• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Cena how many memorble reigns?

Starkiller

Occasional Pre-Show
i know there is a lot of debate about where does cena rank all time due to him being on a record pace to capture yet another world title. While guys like Hogan have half as many world title reigns and twice as many combined days of holding the championship.

I find guys like hogan, Bret, Austin had some very memorable reigns as champion and that really stands out for me.

Out of the 15 world title reigns cena has had, how many of his reigns were memorable for you?

Im just curious to hear what you think since he has had a fair share of them.

None of them to tell you the truth. I was impressed though when he won against Big Show and I think Edge. He picked up two of them at the same time and gave the AA to Show I believe. It was at either Wrestlemania 24 or 25. Other than that I got nothing.

i know there is a lot of debate about where does cena rank all time due to him being on a record pace to capture yet another world title. While guys like Hogan have half as many world title reigns and twice as many combined days of holding the championship.

I find guys like hogan, Bret, Austin had some very memorable reigns as champion and that really stands out for me.

Out of the 15 world title reigns cena has had, how many of his reigns were memorable for you?

Im just curious to hear what you think since he has had a fair share of them.

I guess the first one was memorable.....because it was the first time where I remember a good number of the fans in attendance(close to half if not more) rooting for the heels to beat him for the title(Jericho and Angle). And I remember the excitement when Edge cashed in on him(a first).

So I'd say that run was memorable, though not because of anything special that Cena did.....unless becoming a widely disliked face champion in record time is special.

He was so over when he was U.S. champ and maybe when he first won the title off JBL. That all went away quickly.

Yeah those were interesting title reigns and seem so long ago . Probably his first world title reign was his most memorable when I try and think about it.

And I didn't realize, during his first reign, he had feuds with Jericho/angle and majority of fans started to root against him. And despite his face push wwe had to actually bring this up on air spinning it as cena being a "controversial" champion. I thought he didn't start to become a controversial champion til later in his career when fans of my generation thought he was a stale one dimensional character.

And I didn't realize, during his first reign, he had feuds with Jericho/angle and majority of fans started to root against him. And despite his face push wwe had to actually bring this up on air spinning it as cena being a "controversial" champion. I thought he didn't start to become a controversial champion til later in his career when fans of my generation thought he was a stale one dimensional character.

Yeah if you watch Summerslam 2005, I believe that was the first time we heard the dueling "Let's go Cena/Let's go Jericho(or whoever)" chants. First time I remember it anyway. So that's been going on for a long time. And that was only a few months into Cena's reign.

And then his next feud was with Angle, and it was the same thing. While Jericho and Angle were great workers who carried Cena to very good matches....perhaps it was a mistake to have him feud with such highly respected guys at that point. Because the Edge feud briefly got fans back on Cena's side(the Matt Hardy-Edge thing had even the smarks hating Edge at the time), and the fans definitely would've stayed behind Cena if he feuded with someone like Muhammad Hassan.

I don't know what number reign it was but I liked Cena's 1+ year reign with the WWE Title the best because it was the first time in 17 years that the WWE had booked a year long reign for their top title and I liked the variety of challengers that Cena defended the belt against and overcame. Monsters like Umaga, Great Khali & Bobby Lashley, legends like Shawn Michaels & Mick Foley, his current top rivals in Edge & Randy Orton, and King Booker. He had some awesome matches during that reign too - Umaga at Royal Rumble 2007, HBK at Wrestlemania 23, the Fatal 4 Way at Backlash 2007. The only awful thing to come from that reign is just his feud with Kevin fuckin' Federline.

It has to be his first one if we're debating most memorable. The first is always the most memorable, and if it's not...they kinda just fall off into the mid card afterwards(aside from exceptions of course). The Undertaker is my favorite wrestler but I never got to see him as champion until he beat Batista for it at Mania I believe, hugely memorable for me. Cena winning it his first time is the same thing. After that, it becomes a number to me(again, exceptions).

Cena, 15 time world champion...cool.
Orton, 12 time...cool
Ziggler, 1 time???ok

Maybe I don't feel like the belt is prestigious enough or maybe I just don't care. In terms of Cena, his reigns don't effect me much at all. He's been willing to drop the belt multiple times which I imagine he has the power to stop. He just doesn't care. He's happy with his short meaningless reigns. Nothing against that.

His one with Big Show and Edge stands out, it was wedged between Taker/HBK and Trips/Orton. So I think most people forget it(I did xD).

If you typed up when he won them and how he did it, it would come to me but right now...nope

They've mostly been pretty memorable to me. The one that was least memorable is probably when he won it from ADR and then I think somehow punk won it back in 2011. The rest of his championships I can remember something I liked about them. That whole time frame in 2011 was stupid. I actually remember more of his reigns than other people's now that I think about it

The first few were memorable. He had some big feuds in the first run, ending with the MiTB cash in. His second reign had his feud with Triple H and RVD's cash in, with the famous If Cena wins we Riot sign. And the third reign was over a year long, and featured some good matches with Umaga, the classics against HBK on Mania and RAW, and the first Orton feud. This really stick out to me. After that, it starts to get diluted. I actually remember all of them, but as we get into the more recent reigns, they seem less important or memorable. Although, while the reigns are less memorable, each of the 15 have all had memorable moments. Sheamus winning it from him, the Batista feud, Money in the Bank and SummerSlam 2011, Mark Henry's retirement fake out, the Edge Big Show double AA, the TLC with Orton, and Brock destroying him at SummerSlam.

IMO, there hasn't been a memorable title reign since the early 2000's..probably HHH's reign when he feuded with Foley. Now let me explain before I am attacked lol. Entire reigns aren't memorable anymore because the belt doesn't mean anything anymore. Its all about single feuds now. Cena has had lots of memorable feuds but with how much the belt changes hands I couldn't identify which feud went with which reign. Its hard to separate reigns when they are 2-3 months apart. For example, when he first drop the belt to Punk, does anybody actually remember that title reign? I have no clue who he beat for the belt or who he faced the ppv before MITB. Was the nexus story part of that reign? Seriously all I remember is punk vs cena...i have no clue how or why Cena even had the belt, but I can fully explain HBK first reign, HHH 2000 reign, Austin's first reign.

Well, the first one I suppose is always the most memorable. Although, if I'm correct, his first three reigns totalled in at 280 days, 133 days and 380 days. Of course, as Dean Ambrose's United States Championship reign will tell you, numbers don't mean anything, but in reality, these first three reigns were genuinely good. Feuds with JBL, Chris Jericho, Kurt Angle, Edge, Triple H, Umaga, Shawn Michaels, Bobby Lashley and more featured here, and I think, these three reigns are much more noteworthy than any reign since. I enjoyed these reigns, for different reasons too. Plus, before Cena won the strap for 380 days, I can't remember the last time someone had a year-plus reign. Back then, it was pretty impressive. It's funny, when I think about it, I really enjoyed John Cena back then. Shame it had to change.

Anyway, the first three reigns were pretty good. After that, it's hit and miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back