Heavyweight Rankings

I do see him fighting Ricco, in fact I almost guarantee it happens. Finklestein wants this fight so he can say Fedor has beaten three former UFC champions. Like anybody who doesn't whack off to Fedor posters even cares. It's not going to improve Fedor's already woeful drawing power or improve his rapidly deteriorating reputation.
Time will tell.
I don't think Fedor will ever fight Rogers. He's got a very legit shot to get KTFO'd in that one, and Finklestein knows it. Fedor already draws like shit, and a knockout loss would reduce that draw even further, and bury both SF and M-1, and probably even lead to bankruptcy for both companies. Nobody will sign him if that were to happen, meaning no co-promotion with anybody, and Fedor making pennies on the dollar compared to what he used to, meaning Finklestein doesn't make any money. It's pretty simple.
So let me guess this straight, Fedor who has fought some deadly strikers in his career, most recently Arlovkski who trains his boxing under roach, you think fears getting knocked out? I can't even remember when Fedor ever flinched at getting hit. If you believe that shit then it means we will never see Fedor Vs. Overeem then. Since Overeem is a much better striker then Roger's.

Time will tell.

So let me guess this straight, Fedor who has fought some deadly strikers in his career, most recently Arlovkski who trains his boxing under roach, you think fears getting knocked out? I can't even remember when Fedor ever flinched at getting hit. If you believe that shit then it means we will never see Fedor Vs. Overeem then. Since Overeem is a much better striker then Roger's.

No, actually I don't see him fighting Overeem. For two reasons: A. He could lose that fight too. B. In the event Fedor were to win, I don't see Coker letting Vadim and Fedor get a hold of the SF belt. Fedor will almost certainly leave after his three fights.

Here's what I see happening...

Fedor fights Ricco first, for the reasons named above. Then, they pull Tank Abbot or Cabbage out from whatever rocks they are hiding under for "name value". After that, they'll feed him Werdum as "the number two heavyweight in the world". That way, if he wins all three, Vadim can say he's beaten some of the "better heavyweights" in UFC history, and hype it like crazy. The thing is, nobody with even half a brain will even be close to giving a fuck. Except, of course, for Fedor's fans, who will still think he's worthy of being number 1. They simply don't get it.

Like I said, Fedor is hands down the greatest heavyweight in history, but right now, in 2009, it's debatable if he's even top 5. The rankings should be based on current events, not Pride fights in 2004.

Fedor is an even bigger fucking joke than originally thought...

Now he's not fighting at all in the next event. He's doing another one of these "gappling exhibitions" against Gegard Mousasi.

To be a number one ranked fighter, you actually have to fight somebody. This is not fighting. This is wrestling with a much lighter opponent again.

He is a loser, his promotional team is full of losers, any event he is in is will lose tons of money, and worst of all, his fans are delusional losers.

Fedor is an even bigger fucking joke than originally thought...

Now he's not fighting at all in the next event. He's doing another one of these "gappling exhibitions" against Gegard Mousasi.

To be a number one ranked fighter, you actually have to fight somebody. This is not fighting. This is wrestling with a much lighter opponent again.

He is a loser, his promotional team is full of losers, any event he is in is will lose tons of money, and worst of all, his fans are delusional losers.

What the hell are you talking about? Can you at least list sources? I have seen no news of Fedor not fighting, he's scheduled for the next Strikeforce event which is October 10th. Who cares what he does between now till his fight date? Nothing wrong with a grappling exhibition in between a fight, it's not like he can really get hurt during it.

You know, your Fedor hate actually makes me chuckle. I don't think I have ever met such a blatant hater.

I have to admit that Fedor's grappling match against Aoki was all kinds of fun. I honestly don't mind him doing those.

However, while I am a huge Fedor fan, if he doesn't fight at the next Strikeforce event, or if his fight turns out to be against Ricco Rodriguez, I am going to be pretty pissed. I mean, I know he doesn't decide who or when he fights, but both of those cases would be beyond ridiculous, especially the fight against Rodriguez. While Fedor by no means books himself, I'm sure he has say so in who he fights and who he doesn't, and I don't know how he could respect himself by taking on such a can when he's in his prime and there's so much talent out there awaiting to be destroyed by him. And don't get me wrong, I like Ricco; it's just he is nowhere near being in Fedor's league, and anyone with half a brain should know that.

Update as of August 12:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)
Unfortunately for Emelianenko, his scheduled Aug. 1 bout with Josh Barnett and Affliction’s third show were scrapped after Barnett tested positive for steroids in a pre-fight licensing test. Fortunately for Emelianenko, his brand new deal with Strikeforce will allow him to get back in the ring this fall.

2. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
In just five fights, Lesnar now owns the undisputed UFC heavyweight crown and sports stoppages over the likes of Frank Mir and Randy Couture. However, despite his overwhelming performance against Mir at UFC 100, Lesnar’s post-fight professional wrestling theatrics seem to have overshadowed his victory.

3. Josh Barnett (24-5)
Barnett had the chance to vie for the sport’s heavyweight mantle in his slated Aug. 1 bout with Emelianenko. Instead, another positive steroids test for Barnett destroyed the matchup, put the final nail in the coffin of Affliction’s promotional wing and marred the former UFC champion’s career.

4. Frank Mir (12-4)
Mir was in his best shape in years for his rematch with Lesnar at UFC 100. However, it was not enough for him to duplicate his first-round submission win from February 2008, as Lesnar brutally pounded him out in the second stanza.

5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-5-1, 1 NC)
Whether it will wind up being the fight for which fans had long hoped remains to be seen, but two of the sport’s most enduring icons will square off at UFC 102 on Aug. 29 when Nogueira finally meets up with Randy Couture.

6. Randy Couture (16-9)
His bout with Nogueira is long overdue. Hopefully, when “The Natural” and “Minotauro” square off at UFC 102 on Aug. 29, the clash of heavyweight legends will not prove past its expiration date.

7. Brett Rogers (10-0)
After his blistering 22-second knockout of Andrei Arlovski, Rogers was expected to be fast-tracked to a Strikeforce title shot against champion Alistair Overeem. Instead, the unbeaten prospect will continue honing his craft on Strikeforce’s October offering against a yet-to-be-named opponent.

8. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
Despite having knocked off the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson in the recent past, those accomplishments now seem like distant memories for Arlovski. “The Pitbull” has been brutally smashed in his last two outings against Emelianenko and Rogers, and conversation now centers on the fragile chin that has betrayed him again.

9. Shane Carwin (11-0)
Carwin will be back in action at UFC 104 on Oct. 24, when he will find opposition in fellow unbeaten heavyweight prospect Cain Velasquez in a bout rich with risk and reward for both up-and-coming fighters.

10. Alistair Overeem (29-11, 1 NC)
The wait for Overeem’s first Strikeforce heavyweight title defense continues. The hand injury the Dutchman sustained in a nightclub dustup in Holland earlier this year has continued to plague him, postponing his return to Strikeforce yet again.

Other contenders: Junior dos Santos, Aleksander Emelianenko, Jeff Monson, Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum.

Now see, this is exactly why these rating are a fucking joke.

Honestly, let's say Barnett doesn't fight for another year or so (which is likely), will he remain at that third spot until then? Well, I guess you can assume so since Yushin Okami remains at #2 in the Middleweight rankings, even though he hasn't fought in forever. But if as the months go by, and Barnett DOES slip down the list, then why not just bump his ass off right now? There's no point in having him there. He failed a drug test, and single handily killed a Mixed Martial Arts promotion. If that's not enough reason to lose your spot on a Top 10 list, then what is?

Secondly, Randy Couture should be number 4 as far as I'm concerned. He put up a better fight against Lesnar than anyone Lesnar has fought thus far, and his two wins prior to that were pure domination. Mir and Nog, while I'm a fan of both, don't get me wrong, did nothing in that time period to pass up Couture. But whatever; let's see how Couture does against Big Nog next week. If he wins, then he should be #3 in the rankings, and it's not even debatable.

Lastly, for the love of Christ, get Arlovski's ass off this fucking list! Why is he there? Junior dos Santos deserves that spot without fucking question. Hell, Jeff Monson deserves a spot over that motherfucker. This is truly astonishing.

Update as of September 3rd:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC)
The date and venue remain a mystery for now, but MMA's heavyweight ruler finally has an opponent for his Strikeforce debut. Come autumn, Emelianenko will risk the mantle he's held for nearly seven years when he battles unbeaten power puncher Brett Rogers.

2. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
Following his victories over Randy Couture and Frank Mir, many have wanted to see how Lesnar would deal with a fighter who can match his mammoth size. They will now get their wish, as Lesnar's next title defense will come at UFC 106 in November, where he takes on fellow hulking heavyweight Shane Carwin.

3. Josh Barnett (24-5)
Barnett had the chance to vie for the sport’s heavyweight mantle in his slated Aug. 1 bout with Emelianenko. Instead, another positive steroid test for Barnett destroyed the matchup, put the final nail in the coffin of Affliction’s promotional wing and marred the former UFC champion’s career.

4. Frank Mir (12-4)
Most of the attention Mir has received lately has stemmed from talks of a superfight between him and middleweight ace Anderson Silva. However, the real next fight for Mir will come at UFC 107 in December, when he takes on French hitter Cheick Kongo.

5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1, 1 NC)
Through his first three outings in the UFC, Nogueira looked like a shell of the fighter who became one of MMA's greatest over the course of this decade. Nearly 25 pounds lighter, the 33-year-old Nogueira was in vintage form at UFC 102, though. He took an exciting unanimous verdict over Randy Couture, putting himself back in the UFC title mix and also in a much better place in the perceptions of fans and critics.

6. Brett Rogers (10-0)
After a fight with Alistair Overeem failed to materialize, "The Grim" was declared the winner of the Fedor Emelianenko sweepstakes. The unbeaten Rogers will meet MMA's reigning heavyweight king in his Strikeforce debut this fall, with the date and venue to be determined.

7. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
Despite having knocked off the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson in the recent past, those accomplishments now seem like distant memories for Arlovski. “The Pitbull” has been brutally smashed in his last two outings against Emelianenko and Rogers, and conversation now centers on the fragile chin that has betrayed him again.

8. Randy Couture (16-10)
He was game, but the 46-year-old Couture was soundly beaten by the reinvigorated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira in their fantastic headlining bout at UFC 102. Though it's now been two years since Couture knocked off Gabriel Gonzaga in his last win, Zuffa still re-inked him to a six-fight contract extension that will allow "The Natural" to finish his career in the Octagon.

9. Shane Carwin (11-0)
Originally expected to meet fellow undefeated prospect Cain Velasquez at UFC 104 in October, Carwin was part of Zuffa reshuffling its heavyweight deck. Now the potent-punching Colorado native will take on Brock Lesnar for the UFC heavyweight crown at UFC 106 in November.

10. Junior dos Santos (8-1)
In his two Octagon appearances, the upstart Dos Santos has punched out quality opponents in Fabricio Werdum and Strefan Struve in less than a combined 2:30. However, the next fight for "Cigano" figures to have a bit more staying power, as he takes on Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic at UFC 103 on Sept. 19.

Other contenders: Aleksander Emelianenko, Jeff Monson, Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum.

Okay, now I'm pissed off. Really pissed off.

You mean to tell me Andrei fucking Arlovski should be ahead of Randy Couture? The same Andrei Arlovski whose last two fights he got COMPLETELY embarrassed and KTFO in the first round? That same Arlovski should be ahead of Randy Couture, whose last two losses was one against the current UFC Heavyweight Champion, and the other against someone who's one of the greatest Heavyweights in the sport today and of all time, while also putting on a FOTY candidate against said Heavyweight? Does that make sense to anyone else? It sure as shit doesn't for me. This is fucking ridiculous. It really is.

Also, for the love of Christ, bump Barnett's ass down already! The guy is not fighting any time soon, and even if he does, it will be against a fucking can. He does not deserve that 3rd spot in any fucking way whatsoever. Big Nog does after his incredible performance against Couture.

Wow... what complete horseshit, huh? I know they're just rankings, but the fact that there's one human being, let alone the biggest MMA website on the planet, that thinks Arlovski should be ranked ahead of Randy Couture is truly a travesty.

First,
Brock is only on this list because he has heavt ands and is an ape, NO SKILL
it pisses me off when hes put in the top 5
Second,
Comparing fighters from different companies is stupid and some people havent even face each other

Well illinoisbadboy123 first off Lesnar may not deserve to be in the top 5 but dont discount him form deserving a spot on the list. Last I checked he has only lost once. Not only has he only lost once but look at who hes fought. He beat Herrings ass, tko'ed Couture, and avenged his lose to Mir. Those are three BIG wins for the man. He has earned a spot on the list and as for him having no skill, ARE YOU INSANE!!!!! Wrestling takes a ton of skill and he is world class at it. Also his ground and pound is getting real good and so is his standup. Just because he isnt submitting guys doesnt mean the dude aint got no skill. On to my next point about them comparing fighters from different companies. Yes I agree that it makes true rankings very difficult without them all fighting each other to prove who is the Biggest Bitch in the yard. But if they all fought each other then what the hell would we as fans have to look foreward to? We would have seen all the fights possible and wouldnt be able to imagine about these fights.

There are specific rules that Sherdog will usually follow in terms of a fighter not having activity in a certain time frame (unless they've booked a fight by the deadline, which is usually a year, I believe). The rankings hold suit. Fedor should be ranked number one, and even if he loses to Rogers, he should still be ranked number one. He's beaten guys who've come and gone on that list, and in Nog's case twice. Rankings aren't perfect. That's why it's good to check out several sites to get a cohesive picture of the rankings. You fucking guys think these are bad? Try sifting through the spaghetti-shit mess that is boxing. Half of those fucking guys will NEVER fight each other. Do a wiki search for Paul Williams and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Update as of November 25th:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (31-1, 1 NC)
In his big introduction to the North American audience, Emelianenko showed off his opportunistic and explosive skills, brutally thwarting previously unbeaten Brett Rogers in the second round of their Nov. 7 Strikeforce/M-1 Global matchup. Nearly five and a half million watched "The Last Emperor" in primetime on CBS.

2. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
The initial news of Lesnar's enigmatic illness seemed hopelessly grim, but the MMA world -- and Dana White especially -- can breathe a sigh of relief. Lesnar's case of diverticulitis has been managed, and the UFC heavyweight champion should return to action in roughly six months.

3. Frank Mir (12-4)
Most of the attention Mir has received lately has stemmed from talks of a superfight with middleweight ace Anderson Silva. Instead, the real next fight for Mir will come at UFC 107 in December, when he takes on French hitter Cheick Kongo.

4. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1, 1 NC)
Nogueira is another heavyweight who had a scary brush with illness. His slated Jan. 2 bout with unbeaten prospect Cain Velasquez was scuttled when it was revealed the former Pride heavyweight king had a severe staph infection that had entered his bloodstream. There is no timetable yet for Minotauro's return.

5. Brett Rogers (10-1)
Rogers' spirited effort against heavyweight ruler Fedor Emelianenko on Nov. 7 seems to have done more for perceptions of his heavyweight future than his 22-second demolition of Andrei Arlovski did. Since the defeat, Rogers has made the lofty claim that he won’t lose again.

6. Josh Barnett (24-5)
Barnett's appeal in front of the California State Athletic Commission regarding his positive steroid test was set for Oct. 26. However, with his legal team still awaiting additional lab results, Barnett was granted a second extension. His case will now be heard Dec. 8.

7. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
He knocked off the likes of Fabricio Werdum, Ben Rothwell and Roy Nelson in the recent past, but those accomplishments now seem like distant memories for Arlovski. “The Pitbull” has been smashed in his last two outings against Fedor Emelianenko and Brett Rogers, and conversation now centers on the fragile chin that has betrayed him again.

8. Junior dos Santos (9-1)
“Cigano” emerged as a serious heavyweight threat by battering Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic on Sept. 19. In order to earn his contender’s stripes, he will have to take out another Brazilian known for his win over Filipovic -- Gabriel Gonzaga -- at UFC 108 on Jan. 2.

9. Cain Velasquez (7-0)
Velasquez was expected to graduate to elite heavyweight competition as 2010 rang in with a main event bout against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 108. However, Nogueira's nasty staph infection has left Velasquez without an opponent.

10. Shane Carwin (11-0)
Though undoubtedly happy to hear that he may be able to face Brock Lesnar down the line, Carwin's next step is uncertain. Lesnar figures to be on the shelf until well into 2010, and the MMA world likely won't want to wait that long to see the unbeaten Carwin in action again.

Other contenders: Aleksander Emelianenko, Gabriel Gonzaga, Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum.

Finally they bumped Josh Barnett down. Jesus it took them long enough.

Anyway, other than Arlovski still being here, I agree with most of the list. I might would bump Rogers and Barnett down a few spots to move up Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos. Hell, in fact, I would take Barnett off all together, and put Alistair Overeem at around the 8th spot, and put Fabricio Werdum in the 9th spot (remember, I'm removing Arlovski as well), while keeping Shane Carwin #10.

Overeem hasn't fought a big name in quite some time, but at least he's absolutely destroying the cans. And Werdum has had a couple of impressive wins his last two fights, and in my opinion he should be considered a top 10 Heavyweight until he loses again.

Yeah I agree with this ranking the most out of any other I have seen. This pains me to say but I would move AA to 10 and put all the rest above him. I would also Swap Carwin and Velasquez in front of Dos Santos. Other then those small changes I wouldn't do much to this list, it looks fine to me.

Yea I agree to move AA down to at least 10th and take Barnett off there. Hes just a joke. Cain and Junior deserve to move up at least a spot and I believe Carwin should be higher than Santos and Cain seeing as he is the number 1 contender. Other than that everything looks good. I disagree about putting Overeem up there until he proves he can beat some top contenders.

These rankings aren't bad, I would have Cain Valesquez at the #6 spot and Carwin at the #5 spot, but other then that, there is not to much complaints here. Like the rest of the pack I am thrilled to see Barnett get knocked down a few spots as he sure as hell don't need to be reconized at one of the best, when the dude doesn't even have enough respect for the fans to stop pissing (as I seen someone say it) "Motor Oil" and attempt to get back in the mix. I am just wondering how the hell Mir has went from 4th to 3rd without doing a goddamn thing to earn it, he should have stayed at # 4, I know someone had to get moved since Barnett was bumped down, but it should have been Big Nog. He is in the title picture on the biggest stage of them all, to where as Mir as already lost to the champ. That should say something

You don't think Alistair Overeem should be in the top 10, Ric? I see you have him in your sig, so I was just wondering.

I say he definitely deserves to be so. I mean, you look at that list, and guys like some listed being ahead of him makes no sense, if you ask me. Overeem in his last 7 fights is 6-0, with a No Contest. Now, in those 7 seven fights, he defeated Paul Buentello (good fighter who's actually going to be fighting at UFC 107 in a couple of weeks), Mark Hunt in a minute, DOMINATED Cro Cop before the NC went down, defeated Gary Goodridge in under 2 minutes, and beat James Thompson in just a couple of seconds. Compare to some of the shit the others in that top 10 have done, Overeem should definitely be up there, especially considering that he would be the absolute favorite against any one of those guys, except Fedor, Nogueira, and maybe Lesnar.

lol, Yea I do, when I made that post this morning when I was fresh out of bed and not thinking strait. Only thing I was thinking about when I was going to post about him in the rankings was that even though he beat the shit out of Goodrige, Lee Tae-Hyun, and Thompson, they are not really that good of fighters, maybe even cans if you will. I was impressed by his win over Mark Hunt, and Paul Buentello. I've never seen the Cro Cop fight, but he was dominating before the NC you say, that is pretty impressive. He should at least be hanging on the list at number 8 or 9, and have Arvlovski in the 10 spot until we see if he can improve. They should take Josh Barnett of the damn list because I doubt he will ever pass a drug test again, and Junior Dos Santos should get him another big victory before he gets a spot on the rankings. Another one of the reason I think that is holding Overeem back is not fighting MMA fights in America, but instead he's kickboxing in Japan. Hopefully after his K-1 World Grand Prix 2009 run ends(which I hope he wins and gets the chance to beat the shit out of Remy Bonjasky in the process) he will come back to the US of A and defend his Strikeforce HW title, and take his place on those rankings.

We haven't updated these in awhile, so let's get some discussion going as to how we would rank the top 10 in each division.

I don't agree with or like Sherdog's rankings, but I'll keep it consistent and use them for these.

1. Fedor Emelianenko (31-1, 1 NC)
It seemed fairly straightforward that Emelianenko would stake his heavyweight supremacy against Brazilian Fabricio Werdum at Strikeforce’s second CBS offering on April 17. Now, a contract squabble between Strikeforce and M-1, which represents Emelianenko, means early summer is the likely time for the bout.

2. Brock Lesnar (4-1)
While we do not know exactly how Lesnar will look in his return to the cage after his bout with diverticulitis, we do know his foe. Come July 3, he will take on Shane Carwin to unify both halves of the UFC heavyweight mantle in what should be a blockbuster bout for the promotion.

3. Cain Velasquez (8-0)
Whether one wants to call it a passing of the torch or a coming-out party, Velasquez’s performance against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira at UFC 110 was short and brutal. In less than half a round, Velasquez destroyed one of MMA’s most historically outstanding heavyweights in easily his most impressive performance to date.

4. Shane Carwin (12-0)
It took almost four minutes -- an eternity by his usual standards -- but at UFC 111 in Newark, N.J., Carwin blew off Frank Mir’s doors in the first round to claim the UFC interim heavyweight title. However, the real championship will be contested July 3, when Carwin meets Brock Lesnar.

5. Frank Mir (13-5)
Mir entered his March 27 bout with Shane Carwin as a slight betting favorite. However, he looked none the part in the cage, as Carwin bashed him with left hands in the clinch and decimated the former UFC champion to take the promotion’s interim title. With it, he took Mir’s chance for a rubber match with Brock Lesnar.

6. Junior dos Santos (11-1)
Dos Santos’ March 21 bout with Gabriel Gonzaga was supposed to be a sterner test for the hot Brazilian prospect. However, it was business as usual for “Cigano,” who used his boxing ability to turn out the lights on “Napao” and firmly entrench himself in the UFC heavyweight title race.

7. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1, 1 NC)
“Minotauro” had an army of backers who felt the former Pride and UFC heavyweight champion would put on a vintage performance against Cain Velasquez at UFC 110. However, post-fight discussion centered on whether or not Nogueira still has the physical tools to hang with young, elite heavyweights after Velasquez polished him off in a little more than two minutes.

8. Brett Rogers (10-1)
Despite the fact that Rogers was taken out by Fedor Emelianenko in November, “The Grim” will get the chance to vie for the Strikeforce heavyweight crown on May 15 in St. Louis. Rogers will take on champion Alistair Overeem, who makes his long-awaited return to the promotion after capturing its heavyweight title in November 2007.

9. Andrei Arlovski (15-7)
The former UFC champion has not seen action since June, when he lasted just 22 seconds against Brett Rogers. However, Arlovski has inked a deal with Strikeforce that will get him back into the cage soon. “The Pitbull” will take on Antonio Silva on May 15 in St. Louis.

10. Fabricio Werdum (13-4-1)
Werdum will have to wait another couple of months to fight for MMA’s heavyweight mantle. He expected to meet heavyweight kingpin Fedor Emelianenko in April, but Emelianenko’s contract dispute with Strikeforce means that “Vai Cavalo” will have to sit pretty until the early summer.

Other contenders: Josh Barnett, Roy Nelson, Alistair Overeem, Ben Rothwell, Antonio Silva.

These are all pretty straightforward, but I'd put Carwin above Velasquez just because he's the UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion, and Carwin still hasn't been out of the first round, whereas Cain Velasquez still needed 15 minutes to put away Cheick Kongo.

I think I'd also put JDS over Mir. JDS has been dominant, going through every single person put in front of him so far in the UFC, and Frank Mir has lost two of his last three.

What I have a major issue with is Andrei Arlovski's inclusion here, and it's why I can't stand Sherdog's rankings. With all apologies to IndyJon, Arlovski's just not a top 10 fighter right now. You can't fault him to losing to Fedor, but losing in 22 seconds to Brett Rogers? Between that, and the fact that he hasn't fought since June, and the fact that all Alistair Overeem does is win, and I just can't justify Arlovski being here in the top 10.

We haven't updated these in awhile, so let's get some discussion going as to how we would rank the top 10 in each division.

I don't agree with or like Sherdog's rankings, but I'll keep it consistent and use them for these.

These are all pretty straightforward, but I'd put Carwin above Velasquez just because he's the UFC Interim Heavyweight Champion, and Carwin still hasn't been out of the first round, whereas Cain Velasquez still needed 15 minutes to put away Cheick Kongo.

I think I'd also put JDS over Mir. JDS has been dominant, going through every single person put in front of him so far in the UFC, and Frank Mir has lost two of his last three.

What I have a major issue with is Andrei Arlovski's inclusion here, and it's why I can't stand Sherdog's rankings. With all apologies to IndyJon, Arlovski's just not a top 10 fighter right now. You can't fault him to losing to Fedor, but losing in 22 seconds to Brett Rogers? Between that, and the fact that he hasn't fought since June, and the fact that all Alistair Overeem does is win, and I just can't justify Arlovski being here in the top 10.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Don't worry man, I completely agree. Arlovski still being on this list has me shaking my head, not that I don't mind it. He has been inactive for close to a year after two devastating loses. It really makes no sense for him to still be in the top 10. Personally, I feel as though he should be at 11 or 12 with a win over Antonio Silva maybe putting him back at 10. But, I cannot believe he has been kept on this list for over a year without fighting. Though I do seem to remember Okami and Barnett having a similar thing happen to them during long periods of inactivity.

I actually think Roy Nelson should be on this list at 9 or 10, thus taking AA off the list. Nelson has been so good since coming to the UFC. Another win and he should be on this list with no questions asked. The rest of the list is pretty solid and makes sense. Maybe put Carwin in front of Velasquez since he did just win the interim title.

No way Arlovski should be there, Id put him right on the outside looking in. Like you said Indy a win over Big Foot could put him back in. He was on a roll before the losses to Fedor and Rodgers. I also think agree with you Indy and putting Nelson in 10th, then bumping Werdum in Arlovski's spot.
Carwin should be in front of Cain as well as JDS in front of Mir. My feeling on that is that Carwin and JDS have been more dominant than Cain and JDS. Plus like you said Guy, Carwin is the interim HW champ.

Lol... it's to the point now where I think Andrei Arlovski just has a spot on this list for life. I mean, people just refuse to take him off the top ten, but as much as I like the guy, he absolutely does not deserve to be there. He hasn't fought in almost a year, and his last fight was a lost in 20 seconds against someone who at the time wasn't even a top ten fighter. What the fuck? Like I said... I don't think they'll ever remove the guy, lol.

Anyway, as far as everything else... no big complaints. I agree with Guy that I would move Junior dos Santos past Mir; I think the Gonzaga and Cro Cop wins should put him past a guy who recently has a loss under his belt. I also agree with Guy that Shane Carwin should be past Cain Velasquez as well. Carwin recently beat a guy who beat the guy Cain had his biggest victory against. Moreover, I would say Carwin's win over Gonzaga was more impressive than all of Velasquez's wins other than Big Nog.

So, yeah... I'd do a little changing here and there, but I think the next fights for these guys will truly show what they're worth. Also expect Overeem to blast on up there if he beats Rogers as he should.

It'e been along since these were updated, so I figured why not give it a go and laugh at Sherdog's rankings yet again. These seem to be from a week or two ago.

1. Brock Lesnar (5-1)
Big-time heavyweight bouts seldom deliver, but Lesnar’s July 3 title defense against Shane Carwin did just that. In addition to likely pulling significant PPV numbers, Lesnar’s rousing second-round submission comeback showed he is not just a hulking frontrunner. The win set up what will likely be Lesnar’s biggest test to date when he defends against Cain Velasquez at UFC 121 on Oct. 23.

2. Fabricio Werdum (14-4-1)
Werdum improbably seized the biggest moment of his career on June 26. It took the grappling star just 69 seconds to end Fedor Emelianenko’s seven-plus-year reign over the heavyweight division. Whether Werdum’s next bout is a rematch against Emelianenko or former victim Alistair Overeem, his win will remain a massive moment in MMA history.

3. Fedor Emelianenko (31-2, 1 NC)
All good things come to an end. It was March 2003 when Emelianenko upset Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira to take MMA’s heavyweight mantle, and 87 months later, it took Fabricio Werdum just 69 seconds to force “The Last Emperor” to tap and concede that top spot. The next step for Emelianenko remains unclear, but the heavyweight landscape has definitely changed.

4. Cain Velasquez (8-0)
The July 3 matchup between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin was especially interesting for Velasquez, who was already tabbed to face the winner. Now, Velasquez will face the tallest task of his young career when he challenges Lesnar for the heavyweight throne at UFC 121 in October.

5. Junior dos Santos (12-1)
For the first time in his UFC tenure, dos Santos could not finish his foe. Nevertheless, at UFC 117 in Oakland, Calif., “Cigano” put a 15-minute beating on tough heavyweight Roy Nelson, took a unanimous decision and entrenched himself as the man to challenge the winner of October’s clash between Brock Lesnar and Cain Velasquez.

6. Shane Carwin (12-1)
For five minutes, it looked like Carwin was en route to taking the UFC heavyweight title from Brock Lesnar. However, the second round revealed the cardio shortcomings many forecasted for the mammoth Coloradan, who was hapless against Lesnar’s top game before succumbing to an arm-triangle choke.

7. Frank Mir (13-5)
In December 2008, Mir notched the biggest win of his MMA career, shocking the world by clobbering Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and stopping him in the second round. The onus will be on Mir to prove it was no fluke when he rematches “Minotauro” at UFC 119 on Sept. 25.

8. Alistair Overeem (33-11, 1 NC)
The next big bout for Overeem became obscured in just 69 seconds. Originally thought to be the most attractive opponent for Fedor Emelianenko, the shocking defeat of “The Last Emperor” -- and the Russian’s potential rematch with Fabricio Werdum -- leaves no clear path for Overeem.

9. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1, 1 NC)
After his December 2008 destruction at the hands of Frank Mir, Nogueira claimed a staph infection had crippled his performance. The MMA world should gain some insight as to whether or not Nogueira’s illness was formative when the former Pride heavyweight champion meets Mir in a rematch at UFC 119 on Sept. 25.

10. Antonio Silva (14-2)
Since he ran roughshod over heavyweights in Europe back in 2005, onlookers expected heavyweight greatness from Silva. On May 15, “Bigfoot” finally took a step toward those expectations, soundly outboxing Andrei Arlovski to a unanimous decision and recording the most significant win of his career.

Other contenders: Andrei Arlovski, Josh Barnett, Roy Nelson, Brett Rogers, Ben Rothwell.

I'm not sure I'd rank Werdum so high, it was only 4 fights ago that JDS whooped him in little over a minute. But being as he was the first guy to legitimately beat Fedor, I guess I can see how they would do that.

I would also give Overeem Mir's spot, just because Mir is a loser 2 out of his last 3, even though Overeem hasn't beaten anyone in the top ten in quite some time.

Well they finally took Arlovski out of it, but yet still consider him a contender. He is nowhere near the top 10! (Sorry Indy) I would give that spot to Mirko Cro Cop. I would also get Rothwell way away from it as well.

My top 10.

1. Fabricio Werdum - Listen, he beat the greatest fighter of all time in a minute... he's the #1 Heavyweight in the World right now just because of that fact. There's nothing more that needs to be said.

2. Brock Lesnar - I would consider having him at #1 if he had more than 5 wins under his belt, but since that isn't the case... I just can't do it right now. Nobody he has defeated is as impressive as Werdum's victory over Fedor.

3. Fedor Emelianenko - Agreed with Sherdog on this one.

4. Cain Velasquez - Agreed with Sherdog.

5. Junior dos Santos - Agreed with Sherdog.

6. Alistair Overeem - Overeem's beat a lot of cans over the past couple of years, but man... he destroyed those guys. That plus giving dominate performances against fighters like Cro Cop and Brett Rogers... he should definitely be higher than Sherdog lists.

7. Shane Carwin - Sure, he looked great against Lesnar, but he lost. Alistair hasn't lost since 2007, and his run since that year is more impressive than Carwin's, in my opinion. However, Carwin still deserves this spot for now just because of his domination over Mir and the fact that he gave Lesnar the fight he gave him.

8. Antonio Silva - Beat a game Andrei Arlovski, took Werdum to the absolute limit, and just has an overall impressive record. He's definitely one of the elite Heavyweights in the World right now; I don't know how anyone can make an argument against him.

9. Frank Mir - Dude got dominated against Shane Carwin, which is why he drops on my list. If Mir can ever get the heart to take a punch, then he'll undoubtedly be a top 3 Heavyweight in MMA, if not #1. However, he's just not capable of taking hard shots, which explains his losses to Carwin and Lesnar.

10. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira - I thought about putting Roy Nelson here over Big Nog, but Nelson's recent loss to Nog's protege was enough for me to justify my stance on this one. Sure, Nog is coming off a couple of devastating losses to Carwin and Mir, but he's still 4-2 in his last 6 fights, against some of the absolute best Heavyweights in the World. So, yeah... for now, he stays.

I actually agree with JMT's rankings to a T. He got all of the spots correct and exactly how I would have them. Overeem deserves the 6 spot because of the absolute domination he has shown, regardless of competition, over the last couple of years. Big Foot Silva is ahead of Mir and Nog because he has a win recently, whereas they are both coming off of loses. And, Mir is ahead of Nog simply because of MMA math. Mir beat Nog, therefor is ahead of him for now, unless Nog wins and Mir loses their next fights. There could also be an argument made for CroCop to take over either that 9 or 10 spot, but I won't fuck with that right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back