• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chivalry

Nothing wrong with being courteous. Also, I'll always treat a woman like a lady if she wants to be treated like one. However, this option is no longer available for long-term girlfriends that won't give me sex when I want it.

Well there is nothing wrong with courtesy- its quite nice to meet it sometimes though. The problem with defining it as Chivalry is that it makes it inherently sexist. If you choose to treat women differently from men, and it isn't part of an attempt to impress said women, then why are you doing it? I understand that most men are doing it for the best possible reasons, but it is still a bit of a sticking point for some women when we aren't being treated equally, when the impression is that it is the man who has control, the man who pulls the chair out, who pays the bill, who is effectively in charge.

For this part I always try to go Dutch on dates (split the bill down the middle :) ), and will open doors for people behind me regardless of their age or sex. I don't do this as part of a grand feminist plot (which I think is a little silly on the whole, I like being feminine :) ) but because I think its a decent thing to do. In the same way I appreciate any kindness done to me by another, regardless of their sex. Rounding on someone after they attempt to do you a kindness isn't a nice thing to do.

As I say I do understand the male dilemma here. For a lot of men, it’s the way they were raised, its part of their tradition, and there are vastly varying degrees of feeling among women about this. Some expect it, some don't mind it and some dislike it. Another way in which you guys must unfortunately tread carefully :p

Another way in which you guys must unfortunately tread carefully

Ya know... not really. It's just part of who I am and how I was raised, and it always will be. If someone is offended by that, then honestly, it seems to me like they're just looking for a reason to be offended since it's obviously meant as a compliment rather than an insult, and I don't need that kind of person around.

Ya know... not really. It's just part of who I am and how I was raised, and it always will be. If someone is offended by that, then honestly, it seems to me like they're just looking for a reason to be offended since it's obviously meant as a compliment rather than an insult, and I don't need that kind of person around.

In the same sense having a passionate belief in changing how society and especially females may be how a women may be. Perhaps she may have a chip on her shoulder about it but you have to look at your actions having effects which you don't intend. Just becuase you mean it as a kindness doesn't mean that it might not come across as condescending to someone else. There are two sides to every coin- she may be looking to be offended- but you might also be ignorent to the offence which you are causing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back