"Cena Fans"

First off I am going to state that I agree with the OP, I originally liked Cena but that was for his edgy gimmick back before he was champion. I bought the album, got the wrist band etc etc. But now I just dont like the character that he plays. Its not that he appeals to children, its just I have outgrown the character that he plays on TV. But if he entertains the younger audiences then so be it. They have a hero to look up to, and a very good one, hell I would love my son to watch Cena growing up and he sets a good example of how a human should be. Respectable to others etc etc.

Anyways now to the main part of my post...I am sick and tired of reading these bitching contests between cena haters and cena likers...I mean really? It's getting old now, it's a rivalry that is just completely childish...I am not here to troll or bash I am just giving my opinion because frankly its boring. I am suprised I actually read through all the pages, but hey I like reading peoples opinions, so I decided to stay on the pages reading...usually I just close the thread.

If you like Cena fine, if you hate Cena fine...does it really matter, I mean what are you going to gain out of it? Hold on i might have an old stale cookie here, or I will write into blue peter and get you a gold badge

And oh, btw, even in the Attitude Era (which I can see you disliked), there were calls for more family-friendly and inclusive programming, from many quarters. And yet the WWE/F did its most successful business ever, in that era. Why? I am not from the USA so I am unaware of social trends in the USA as such. Do you mean to imply that society during the late 90s was okay with adult content and many actually loved it, and today the society wishes to revert to more family-friendly entertainment? I don't think so, as I said, even in the Attitude Era the parents and many other entities wanted the WWF to tone down, but they didn't and they were hyper successful.

In response to your comment that I am misinformed, I wish to ask you this - was Sammartino ever booed heavily (I don't know, maybe you do). was Hogan ever booed as the top face? Probably not. Though I think some of the crowd used to go dead on him during the later stages of his epic face run (early-mid 90s)? Did Austin ever get booed as the top face (don't tell me 2001, he was heel then). No he didn't. This I can confirm because I watched all of his run as top face (and don't tell me 1997 because he wasn't the top guy yet in 97). Weren't the fans during each of the corresponding eras, also a mix of adults and kids (though may be in differing proportions)? Why did these guys never get booed heavily by one section of the fans then? Don't tell me it wasn't cool to boo them but it's cool to boo Cena - that is just stupid!
Why then does Cena get booed by one section of fans? Isn't there something wrong somewhere? Has the top face of the WWE/F ever been booed as heavily as Cena, and for so long? I think not.
You get my point?

And even if Hogan DID get booed at some point in the early-mid 90s, it still proves my other point - that after a certain point any character become stale, at least according to some fans.
And how do you know this is the right time for WWE to be PG? I am not saying this is the wrong time - I am just asking you how you can assert that it is the right time? Why wasn't it the right time 10 years ago? Also, wasn't the time more right 5 years ago (when Cena hardly got a few boos except at events like ECW's ONS)? Do you have some data to back this? Or is it the right time only because you think so?
Lastly, have you observed that the WWE has slowly been turning away from PG in 2011? Very slowly, but they are doing it? So would you say now that it is the right time to turn a bit away, or would you criticize them?

You've asked 2 questions and answers are simple. Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart didn't get ever booed out of the arena when they were faces there was no internet at that time. Internet is the fucking reason that killed professional wrestling business entirely. After people started to have more of inside information about wrestling business they started to think like they know professional wrestling business more than mainstream fans. The most main way to prove yourself to someone is proving the different thought to them. Thats why John Cena is hated thats why many indy promotions are treated as the best thing to ever come. Thats why they prefer in ring product as opposed to entertainment because those things are what mainstream fans don't like so much. Why do you think whenever a new wrestler shows up on RAW or Smackdown people start to open threads of future of WWE. They want him to pushed up to moon so quickly to prove that they know business better and they can see the potential the other couldn't. I'm not saying they do this intentionally but although if they do it unintentionally that thought is in their conscious.

As for the fucking 1.000.000th Attitude era argument I don't like PG era either. Because I prefer darker and edy characters and storylines. But I don't hate PG era. Because my favorite wrestler Edge has shined in this era. I've watched some of the good feuds such as Punk vs Hardy, Jericho vs Michaels, Edge vs Cena etc. I've watched some of the most unforgettable matches in this era such as Michales vs Flair, Michaels vs Undertaker, Cena vs Edge TLC etc. So even though I prefer Attitude era I don't hate PG era because it's not that bad people make it out to be. Do you know why it is the right time to turn PG. Because everyday there is coming more younger audience. It's much more smarter to market towards that audience because when you earn their loyalty they become at least 10 year loyal to your product, satistify with the product no matter what, buy up all the merchandise you give them, force their families to go to a WWE show... Maybe Attitude era have higher ratings and it was more popular but PG era is more benefical. At the end of the day those kids will grow up and WWE will once again become an edgy product. So it's a cycle that goes on forever when younger audience starts to come they put their product toward them when they grow up they change it with their changed up tastes.

What a thread!!
Not too long ago I was told by some long time WWE fans (who have watched wrestling more than me) that Cena can't wrestle. I also got to know during that time that WWE is scripted and rehearsed dramatic performances. So, since I was told something true and something i didn't knew before that time, I took each and every word of it as a gospel and was convinced myself that Cena can't wrestle, and he is shoved down my throat. I was shown videos and made to realize that Cena isn't liked my majority, so if I like Cena, it means that I don't belong that elite, knowledgeable, hardcore fan group who know more about the business than me. Each and every move made by wrestler, or WWE as a whole was suppose to be analyzed and seen from the perspective of knowledgeable and intelligent fan. Any move/match made by Angle, Taker and HBK was supposed to be concluded as a 'Technically brilliant' move, or great story telling, just like any move/match made by Cena was suppose to be concluded as slow, dull or 'same old shit'.

Well, I suppose that I just grew out of it. I realized, if Cena is shoved down my throat by WWE, then Cena's negative perception is shoved down my throat by some holy members of IWC. Its a total blasphemy that attitude era fans, hardcore fans, old time fans, and only technically knowledgeable fans don't like Cena. Its even bigger blasphemy that only kids and females like Cena. Well, lets just face it, some of us are just too proud to accept that not only we are being worked out and we are simply adding to fan reaction machinery, but also fact that we are in a state of self-denial that we know more about the business than we think we do. None of this is wrong, since these arguments keeps me interested in WWE :), as I get to talk about for what has been my favorite pass time (which is watching WWE) for last 12-13 years. Yes, I am an Old fan, but by no means someone who knows about how things operate backstage. I even refuse to believe what wrestlezone or any other site has to say about the backstage news which they claim have got from some 'reliable source' :). These websites are earning their bread by giving so called 'news', there is nothing wrong in it, its entertainment at the end of the day.

Being a proud Cena now, I would say you can yell all you want, be either side of it, be reasonable or un-reasonable, or whatever, but you should know where you stand. Cena can produce good drama, he has produced great matches, he has consistently got my attention from past 6-7 years as far as I can remember. I watch raw and smackdown regularly, and Cena's segment is something i look forward to all the times. I don't think he sucks, he rocks, almost all the time.

I can see where you are coming from Tuffy but I would say that it works both ways. I have seen some of the statements that you are talking about wherein some fans try to justfiy their "wisdom" by calling others "Cena fans." These type of guys have been put into their place a number of times by most of the posters around here. Actually, it has happened in the course of this thread as well.

However, as I said earlier, it works both ways. It seems that some people on here take forum life too seriously. As you might know, some of the better posters on here, the ones who are on the staff or with huge rep power are fans of Cena. Therefore too impress them there are posters who go out of their way with the Cena support and make the most illogical statements and label him to be a better superstar and draws than the likes of Hogan and Austin and miss no opportunity to lambast the Attitude Era either or how he "owned" Rock in the lead-up to WrestleMania 27.

So, it happens both ways. There will always be a section of the crowd who will do such things to look cool and be appreciated. But I do feel that sometimes dumb Cena fans, those who make outrageous statements in the support of both Cena and the PG Era get much more leeway around here than dumb Cena fans. Both, in my opinion, should be harshly dealt with.

At the end of the day you should be able to justify your liking and your disliking for any superstar. That is what will make you respected around here, not nonsensical hate or insanic love for any one superstar.

As for Cena, I'm not his biggest fan but that is mostly due to his lame and corny jokes. Cena, in the PG era, can cut brilliant serious promos but his funny ones are generally dogshit. The problem is, that since he is mostly in a kayfabe happy position( winning titles and other accolades and so on, again I totally understand why that is the case) that most of his promos are not all that serious in nature. When he has his back to the wall when a heel gets the better of him a few times, he responds with a brilliant passionate promo and at those times I find myself rooting for him but when he talks about Alex Riley eating toilet paper, I do feel the urge to change the channel as well. The problem is, that the latter happens about 80% of the time with Cena and therefore I just do not feel like rooting for him most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back