• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WWE Universe eww

I believe that the reason that the WWE did away with the term "fans" is actually not a marketing ploy, but for tax purposes. Professional sports venues are often subject to additional taxes. This is why WWE has been trying to call themselves "sports entertainment" instead of "sports". The term "fans" is typically something that is referred to with respect to sports venues. So the WWE calling their fans the "WWE universe" helps the WWE in separating themselves from sports venues and additional taxes.

It may sound silly and a mere change in semantics, but in gray areas of tax law, every little bit can help.

Of course, I could be completely off base here but I'm pretty sure that I heard a while back that was why the WWE was adopting the term "universe"

HA...

I've never really thought about it until this thread, but yea I agree with you it does seem pretty corny... Definitely couldn't pull off using this term a few years ago, it's for the kiddies I guess...

I probably wouldn't mind it as much if they didn't say it as often as they do... Just about every face wrestler, mostly Cena, uses it in their promos... and like others have said already, Jerry Lawler and Michael Cole use it non-stop... Bottom line, yes it is a corny and lame term that I can handle, but I'd prefer to see it gone.

What's wrong with being referred to as a WWE fan? You don't see NFL call their fans "NFL Universe" or the NBA call their fans "NBA Universe."It's ridiculous and I completely agree with the TS.

What's wrong with being referred to as a WWE fan? You don't see NFL call their fans "NFL Universe" or the NBA call their fans "NBA Universe."It's ridiculous and I completely agree with the TS.

That's because nobody is a fan of the NFL, they are a fan of teams, and you get names like Cheeseheads etc. The WWE Universe is a fucking horrendous name, but I don't care that they call their fans that. It gives people a bit of an identity above "fans", but if you don't like it, don't use it. Who gives a shit, you know?

I still don't get why this is a big deal, its a term of endearment to casuals who want to feel like they're part of the program, which is really the whole point of wrestling, to get the fans involved. The name gets a huge pop every time it's said, so it's obviously working. Is it a little corny? Yeah, it's a little corny. But come on, it's hardly a reason to change the station or stop watching WWE, they're just trying to appeal to and connect with their audience.

And for all the people who say, "Why can't we just be referred to as fans?" The flipside is, why do we have to be?

Fan implies that you're outside looking in, the "WWE Universe" makes it seem like the audience is really a part of the action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back