, then Storm comes and wins, wtf? Why not have Storm win the BFG series in the first place? And plus, he wins the title in a squash match? GTFO. Protecting Angle's injuries is not an excuse: if it was that bad, they should have let him lose as planned. And finally, I understand what TNA is trying to do: Roode loses, but his partner wins, so the animosity begins. While it is a creative idea, and might have worked under some different circumstances, the way it was done was a train-wreck, and it should not have been done during your biggest PPV of the year. This is some Russo-style booking if I've ever seen it; twists and turns in the storyline should not be abused.

i h8 this all the build up them angle wins at BFG how was that then the day after we read about angle wanting too put over younger talent and as for hogan TNA isnt WCW 2.0 show the fans what they want and the superstars respect and yes then maybe controversy will create cash

Controversy doesn't create cash? They fucked up at the ppv you say? Huh, well all I've got to say is look at the rating/viewership for this last impact after BFG. That's all I really need to say to those of you bitching and complaining. Unlike y'all, I'll let the numbers do the talking for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back