• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chipping Away at the Truths of Life

Blue Chipper

Shapeshifting Humanoid
In this thread, share a kernel of wisdom about life that you've gained from your years.

Mine?

When a person ever tries to do something, he's met with a ton of pointless, soulless technicalities that must be completed in order to even get going. This is true for a lot of things, and every time I hate it.

Edit: Another thing: Using memes, internet slang, etc. in the real world makes people look like fools.

That's not really interesting, but I'm sure others have better insights.

9 times out of ten, just buy the generic brand. Especially when it comes to food. Not only does it usually taste the same, but sometimes, it's the exact same thing in different packaging. Saving that few cents on "Great Value" brand stuff has saved my ass in the past.

Check the ingredients before you follow WBL's advice. Chances are neither have any actual food in them but the more expensive may have a little bit more actual food.

When receiving a pitch from a salesman, blink your eyes rapidly during the conversation. He/she will either think your intently listening so as not to be hoodwinked or bat-shit crazy and not to be trifled with.

Nightmare said:
Women are always right, even when they're completely wrong. Learning this early will save you some headaches.

Excellent advice. For example, I love the lose-lose questions....

Your girlfriend/wife points to an attractive woman you've never seen before and asks, "is she good-looking?"

You can't win. If you say no, you're lying. If you say yes, you're coveting other women.

Fuck the universe.

Just say fuck it. Get lots of sleep and don't tell your boss that they are useless.

Hard work does pay off. If someone tells you it doesn't, then look at where they're at and know it's because they're not trying hard enough. Unless it's Paris Hilton, nobody could stop that abomination of uselessness.

Hard work does pay off. If someone tells you it doesn't, then look at where they're at and know it's because they're not trying hard enough. Unless it's Paris Hilton, nobody could stop that abomination of uselessness.

It's cliche, but it has always worked for me and I do think you're right. Persistence is better than and beats out anything else, I find - even innate, inherent ability/circumstance.

When your significant other or even a friend you have an interest in no longer says good night either in person or through text then something is wrong.

If a girl doesn't play fair, walk away and watch her try to get you back. Oh now I'm special?

Once you hit thirty you will be afflicted by an overwhelming convulsion believe that the world used to be better. This is untrue. Everything is getting better with time - our standard of living is better than that of basically every other human being who has ever existed - and this statement has been true for the vast majority of the past thousand years.

When I was younger, around 15 or 16 years old, my grandfather gave me some of the best advice I've ever heard. Sure, I didn't really pay attention to it but now that I think of it, it makes so much sense. He said, "When you get as old as I am, the only you can do is sit around and recall past memories. Don't do anything you will regret to remember."

When he passed, that was the first thing I remembered about him. How that advice was so true and how I can apply that in life definitely holds true. So there ya go gents.

Once you hit thirty you will be afflicted by an overwhelming convulsion believe that the world used to be better. This is untrue. Everything is getting better with time - our standard of living is better than that of basically every other human being who has ever existed - and this statement has been true for the vast majority of the past thousand years.

I can definitely see where you're coming from - good post. Does this phenomenon (people looking back gleefully and having pessimism for the future) have a name? I think I read it somewhere.

Something else I thought of: Random bursts of happiness. I'll just be chugging away at my daily routine, feeling like I'm trapped in monotony, and then randomly I'll just think of something that makes me happy and I keep going. Not sure if this is a trendy feeling, but it happens to me.

Something else I thought of: Random bursts of happiness. I'll just be chugging away at my daily routine, feeling like I'm trapped in monotony, and then randomly I'll just think of something that makes me happy and I keep going. Not sure if this is a trendy feeling, but it happens to me.

Along the lines of this.

The little things in life are important and shouldn't be ignored.

Also over the past few years I've come to understand that the grudges and negative thoughts I've had about things in the past need to be addressed. Whether I was on the wrong side or the right side it doesn't matter. Carrying that stuff around can't do any good.

Here are two gems of truth from George Carlin that I have always liked & found to be pretty accurate.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

"People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back