• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comedy in Music

Nate DaMac

Fuck erbody but me
Why don't we ever talk about comedic music around here? I know I'm not the only person who enjoys listening to funny shit. So here, this a thread for us to discuss funny songs.

Probably the most famous guy in the Comedy genre is one Weird Al Yankovich. A little bit tame for my taste, but you cannot deny the man's influence to the current generation. His creativity was off the charts.

A personal favorite of mine is Jon Lajoie. I saw him doing a set on Comedy Central once and I was instantly a fan. Came to find out that he had already been a bit of an internet obsession from his time on The League which is a fucking hilarious show if you haven't seen it. Funny dude.

I expect you motherfuckers to post shit here. If I end up being the only person in this thread, then that's what I'll do, but I know you bastards listen to funny shit too.

I enjoy some stuff of Weird Al's, his cover of Chamillionaire was a catchy tune, the video was brilliant, one of his best pieces of work. Over here in Ireland we have a duo called The Rubberbandits, they're two well educated guys from a notorious rough part of the isle called Limerick. My brother was in college with both of them and once they finished, neither could get jobs, so they took the stereotype in the county and began writing songs based off the culture. They're nothing special in-terms of performance and some of the lyrics may be misleading due to the culture, but you'll get a couple of the puns.

I quite like Steel Panther

I like how they parody the glam bands of the 80s with their look, persona, lyrics and music. But what I find interesting is how they were all in proper glam bands before they formed Steel Panther. I like how they take the piss out of the glam bands from the 80s with their lyrics relating to sex, drugs and rock n roll and sometimes cheesy ballads.

[YOUTUBE]yfB7vF7nCdA&ob=av3e[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HAvXHpLwJA4&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

Another thing is they're all around 40 which makes it even more humorous

S.mouse.

This probably wont really count, but Australian comedian/actor Chris Lilley created the rap character S.mouse for his show 'Angry Boys' to poke fun at young breakout rap stars, supposedly Soulja Boy was an inspiration.

I quite like Jonathan Coulton's work, as well as a direct influence of his in They Might be Giants. Coulton has a lot of really nice acoustic based humorous songs that generally revolve around geek/nerd culture but occasionally delve into pop culture. Here's a few that I really like.

[YOUTUBE]S6vnM9I7HIo[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]qYodWEKCuGg[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]NeV9gsl5jR0[/YOUTUBE]

S'all about this man for me. Tim Minchin. Over the years, his stuff has just gotten better. I can't really put fault to him at all, he is pure genius.

One of my favourite pieces, "Cont". Listen to it all if you can, the comedy hook is right in the middle.

[YOUTUBE]W35-wZU1lGI[/YOUTUBE]

Or this one, F Sharp. If you're musically inclined, this one may be funnier than if you're not.

[YOUTUBE]9UWtcSvtiQw[/YOUTUBE]

Either way, his music is very smart and sometimes, very, VERY funny.

This is probably my favourite part of the CKY2K video that Bam Margera, Ryan Dunn, Brandon DiCamillo and others did before Jackass and is just a completely random rap about a Chinese delivery guy.
The proper video is worth watching but there's a couple of bits with girls flashing so the karaoke video will need to suffice.

Apart from Steel Panther (who I rate as talented musicians as much as their music is about tits and cocks), and the odd Weird Al song, I don't really have many "comedy" songs on my ipod except for this band.

The Macc Lads- a group of drunk blokes from Macclesfield in the North West of England, who aren't going any more but used to be a big hit around the pubs and clubs in the area, regularly getting banned for the offensive content of their songs. They are actually good musicians, but the lyrics about beer, fucking, chips, gravy and tits and the accent of the lead singer meant they would only ever be a comedy act.

[YOUTUBE]NTfZCg6zj9M[/YOUTUBE]

Actually using the music from a David Bowie song I can't remember the title of....

[YOUTUBE]n9B1PrCckSk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]gaGrzSJAWYc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]XxkoSbbGxB8[/YOUTUBE]

Quite offensive stuff really, but typical Northern working class humour. I am quite surprised they were ever allowed to release any albums, but I am pretty sure they did.

[YOUTUBE]aqDu47GbQWk[/YOUTUBE]

It's a really stupid song, but this is one of my favorite songs by Macklemore. He's not usually a comedic artist, but this song slays me every single time I hear it. He basically shits on every single redneck/overzealous patriotic American out there, pointing out some of our problems as a nation, all the while being hilarious as fuck. Seriously. Great shit.

Elro. Not only is he by far the funniest musician I've ever heard, he can actually spit. I mean, this is just his F64, I've probably listened to it about 50 times, still find it hilarious every time, in fact, his Warm Up Sessions is just as funny, but I've already copied the link to this one. He's just released a new mixtape, but I'm not going to put loads of videos, if you find this funny, check out the rest of his stuff, it's all good.

[YOUTUBE]Mx-C0tFa8YM[/YOUTUBE]

Actually, I will get another link. This is Scrabble of his new mixtape, with Manga from Roll Deep and my personal favourite grime artist JME. Love it already.

[YOUTUBE]pwLHowGeXms[/YOUTUBE]

Honorable mentions go to JME and Lunar C. I'm sure there are others, I may come back sometime in the future, nice thread.

Great thread topic! When I logged into the forums tonight, I did so with the intention to created a "music comedy" thread. I really had to dig to find this thread (I searched the entire forum for the word "comedy", and found this thread buried on the 13th page), but I'm glad I found it!

I was just listening to "The Jerky Boys". They make prank phone calls, not music (or novelty songs), but I figured they'd at least have to get an honorable mention here. This call is one of my favorites; the bit about stepping on piss clams gets me every time!

[YOUTUBE]DUdwHBiWUg0[/YOUTUBE]

Weird Al is/was a no-brainer, I'm glad he was mentioned so early in the thread. I've been listening to him since the mid-eighties (when I was four or five years old), and his stuff never gets old. I still pull "Dare to be Stupid" (the entire album, not merely the title track) up on my iPod, along with all his other released material.

Here's one of my favorite songs by Al & Co.:

[YOUTUBE]kWD5gdpt4Dw[/YOUTUBE]

Okay, now...HOW IN THE BLOODY HELL has Tenacious D not been mentioned in this thread yet??? The D is arguably one of the funniest groups of all time. This track is from their first (self-titled) album, and features the always hilarious Dave Grohl.

Side note - Dave Grohl has been in SOOO many funny music videos over the years, it's ridiculous. He did funny ones with Nirvana (I find "In Bloom" hilarious, although some might not), Foo Fighters ("Everlong", "Big Me", "Low", "Learn to Fly", & probably more I'm forgetting), and Queens of the Stone Age ("No One Knows") just to name a few. Yeah, Mr. Grohl has definitely ****ed himself out as a studio drummer. He's also worked with Killing Joke, Nine Inch Nails, Scream, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures, Tom Petty, and (the weirdest example) The Bangles just to name a few more. I'm sure there are more bands he's worked with, but those are just the ones off the top of my head. Grohl's kind of a hero of mine, can you guess why? LOL! I also remember one of those "vh1 countdown" shows, where they counted down the funniest 20 videos of all time (or something like that). Dave Grohl was in at least three of them! Awesome!

I was one of those nerds that absolutely HAD to be home to watch Mr. Show and Tenacious D on Friday nights in the mid to late 1990s. They used to be on at Midnight, and if I wasn't going to be home I'd set my VCR to tape both.

Their HBO show was my introduction to Tenacious D, and I used to have the entire series on tape. In the days of Morpheus and KaZaA, I had all of the shows downloaded to my computer (and that took a LONG time back then, before I got a cable modem). When the first D album came out, I was so excited. I was also nerdy enough to get the "first" version of their self-titled debut (because I bought it the first week), which has the babies on the back cover (the babies were removed on copies that were released later, due to somebody crying about it being "satanic" or something). My friends and I must have listened to that album dozens of times; while playing cards, car rides, you name it. When we weren't listening to the CD, we were quoting it (along with the D episodes). When "The Complete Masterworks" DVD was released, I bought it the very first day it was available. My double-dipped cream dreams had been realized. I would have bought all their stuff from Captain Ed (while wearing clogs and using karate to kick your ass), if it would have been possible.

The D movie ("The Pick of Destiny") was a letdown to many, but I was one of the few who actually enjoyed it. The newest Tenacious D album ("Rize of the Fenix") is fantastic as well, do yourself a favor and get a copy! Back on track - here's one of my favorite videos ("Tribute", from their first record) from JB & KG:

[YOUTUBE]JzPXFTq1iWw[/YOUTUBE]

Last, but definitely not least comes The Flight of the Conchords (no, I didn't spell "Conchords" incorrectly, that's how Bret & Jemaine spell it). Like Tenacious D, these guys gained most of their notoriety from their two season HBO sitcom. I first learned about these guys when they performed on HBO's "One Night Stand" in the 2005 season. Coincidentally, I had just moved to a new apartment at the time and got my first DVR about a month before their comedy special aired. I kept their performance on my DVR for over a year, and made everyone watch it when they came to my place. It got to the point where my girlfriend would say "ugh, not again...". Their HBO sitcom (which debuted a couple of years after their "One Night Stand" performance) didn't disappoint either, it became a staple of my Sunday nights (along with all the other great HBO original programming).

I did manage to find copies of their BBC radio show on the internet, which is worth a listen or two. A lot of the stuff they did on their radio show did end up becoming plots for their sitcom, however. Murray is on the radio show as well (as their manager), although the character has a different name (Brian, if I'm not mistaken?). If you're a fan of comedic music, but not a fan of the Conchords then you must be running late for your dick meeting, gingerballs.

This track is from their HBO "One Night Stand" episode, which was my introduction to Bret & Jemaine. This song always made everyone laugh the hardest out of everything they did in this performance. They performed this song on their sitcom as well, but in my opinion this version is far superior.

[YOUTUBE]WGOohBytKTU[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks for letting me share my favorites with everyone (even though this thread is probably a million years old!), I had a lot of fun typing this out!

I forgot to include this song on my post last night. I can hardly believe I forgot it, since it's one of my favorites. Unlike the others I posted earlier (J-Boys, Al, Tenacious D & The Conchords), these guys are the epitome of what I consider a novelty group. I say that because I don't think any of their other stuff is nearly as genius as this song is.

As a musician myself, I've done a few of these mash-ups (whatever you'd call it) for my friends as well...if nothing else, just to prove that a lot of songs use the same chord progressions (not always in the same key, mind you - but the same progressions anyway). I'm sure every musician has a few progressions like this, that they can plug many songs and/or lyrics into; but these guys took it a step further by really working at it. They must have spent an extremely long time coming up with all the tunes, and this song is done brilliantly. If you haven't heard it before, please enjoy it!

[YOUTUBE]oOlDewpCfZQ[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back