Chris Masters Vs. Curt Hawkins: Something Interesting

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
So, recently, I was watching Smackdown! on youtube and after Edge gave his final goodbye, I left the youtube tab open and the clips continue to roll. It eventually got to clips of WWE Superstars.

The opening match on the show was Chris Masters Vs. Curt Hawkins. Now, I've seen Chris Masters recently and I've been impressed with the guy.

He has the body that could allow him to get some extra work in some action movies or movies in general. He could work bodyguard for people. What have you. Instead, he's stuck with it and improved quite a bit.

Now, for the sake of it, I start watching this match and I'm really impressed with the flow and the chemistry of the match. They work well with each other and it's a hard-hitting aggressive-styled match. It last only about 10 minutes, but I really enjoyed it.

This was just interesting to me. However, I assumed this might be interesting to the rest of you.

Here is the match. (Not sure how long the match will be up.)

PART 1:
http://youtu.be/EepPxLg0nws
PART 2:
http://youtu.be/DfDsecUPLzM

Questions:

1. What are your thoughts on the match and the wrestlers in question?

2. Do you think might possible matter in the long run?

3. What would you do with these two individually or even in some sort of feud on a bigger level?

4. Any other thoughts?

No, Not really. i'd rather see people like Kofi, Doplf, Jomo, Bryan, Swagger, Sheamus, Wade an d Christian being pushed well before either Hawkins or Masters. Masters can work a match but his drug use history will make him a tough push. And i think Hawkins missed the boat when Ryder started the Z true long island, if either Hawkins or Ryder are being kept through the spring clean, it'll be Ryder.

I've seen Hawkins & Masters have some solid matches on WWE Superstars in the past. I like Hawkins and I do think there's something there. Both he & Masters are both still quite young, they're not even 30 yeet, and they've definitely spent the past few years paying some dues in the WWE. They've been relegated to Superstars or working dark matches, with the occassional appearance to job on Raw or SmackDown!.

When it comes to Chris Masters, his behavior during his first run in the WWE has no doubt caused some damage. He failed the WWE Wellness Policy twice for the use of performance enhancing drugs and that just stops a career dead in its tracks in the WWE. I think there were also some behavior problems with him, but I can't quite remember. At any rate he was released but the fact that he did fail the Wellness Policy twice in the past is something that still weighs heavily against him. If you flunk a drug test in the WWE, it sometimes takes a very long time for the brass to trust you and use you as anything more than filler. So far as I know, however, Masters has done a complete turn around. He's apparently off the juice and isn't nearly as large as he was during his first run in the WWE. I think something could be done with him as he is much better than he often gets credited for among the IWC. Not really surprising as anyone with a large muscular build in wrestling these days tends to earn the ire of a good sized portion of internet fans.

As for Hawkins, I think he's a solid all around worker. I've usually enjoyed his matches on Superstars, he's done quite well during the few opportunities he's had to talk on Superstars and he's quite solid inside the ring. I think he could stand to be in a little bit better shape though as he looks a little on the pudgy side. If you were to put a beard and longer hair on him, he'd look like Cowboy James Storm's twin brother.

I'd say that the WWE will begin it's annual spring cleaning after their current European tour is over with and if Masters & Hawkins avoid getting the axe, then I think there's at least the chance that the WWE sees something in them. At the same time though, Hawkins & Masters might be a couple of guys that ultimately missed the boat. The fact is that not every wrestler that has potential or talent is going to really ascend to a relevant level in the WWE or any other wrestling promotion.

No, Not really. i'd rather see people like Kofi, Doplf, Jomo, Bryan, Swagger, Sheamus, Wade an d Christian being pushed well before either Hawkins or Masters. Masters can work a match but his drug use history will make him a tough push.

Nice list, especially seeing as how both Jomo and Ziggler have had suspensions due to the Wellness Program as well. Oh, and one of the top superstars Randy Orton has also been on his 3rd strike for a while. So drug use history is really not that tough of a push. Look at Jeff Hardy in 2008/09.

I personally like Masters. He has what it takes to be a good IC champion. Maybe even one or two runs as a World Champion down the road. Hell, he was in the top 6 in the battle royal on SD this week.

I think what Masters needs is a new finisher. The Master Lock was great 6 years ago. He should keep it, and add something new. Perhaps atleast a full-nelson slam.

I can see Masters surviving this year's cuts (especially with his rumored push coming through), but I can't really see Hawkins lasting it. I like that guy too. But he was better in the tag team department, and without a consistent partner he hasn't really shown much.

One thing about Superstars is that it is highly underrated. I think a lot of people look at the matches on paper and just dismiss them, but there are some pretty good quality matches on the show.

Masters rules. I have always liked what Chris Masters brings to the table. He can be a face, heel, or a comedy guy. He looks fantastic and the guy can cut a nice pace. As for Hawkins, I am not really too impressed with his whole thing. Maybe if he was repackaged, he could be interesting. The way he is now, just doesn't do anything for me.

Agree on Hawkins character...we've seen the same character 100 times. Masters is in a horrible position right now; too good for superstars but not good enough for Smackdown. Maybe with Edge gone and new people moving to new roles, Masters will get an opportunity. Frankly Masters shows me the real need for a 3rd brand in the WWE universe.

Masters was best with Carlito in 06.

They dropped the ball on Carlito and Masters... they were in the spotlight on Raw everyweek and Masters was better packaged back then as a character in the WWE. Working with Carlito helped him too.

All of WWE's guys can work matches, thats why they are there.. you remember WWECW? That show was always packed full of good and competitive matches with young and upcomers... much better than Superstars...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back