Cody and Drew

The Calgary Kid

Pre-Show Stalwart
In the past few weeks, we've seen the forming of an alliance between "Dashing" Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre. On Monday, they faced Morrison and Truth to determine contendership for the tag titles. I was quite glad that this match ended in a no contest, as I didn't want either team to win, especially this one.

Cody's new gimmick is a great way of reinventing him, and has garnered him some heat. It's indicative of a push and a new direction for his career, not just in general, but as a singles wrestler, rather than as part of a tag team or stable (Legacy, and with Holly before that). He's proven, in just a short time, that he can cut it on his own and has done a tremendous job getting over. His time on NXT has also helped with that. Why, then, are we changing gears? In my opinion, they have nothing for McIntyre to do, and they felt like they had to somehow get him some heat and direction in order to keep him relevant. Enter Rhodes, who they probably think is one of the more credible people to help him and add some justification for any sort of push.

Drew McIntyre is stale. He's boring. He was given a significant push right off the bat, did nothing with it and still hasn't really been able to get over, even after being gifted a title, which he never looked credible holding, and humiliating Teddy Long. In my opinion, he's got no charisma, isn't intimidating, can't cut a good promo and is average, at best, in the ring. The only time I've seen him put on a decent match is when Christian led him around the ring by his nose. Why he's even gotten a push and the "chosen one" gimmick is baffling to me.

Sticking Cody into a tag team is likely to derail his momentum and pairing him with McIntyre was arguably the worst way to do it. I don't mind the occasional random pairing, but it has to make sense and the pair has to have chemistry. These two don't have that and their characters have nothing in common. I think that Drew might benefit from it, but it's going to be at the expense of Cody, who, in my opinion, should be continuing to build himself up, move up the card, and possibly feud for the IC title once a face takes it from Ziggler.

In short, they're really doing a disservice to Cody here, and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking that. Do you see this going anywhere? What do you think it will do for Cody's push, positive or negative?

[youtube]smdBEU3V6QY[/youtube]

Oh Drew, how far you've come, from tag teaming with a far better (and criminally misused) partner to another.

I'm going to be honest here. I am not a fan of Drew McIntyre, but I am a fan of "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. Just thought I should get that out of the way. And this is part of the reason I don't like this team. Because teaming with another waste of roster space will simply hold him back. DCR needs a good feud to solidify his position in the upper midcard before geting ready to ME in a couple of years. While, teaming with Drew won't be a disaster, it's something he doesn't need and only a hinderance to him.

Yeah, I have to agree with The Calgary Kid.
Cody Rhodes has proven that he can hold his ground.
He is getting better on the microphone.
And he is getting better everytime he steps inside the ring.
He really has something going with this "Dashing" Cody Rhodes thing and I think that teaming him up with Drew McIntyre will just hold him back. To get this off of my chest I am not a fan of Drew McIntyre. I think he is boring and stale and if I was Vince I would be embarrassed to have called him "The Chosen One". I hate the fact that they are going to possibly win the WWE Tag Team Titles together. Cody Rhodes deserves to be in a feud right now to solidify himself in the upper mid-card to become the IC Champion by early - mid 2011. He just got out of Legacy and the Tag Team Division why make him go back when he has something good going? If anything Ted Dibiase Jr. should be teamed with somebody not Cody Rhodes.

i died of happiness on monday when the two were oficially put together. they are my favorite young stars beside ryder!

Hopefully it is only to make the tag titles seem a bit more relevant. I see the Tag Team division really making a comeback with the new titles and the E just wants to make it look like people still give a damn. DCR does not need Drew, Drew needs DCR. This coming from a guy who was an enormous mark for Drew until just recently. Dibiase is the one who could benefit from a tag team as he isn't doing much on Raw. Being a former tag champ let him help in the rebirth of tag team wrestling on WWE programming.

in all honesty, i do NOT want Dashing Cody Rhodes NEAR the Tag team division, he's TOO good to be going after those titles, instead, he should be chasing the World title really soon, maybe as soon as Undertaker wins it (which we know he will).

I think this is a great way to get Cody Rhodes airtime and to get Drew Mcintyre more over.

Cody Rhodes is great right now. His gimmick not only draws him great heat from the crowd but is also very entertaining, especially with the addition of the "Grooming Tips" segments. Anyone aligned with him will gain major heat by proxy, and thus this is perfect for Drew.

Now Drew was pretty over a few months back, but that seems to have waned and from reports the people in the back seemed to have soured on him. The pairing of himself with Cody will gain him more heat and give him more exposure, something that he will need if he is to survive and move up the ladder.

Now I think that Cody would be better suited wrestling for the Intercontinental Championship, but there is nothing saying that he could not do it at the same time. Imagine the two of them having the tag belts and at the same time Cody or even Drew having the IC title. They would not only look dominant, but they would gain more exposure due to them being able to travel between the two brands.

Really their combination is win win.

i think its a travesty dcr being paired with drew the only 2 good things about drew is his entrance music and the hot piece of ass he is married to. cody rhodes is by far the future of the wwe. he is great in the ring and is only getting better while drew is a talentless hack who cant even do a decent ddt.

I fail to see how this is a good thing. Once gain we are just seeing two mid-card singles stars thrown together in a random tag team that only accomplishes adding a temporary team to the division. Now while that gets uselessly accomplished these two get their singles careers out on hold because they will be stuck in the tag team scene for a little while. So instead of furthering the careers of two individuals, we are going to team them up for a while to spice up the tag team division. Makes a lot of sense I guess. It kind of makes sense for McIntyre since he has been on the rocks as of late. But Cody has been doing great since his re debut under the "Dashing" character. So I still don't see the point in them teaming up. Rhodes was in a tag team before it ended up going no where after a while and he went on to have a singles career and now he is teaming up with another partner once again? Now that's what you call progress!

i think its a travesty dcr being paired with drew the only 2 good things about drew is his entrance music and the hot piece of ass he is married to.

Not sure how good it is when that hot piece of ass beats him until he has to explain to friends that he ran into a door. But I agree with the general consensus here that this pairing is only more stalling for what should inevitably be a Dashing Cody Rhodes push.

This guy is always fun to watch in the ring even to the point of carrying MVP to a good match. No easy feat. He is always improving on the mic and his gimmick has such an old school feel to it that it's hard not to like. Hopefully this pairing is just a one month thing and they go their separate ways a la Chris Jericho and The Miz.

I personally like this Cody/McIntyre thing. I don't think it will take away from him looking like a singles competitor. Remember that there is a difference between a Tag Team and an Alliance. Legacy was a tag team. The Hart Dynasty is Tag Team.

This is an Alliance. JeriShow and the Two Man Power Trip were both an alliance
Even though Jericho and Big Show were Tag Champs we didn't see them as a Tag Team.
Morrison and Truth are one as well.

They have to be careful with it though, because Alliances can turn into tag teams(Miz/Morrison), and no one really wants to see that out of them when they're great singles competitors. It would liven up the division though.

I'm kind of on the fence with this pairing. For one thing it puts together my two favorite wrestlers in the WWE together, but it also brings them away from single competitions. I would just like this to be an alliance and have them go after single titles while competiting as a tag team. I like both Cody and Drew despite what others may say. I feel this is the future of SD but I would like to see them in singles competition more prominent but maybe this can help them become that.

I like the idea for this pairing. How many times do we see a pairing attempt to root out the older guys in the MIDCARD? Not very often, those feuds are usually saved for the main event but the WWE (or to be more specific, Michael Hayes) have come up with an intriguing pairing here.

I personally like both of them. I've always liked McIntyre, he's a solid in-ring performer and has improved over the past few months. Rhodes has really stepped up his game since leaving Legacy. He's come along with a great gimmick and his mic work is good, plus he's improved his in-ring work. This pairing could well be taking over the SmackDown midcard and possibly the Intercontinental Championship in the months to come.

'Dashing' Cody Rhodes should not be placed in another tag team, he's largely been part of a tag team for his entire run in WWE and as he has proved lately, he is good enough to be on his own. Putting him with McIntyre is just lazy, it's about time they got Cody involved in a proper singles feud, something that he can sink his teeth into and then continue to progress through the mid card. As of now, he has not had what I would call a serious singles feud/rivalry during his run in WWE and now is the time to give him one, he deserves it.

I know this is just some random team put together once again be the WWE, But I am going to love this team to death! These are my two favourite up and coming stars. I think it is awesome they are together and maybe they can with the WWE Tag Team Titles together. They could both benefit from this alot if they get used right together.

Drew McIntyre is stale. He's boring. He was given a significant push right off the bat, did nothing with it and still hasn't really been able to get over, even after being gifted a title, which he never looked credible holding, and humiliating Teddy Long. In my opinion, he's got no charisma, isn't intimidating, can't cut a good promo and is average, at best, in the ring.

Okay, that's it! You guys can't talk about my Drew like that and get away with it! I'll fight any of you in a steel cage to defend Drew.

And.....and....

......Okay, I feel better now. Actually, I love Drew but the early push and title he was given has done him a disservice; it's set many wrestling fans against him for receiving too much, too soon.... and from what we hear on the Internet, some of the wrestlers feel the same way about him. But he's got talent, he sells like mad and he's got the kind of evil personality that will serve him well in the long run. I also believe he'll eventually turn face and become a man the fans can get behind.

On the other hand Cody Rhodes has a nice little gimmick but it isn't translating into anything he can take into the ring. With or without Drew, Cody has his neat little vignettes and he can keep doing them but they mean nothing when he wrestles. He's technically proficient, but do we care about that quality in a heel? Was Steve Austin technically proficient? Cody's going to have to do some dastardly things in the ring to get us mad at him.

I like both these guys individually and together and think they were paired because WWE needs some tag teams. It's true, though, that they have little chemistry and have even less reason to be together (for storyline purposes).

So, no need to worry; they won't be a team for long.

I agree drew mcyIntire is hurting "dashing" cody rhodes chances of getting his push. I would him pairing with Ziggler or making the tank with the ferrari engine (i forgot his name) his bodyguard that protects his "Dashing" face. It sounds gay but it would work fine

i dont like the team of Cody Rhodes and Drew McIntyre, if you are going to team Drew with anyone, team him with someone that fits his style, plus, i think Cody NEEDS a world title push after the Undertaker and Kane feud, his gimmick is too good not to. As for McIntyre, if i would team him with anyone, maybe Swagger.

I think WWE shot itself in the foot with McIntyre and now is left trying to pick up the pieces. Ever since Vince McMahon proclaimed him as a "Future World Champion", WWE must have regretted going out on a limb like that. McIntyre was getting no heat at all for months, even when he was fueding with Hardy (one of the most over-lower card guys) he was only getting minimal heat. You could practically imagine Vince and creative kicking themselves backstage for getting so behind McIntyre and getting no response.

Sure, things improved with the feud with Teddy, and the Intercontinental Title, but now he's just faded into the background again. But still, WWE have put their money on this guy to be the future of the company, and they've got to stay behind him. So i reckon creative has just seen two problems (the non-existant tag division, and the plummeting overness of McIntyre) and thought "I know, lets kill two birds with one stone."

Will it work? It depends, if they take it forward into a fully-fledged tag team situation, then it's going to be down to Cody to carry the team, but I think that carrying on with an alliance could be good for both guys. I'm a huge Cody fan, and I think he's destined to be a World Champion in the future, but for now I think he needs that little push. I've seen it written elsewhere on this site that Cody's "Dashing" gimmick would never make it in the Main Event, and I agree to an extent. I think Cody's "Dashing" gimmick has weakened his character in that it's too much of a comedy gimmick. The whole "not-hitting-the-face-during-matches" thing is ridiculous and just makes a mockery of an otherwise promising young superstar. I think that Cody needs to show a more vicious edge to his character, and I think an alliance with Drew could help him to exhibit that, and in the end, help catapult him to the Main Event.

So, I think that this idea is an all-around good idea, and I hope it's just the start of WWE rebuilding the tag division. Whether that'll happen or not... well... I won't hold my breath...

I have absolutely no idea why this specific tag team should have me giving a fuck about them. They're good separately, but that's about it. Cody Rhodes is a decent tag team wrestler, but with Ted DiBiase, not with Drew McIntyre. They both wrestle nicely by themselves, and they're slightly over as heel by themselves, so exactly why WWE wants to pair them as another tag team, consisting of two people with a great future, but being held down by being a tag team.

Cody needs to be a singles wrestler, Drew needs to be a singles wrestler, not tag team wrestlers. Especially not if there's something for them in the future, and I'm sure there is. Being stuck with a tag team is definitely not the future for them. And a lot of singles wrestlers can testify to being stuck into a tag team, and not getting anywhere. It's completely different if you allow someone to get success because of the tag team, which is a rare case for the WWE tag teams (I can only really remember Jeri-Show who were formed, and benefited from it, Jericho made Show gold after all).

Yeah, not existed. For now at least I'm not, things could change, but they have to work hard for that.

I like these two in a team but I rather them on their own, I don't think Drew is pulling Cody down I just don't think they need to be in a tag team. I don't mind them having a sort of alliance but not an official tag team, I'm all them helping eachother beating someone down but like I said not an official tag team.

I think that the only good tag team partner Cody has ever had is Hardcore Holly. everyone else who has paired with him are boring

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back