• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

CM Punk "Shoot" - The Night WWE Changed?

I am Mr. Excitement

Occasional Pre-Show
Not gonna go on a rant. But it's simple

Obviously to me that night changed everything. We've been seeing better match-ups, offensive language is now being used more on TV. I mean look at John's Cena promo on the Rock last Mon.
Everything Punk said in his shoot was true. Including the John cena insult saying he kisses ass and all of that. Just looking back since the Shoot u cannot deny that the WWE has been re-landscaped.

What are your opinions?
Do u think WWE is going in a new direction?
And do u think the shoot is now leading John Cena to turn heel?

The landscape of the WWE HAD to change because of the amount of coverage the promo got and the type of things Punk said. Maybe Vince expected Punk to just go there and say Vince sucks and walk out but he said what he did and it would be stupid of WWE to act like it didnt happen and not capitalize on it. Yes, WWEs going in a new direction, but I doubt its going to lead to Cena turning heel. WWE still views Cena as a valuable asset and turning him heel could potentially hurt merch sales.

I was there that night. First show I ever saw. I knew the moment it was over, I had seen wrestling history.

Wrestling most certainly changed for the better that night. While we're not THAT much in a "reality" era, we certainly moved towards things that were more focused on logic. Sure, things haven't been perfect, nor have they held to logic as strictly as I'd have liked; but we're getting better matches, better storylines, and it seems like more passion out of guys that we've seen in years.

I wish people would stop trying to find "Historic" moments due to a big significance in something. It will happen.

Great night, no doubt but to say it changed Wrestling? Not a chance. WWE was on verge of a change and this was just part of it, a slow transition into a more edgy PG product, if you look at half of the PG rated movies they could pass for PG-13.

The whole Linda McMahon Senate crap was the reason for this in the first place, and when things didn't fly the way VKM thought it was gunna, he had to make a slow transition going "Seemingly Unnoticed" as he would be totally embarrassed and have his ego hurt for thinking otherwise in the process, my opinion stands and VKM obviously was waiting for a pivotal point where he could "Put the blame" on the more edgy WWE once fans started talking about this particular promo and looking for reasons to say that history has been made.

I"m not sure why more people don't read David Shoemaker on Grantland, but he covered this right after it happened

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6712903/punkd

This was the start of the Reality Era, where the curtain is pulled back a little bit to show the viewers a bit more of what's going on. Things like Johnny Laurinitis, the legit EVP of Talent Relations, being a more visible presence.

The issue is that this was to be the catalyst that changed WWE forever (and in my opinion, would have made it better than the Attitude Era). But HHH and Nash co-opted Punk's momentum and forced Punk to skew his "new" persona.

As far as Cena being a heel? Never. He's way too valuable as a face. His promo (and his future promos) will be delivered with more intensity - so he's undergoing a character change, but not to being a heel.

I"m not sure why more people don't read David Shoemaker on Grantland, but he covered this right after it happened

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6712903/punkd

This was the start of the Reality Era, where the curtain is pulled back a little bit to show the viewers a bit more of what's going on. Things like Johnny Laurinitis, the legit EVP of Talent Relations, being a more visible presence.

The issue is that this was to be the catalyst that changed WWE forever (and in my opinion, would have made it better than the Attitude Era). But HHH and Nash co-opted Punk's momentum and forced Punk to skew his "new" persona.

As far as Cena being a heel? Never. He's way too valuable as a face. His promo (and his future promos) will be delivered with more intensity - so he's undergoing a character change, but not to being a heel.

Yep. It had all the makings of being a game-changing night, especially for Punk. But thanks to "The Kliq" and "The Bubble" (WWE Corporate), Punk was buried in favor of another HHH push. Now we get watered-down Punk. I can hear the backstage goons now. "Punk isn't getting nearly the pops he was before. He must suck." Of course, it has nothing to do with the fact that they completely muted his character to nothing more than John Cena Lite.

What are your opinions?
It was good at the time, but CM Punk has fallen down far since that big shoot. He was interesting and different when it all happened, and then a few weeks later he was boring, and bland again.

Nope, its stayed roughly on course. Punk and Bryan may be champions now, but their no where near the level of Orton or Cena in terms of star power. Sorry.

Cena was a face when the shoot happen, has been a face since the shoot happened, and will remain a face for the foreseeable future. Not to mention, he's still the face of the company.

Give me a break, you guys call that change? NOTHING CHANGED.

Same presentation, same production, same format, same creative & all the problems they had before 'that promo' are still very prominant today.

I said at the time when everybody said it was the 2nd coming of Stone Cold Steve Austin that CM Punk doesn't stand a chance of becoming even half of what Austin was unless WWE changes it's product to reflect the "Attitude" of CM Punk. It is no coincidence Austin took off the same time WWE made the move to go more risky.

CM Punk is a cool character in an out of touch product. If CM Punk had control do you think that lame song would be the intro for RAW? you think he would keep that polished entrance stage?

Also what is it with this reality era BS im sick of hearing about it because 1997 - 2007 was more reality based then the crock of s*** served up these days. WWE's backstage segments are horrendous.

You guys going on about change...jesus christ what change? it's the same show it has always been for past few years. Not one significant or worthwhile change has happened.

I really hoped that when HHH replaced Vince McMahon in that segment last year that their would be changes...but it was business as usual the very next week.

This is a joke right? You guys really need to stop sucking Punk's dick. It was a great promo that led to a good storyline for a few weeks and got Punk over. Thats it. Nothing has changed. And people can say its HHH and Nash who ruined it, but those are probably the same people who always want their heel put over cleanly and hate that the rock is back. Get over it. His first night was great, but all of Punk's pipebombs have become the same. He's still over, the product is still good, but nothing has changed at all.

I feel lost...I watch WWE and TNA weekly but I was away for a few weeks when Punk made this "historical rant"...i think i saw the footage but what I saw was just Punk talking about guys being held back, storylines being boring, and he mentioned ROH and Colt Cabanna...is that what people are saying here changed history? Was that the big deal when Punk "pulled the curtain back"? Or did I miss something? I must of missed something!? Because what I saw from PUnk in that footage was no big deal...????

Wow many of you must be very new wrestling fans since many of you think Punk changed WWE by just doing a worked "shoot" promo. You guys probably have never seen a worked "shoot" promo before.

So,CM Punk changed everything because he mentioned "Brock Lesnar" ? oh and what a coincidence that THQ put him in the WWE'12 game just some days after the promo.

CM Punk also mentioned John Laurinaitis....oh and he was introduced as an on-screen authority figure some weeks later.

CM Punk also mentioned Vince,HHH,Stephanie...oh and what a coincidence that they were part of the walkout storyline somedays later.

Most of you need to watch some old WWF/WWE of/before 2006 and WCW if you think CM Punk's promo changed the WWE.

And I agree with the poster who said 1997-2007 was more "Reality" based than today's product. Today's WWE just looks so horrible. They can't even make good promos anymore.

Wow many of you must be very new wrestling fans since many of you think Punk changed WWE by just doing a worked "shoot" promo. You guys probably have never seen a worked "shoot" promo before.

So,CM Punk changed everything because he mentioned "Brock Lesnar" ? oh and what a coincidence that THQ put him in the WWE'12 game just some days after the promo.

CM Punk also mentioned John Laurinaitis....oh and he was introduced as an on-screen authority figure some weeks later.

CM Punk also mentioned Vince,HHH,Stephanie...oh and what a coincidence that they were part of the walkout storyline somedays later.

Most of you need to watch some old WWF/WWE of/before 2006 and WCW if you think CM Punk's promo changed the WWE.

And I agree with the poster who said 1997-2007 was more "Reality" based than today's product. Today's WWE just looks so horrible. They can't even make good promos anymore.

That's an easy one.And i have the perfect suggestion for you.First thing.Do not watch again the current program of the WWE.If you don't like it now you will never like it.Second if you love wrestling find all the episodes from WWF from 1985-2006 and all the WCW episodes and watch them every Monday and Friday.

That will be the best solution for you and for all the other people in this forums.Because you have 32 post and there is not a single possitive comment.

No.I could had work for him but he offered me only 1 million dollars per month and i said to him no.Precious WWE?Nahhh...Just we don't want a cry-baby to every post who says the same old things....

-WWE is bad now.Back in the day was awesome.
-You new fans you don't know a thing.I was watching wrestling before you born.I am right you are wrong.
-I don't care if that thing that happened this year you think is awesome because is not.I have seen it before.And if you don't i don't care.You should go back in time to see it.

So your problem is that you can't accept that people actually LIKE the product now.Sure it can be better but for god shake WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW ABOUT THE F@#$##ING PAST.IS THE PAST WE DON'T CARE.

In the grand scheme of things in WWE-and it's been lost in the shuffle. Apart of the Punk evolution it's a huge deal. He's still on top after jobbing a few times in some questionable matches that didn't serve any purposes.
But in the grand scheme of WWE his rant has been forgotten about.

There has been change since the promo but not enough to really make an impact. They have gone with a fresh new set of champs with strong wrestling ability, Punk/Bryan/Beth/Del Rio/etc over the stale crap and super models of Cena/Orton/Bella Twins/Kelly Kelly/etc etc which has been nice.

The issue is the writting is still the same. They still don't know how to really get people over strongly. Bryan is over in more of an annoying fashion than an entertaining one, Del Rio is very bland on the mic even with good in ring ability. I fully believe Ziggler could be great if he really got more time on the mic instead of having to play second fiddle to the stupid "excuse me" bitch who only gets TV time because of who she married.

The in ring talent has changed, and improved, the writting ang storylines is still subpar and holding back guys, seriouslly WTF is CM Punk the biggest thing in professional wrestling right now sitting in a damn fued with Johnny Ace. Ace is not over, will never be over, and doesn't belong on television. He is holding Punk back when he could be so much better. It would of been like Stone Cold coming out and getting into it with Vince only to have Vince fall off the face of the earth and have Austin fued with Greesy Fat Guy. People would watch it for Austin but they couldn't of cared less about anything else.

1. 'People' are looking for 'change'. I suppose I'll indulge them and tease that tease of a probable Cena heel turn as a sign of 'change'. But that's about it - John Cena is still top face; CM Punk got over; CM Punk got hated; Zack Ryder got over; Zack Ryder got hated; and Kane got his mask back.

:lmao:

2. Changed in a new direction? Are you kidding me? The WWE has always concerned itself with entertainment, wrestling ability or no, and it sees no reason for change.

3. No. There are too many unknowns surrounding Cena's situation (getting this kind of heat as a top face is unprecedented, but you already know that), and quite frankly they'll keep the revenue they have now and keep Cena face, rather than risk everything with a heel turn.

CM Punk's shoot was incredibly interesting and led to an exciting couple of months. I won't go as far as to say that it shook the foundation of the WWE or anything, but it did set some changes in place. The WWE now seem to be listening more to the opinions of the IWC. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan are the WWE and World Heavyweight Champions. Dolph Ziggler and Zack Ryder are receiving pushes. Kane returned with a mask. Cena is showing signs of a heel turn now more than ever. Christian finally got his main event push. The brand extension is fading away more each week. It's almost as if they have guys coming into forums like ours to see what we have to say.

I don't think they have changed their direction all too much. It's still fairly similar to what we have already seen in the PG Era, just with different guys getting pushed. They are paying more attention to who fans want to see get pushed, and I think it's a very smart choice of them to finally give some of these wrestlers a chance. We like them and want to see them get pushed, which means more PPV's will be ordered and more merchandise will be bought. Everyone wins. Finally, the shoot had nothing to do with a Cena heel turn because if they pull the trigger on that, it will be from years of Cena getting frustrated with the fan reactions, the shoot has next to nothing to do with it. The shoot was to move Punk up the card and set some new changes into motion regarding who they push. Other than that, nothing much has changed.

It COULD HAVE been amazing, but the moment Triple H pinned him for the win it all ended. I want him to challenge credible people, not John Laryngitis, a man who we're supposed to be against! There's no give and no battle there whatsoever. He was fast becoming the top guy in that company but Paul and his boring ass buddy Kevin ruined it completely.

CM Punk's shoot really did change the WWE after that night. He spoke the truth and made Vince listen and realise hes losing out on a big star like him. Thank god Vince took notice and gave CM Punk what he wanted the big push he deserved and being WWE champion and re signing him

I don't know how much it really changed WWE. After 3-4 weeks everything seemed to be business as usual. If anything else it made CM Punk a perennial main eventer but I don't think the company itself changed, just CM Punk.

I mean take WWE today and compare it to WWE a year ago, how much of a difference is there really? I was hoping it would shake things up but I don't feel it did. It created a lot of buzz and gave the potential to shake things up but don't feel they pulled the trigger to do it. I think at the end of the day all it did was create more water cooler talk about wrestling but now everything is back to normal. Maybe a few more internet darlings got pushed but that's it.

What did it change? Nothing in my opinion because we are still experiencing shitty writing. A lot of plot holes in the story lines. A lot of unentertaining stuff going along. A lot of burying. A lot of predictability and a lot of BS.

Yeah change? Lol you can keep on dreaming and while you are living in your dream world maybe you can find your brain.

What is this change that happened? I mean Punk is cool and all but its not like WWE is now more famous then it was before he did that shoot. It still is the same show.

The promo was very good, it made Punk red hot for a while, and created the most interesting storyline of the year. As usual however, WWE managed to screw it up that stroyline had massive potential yet was executed completely wrong, starting with Punk returning so soon and ending with him losing to HHH. Since then Punk's character has pretty much reverted to the stereotypical WWE babyface and has stagnated in my opinion so whilst his popularity has definently recieved a huge and sustained push since the promo his long-term character has deteriorated.

As for the impact it has had on the WWE as a whole, I think it has been overestimated. The storylines, plotholes and characters are pretty much the same as they have ever been. People point ti the ascension of Bryan as champ on SD but great technical wrestlers who aren't the biggest have been champ guys like Benoit and Guerrero who were handled and done it much better. As for the whole reality thing that has sprung from Vince's realisation of the power of the net and social media like twitter it begun before Punk's promo and is far bigger and wider than it.

No, it was a continuation. People on here still bitch about stuff that they really shouldn't be bitching about look back on EVERYTHING in the past more favorably.

I think the 2011-2012 WWE season in general has been amazing.

Also, please, STOP saying "Punk was buried by HHH". That's just stupid. I'd like to be WWE champ and booked as the best wrestler in the world and outsell cena in shirts if it means I get to be "buried". sure HHH was being selfish and it wasn't the best way to do it, but Punk was certainly not buried.

HHH is currently burying undertaker and any chance that the cell match is interesting more than he ever buried Punk. At least that feud was still about Punk and after it wasn't, Punk moved on. Poor Undertaker just gets to stand there and try to figure out which one of HBK's eyes to look at.

What are your opinions?
WWE needed to go in a new direction and Punk instigated it, I think they knew he was going to go out and the "story about Vince" was the cue to be cut off, but otherwise they just let punk go, I cannot imagine for even a second that what Punk said that night was fully planned, he called out half of the board and made Clown Shoes a TV personality.

yes, but not in the way I think you do, more edgy I can see but I doubt they will be any more edgy than they are now (bitch and ass are about all you're going to get) plus I'm not entirely sure that this isn't a condition of the Rock returning, I mean Cena got bleeped on Monday night, Rock didn't. I think it just happens to coincide with the times. Also remember an era change isn't immediate. The people crying about how nothing has changed are wrong. The "attitude era" was kicked off in 1997, Raw didn't beat Nitro in the ratings for about six months after that, and even then it was only because Bischoff spoiled a title change like a doofus.

Yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back