• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cody Rhodes: "Dashing" again?

GLOBAL ICON

I <3 Wrestling and Soccer
My thread is going to be to the point because people tend to bash me all over if I go on way too long.

For the past 7-8 months, Cody had the "Dashing" gimmick where he got a tag-title run and a "main-event quality" tag. Then, during a match with Rey Mysterio, he broke his nose and kayfabe got "disfigured" and underwent "facial reconstruction surgery". After the fued with Rey, he still has that gimmick going.

So my question is, should Cody Rhodes turn "Dashing" again?

If yes, what would be the story to do so?

And please, don't bash me like you'll did in my previous threads. Please.

No. Dashing Cody Rhodes sucks.

"Disfigured" Cody Rhodes still kinda sucks, but I find him more entertaining. I still wish that mask wasn't clear so they would actually hide his face and it would have built the suspense of how bad he looked under it. Neither here nor there.

Cody Rhodes does sadly have about the same charisma as a sweat soaked towel, but he's been getting some legit sounding heat with his paperbag nonsense. The bad part is watching people actually clamor to get the bag so they can wear it. That kinda sucks the air out of the angle for me because Smarks are ruining the bit.

I wish they would just "Dash" him off to the Superstars party. Watching his matches is like listening to NPR.

even though you have an awesome name (GO LUDVIG BORGA.. CRUSH LEX LUGER!!!) and also hail from my home state of CT I have to disagree... He's a damn good wrestler and has risen from the ashes of Legacy, and gotten a gimmick that I thought was going to fail, but instead has turned him into a bigger star than he ever was beforehand...

Hes capable in the ring and is also learning how to deliver the good promo's that bring out the main event level talent that the WWE wants....

As for the Original Poster... I don't know if any angle would instantly bring back the "dashing" cody rhodes gimmick... Perhaps when Goldust returns, he could try to get Cody to see that he isn't really "Grotesque" as he seems to think he is, and tries to continually get him to see the beauty that he still has (over several weeks) and eventually they start tagging together, only for Cody to betray his brother and say "Thanks for the pep talks, but there's no way I could tag with a FREAK like you...."

something like that might be able to work

Absolutely NOT!!!

"Grotesque" Cody Rhodes is the best thing to ever happen to Cody's career. He's a serious heel, and a dominant one. He's twice the heel "Dashing" was. Not only is the gimmick doing very well for him, it's much less generic than "Dashing".

He's more over than he's ever been, more entertaining than he's ever been, and more relevant than he's ever been.

Changing him back would be utter stupidity at this point.

Absolutely NOT!!!

"Grotesque" Cody Rhodes is the best thing to ever happen to Cody's career. He's a serious heel, and a dominant one. He's twice the heel "Dashing" was. Not only is the gimmick doing very well for him, it's much less generic than "Dashing".

He's more over than he's ever been, more entertaining than he's ever been, and more relevant than he's ever been.

Changing him back would be utter stupidity at this point.

But do you realize this Disfigured gimmick can't keep going for that long. This type just doesn't last long and he will have to find something new. Give it maybe 2 years and this character will get boring and when ever cody gets a new gimmick we'll see how versatile he can be.

I think Rhodes' gimmick is one that needs to keep evolving until he becomes a main eventer. Neither his Dashing and Disfigured gimmick are ones that spark "headliner" but it does show he knows how to carry himself as a singles competitor. I think one more evolution or change to his gimmick would do the trick.

I like the "Undashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick and it shows how good he actually is, but jus like Citiboy7 said, it can't go on forever, so if he's going to get a mainevent push he needs to get it quick before this gimmick becomes stale

But do you realize this Disfigured gimmick can't keep going for that long. This type just doesn't last long and he will have to find something new. Give it maybe 2 years and this character will get boring and when ever cody gets a new gimmick we'll see how versatile he can be.

so you're saying he'd have the gimmick for 2 years before it'd get old????? Isn't that something good????

Look at Mankind.. ( A similar character who was "disturbed" for his initial run) which began in 96.... He then became dude love in 97... Thus his initial "run" was 1-1.5 years... After that whenever mankind appeared he adapted the character to be more the insecure loser guy, instead of the deranged mankind calling goldust his mommy (or other versions)..

Yes eventually the "Grotesque" cody would get old, but with the exception of the Undertaker, every gimmick eventually gets old ( and even with taker, he had to go to the american badas to eventually come back as the deadman because it was getting old..)

Cody Rhodes' transition from Dashing to Disfigured is one of the best and one of the most believable character transitions that I have seen in a long time. Dashing Cody Rhodes was somewhat of an overly arrogant goof who was entertaining but someone whom people were never going to take seriously.

His turn from Dashing to Disfigured has given his character a dimension that it was missing, and that is seriousness. Now we know that Cody means business. Of course there are some aspects of his gimmick that I do not like, like the stuff with the paper bags. It is way too gimmicky and certainly not required. I think that the WWE needs to focus on this new found ruthlessness that Cody's character has gotten and not only the fact that he has been disfigured. His disfigurement was a great way to build the character but now the WWE needs to go beyond that.

Maybe WWE could make a storyline of how getting disfigured was a boon for Cody as before getting disfigured, he was besotted with his looks but now that good looks are no longer a part of his personality, he has gotten more focused and ruthless.

Either way going back to the Dashing gimmick isn't a solution. It will make Cody a goofy midcarder all over again. It is a step backwards rather than a step forward.

No, Cody isn't "dashing" to start with. He has the outdated 60s looks, and there is always that crazy, psychopathic look in him too.

Drew Mcintyre on the other hand is dashing (handsome).

Justin Gabriel is dashing. When he just turned heel, girls actually screamed and cheered for him. Now that he has transition to a downright scum, with all the cowardly acts he has to do with the CORRE, these cheers have pretty much all gone away.

Bottom line... the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick is ludicrous to begin with.

No, Cody isn't "dashing" to start with. He has the outdated 60s looks, and there is always that crazy, psychopathic look in him too.

Drew Mcintyre on the other hand is dashing (handsome).

Justin Gabriel is dashing. When he just turned heel, girls actually screamed and cheered for him. Now that he has transition to a downright scum, with all the cowardly acts he has to do with the CORRE, these cheers have pretty much all gone away.

Bottom line... the "Dashing" Cody Rhodes gimmick is ludicrous to begin with.

Does kayfabe mean something to you?
Sin Cara doesnt use masks outside the ring, and Orton doesnt crawl like a viper in Hollywood...

Back to Topic:
Cody Rhodes will be "dashing" once again, i'm pretty sure...
The way they built him, was because of an injury that he repaired!!
the day that Cody Rhodes becomes "Dashing" again, will be the day that or Orton or Ted Dibiase will break his nose again....
He will be super happy, saying that he is dashing again, and later in a match a lot of punches in the face or Randy Orton kick in the face!!

And "Dashing" Cody Rhodes will be frustrated because he will have to make a new plastic or whatever!! Becoming once again, Disfigured "Cody Rhodes"...

i love the new gimmick but the mask really bothers me its transparent so you could clearly see under it, id like it if they changed to a mask similar to kanes 2 mask

I don't think that Cody needs to go back to the Dashing character. There would be no way to explain him going back right now within kayfabe. His transformation into broken Cody has been great for his career. The only thing I miss about Dashing Cody is his entrance theme. That aside.... if (and that's a pretty large "if") WWE decided to change him back into Dashing Cody then I would have one of the divas (it doesn't matter which one as long as she's a face) convince him he's still dashing and Rey didn't do anything to him. This would then lead to a push for both of them because then he'd turn on her, and that way he'd be Dashing heel Cody again. Broken Cody is more interesting though and this character could lead to a main event run some day so he should not change back.

I find this gimmick to be great, the only thing I wish they would have done with the gimmick was rather than giving Cody the face mask, they should have used more makeup to make it look as if his face was recovering from the surgery.

Cody has done great with this gimmick, and the more weeks that pass the better he gets. To say that he is crap, is complete nonsense. He's improved in the ring, and on the mic. Hes leaps and bounds ahead of all three of his former tag team partners (Holly, Ted, and Dream) He has managed to have a quality feud with Rey, and did I mention he continues to improve week end and week out. I also find him to be a lot more entertaining than the current WHC Champion on Smackdown and hope that he gets a main event level push.

Futureshockwwe, remind me to green rep you in the future. Your bit on orton crawling around like a viper in hollywood literally made me lol.

I agree with most everyone here. The dashing gimmick was shit, but cody made it work. Now he has a great gimmick with mic time every week. Who was the last mid card guy to get mic time every week? The miz. I definitely see a title run in the next few months for cody if he keeps this gimmick.

I always thought the clear mask was the whole point with Rhodes's character - he was never truly disfigured, but his arrogance and vanity were so outsized that even a minor flaw convinced him he was hideous.

It's a great character, a surprisingly complicated one, and Rhodes is playing it to the hilt. The bags are a great idea - eventually they won't even need to hand them out, Cody fans will bring them to the arena. Rhodes should milk this gimmick for all it's worth, he can have a very nice heel run and possibly a great face run after that.

Cody's current gimmick is much better than his Dashing one ever was. It wasn't the greatest gimmick in the world to begin with, but Cody truly was the right one to give it to because it finally made him into someone interesting and finally gave him a true character. I see that as merely a stepping stone though to his current Disfigured gimmick. With this one he has developed a more aggressive approach and is an even more interesting character.
Truth be told, he's one of my favorites in WWE right now. I have wanted to like him since his debut several years ago and knew he had it in him, but before Dashing he was always so bland. Contrary to most people's beliefs, I always thought he would be the star to come out of the Rhodes/Dibiase tandem and it appears I was spot on.
He has developed immensely in the last year and if he can continue, Cody will be in the main event by next year at this time. So I think he should stick with this gimmick for awhile. He reminds me of how Kane was when he first took of the mask except not the monster heel but more of a cold calculating heel. Seeing as Cody is a fan of comics and video games, I'll use the analogy that he is almost like a Doctor Doom type.

This is what I hate about the IWC. You guys overanalyze everything because you can't take someone seriously. There is nothing wrong with him bringing some sort of comic relief. He wasn't overly goofy. Just a narcissist with some funny things. I think the majority of IWC just wants a bunch of castrated motherfuckers in their main event. Which is sad if you ask me. A main eventer making me laugh would be nice every now and then.

That being said I really like where he is going with his character. I really miss the Dashing gimmick and I think he did a great job playing it but it would be a mistake to rehash and go back.

Cody Rhodes is the future of the WWE. his current gimmick is one that isn't done that often, or atleast, isn't done right that often, and he is doing it very well. His promos have been gold, and shows signs of Mankind. I hope he can keep it going and he needs to hurry up and get into another fued soon, to fuel this fire and keep it going. This is the best he's done since he's been on his own, and he's only getting better.

He just has one thing to tell everyone..
\/ \/ \/​

I loved the Dashing Cody Rhodes gimmick but once he adopted the new Grotesque gimmick I fell in love with it as well. Now I have the Dashing gimmick in real life.

I actually believe that he could run the storyline for a few years using it as an excuse not to defend his title "via doctors request".

It could work out so many ways.

I don't want them to drop the ball on Cody but when they moved Orton to SD I knew it would fuck up Cody's push to the top. But the only way they could have made it worse if they sent him to Raw.

Cody is one of my top 3 favourites right now and I have my money on him. I just hope they never turn him face because he has everything to be the perfect heel.

For some reason I think he need a valet like HBK.

The dashing gimmick was ok, the disfigured one was interesting, but I think it's run it's course. Whether it's cody's fault or the writers, I think it's pretty much been milked to death now. There's only so many times you can hear him drone on about how hideous and hypocritical people are. It's the same promo every time now...either kick it up a notch so it doesn't feel stale, or move on to something else.

I enjoyed the Dashing gimmick. Cody did such a good job of playing this cocky young heel, who loved his good looks. He thought he was better than everyone, and he would go out of his way to make you know it. The Dashing vignettes, where Cody would teach the fans proper hygiene were hilarious. Cody did a fine job with the Dashing character, but I do enjoy his current gimmick a lot more. His character is darker, and he always sounds so bitter and angry during his promos. Cody's current character has a lot more depth, and this character could be Cody's ticket into the main event, because he has done a marvelous job so far.

Should he return to the Dashing gimmick? I guess it could happen, but I don't think it should. There's a chance his "damaged" looks could heal, and we could see the cocky and confident version of Rhodes return. But Cody's promos would probably feel a little weird. He's spent so much time talking about his horrid face, and he makes you feel his pain (the paper bags that are used to cover fans and opponents heads). I think a lot of effort has been put into this character, and Cody has been fantastic as the broken man.

It would be a shame if WWE decided to scrap this character, because this gimmick has been Rhodes' true calling.

he cant return to dashing cody rhodes but his undashing rhodes gimmick is even better. cody hit the nail 2 times already with his gimmick the guys good. This gimmick will ride him to the great future he deserves but this gimmick are one of those that have an expiration date on it and its limited so in a years time it would have run its corse but cody will be ready to move on i expect.

-cody rhodes really sucks, they should fire him or send him to fcw cause he is poor in-ring, the only things he has going for him is that he has good mic skills and he is a major heel, oh and he attracts major heat. the only reason he is in the wwe still is cause of dusty rhodes.

-this new character of his is the only thing that has been overly good for his career, other then randy orton a long while back, and even that isnt overly helpful.

In my mind-set, Cody Rhodes is neither dashing nor ugly. He has been and still is a very handsome young man with a lot of talent on his hands. If you ask me, Cody should drop the dashing gimmik and lose that plastic mask he wears on his face. The problem with Cody being "disfigured" is that no one takes him seriously, no one thinks he ever has anything decent to say. Though he usually uses his mic skills to bash cities and the fans if he had anything reasonable to say it's unlikely anyone would notice. So shoud Cody drop the immik? Of course. There's no question about it. But if I'm the only one who thinks so, then I'll just shut up

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back