• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cm Punk and his Muay Thai background

salomon1080s

Occasional Pre-Show
After watching his match against matt hardy on smackdown, i noticed Cm Punk's Muay thai background was mentioned several times during the match.

so my question is with the popularity of mma. should cm punk and other superstars use more muay thai/mma moves in their arsenals?

I for one would be a huge fan of this i'm a big mma fan and i think it would bring some realize to some wwe matches. i would mtfo for a match to end with cm punk getting someone in the muay thai clitch followed by knees to the head.

not sure if this is the right section... move if needed

"muay thai clitch followed by knees to the head"
Is that a Bill and Doug joke?

But yeah, I'm up for more MMA style matches. That's why I'm really looking forward to Taker/Punk. I love MMA style, just as long as they don't talk about it being MMA style forever and ever like they did for Joe/Angle.

No. Keep MMA away from professional wrestling as much as possible. It's better for both products that way. The UFC doesn't want to be linked to professional wrestling. Professional wrestling doesn't want to be linked to MMA. They are two totally different entities.

The perfect example of this is Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle at Lockdown 08. The match was atrocious. Using moves that are used in MMA and "faking them up" for professional wrestling is a horrible idea. Plus, the general wrestling fan wouldn't give two shits about what kind of background anybody has or how a certain move is linked to a certain background of martial arts. I know I personally don't. When I watch the WWE, TNA, etc... I just want to be entertained. I couldn't care less what type of marial arts study of moves they're using or if they're moves used in MMA.

Keep the two worlds apart.

Muay Thai doesn't exactly mean mma. MMA comprises various disiplines, wrestling; kickboxing; boxing; Ju Jit Su; Muay Thai; Somba; etc...
Wrestling has always borrowed from the martial arts.....does the name Steamboat mean anything to anyone?
I love the fact that Punk has a martial arts background. It helps get over lack of size issues nicely. I would love to see that aspect for Punk be played up. Punk being a submission master could be a boost for his character. That disipline to study martial arts goes hand in hand with the straight edge stuff too.
IMO using a few moves from "MMA" if you like isn't a bad thing for either pro wrestling or ligit fighting. I do agree however that pro wrestling should never again try to pull off the Angle/Joe mma match.

Punks style seperates him from the rest of the roster. Ever seen someone that's a great professional wrestler with the usual pro wrestlers move set (triple h for example)! Now think if all wrestlers had a variation of that same move set but executed them at different levels! Makes for a boring company! Movesets and backgrounds make people stand out! Take that same company and subject it to diversity by way of fighting styles, backgrounds, and ring psycology (spelled wrong) u got somethin intriging! No one wants 20 triple h's or john cena's nor would those same people want to see a roster full of watered down mma!

In the world of MMA, the majority of the hugely succesful fighters have excelled in one fighting style (Lesnar, Couture- Wrestling. Machida- Karate. Fedor- Combat Sambo. The Gracie's- BJJ, the list is endless & I don't wanna bore you!) They've then added MMA to there original style. Alot of the younger guys now go straight into MMA with no other style to depend on & therfore, are only able to really compete against other MMA practitioners, imo, this factor could one day be the death of the sport. Anyway, if you where to flip this to wrestling, would you rather see legitimate looking strikes like Takers or CM Punks or would you rather see those piece of shit big swings thrown by Cena? Would you rather see a gogolplata or an stfu? I know what I'd prefer!!!

No offense to Angle and Joe, they're both great performers, but I think Undertaker and Punk will show people that this style can work. Joe and Angle had a problem where they tried to make it look like MMA too much. Even Angle and Taker had a great match that I'd consider to be MMA style. Punk and Taker can make it great if given the time, so I really look forward to it.

The way I see it, MMA and Pro Wrestling are two completely different animals, coming down to two questions. Question #1: Are you actually attempting to hurt your opponent? Question #2: Do the two fighters in the ring truly not know without a doubt which one will have victory at the end? If the answer is yes to both, it's MMA, if not, it's Pro Wrestling. That being said, I frankly classify wrestling as a form of martial art and most pro wrestlers these days have some background or at least some showing in traditional martial arts. Every one of them has their own gimmick and move-set, so if one of them has an MMA background, why not? I seem to recall MVP has a varied move-set that could be classified as MMA material if it were all legit.

I guess it all comes down to character. I think each must decide for himself as to what works best with the character and story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back