• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Children Beauty Pageants

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
This thread has been inspired by my Wife, who for some reason loves to watch tons of shows on these events. She's currently watching a few shows on TLC about Parents who've entered their children (as in ages: 1-17) in every Beauty Pageant that comes around, or is even heard of by them..

My main question for this thread is what are your takes and opinions on Parents who enter their Children in multiple Beauty Pageants and take them to the extremes of trying to win every single time - to the point of being outraged and upset if they get anything less than First place?

In my opinion, as any Parent would say of their Children, I'm sure - I firmly believe I have a beautiful Daughter and a handsome Son. My Daughter has even won selective small town "contests", to the point that I jokingly will say it'll become an every year event that if she doesn't win she can't come home. However I don't actually follow that as being serious, mind you. Yet some Parents in this world DO.

In some of these shows, there are Parents that get so wrapped up and obsessed with victory and winning, that they forget why they've entered to begin with.

SO, on that note - what would you consider the point is to having Beauty Pageants? Obviously to win would be a goal, but it shouldn't be the overall point.. especially for Children below the age of 14, who truly and in all likelihood have no clue what it truly all means to win or lose.

I personally think they should do away with Beauty Pageants just because most of the individuals who enter into the contests forget that it's just a contest, and it won't be the end of the world if they don't win.

So, what is everyone's thoughts and opinions on Children's Beauty Pageants? What do you believe they're here for, as in what's the point (besides winning) to have them? What do you think of the Parents in this world who more or less "in-slave" their Children to sacrifice so much of their lives into diets, training, and strict schedules that limit growing up and experiencing life as a true Child?

Please explain your opinions and make sure you detail what you say. Thank You.

Meh. Child pageants can be great if the children want to be there. I know there are children somewhere that like the entire experience. They're the ones who were born to compete in Miss (insert state here) and Miss USA. As far as the children want to be there, and the parents aren't crazy, why not? It isn't hurting anyone, and the children are having fun doing what they love to do.

However, a line is crossed when what you described occurs. When parents are essentially living their dreams through their children, it all needs to stop. It's the same thing that happens when parents drive their child stars to extremes or when parents over-pressure their children in sports/academics. It causes unimaginable stress upon the child. I, for one, can attest to this. I was, and still am, put under incredible stress to perform academically. My mom/dad weren't the most successful in academics, by any means. So they put my siblings and I under incredible pressure that surpassed the usual "you should get good grades" shtick. It was more of a "you get to practice writing for hours until I think it's perfect" and "Why don't you have As in classes that are incredibly advanced for you?!?! I don't care that your teachers don't teach, you should pass regardless." It's ok to want your kids to succeed, it's when you put impossible goals upon them without considering their position/abilities that things go wrong.

Beauty Pageants aren't just "who looks the best in a swimsuit." That's a part of it, no doubt. Or it wouldn't be a beauty pageant. However, it also takes into account whether the person is an idiot or not, whether they can do more than walk in heels. Tis why there's a talent portion and a Question and Answer segment. The whole experience celebrates the human as a whole, body and mind.

Overall, it's all good up to a point. When the parent is living through their child, and the child is obviously not enjoying themselves, things need to change. Though that could just be because I'm a huge softy, and can't stand to see children in need, no matter what the cause.

So, what is everyone's thoughts and opinions on Children's Beauty Pageants?

I personally think they are neat. I like seeing all the talent and the cute outfits that the children wear. The make-up part is a bit extreme. I personally think it makes the child look too grown up for their age. For a child to wear make-up at the age of 1-13 is extreme. I don't see the point in the make-up factor. But the outfits and talent can be left in.

What do you believe they're here for, as in what's the point (besides winning) to have them?

To be honest, the point to having them is to see who looks the most beautiful and who has the best talent and who puts out the most money to be in them. I believe it has a lot to do with money. It takes a lot of money to be in the pageants. A lot of time too.

The main point to the pageants SHOULD be for the children to meet new people(as in other children) and just to have fun. It shouldn't be just about winning, but unfortunately it is.

I know from personal experience about pageants. I was in one when I was at the age of 16. I personally thought the one I was involved in was just about what girl had the most money(Family wise). It's a small town contest, but I believed it to be rigged. Another reason why I feel it's rigged is because the girl who won the year before me is the daughter from two main dentists in our town. Her family is well-known. I believe she won due to her family having tons of money and being very well known. She even owns her own prom and pageantry boutique. She was even on that Pageant show that took place on MTV a few years ago. Granted you(William) know this or should, that I didn't win anything. It did upset me, because I put all my time and effort in doing volunteer work, all the hours spent working just to get a silly crown. I was going for the lowest crown too(Miss Volunteer) because I KNEW I wouldn't get Miss Sweet 16. I was upset I didn't win anything, but from personal experience I did have fun doing it and I made a couple new friends during the contest.

The main purpose to having these pageants are to showcase children.

What do you think of the Parents in this world who more or less "in-slave" their Children to sacrifice so much of their lives into diets, training, and strict schedules that limit growing up and experiencing life as a true Child?

I think the parents go nuts. They spend way too much money hoping their child is going to WIN all the time. As for the diets, it's rediculous. Some parents go way too far on that and make their child look sickly, or they may actually become sick due to being underweight. They should let their children choose what they want to do. It's nice to be in a competition here or there every once in a while, but to do it religiously is just insane! They should really just let their children be children. If the child wants to do it, so be it. Don't push it.

Don't get me wrong, if we had the money, I would try to put Gabrielle in couple just to see how she did. I'm sure, just like any other parent I would be upset if she didn't win anything. But the most important thing for me, would be to know she had fun and made new friends.

Now since you asked the question last night, What do the pageants teach?

Well for one they teach you how to get along with others. They can teach you hospitality. They teach how to deal with competition. Meeting new people from all over is another one. It's not necessarily taught, but a given. They teach you how to be proud of what you do and what you've done, whether you win or not.

They teach you how to be proud of what you do and what you've done, whether you win or not.

Not exactly. You see, that's what they want you to think. They try to promote teaching proper values, hospitality, and such.. but if it wasn't truly all about winning, then why does only ONE person truly get a crown and all the spotlight?

If it wasn't about winning, then they'd all be seen equally and no one would be eliminated, or narrowed out of the competition. They want you to be proud of trying. They want you to work hard, and understand that from that hard work you can accomplish anything, but unfortunately only the winner walks away with knowing hard work gives you something. And that person gets a crown - that erases all concern or care on self-respect and value.

I mean, why should you respect others when you're a winner? Want further proof of how pageants mean nothing and teach nothing? Look at that story about the Woman who tried being Miss *insert pageant title here* and lied about being against Gay marriage - only to, once she lost, change her opinion to better her standing and overall appearance just to then claim she lied in the pageant because of the stress and pressure of winning.

While I find that story horse-shit, and believe it's the Woman herself who just tried taking the best route to victory possible, the fact is she makes a point. You don't learn anything in pageants anymore. You're in them, to win them. By any means necessary.

Nation_of_Domination.jpg

I dislike the way some parents react, but I think these pageants are fine if it's what the child wants. My only negative qualms are when it's the parents forcing the children to act this way, when they'd rather be out riding a bike etc.

I don't see a problem with them in any other way. Sure, it shows superficiality, but what doesn't nowadays? While some argue looking good is an easy way to make a living, I doubt it would be. You'd still have to work to keep that. Modelling is probably a really tough job, yet people automatically assume models are stupid. I think thast needs to stop, if someone is known for their looks instead of their brain, I don't understand why it's such a big deal.

I think pageants for really young children where they're too young to actually make the decision so the adults make them enter are slightly disturbing. They way layers of layers of make up is splashed across they're young face while their parents are constantly reminding them to smile, which shows they're overly (and artificially) white teeth and tell off the children if they don't. This is when the whole beauty thing has gone way too far.

But once they're old enough to decide they want to go in there, it's fine. Only when the children are too young or when the parents are forcing the children to do it for money or living-their-shattered-dreams kinda thing is there a serious problem

I find them disturbing. A cute little girl being made up to look like a grown woman? It's zapping the innocence right away.

Kids aren't supposed to have these kind of pressures. Eat, sleep, shit, play, school. That's about it.

It's also visually disturbing, and, honestly, think it's a great outlet for sick pedo bastards who probably end up wanking to this shit.

I think I can sum this up. Mom was picked on for being ugly as a kid, or, tried to be beautiful and just couldn't cut it. Now, through a genetic accident, she has a beautiful little girl. Well, Mom failed at her goals in life, but if she can force her daughter to be a success, then SHE becomes a success.

Going further, it's not just pageants. Why is it that every kid has to be enrolled in all this after school shit. Monday, karate. Tuesday, soccer. Wednesday, Little League. Let the kid be a fucking kid! Stop giving these children adult schedules and forcing them to do activities they don't like!

If your kid is meant to be something special, it will happen. How about letting the kid run around and play with friends after school? Or, do whatever they want to do once homework and shit is taken care of.

I used to come home after school and watch cartoons for 3 hours, and I turned out just fine. Well...:weird:

I don't have a problem with the children beauty pageants in theory, but wife watches those same shows on TLC and they are disturbing. Mostly what I don't like is the make up on little kids. But the biggest problem is the parents, they are obsessed and nuts. But some parents just get like that about everything their kids are in, little league baseball, midget football, biddy basketball, ...
I'm sure (at least i hope) they are just showing the extreme cases because they want you to turn in and watch, but I don't know.
And I do think just like any competition there are good things to come out of it, learning good sportsmanship, getting off your ass and out of the house, meeting people, etc...
But as far as saying kids don't care if they win or lose, I don't think that's not true. My daughter is four and gets pissed if she doesn't win at something. Not like tears and being a sore loser, more like she thinks she should be good at everything and doesn't want to ever be second best. More of a good competiveness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back