• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cena is not Hogan.... and his heel turn would not be as huge.

HeenanGorilla

Championship Contender
Over the last few days, I have seen a lot of arguing over the possibility/likelihood of a Cena heel-turn. A lot of people think he is stale and needs a change. A lot of other people point out his merchandise sales and say that Vince would never give up that earning potential.

There are pro and con arguments from today's product's fans. There are pro and con arguments from people who are talking business. (Laughably, by the way. The numbers some of you spew as far as what Cena earns and what Vince makes off of him...one moron said the WWE would be bankrupt if not for Cena merchandise sales. Haha! Cluelessness personified) But, the point is, there are debates from many different angles about this same topic.

To show you where I am coming from,...my days as a true wrestling fan are long gone. I do watch Raw sometimes. And I watch the Rumble and WrestleMania every year. I don't watch the other TV shows or PPVs, I don't go to shows, I don't buy merchandise. I will consider getting the network once the kinks are out, but only for nostalgic purposes...no new programming--maybe Legends House. But, I do log on to WrestleZone each day at work. Honestly, most of it is uninteresting to me. But, occassionally, I will see an interview with wrestlers from my era or articles referencing that time in wrestling history. However, most of the content is of no use to me. That isn't a shot at anyone. I am just passed the point of being a fan that many of you are experiencing now. As some of you may know, to cure boredom M-F 9-5, I sometimes stir the pot on this forum. I will respond with true feelings about good topics from my era of 1985-92, but also crap on some newer topics just to get a rise out of people...and to make the workday clock tick faster. So, I am a former HUGE wrestling fan who checks in to the product sporadically and reads this site a bit each day. That is where I am coming from.

Hulk Hogan was ENORMOUS during Hulkamania...that is not news to anyone. He was the biggest wrestling star ever and was mainstream as well. EVERYONE knew who Hulk Hogan was. He was the wholesome vitamins/prayers guy who slayed evil giants and defended America against foreign enemies like Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff and Sgt. Slaughter. His character stood for all that was good and he was a superhero to millions and millions of people.

John Cena is today's Hulk Hogan...but he is no Hulk Hogan. He does amazing work with charities and Make-A-Wish and has carried the ball for this international company for years and years. Especially in today's wresling world, that is incredibly impressive. But he is no Hulk Hogan. Cena is loved by kids who will buy anything having to do with him. He sells shirts, hats, arm bands, posters, action figures...and makes WWE a TON of money. Hogan was pretty much always red and yellow (wish I could write that without being reminded of Schiavone's awfully butchered red-and-yellow/calling him yellow comment during the heel turn...ugh, cringe-worthy). But Cena changes his colors pretty often, which gets the same kids to buy his stuff over and over again. You have the complete set of Cena merchandise now that you have his orange/blue shirt? Well, now it's purple and yellow...go buy more. You got the purple and yellow? Now it's green and pink...go buy more. It is smart and it works. But he is no Hulk Hogan.

Cena is loved by many and hated by many. Hogan was loved by more than Cena is loved and hated by much less than Cena is hated. Yes, Hogan was on his way out the door before his heel turn...but he wasn't HATED, he was just becoming irrelevant. The huge majority of people were either still in love with Hogan or indifferent about him at that point. So, his heel turn was HUGE!!! It betrayed kids, adults and everything he stood for and was the biggest turn in wrestling history. It rejuvenated his career and launched the NWO. Red and Yellow was now Black and White and the money started pouring in. But, business/money aside, the reaction was MONUMENTAL in the wrestling world. Cena will never get that same reaction. He is a superhero to kids now--much like Hogan was then--but too many adults hate him now as a face. His heel turn would shock the kids, flip the IWC on its ass for a while and be a source of great debate and speculation. But, like a tidal wave, it would roll in with huge impact and then fade back out to sea. Cena doesn't have the standing that Hogan did and his heel turn would be nowhere near as effective as a result. Cena is cheered by one group and booed by another. A heel turn would simply flip the sides and maybe gain him some more fans--those wanting more out of today's watered-down WWE. But, for the most part, the cheers will turn to boos, the boos will turn to (temporary) cheers...and the heel turn will be over before it starts. It, in no way, will be anywhere close to the wrestling world shocker of Hogan turning heel.

Merchandise, money, charity work...all reasonable and logical things to consider. This post is purely based on wrestling history and effect. They had a chance of making it huge by Cena screwing Taker out of the Streak, because people of many eras feel/felt passionate about the Streak being intact/broken. But, with that gone, Cena has no way to make the impact Hogan did.

A heel turn may come for John Cena. But he is no Hulk Hogan.

Of course he isn't Hogan but Cena turning heel would be amazing nonetheless.

Hulkamania was never ever going to die. Hulk Hogan and Hulkamania was going to live foreover and he was going to inspire people till the day he retired and beyond. He turned his back on everyone.

Austin was a bad-ass, edgy, anti-establishment face. He was at the peak of his powers when he shook hands with the boss. He sold out.

I place Cena right up there with Hogan and Austin. History suggests Cena will turn heel and it would be incredible. I still don't know if it will ever happen because the WWE are not in a position to allow it.

If Cena turned heel there would be tens of thousands of "Cenation" members devestated; thus turning them away from the product. John Cena is an icon and him turning heel would have a huge impact on people and there is no doubt about it.

I doubt that this would be a bad thing for Cena. He's had only one Heel run, so it's not unfamiliar territory.

Difference is, that he was far less popular in 2003 than he is today, so it could be excellent for the majority of the people involved, but devastating to a few of the loyal Cena fans. There are some of his fans who I'd think would stick with him through his eventual heel run. It's not going to be the complete disaster it is being made out to be.

Is he the Hulkster? Hell no. Is he trying to be? Hell no.

I think what will make it shocking is that as a face, he says he's gonna stay true to himself. The reason I said "he says" is because I've never met him, but based on things he does offscreen, and good things people say about him, he's a good person. So when you throw a heel turn in there, the entire planet will be shocked. It'll be a different type of shock, but shock nonetheless.

Of course it won't be as big as Hogan's. Hogan had the opportunity to be the first international franchise guy in wrestling, headlining a mammoth event unlike anything ever in wrestling which gained colossal press. Hogan was also bolstered by megastars from TV, sport and music (as well as a stronger supporting roster than Cena has). No pop group will ever be as big as the Beatles: they were the first band ever placed in that position by the media and the widespread public hysteria will never be duplicated for any guitar groups who come after, because in the eyes of Bloggs it's simply more of the same but not as good. Or hey, it may be better in your subjective opinion, but monster media, "classic status" and true "mania" is a difficult thing to see past. After all, "Hulkamania" was a take off of "Beatlemania".

Then of course, when wrestling's first hero jumped to the dark side, the Richter scale couldn't measure it. A heel turn for Cena wouldn't be as impactful as it was for Hogan because society and culture dictates that nobody can ever be as big as Hogan. Austin eclipsed Hogan in merchandise revenue per McMahon (although I'm dubious as to whether inflation has been considered), and many prefer Austin, but I don't believe he was ingrained in public consciousness like Hogan was.

Would it be as monumental as Hogan's heel turn? More than likely not, but to claim that it wouldn't be huge all the same is something I completely disagree with. When it comes to the ultimate "good guy" in pro wrestling, there's been nobody closer to that in the last 10 years than John Cena. While Cena & Hogan aren't exactly the same personas, they most certainly come from the same mold: having a clear cut stance of what's right & wrong, generating a family friendly image that appeals to kids, praising the virtues of physical fitness, displaying an intense level of patriotism any chance they get, sticking to their beliefs even in the face of overwhelming odds and almost always coming out on top. If it sounds like a comic book character from the 1950s, that's generally what the John Cena & Hulk Hogan personas are.

If John Cena suddenly "turned his back" on the fans, if he metaphorically wiped his ass with the creed of Hustle, Loyalty & Respect, if he essentially told fans to "stick it" like Hulk Hogan did at Bash at the Beach in 1996, it'd be a big deal. The internet would be buzzing like crazy, wrestling forums would be packed with IWC members giving their thoughts on the situation, it'd be the top story on any relevant wrestling news site and it'd probably even generate mainstream media attention due to Cena being so closely linked to organizations like Susan G. Komen and the Make A Wish Foundations.

From a personal standpoint, I don't think a Cena heel turn would be as big, but I certainly believe it'd come across as big, or maybe even bigger in the eyes of more modern fans, because of the internet. The internet is a MUCH stronger presence in everyday life today than it was in 1996. Factor in people's responses on the various wrestling forums, Facebook, Twitter and other forms of social media, it MIGHT be viewed as even more monumental by fans who either didn't see Hogan's heel turn nearly 18 years ago or are too young to really remember it.

John Cena is John Cena and not Hulk Hogan. I don't understand why people always say that, are there similarities? yes of course but at the end of the day they are two separate entities. That being said, John Cena turning heel would be HUGE and would make a BIG impact. Need I say more? no.

Cena's not Hogan but its not like he's trying to be Hogan either so no big deal there. WWE is such a different company now as it was then, it's impossible for Cena to have the impact Hogan had because Hogan was the key component in the expansion of sports entertainment, Hogan and Vince together pretty much changed everything, John Cena is just the guy carrying the mantle after all the work Hogan and Vince did so its an impossible measuring stick to live up to. WWE these day's makes money in so many different avenues than it did back in the Hogan days and although Cena will never be as big as Hogan was he doesn't need to be and John Cena has done more than enough over the last 9 years to carry WWE to where it is today.

WWE is at a point where it makes money essentially by being a machine so they will make money with or without Cena because of the groundwork Hogan and Vince laid together and the 30 years after the fact to build WWE into the #1 world destination for sports entertainment and wrestling, Cena will never have the chance to do that because the work is already done for him. All in all I will say this, John Cena is super popular (not at Hogan/Austin levels but still) and WWE is making more money now than ever, Cena may not be Hogan but what he is doing is obviously working and at the end of the day do you really need more than that?

With the Cena heel turn it will be big, but not as big as Hogan's turn for similar reasons why his face run isn't as big as Hogans. Wrestling has seen the 2 biggest faces of all time turn heel, which will ultimately make Cena's turn less impactful because we've already seen it before and unlike Hogan's heel turn, everyone seems to be waiting for it to happen which will bring the surprise down greatly.

You forgot to mention that water is wet.

Hulk Hogan in the 80's and 90's was bigger than John Cena today. Few were discussing a Hogan heel turn in 1996, it is a common theme with Cena for the past five years. WWE and Cena have even teased the idea on occasion. Cena plays up the heel role to certain sections of the audience by basically telling them that he is not going to change who he is for them.

Cena being so low on the WM card and facing someone like Wyatt in 2014 is a far bigger shock than a Cena heel turn.

Way to really stir the pot.

Only thing a heel turn is going to do is change who says "Lets Go Cena" and "Cena Sucks." Kids and women love him, most guys hate him. Turn him heel, kids will hate him and guys in my demographic will be all over his jock because he'll be a cool heel.

Of course, the women will still love him regardless :p

It will take a storyline of epic proportion for him to be a true heel everyone hates, which doesn't really exist anymore since heels and faces seem to be disappearing.

If the phrase "it's like comparing apples to oranges" ever applied, it's here. Different eras, different business models, nothing about the CLIMATE of wrestling is even close to how it was when Hogan had his big run in the 80's or when he turned in '96. And Hogan didn't just turn heel, he formed a faction with two guys who were huge stars in the WWF and had just come in to WCW. That alone means that there is no way a Cena turn could be comparable to what happened w/ Hogan.

There weren't "HOGAN SUCKS!" chants raining down on Hogan for years leading up to it. Many people were tired of his schtick, and there were smattering of boos in certain places, but there wasn't this "heel turn" cloud hanging over his head like there is with Cena. And there weren't message boards filled w/ threads about whether or not Hogan should turn heel, which we have had with Cena now for 7+ years.

Hogan's turn was a true SHOCK, if Cena turns it will only be shocking that the WWF actually goes through with it, but it couldn't possibly be as big a deal as it was with Hogan.

Cena will not be turning heel, not any time soon. Why? Because while it might be what's best for TV, it's worst for business.

Cena's a very unique creature in that he's adored by young male fans and female fans, but hated by adult male fans. While all the children's cheers may be drowned out by the deafening boos of the adult males in the arenas, the deafening boos of of the adult males are drowned out by the children making him the WWE's most profitable superstar in terms of merchandising sales and such.

If they did turn Cena heel, it's not like those who hated him would immediately jump on some bandwagon and drive up the sales. What could, and likely would happen is that the disillusioned youngsters would turn on him, causing a catastrophic drop in merchandising sales over night. And in an era lacking in marketable superstars, nobody can deny that it would not be best for business.

What would a Cena heel turn actually accomplish?? Yes, he is SUPER stale and needs that heel push. But isnt Cena a Heel now with the audience?? What would him becoming a 'Bad guy' accomplish??? ZERO!!!! It gives the people who boo him something to cheer for and the people who cheer for him, someone to boo.

Hogans heel turn came out of nowhere. People didnt see that coming from a MILE away. And it shocked EVERYONE!!! Cena turning heel is expected and there is no real payoff. In fact I see a Daniel Bryan heel turn WAY before Cena does.

Heres also the difference with comparing Hogan's Heel turn with Cena's potential turn:

HOGAN:

Hogan pulled off one of the best heel turns in Wrestling. He was stale for many years in WCW. Terrible storylines, Terrible Promos and just didnt have 'It' in WCW. Hogan came down dropped the leg on Savage and that was the 'MOMENT'

Merch sales went through the roof. Hell even I had on an NWO shirt in one of my High School photos. But that was due to great marketing and solid promos. People got on board with heel Hogan and the NWO.

Heel Hogan lasted for years. It wasnt a flash in the pan and he was back to being face again. WCW ran hard with heel Hogan cause it got rating and people went nuts for it.

CENA:

Cena will NEVER have that heel moment. Mainly because everyone pretty much expects it to happen sometime. And is there really a way to make him turn truely heel and still have the fans NOT cheer him?? No there isnt. He would have to come down and basically murder Daniel Bryan in the ring in order for everyone to get on the hate train.

Merch sales would be affected to some degree but that all really depends on how they handle Cena turning. Do they make him an NWO type character, where people get on board with a heel stable.

WWE needs to make Cenas heel turn believable and run with it hard. Dont have creative change their minds 3-6 months later and then we have Cena back to wearing stupid shirts and using the same 5 moves all over again. That would be the worst thing the WWE can do. It would bring us back to where we are right now.

I think Cena should turn heel when WWE becomes a bit more edgy again. It would be awesome to have a ruthless heel Cena who destroys his opponents & bloodies them to a pulp. Not exactly sure what his character should be, but I think he should be portrayed as one of the most evil villains that wrestling has seen. Nothing like the way he is now, but a complete 180 entirely.

You forgot to mention that water is wet.

Hulk Hogan in the 80's and 90's was bigger than John Cena today. Few were discussing a Hogan heel turn in 1996, it is a common theme with Cena for the past five years. WWE and Cena have even teased the idea on occasion. Cena plays up the heel role to certain sections of the audience by basically telling them that he is not going to change who he is for them.

Cena being so low on the WM card and facing someone like Wyatt in 2014 is a far bigger shock than a Cena heel turn.

Way to really stir the pot.

You're really one of the two or three worst people on this forum. Your continuous refusal--or inability--to read makes you look even worse than before, which seemed hard to do.

For those with literary skills, my post was addressing people arguing Cena is as big as Hogan, not "stirring the pot" by stating that Hogan was better than Cena.

That Mongoose guy, need you say more? I think it would have been fine if you said less...since you said next to nothing. But George Steele's Barber...I feel like a bully responding to him because I have a brain and he struggles with the written word. I feel like that older cousin who would dunk on or block the much younger cousin who had no chance to begin with. I would normally let such an inferior mind go on living its nothing life; but, you are so bitchy during your mindless rants, all my guilt goes away.

I am not arguing that Hogan was bigger than Cena. That is obvious--or apples to oranges as that other moron who missed the point said. I am addressing those who keep stating that Cena is bigger than Hogan. If you didn't say Cena was bigger than Hogan, then I'm clearly not talking to you and you should shut the fuck up with your needless defensive bitching. If you are one of the people who do feel Cena is as big as Hogan---stated by many in comments sections and posts over the last few weeks--then I am addressing you.

This is not a post bashing Cena. It is not a post bashing those who think Cena is equal to Hogan. It IS a post where I debate those who feel this way. ...and now a post where I have to defend my clear thought to a ****** George Steele's Barber. One of, if not THE WORST, people on this forum. Like a kid who can't swim hanging out poolside everyday, this illiterate fool hangs out on a forum where reading and writing are the basis. Further proof his brain is poor at best.

You're really one of the two or three worst people on this forum. Your continuous refusal--or inability--to read makes you look even worse than before, which seemed hard to do.

For those with literary skills, my post was addressing people arguing Cena is as big as Hogan, not "stirring the pot" by stating that Hogan was better than Cena.

That Mongoose guy, need you say more? I think it would have been fine if you said less...since you said next to nothing. But George Steele's Barber...I feel like a bully responding to him because I have a brain and he struggles with the written word. I feel like that older cousin who would dunk on or block the much younger cousin who had no chance to begin with. I would normally let such an inferior mind go on living its nothing life; but, you are so bitchy during your mindless rants, all my guilt goes away.

I am not arguing that Hogan was bigger than Cena. That is obvious--or apples to oranges as that other moron who missed the point said. I am addressing those who keep stating that Cena is bigger than Hogan. If you didn't say Cena was bigger than Hogan, then I'm clearly not talking to you and you should shut the fuck up with your needless defensive bitching. If you are one of the people who do feel Cena is as big as Hogan---stated by many in comments sections and posts over the last few weeks--then I am addressing you.

This is not a post bashing Cena. It is not a post bashing those who think Cena is equal to Hogan. It IS a post where I debate those who feel this way. ...and now a post where I have to defend my clear thought to a ****** George Steele's Barber. One of, if not THE WORST, people on this forum. Like a kid who can't swim hanging out poolside everyday, this illiterate fool hangs out on a forum where reading and writing are the basis. Further proof his brain is poor at best.

I have to agree with George on this one.

You are not debating whether Cena is as big as Hogan, you are debating whether the heel turn would be as big. And this my friend is completely different.

Now I think we can agree on a lot of things, different era's, different exposure, different general opinion of wrestling since the 90's etc etc.

And you HAVE to take this into consideration when you make a statement like you did. Now I understand that :

- Hogan turning heel was a shock
- Hogan was a bigger star than Cena
- Hogan was a pioneer

So there's people that argue the fact that Cena's heel turn wouldn't have a big impact because people boo him since 2009. That could not be more wrong. It's actually because people scream : "Cena Sucks" that a Cena heel turn would be as big as Hogan's in my book.

The reaction would not be the same,

For Hogan :

- "Holy shit! WTF is happening!?"

For Cena :

- "Fina-fkin-lly I never thaught it would happened!!"

Mark my words, if Cena turns heel his merchandise sell would be as big of a number if not more. If Cena turns heel he goes for onw of the most hated guys to the biggest star in the WWE.

It would create such a huge buzz that wasn't possible in 96 because of the importance of the internet and social media. Cole would say "Cena'sheelturn is trending worlwide" for weeks.

Finally, I love the fact that you took some time out of your day to post this thread. But you can't expect to argue with people that know/love/still watch wrestling around a fact that we've been talking about for years, while you watch 2 broke girls on monday nights.

It's like me going to post my opinion on Dexter's finale while I watched 1 episode out of 4-5

"...is not Hogan" could be said about ANY performer in the industry. No-one else is comparable to Hulk in that they reached his level of stardom and remained a face their entire WWE career. No-one except Hogan reached those heights.

Yes, it was a huge deal with Stone Cold turned heel and sided with his arch enemy Vince McMahon, but we had seen Austin as a heel before and his character wasn't the stereotypical good guy like Hogan. Austin wasn't made out to be the hero of the people and the American icon like Hulk.

Cena is probably the closest to Hogan in terms of "always doing the right thing" and "overcoming all the odds" but again we have seen him as a heel in the past during his rapper phase. He gets booed all the time anyway, so half the fans would be pleased he turned heel, and would probably cheer him.

You're definitely right, a Cena heel turn would not be as big as Hulk joining Hall and Nash at BATB in WCW, but it would definitely be the biggest character switch in a long time, and something I would love to see. If anything, it could make him MORE popular than he is now, as a large percentage of people really do want him to turn heel as his current character is so damn stale at the moment. It would reinvigorate Cena, make him seem fresh and would allow him to unleash his anger on the WWE Universe for turning their backs on him, rather than the cheesy, childish bile he sprays these days.

I have to agree with George on this one.

You are not debating whether Cena is as big as Hogan, you are debating whether the heel turn would be as big. And this my friend is completely different.

Now I think we can agree on a lot of things, different era's, different exposure, different general opinion of wrestling since the 90's etc etc.

And you HAVE to take this into consideration when you make a statement like you did. Now I understand that :

- Hogan turning heel was a shock
- Hogan was a bigger star than Cena
- Hogan was a pioneer

So there's people that argue the fact that Cena's heel turn wouldn't have a big impact because people boo him since 2009. That could not be more wrong. It's actually because people scream : "Cena Sucks" that a Cena heel turn would be as big as Hogan's in my book.

The reaction would not be the same,

For Hogan :

- "Holy shit! WTF is happening!?"

For Cena :

- "Fina-fkin-lly I never thaught it would happened!!"

Mark my words, if Cena turns heel his merchandise sell would be as big of a number if not more. If Cena turns heel he goes for onw of the most hated guys to the biggest star in the WWE.

It would create such a huge buzz that wasn't possible in 96 because of the importance of the internet and social media. Cole would say "Cena'sheelturn is trending worlwide" for weeks.

Finally, I love the fact that you took some time out of your day to post this thread. But you can't expect to argue with people that know/love/still watch wrestling around a fact that we've been talking about for years, while you watch 2 broke girls on monday nights.

It's like me going to post my opinion on Dexter's finale while I watched 1 episode out of 4-5

Have you seen the jugs on that chick from 2 Broke Girls?! They're incredible! Haha

I see what you are saying, but you have to realize that I am not pro- or anti- Cena. I admitted that today's product is not my bag. My point wasn't to prove that Hogan was bigger. As everyone knows, Hogan was bigger than anyone. THAT is why I felt the need to address the ones who dispute that fact. I think there are a lot of passionate feelings about Cena--pro or con--and people tend to see anything written about him as bashing or praising. That isn't what I was doing. I was only addressing those who were saying he would outdo the Hulkster.

Well, that's enough wrestling talk for today....I'm too distracted by the 2 Huge Melons from 2 Broke Girls. Jerk.. haha!

It really depends on how they execute it.

If all he does is screw Daniel Bryan out of the title then you are right, people will care for maybe a week.

I agree completely that if they were going to end the streak this year, then it absolutely should have went to Cena. Have him win dirty and rejuvenate his career with a heel run. That would have instantly made his heel turn a historic moment.

But now? I don't really know what they could do to make it a big moment.

But you are right in that it won't be as huge as Hogan's turn, simply because Hogan's turn exists, and because Hogan's turn exists, a Cena heel turn is inevitable, and while it will be an exciting time for wrestling fans, it won't have the same shock that Hogan did.

You're really one of the two or three worst people on this forum.

You can't prove any of that without finding a body.

Your continuous refusal--or inability--to read makes you look even worse than before, which seemed hard to do.

You're not exactly Kafka, your comments are clear. I just don't see any point in them.

And yet none of these mysterious people have shown up to discuss. Just a lot of people saying, "no shit".

Hold on while I consult with an English professor on whether or not this last sentence qualifies as irony or hypocrisy or both.

I am not arguing that Hogan was bigger than Cena. That is obvious--or apples to oranges as that other moron who missed the point said. I am addressing those who keep stating that Cena is bigger than Hogan.

So you're not arguing, you are addressing people that say Cena is bigger than Hogan. I thought you were were arguing and addressing that Hogan's heel turn would be bigger than a Cena heel turn?

If you didn't say Cena was bigger than Hogan, then I'm clearly not talking to you and you should shut the fuck up with your needless defensive bitching. If you are one of the people who do feel Cena is as big as Hogan---stated by many in comments sections and posts over the last few weeks--then I am addressing you.

Compare my post, which supported your addressing, and your response and tell me who is being defensive.

Now with that said where are these people who said Cena is bigger than Hogan and Cena's heel turn would be bigger? This thread has been here for over a day and no one has disagreed. Can you quote these people or provide a link? Do you think that maybe you might have more luck having this discussion in the same place you read those comments? Maybe it would help if you quoted those people here? Maybe it would help if you PM'd those people?

Why don't you try to teach the kid how to swim? Do you want him to drown? And you call me a horrible person?

Cena<Hogan. Hogan's heel turn takes away from any turn for a long time. It is 2014. Cena would have to get caught selling meth to Make A Wish kids for his "heel turn" to mean as much as Hogan's.

Yes. A Cena heel turn would not be as huge as a Hogan heel turn. Is anyone arguing this? If they are, they're wrong. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

As mentioned here, Hogan is the biggest wrestling name ever. EVER. I don't know anyone who doesn't know Hulk Hogan. Whether you're 10 or 30 or 60 or 80, you know Hulk Hogan. On that fact alone, a Cena heel turn wouldn't be as popular. Then you have the fact that this was the boom of professional wrestling. Not only was it popular. It was pop culture popular. It was cool to like wrestling. Then thrown in the unexpectedness as others mentioned. People did not expect Hogan to turn heel. Not at all. He was the biggest hero ever. Bigger than WWF. Bigger then WCW. Bigger than wrestling. Hulk Hogan was the good guy.

John Cena is the current good guy. He's WWE popular. Most people don't know him. He's not a big deal. Wrestling has changed. It's not as popular as it was. It may make more money. It way be able to sell out stadiums for Wrestlemania, but it's not as popular as it was in the late 90s. Not even close. Cena would be the biggest heel turn of the past 10 years, sure. He's the top guy and he's a perennial good guy. But he's not on Hogan's level Not even close. A Cena heel turn might be WWE interesting, but that's all it would be.

This topic is quite possibly one of the dumbest I have came across here in recent weeks! Cena is no Hogan, maybe not. But he is the closest thing this generation has to a Hulk Hogan. Make no mistake about it, if Cena ever turns heel it'll be the biggest thing to happen in WWE is years. One of the main reasons Hogan turned heel and aligned himself with the NWO is because fans were getting tired of the same old dated routine that Hogan had been doing since the 80s. Sound familiar? It should. Cena has been doing the same stuff since 2004 and hasn't changed in many respects. WWE constantly teased its smart fans with this and Cena has referenced this in many of his promos and claimed he'd never change. So, you are right. It won't be as big as Hogan's heel turn it might even be bigger.

Only thing a heel turn is going to do is change who says "Lets Go Cena" and "Cena Sucks." Kids and women love him, most guys hate him. Turn him heel, kids will hate him and guys in my demographic will be all over his jock because he'll be a cool heel.

Of course, the women will still love him regardless :p

It will take a storyline of epic proportion for him to be a true heel everyone hates, which doesn't really exist anymore since heels and faces seem to be disappearing.

Thought i wonder what will happen if he turns on Daniel Bryan? Will he be the cool heel still, i reckon a majority of fans will hate him .Imagine the possibilites it opens up for alot faces

Daniel Bryan vs John Cena just becomes 10 times more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back