Cena surpassing Hulk Hogan

There's one thing I have to say and that is silly to think cena surpassed Hogan. As someone else mentioned Hogan did it without social media. Could you imagine if the internet was what it is today in Hogan era? Everything he did would've at least doubled. Cena has the benefit of social media and the e being what it is today which it wouldn't be if not for Hogan and even Austin. He is the modern day Hogan but he isn't Hogan. Just like LeBron is the modern day jordan but falls short of being Jordan. Had Hogan reigns not been so long how many times do you think he should've been champion? Hot potato wasn't the thing with titles back then so for those mentioning fifteen times please stop. Hogan was almost unbeatable and made so many (although crappy )movies,commercials etc.without Hogan there's no wrestlemania.without cena it just would've been someone else.to me that the difference.the only thing cena surpassed Hogan at I would say is wrestling ability as well as how much he does for make a wish etc. Hogan did as well but not as much as cena. Hogan made the machine what it is today. Cena is keeping it going. Ten to fifteen years from now will cena get the pops Hogan gets now when he shows up?I think all of what cena does and has done for the business won't be fully appreciated until he is done. In Hogans case it was appreciated while he was still there and on his way out.everything except the politics lol. Cena has had the run he's had because the e would never develop someone else to possibly be the top guy. When punk was the top guy(kind of) his merch out sold cena for a short period. To his credit working through injuries as many others have and no extended missed time and Vince mcmahons inability to move on from cena it's close. Sometimes I think Vince had done this on purpose to try to surpass Hogan cause Hogan will almost always be the face of wwe along with flair and others the face of wrestling. I will not be surprised if he doesn't pass flair and in all cause he was their product and not from the awa or nwa to try to make him the greatest all time cause that's Vince being Vince and quietly throwing it in the faces of anyone he can in his own mind

Interesting topic.

It's already been said, but Cena is not close to surpassing Hogan, and he never will be. I won't be one to say that it's impossible to surpass Hogan (there's arguments to be made that Austin either briefly did, or could have, as well as arguments that the Rock actually did)... but Cena is not the guy to surpass Hogan, and that's not a slight against Cena whatsoever.

First as others have done, you have to look at the overall influence on the industry both have had.

When Hogan became "the guy", while wrestling wasn't in the state that the guy who claimed they couldn't get crowds because no one believed in fake fighting until Hogan made them believe in it... it was definitely a niche business. You either liked it, or you thought it was the dumbest thing you'd ever heard of. Comparably it was similar in that way to how it is today, or how it was in the mid-90's (pre-attitude era).

Hogan led the way to the first real boom period in wrestling. There had been others (the 50's with the invention of TV would have been the biggest), but pro wrestling had never invaded the mainstream before like it did in the 80's with Hulk Hogan leading the way. If you weren't around for it, then it's hard to place into words exactly how over wrestling was with the general public, and how much of a larger than life star Hulk Hogan was.

John Cena hasn't led the WWE anywhere close to those heights. Austin and the Rock did. Cena? Nope. In those regards, I'd put him more on the level of Bret Hart/Shawn Michaels from the mid-90's. Well known. Accepted. Leaders of their eras. However leaders of an era where the only people watching them are actual wrestling fans. Not guys that can attract throngs of bandwagoners looking to be a part of the next big thing.

For those saying that professionally Cena has at least matched, if not surpassed Hogan? Quit looking at the number of titles someones won, because you're comparing apples to oranges, and really showing no understanding of the business. What Hogan accomplished in bringing wrestling to the mainstream like never before IS a professional accomplishment... and one that's far bigger than the number of times a booker decided he should be World champion.

And surpassing him in the ring? No. I'd probably put them on par with each other in that regard. Hogan made have had a limited 'moveset' inside the ring (I hate that term)... but he knew how to tell a story, and he knew better than anyone how to make you care about his matches. You watched his matches. You got invested in his matches. You lost yourself in his matches. Maybe some don't hold up as well over time, but Hogan was the guy that made you care about what he was doing... and THAT, is what professional wrestling is really about.

Cena's the same way. He's rather limited inside the ring. He does not have the best execution of his moves. But that guy can tell a story. He can make you care. Love him or hate him, you don't walk away or turn the channel when he's wrestling, and that's one of the biggest reasons he's held hte position that he has for so long.

Surpassing Hogan though? Sorry. I think he's surpassed Hart and Michaels, but that's as far as he'll get. If Hogan is the Babe Ruth of wrestling... then Cena's the Lou Gehrig of wrestling. Great talent, one of the all time best, but will be known for his longevity more than anything else.

Cena isn't close to matching Hogan, let alone surpassing him, and I say that as someone who miles prefers John Cena to Hulk Hogan. There's a reason why most fans consider wrestling as practically two different sports when judging who is the greatest of all time. There's the Before Wrestlemania age and the After Wrestlemania age and when we talk about Wrestlemania we're really talking about Hulk Hogan's drawing power. Without him Mania simply doesn't take off in the 1980s, without him I doubt Vince even attempts to have the event. Only Steve Austin and The Rock can touch Hogan when it comes top of the line wrestlers in the modern era and I'd still put Hogan ahead of even those two.

Cena is arguably the fourth biggest wrestler of all time, I say that because people argue it but I honestly don't think it is true. I think Macho Man, Bret Hart and Ric Flair are probably ahead of him in those rankings, possibly Undertaker too. He is a top ten wrestler though, I'd have him ahead of the likes of Sting, Shawn Michaels, Triple H, Mankind and Ultimate Warrior.

Cean defines an era. Hulk Hogan redefined the sport. There is simply no comparison between the two. Hogan laid the ground work for a lot of the things that those given the chance to run with the ball are doing or have done. The Make-A-Wish stuff. Merchandising. The larger than life hero as a figurehead. Nobody did it like Hogan. Steve Austin is a close second but Cena isn't even in the discussion yet. Not discrediting what he has done, but he just doesn't measure up to Hogan at this point.

In my view, Hulk Hogan is to me, what John Cena is to my son. Michael Jordan is to me, what LeBron James is to my son.

Cena and James to me are the Johnny Come Lately turned success stories, whereas Hogan and Jordon to my son are the Legends you find in a video game with the highest stat ratings. There was a short period of time, I’d say about a year, where my son’s favorite Legend was Hulk Hogan and my son would only wear Air Jordan’s on his feet. I want to say he was 3 at the time, and I did play a major role in his preferences. Now, his number one favorite, without even questioning the reasoning behind anything, is John Cena, and his favorite basketball player is the “King”. No matter what happens, I’m always going to view Hogan and Jordan as the best ever, but my son will view them as one of the best from an era long ago.

When we play WWE video games and have a Hulk Hogan vs. John Cena match, it usually goes either way. When we play my only basketball game for the XBOX 360, NBA 2K13, and have a Dream Team I vs. Team USA 2012 (which could have been named Dream Team XII, if they continued using that moniker for Team USA Basketball), that too goes either way.

There isn’t a right or wrong answer here to a certain extent. Cena could sell more shirts, headline more PPVs, become the first ever and only active WWE Hall Of Famer to hold the WWE World Heavyweight / Intercontinental / United States / Tag Team (by himself) Championship Title Belts at the same time. James could win the next 10 NBA Championships in a row, start getting quadruple doubles regularly, become the first NBA player to lead the league in every single category there is. On top of all that, my son will witness all of it and say they are the greatest.

The fact of the matter is Hogan and Jordan will always be Hulk freakin Hogan and Michael freakin Jordan to this guy and that will always mean more to me than what happens next.

Excellent topic and even better responses, loved reading them all. In short, Cena hasn't surpassed Hogans name in terms of importance to the business. In ring success I'd say they are tied really, if you strapped every belt these guys have won on them now you wouldn't be able to see them. Although Hogan has been in more promotions. Then again, wrestling has certainly changed compared to early Hogans days. Cena works way more than Hogan did in his prime.

Wrestling ability... Ugh with Hogan. Cena...even in his early awkward days, is still a way better wrestler in the ring.

On the mic ..... John Cena. The guy is just smarter on the mic. Can you picture Hogan vs Cena in a mic confrontation ? Even though Hogan is decent with his yelling and whatnot, Cena would eat him alive in any era.

So in some ways, Cena is BETTER than Hogan , but his star power is not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back