• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cole Cheapshots Jim Ross

Jeff

Pre-Show Stalwart
Did anyone else notice this when they watched Raw last night. During the Jericho/Cena VS Miz/Sheamus match Cole starts talking about egos. Cole said, sorry its not a exact quote but something along the lines of.

"King you know something about Egos"

where King responded with

"Yeah I sit next to you every night, you have the biggest ego I know."

The Cole responded with "I was talking about your time sitting next to JR".

Anyone else notice that? If you did what was your take on it?

I must not have been paying attention last night as I never heard Cole blabber his mouth off, but I will take your word for it. I find it really funny how Michael Cole can try and take a shot at Jim Ross. Maybe it was to garner heat from us internet fans again, but who really knows. Cole is a mediocre announcer, maybe even abysmal to some, so for him to verbally attack one of professional wrestling's greatest commentators is something I just laugh at. Cole will never be on the level of someone like JR, so maybe he envies that? All I know is that every night I hear his voice, I just kind of role my eyes. I have never liked Cole and I absolutely love his "shoots" on the internet fans like ourselves, because it's apparently his only way of staying relevant. This pot shot right here proves this very point more than ever.

Trusted I wasn't paying attention but it sounds like something Cole would do.

I find myself very confused over where exactly to place Michael Cole. Is he a face or a heel?

To get back on topic, for him to say something like that is, in itself laughable. Cole has zero talent on the mic, and always will have. Jim Ross is simply put, the greatest wrestling colour commentator ever, full stop. Michael Cole will only ever be remembered as JR's half ass replacement, nothing more.

Did anyone else notice this when they watched Raw last night. During the Jericho/Cena VS Miz/Sheamus match Cole starts talking about egos. Cole said, sorry its not a exact quote but something along the lines of.

"King you know something about Egos"

where King responded with

"Yeah I sit next to you every night, you have the biggest ego I know."

The Cole responded with "I was talking about your time sitting next to JR".

Anyone else notice that? If you did what was your take on it?

I think you are reading WAY too much into the comments made last night. I didn't perceive that as a cheap shot whatsoever. I simply think it was Cole trying to be funny and, as per usual, not doing a very good job of it. He tried to poke fun at Lawler, and the King thinks on his feet pretty well and cut him off and turned it around on him. Cole was trying to save face and did a piss poor job. There was no cheap shot whatsoever in my opinion. I would say that in actuality, Cole has a lot of respect for Jim Ross, I think that's pretty universal with regards to Ross.

As usual, this is just the IWC nitpicking and overanalyzing every comment, every syllable, every action, every gesture, and reading something which is not actually there.

I heard it,but I didn't think anything of it,the announcers always rib each other,as well as past announcer/announcers for other shows.It's what they do,it's witty banter.Don't read too far into and make this into something it's not.

I heard this but missed the what Michael Cole said last. But I don't think it was a cheap shot. Everyone in WWE, and even most in TNA, regard JR as the, if I may, "Bret Hart" of announcers. Also, if you recall The King actually was giggling when the last line was delivered.

I think it was a bit of a shot, but I'm pretty sure that it was tongue-in-cheek.

I'd say that it would, most likely, not be Michael Cole's opinion. My money's on it being ordered for him to say by Vince through his head-set, we all know how Vince likes to take shots at JR for fun.

I was more shocked they didn't even mention HBK once last night. Hell he lives in San An, would've loved for him to be the guest host last night, as he could've fitted right in with the Nexus stuff (on the mike) and made up for Bret Hart not being there

I thought he was trying to take a shot at Lawler not J.R.

J.R used to argue with Lawler, i'm pretty sure J.R has said about Lawlers big ego in the past, when Lawler was a heel commentator.

So Cole was saying "King, you know something about big egos" i.e King's ego.

Cole: "I was talking about your time sitting next to J.R". i.e When King was a heel with a big ego.

Cole is pathetic, but so is Lawler. Remember @ the start of the show, when Jericho said that Cena was as big a threat to the company as the Nexus? During the main event, Cole repeated those comments, & Lawler said Jericho was absolutely right. Did Lawler give away a Cena heel turn with that answer? A few seconds later, Lawler tried to back track, saying that the WWE team was a threat to Nexus, or something like that. But, if at Summerslam Cena turns heel, people who were paying attention to RAW commentary would've known about it ahead of time.

Cole was just trying to be funny, he was making fun of king, king fired back, and cole defended himself. You're making too much out of nothing.

I heard it. At first i thought of it as a cheap shot. I was like "well damn here he goes taking a cheap shot at someone who doesn't announce anymore.", but after thinking about it. I think he was just being Michael Cole. I don't think he was trying to be serious or poke at J.R.

If you had actually paid attention, you would have recognized that Cole's comment was not a shot at JR, but rather an attempt to deflect the King's comment away from himself. He wasn't taking a shot at JR, as much as he was just deflecting the verbal jab King gave to Cole.

Wow, talk about reading WAY too much into a comment.

I think Michael Cole is in a stage right now where he simply doesn't know what he wants to be when he "grows up." Is he going to be the straight man (a la Tony Schiavone) like he has been in the past, or is he going to try and play the heel role a little more. He's kind of a tweener announcer now, if there could ever be one.

The Jim Ross comment was probably a really bad comeback to the joke cited. In other words, with proper emphasis it should be read as "I was talking about YOUR time sitting next to JR.", implying that JR had to deal with the Kings ego, just as Cole has to now. If not, it was indeed "heel" Cole taking a shot at a loved and respected announcer to generate some heat. Either way, I don't think Ross is sweating it one way or the other. If I were in his shoes, I certainly wouldn't, especially knowing where I stood in the industry and where Michael Cole does.

micheal cole was making of fun of Lawler not JR lol...i feel bad for cole...he messed up his line yesterday too lol

Clearly Cole was not trying to insult JR. Cole was simply trying to defend himself afte King's comment. I find I hilarious how the IWC instantly attacks Cole for every small comment he makes.

Tried to be funny and failed horribly, but it wasn't really a cheap shot at all at JR. It was just a joke that wasn't funny and that shouldn't be read into anymore then that. They all have a lot of respect for each other and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Cole is pathetic, but so is Lawler. Remember @ the start of the show, when Jericho said that Cena was as big a threat to the company as the Nexus? During the main event, Cole repeated those comments, & Lawler said Jericho was absolutely right. Did Lawler give away a Cena heel turn with that answer? A few seconds later, Lawler tried to back track, saying that the WWE team was a threat to Nexus, or something like that. But, if at Summerslam Cena turns heel, people who were paying attention to RAW commentary would've known about it ahead of time.

No, Lawler was just stating that as to prevent a Jericho face turn. People need to realize Cena is NOT turning heel during this. He's just not. People need to stop looking into every small detail wondering how to swerve it to make a Cena heel turn.

On to the subject. I think Cole was just making fun of King. King had a big ego back in the Raw days of say, Evolution. Plus announcers are known for making inside jokes at one another, even if the audience doesn't get it.

I agree that it sounds more like Cole just being Cole,and as usual, messing up his lines.Though I can see where you might have thought he cheapshoted J.R.

If Cole was taking a cheapshot on Jim Ross on his own I think the boys in the back would give Cole a lot of heat, far as I know JR is well respected in the back by the wrestlers and other people in the wwe, I think the cheap shot if any was coming from vince, maybe big shot vince is still upset cause Jim Ross was at UFC 116 supporting a friend in a well antiscipated return of Brock Lesnar, which I think makes vince a very petty person, in vince's eyes nothing else exist other then wwe, but the real people know there is UFC, TNA, WWE and other sports and entertainment out there, vince is the only one who declines to reconize and punishes people who do as Ross was at UFC and since then I heard his part in the start of the show has been replace, not cheap shots happening, come on grow up vince, we have.

If Cole was taking a cheapshot on Jim Ross on his own I think the boys in the back would give Cole a lot of heat, far as I know JR is well respected in the back by the wrestlers and other people in the wwe, I think the cheap shot if any was coming from vince, maybe big shot vince is still upset cause Jim Ross was at UFC 116 supporting a friend in a well antiscipated return of Brock Lesnar, which I think makes vince a very petty person, in vince's eyes nothing else exist other then wwe, but the real people know there is UFC, TNA, WWE and other sports and entertainment out there, vince is the only one who declines to reconize and punishes people who do as Ross was at UFC and since then I heard his part in the start of the show has been replace, not cheap shots happening, come on grow up vince, we have.

He's not mad at the fact that he was at the event, but that he was shown there. WWE employees can go to any event they want (UFC, TNA, ROH) to hang out with their friends backstage or just to watch the show, they just can't be shown on the program. JR didn't get on tv on purpose, it's just unfortunate that he was though.

I will agree to you that it might have been Vince still a little upset at JR for being on UFC programming. Or it could have just been an innocent joke between announcers.

I'd say that it would, most likely, not be Michael Cole's opinion. My money's on it being ordered for him to say by Vince through his head-set, we all know how Vince likes to take shots at JR for fun.

I was more shocked they didn't even mention HBK once last night. Hell he lives in San An, would've loved for him to be the guest host last night, as he could've fitted right in with the Nexus stuff (on the mike) and made up for Bret Hart not being there

The King did mention HBK sometime after Cole read the GM's email and the last line said "if you're not down with that, I got two words for ya".

Another thing that I'm not sure people noticed last night is when John Cena was running down a list of Super Heroes that he said he was not. The last thing he said was something along the lines of "I'm certainly not Superman". I was wondering if he was poking fun at the Internet fan base that constantly talks crap on his Superman persona and finishes....IDK, food for thought I suppose.

Back on topic, Michael Cole is a joke, but I didn't take it as more than a fun little jab at the King (not J.R. if I heard correctly)

I'm happy that Jim Ross was even mentioned for a few seconds on Raw tonight considering that even know he still works with the company, WWE has pretty much wiped him from existence.

Have to admit I missed it. I did watch Raw, it's just that the extreme blandness of Cole and King's commentary leads to me switching off mentally a lot. After a while, all their boring jabbering becomes a big blur.

But from the sounds of it, there was nothing malicious in Cole's comment. He just fucked up his joke. Tends to do that a lot, unfortunately.

It was probably supposed to be a joke. Michael Cole says all kinds of things on the air and nobody really pays any attention because he's annoying. Even if it was a shot at JR, who cares? It's not that big of a deal.

never noticed it. then again i rarely notice anything cole and lawler say these days, and if i do i forget it quickly. probably just a poor attempt at a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back