• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Champions Discussion Thread

Frank the Frowner

Getting Noticed By Management
Here's a brief rundown of each relevant champion...

Please use this thread to talk about the champions and whether or not you agree if the champions or contenders should be who they are.

5v7x29.jpg

UFC Heavyweight Champions Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira and Randy "The Natural" Couture
Defeated: Tim Sylvia to become Interim Heavyweight Champion 2/2/08 (Nogueira)
Tim Sylvia to become Heavyweight Champion 3/3/07 (Couture)
Next Opponent: Frank Mir (Nogueira), Brock Lesnar (Couture)

Big Nog hasn't fought since February of 2008, thanks to The Ultimate Fighter taking up his schedule. He'll be fighting fellow coach Frank Mir at the December PPV. Some could definitely argue that Mir is not deserving of the chance to become champion, especially when Fabricio Werdum could make a case for having a title shot.

Randy Couture was reinstated by the UFC and is still recognized as Heavyweight Champion. He'll fight Brock Lesnar on November 15 at UFC 91. Werdum and other heavyweights have to be very upset that Brock has leapfrogged them for this shot.

2wlvcky.jpg

UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Forrest Griffin
Defeated: Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 7/5/08
Next opponent: Most likely Chuck Liddell.

Rampage could definitely have a claim to having a rematch against Griffin. He lost under some real murky circumstances. Unfortunately, the literal rampage he went on a week after that fight put the UFC in a tough spot where Rampage could still wind up going to jail if found guilty. It's rumored he'll fight Shogun Rua before the year ends.

Griffin will probably face Liddell in January, should Liddell beat Rashad Evans this weekend. Lyoto Machida should really get consideration considering he's still undefeated, but with the light heavyweight division really focused on the bigger names, Machida's going to have a tough time breaking the glass ceiling.

2ebsm1f.jpg

UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva
Defeated: Rich Franklin 10/14/06
Next Opponent: Patrick Cote

Silva's really in another league of his own, and he's floating between Middleweight and Light-Heavyweight. He could be the best fighter out there, and has expressed a desire to fight at least 6 times a year. Nobody in the UFC has even come close to beating him, and Patrick Cote, who is a great fighter in his own right, will probably prove to be no match for him.

2mex3jc.jpg

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges "Rush" St. Pierre
Defeated: Matt Serra 4/19/08
Next Opponent: BJ Penn?

St. Pierre is one of the very best in the UFC as well, who could be considered to be in a league of his own. Jon Fitch took him to the limit last month, where whatever GSP threw at him, Fitch kept fighting back. His toughness should really put Fitch in line for another title shot. There's been a lot of talk lately about a Penn vs. GSP rematch, which is very highly anticipated. It's unknown at this time if it would be a title fight, considering both guys hold titles.

33e7o5g.jpg

UFC Lightweight Champion BJ "The Prodigy" Penn
Defeated: Joe Stevenson 1/19/08
Next Opponent: GSP? Kenny Florian?

BJ Penn is seemingly focused on GSP right now, and Florian is all but announced to be the #1 contender for the Lightweight Title. Penn vs. Florian would be something I'd be dying to see. Both guys are tremendous fighters.

2chxkpk.jpg

WAMMA Heavyweight Champion Fedor Emilianenko
Defeated: Tim Sylvia 7/19/08
Next Opponent: Randy Couture?

Fedor Emilianenko has lost only once, and even that was questionable as it was stopped by a doctor due to a cut. He defeated Tim Sylvia in dominating fashion at the first Affliction show for the WAMMA Heavyweight Title. WAMMA is a sanctioning organization that believes rankings should decide the contenders and not entertainment value. Fedor vs. Couture could finally happen soon, thanks to the UFC recognizing Affliction could be a threat. Fedor is under contract to W-1, and not under contract with Affliction in any way, shape or form. The UFC and W-1 could work together for the dream one-off match to happen.

With Lyoto Machida grabbing the Light Heavyweight Championship last night... let's take a look at UFC's Champion line up as of right now.

Lightweight Champion: BJ Penn
Welterweight Champion: Georges St. Pierre
Middleweight Champion: Anderson Silva
Light Heavyweight Champion: Lyoto Machida
Heavyweight Champion: Brock Lesnar

Man.... has the UFC ever have a better set of champions? I don't see how anyone could come up with a better list then this.

Four of these guys are literally in contention as the best P4P Fighters in the World in Penn (who, granted, got his ass whooped recently, but I still don't think there's any Lightweight out there who can defeat him), GSP, Anderson Silva, and Lyoto Machida. All four of these guys could not be more respected by the MMA fan base, critics, and fighters.

As far as Brock Lesnar is concerned, not only is he perhaps the UFC biggest draw at this point, but if he can decisively beat Mir, and then go on to beat Kongo (who was promised a Title shot if he can defeat Cain Velasquez @ UFC 99) or whoever his next opponent is... then you can add him to the list of best fighters in the World. And hell, if fucking Mir stays in shape and can stay consistent (if) after he beats Lesnar again, then he’ll make a tremendous champion for the UFC also. And Kongo would make an awesome champ as well. With or without Fedor Emelianenko in the UFC... the UFC Heavyweight Champion will be considered at the best HW in the World.

well since apparently we can post in here......

WAMMA Heavyweight Championship- Fedor Emelianenko
fedor_emelianenko.jpeg

Record: 30-1
Won From: Tim Sylvia, July 19, 2008.
Future Opponent: TBA

My Thoughts: What is there to say? Not even arguably the top pound for pound best fighter in the world, he is the p4p best right now. And because of this i don't see him dropping his title anytime soon. Hes cleared out almost the whole HW division outside of the UFC, and even some from the UFC. Such as Sylvia, Arlovski, and Nogueira. With having such a dominant record of beating the who's who in the HW division it doesn't look like Fedor will be losing anytime soon, certainly not to Barnett i think. Possible future match up's are Alistar Overeem, and Mirko CroCop if he signs with Dream.

UFC Heavyweight Champion- Brock Lesnar
brock-lesnar.jpg

Record: 4-1
Won From: Randy Couture, November 15, 2008.
Future Opponent:Winner of Shane Carwin Vs. Cain Velasquez.

My Thoughts: Well I'm sure anyone would agree he didn't earn his title shot, but he did earn the right to wear the belt by beating Randy. I personally don't see Lesnar's run lasting for much longer. There's some serious threats in his division from Shane Carwin and Cain Velasquez. Both hold good wrestling credentials, Brock's strength, and Carwin is probably the closest person to Lesnar's size and strength in the division. And now with his recent victory over Mir, it finally comes time to see Lesnar against either Carwin or Velasquez. I personally hope Carwin is the one that goes on to challenge Lesnar. As i have said this man is around the same size as Lesnar, maybe not as athletic as Lesnar, but similar to him. Both have a wrestling background and are huge. It would finally be time to see what else Lesnar has in his arsenal besides good wrestling.

UFC Lightweight Champion- Lyoto Machida
thlyoto-ufc98.jpg

Record: 15-0
Won From: Rashad Evans, May 23, 2009.
Future Opponent: Mauricio "Shogun" Rua, October 24, 2009.

My Thoughts My thoughts are that the Lyoto era has arrived. We haven't seen someone so dominant in the LHW division in a long time, if ever. How many fighters can actually say they have never lost a round on the score cards? Not many, if any. A perfect blend of different karate styles, Lyoto brings a very unique and deadly fighting style to the cage. Which basically has him winning in every category during a fight. The Lyoto era looks like it will be around for awhile, and i truly pity one of my favorite fighters Shogun Rua who has to face him next.

UFC Middleweight Champion- Anderson Silva
anderson-silva.jpg

Record: 24-4
Won From: Rich Franklin, October 14, 2006.
Future Opponent: Forrest Griffin, August 8, 2009(Non title fight)

My Thoughts The current holder of most consecutive wins in the UFC, and tied for most consecutive title defenses with Matt Hughes and Tito Ortiz. Anderson Silva has been quite dominant in his run with the UFC. Some even consider him the pound for pound best fighter on the planet, though with recent lackluster performances has come under harsh criticism. Anderson has made it clear he will fight smart and does not care about entertaining. Although most fans will probably whine about this, i completely support it. The man currently holds two very important records in the UFC, and if he expects to keep them fighting smartly is the key. With foes running low for Mr. Silva a possible move up to LHW may be in the works. Top tier opponents like Forrest Griffin will show us how he stands against some of the upper tier in the LHW division.

UFC Welterweight Champion- Georges St-Pierre
george-st-pierre-1.jpg

Record: 19–2
Won From: Matt Serra, April 19, 2008.
Future Opponent: Winner of Mike Swick Vs. Martin Kampmann.

My Thoughts: Probably my favorite UFC champion, actually no he is my favorite. Although only having two title defenses under him with his current reign, in both fights he fought real top notch opponents and made them look like they don't even belong in the same cage as him. These two being Jon Fitch and BJ Penn. Penn in my eyes actually looked worse then fitch, and this is a fighter some consider a p4p best. Same for Georges. Georges is highly ranked. Coming in on most rankings at either third or second spot. With his now recent win over Alves, Georges definitely deserves his mention for pound 4 pound best. Georges will be facing the winner of Swick Vs. Kampmann which takes place at UFC 103. I honestly don't think any of these two bring something to the table that Georges hasn't already beaten.

UFC Lightweight Champion- BJ Penn
bj_penn_6.jpg

Record: 13-5-1
Won From: Joe Stevenson, January 19, 2008.
Future Opponent: Kenny Florian, August 8th, 2009.

My Thoughts: What's there to say. When i think of BJ i think of wasted potential. Although many consider him the best LW on the planet purely based on his performances, his record at LW does not really prove it. Having not defended his title in more then a year certainly does not improve things. Although his talent and potential to be the best at LW can not be denied, Frankly i dislike him and hope Florian kicks his ass.

WEC Featherweight Champion- Mike Brown
mike-brown.jpg

Record: 22-4
Won From: Urijah Faber, November 5, 2008.
Future Opponent: Jose Aldo, November 11, 2009.

My Thoughts:I'm a fan of Brown's. Everytime i see him i become more and more impressed with him. Holding not one, but two wins over highly ranked Urijah Faber, i feel Brown is here to stay as champion. Although you will here some make excuses for why Faber lost, at the end of the day Brown holds two wins over him. Both where won fair and square on his part whether they like it or not. His next opponent is quite dangerous. Aldo has won all his fights in the WEC via KO, some were devastating like his most recent KO victory over Cub Swanson via Double Knee KO. I believe Aldo will be Brown's biggest test to date and cannot wait for this fight.

WEC Bantamweight Champion- Miguel Torres
TorresWithBeltHZ.hmedium.jpg

Record: 37-1
Won From: Chase Beebe, February 13, 2008.
Future Opponent: Brian Bowles, August 9, 2009.

My Thoughts: Wow, what a record. I really believe that Torres is underrated when it comes to pound for pound best rankings. Probably due to his weight division not having enough popularity, which in term leads to less focus on contenders besides himself. And with less focus on his contenders, it means it doesn't look like hes beatings top ranked opponents. Though the Bantamweight division hasn't exactly been around for very long in WEC, i really hope in time it gains more popularity. Torres is such a true warrior that he used to fight way above his weightclass just to fight. In my eyes he deserves any attention he gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back