• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Carmelo Anthony is officially a Knick

Baller

WZCW Veteran
The New York Knicks acquired Carmelo Anthony on Monday night, sources told ESPN The Magazine's senior writer Chris Broussard.

Completing the deal, Denver will get Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks' 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash while Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman will head to New York, according to the Denver Post.

Knicks Blog
Looking for more information on your Knicks? ESPNNewYork.com has you covered. Blog

Anthony wasn't at the Nuggets' practice on Monday night. Instead, the All-Star forward was in Burbank, Calif., taping a segment on "Conan."

Anthony, who has been the subject of intense speculation as Thursday's trade deadline approaches, stayed behind in Los Angeles following the NBA All-Star Game while his teammates gathered at the Pepsi Center.

Team spokesman Tim Gelt told The Associated Press that Anthony's absence was excused. Late Monday afternoon, Anthony tweeted: "Headed to Burbank to film THE CONAN SHOW."

Anthony has been the subject of trade talks ever since he declined to sign a three-year, $65 million extension with the Nuggets last summer. His biggest pursuers were the Knicks and New Jersey Nets.

espnnewyork.com

Finally the drama is over, and Melo is heading to the Garden. Not sure how much I like it for the Knicks, they gave up almost their entire team, and are apparently sending Curry and Randolph to Minnesota as well. They will sure be an exciting team to watch for a long time to come.

Thoughts?

From an offensive point of view this is a great move. The Knicks now have two of the top 5 scorers in the league right now, maybe even top 3. However, from a defensive perspective I worry. The Knicks already play little defense and I have a feeling that there defense is only going to be worse seeing as the Knicks traded a lot of guys and I don't know how well Melo will play defense now that he is on an offensive minded team. Though, I guess as long as they out score their opponents there won't be a problem. I also don't really like that the Knicks gave up Raymond Felton who has been an awesome player for them this year, but I guess they do keep some compensation in the form of Chauncey Billups. It will be interesting to see how the Knicks end up doing for the rest of the year now that they have finally gotten this deal over with.

As a HUGE Knick Fan I'm so Happy right NOW That we just got Carmelo Anthony, and I dont fell that we gave up to much in this trade. If you look at the players traded, Chandler mostly likely would not have been on the team next because they were not going to sign him to a new deal so that they could save cap for next Year, Felton for Billups is almost a wash but I would say that Felton is a bit better then Billups right now, Mosglov is a decent Center and Gallo is a Good Player but you have to give up Mosglov who they were reluctant to give up, You have to trade him to get a Player as Good as Carmello Anthony

There's pros and cons to the trade but overall I like the deal for the Knicks. Losing Chandler and Galinari seems like a lot but Melo plays the same position as them and is obviously a ton better then the two of them combined. Mozgov was a promising young big man but he really wasn't playing much at all so Shelden Williams can easily fill in the minutes gap and give them a decent big man defensively against teams like Orlando and Boston. Renaldo Balkman is a former Knick and a nice little pick up on the side as a throw away in the deal. He is easily a better defender then anyone on the Knicks roster pre or post trade and he will fit well in D'Antoni's system.

The one con I find is that the Knicks have no future at the point guard position. Raymond Felton was just 26 years old, having a career year, and fit in perfectly with the Knicks offense. Chauncey Billups right now is the better option because of his leadership abilities, veteran presence, and championship experience, however, he is 34 years old and on the down swing of his career. Anthony Carter who also came over from Denver and will probably be the third point guard is currently 35. They'll be fine now but they need to get someone for the future this off season because in a couple years they'll need them.

From Denver's perspective they got a few good young talents in Galinari and Chandler, a nice young big in Mozgov, some draft picks, and Felton. The Nuggets basically have two identical point guards now in Ty Lawson and Felton and it will be interesting to see how that plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if Felton became a little disgruntled because Denver will most likely go with Lawson as the starter.

I'm guessing from the Knicks we will be seeing a starting line up of Chauncey, Landry Fields, Melo, Ronny Turiaf, and Amare. Then they'll have a bench core of Toney Douglas, Bill Walker, Renaldo Balkman, Shawne Williams, and Shelden Williams. This move improves the Knicks not only offensively but also defensively. Chauncey is a better defender then Felton, Balkman is a better defender then Chandler, and Shelden Williams is a little better then Mozgov defensively. Plus the move puts Turiaf back in the starting lineup which makes them better defensively and bigger up front.

I think this is abit intresting, they gave up everything but Landry Fields, the best "pure rookie" this year. Not only that, they gave a way a lot of the future, with all those picks they got rid of. Carmelo and Amare' better bring a title or NY is going to riot ^^

I think it was a smart move by both teams, the Nuggets knew they had leverage, and used it to bend the Knicks over and fuck 'em, hard. The Knicks got one of the best (if not the best) pure scorers in the league, but they did give up a PG who was perfect for the system they run, and replaced him with a PG who doesn't really fit the system at all, and is also getting old....

Knicks should of definitely tried to get Ty Lawson instead of Billups, who will also probably be a bit pissed because he wanted to retire in Denver. But honestly, I think the Knicks are planning on either CP3 or Deron to jump ship when they become free agents, which isn't a terrible idea, it just leaves them a bit emptey handed this year. Still, the Amare/Melo duo will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come, especially when they re-aquire the depth they just gave up.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the Knicks get Corey Brewer from the Wolves for Randolph and Curry. He's a decent player, a top ten pick from 3 years ago. Gives them more depth on the bench at the guard position.

The big trade really does work out well for both teams. New York get's Melo after the long wait, and now have two big names they wanted since the summer. Of course people aren't gonna like the fact they gave up 3 starters, a prospect, and the 2 draft picks. They gain their superstar in Melo, get a very good veteran PG in Billups and some decent reserves. Big Sexy covered the whole Billups/Felton thing quite well, no need to touch on it. People also need to realize that the Knicks weren't gonna be able to re-sign the starters they let go in the trade anyways. Fields seems like he is gonna be a Knick for a while, so they need money to re-sign him. Chandler, Gallo, and Felton are gonna get some big money when they hit the market. The Knicks are setting up to land another big free agent within a year or two, once Billups contract is up, they will have some money freed up by then. All in all works out good for all teams involved. It will be interesting to see what Denver does with the players and draft picks they received.

but they did give up a PG who was perfect for the system they run, and replaced him with a PG who doesn't really fit the system at all, and is also getting old....

With his leadership abilities and championship experience I'd take Chauncey right now. Obviously in a year or two that will change but it's what they had to do to get Melo. Chauncey will be fine in this system for now. George Karl is an offensive minded coach and Chauncey thrived in Denver. He also thrived in his last few years in Detroit with Flip Saunders as the head coach.

Knicks should of definitely tried to get Ty Lawson instead of Billups, who will also probably be a bit pissed because he wanted to retire in Denver. But honestly, I think the Knicks are planning on either CP3 or Deron to jump ship when they become free agents, which isn't a terrible idea, it just leaves them a bit emptey handed this year. Still, the Amare/Melo duo will be a force to be reckoned with for years to come, especially when they re-aquire the depth they just gave up.

No way were the Nuggets going to give up Lawson. He is the guy they have labeled as the future point guard and leader of the team from day one. I'm sure the Knick asked and probably got laughed at in return. It sounds good in theory but it's something that wasn't going to happen.

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet, is that the Knicks get Corey Brewer from the Wolves for Randolph and Curry. He's a decent player, a top ten pick from 3 years ago. Gives them more depth on the bench at the guard position.

Brewer is in NY now but there's a good chance he will be dealt again before the trade deadline. There's a lot of interest from around the league for Brewer and the Knicks could easily get one of the draft picks they lost back. If Brewer does stay in NY he and Balkman will be competing for the backup 3 spot because I highly doubt D'Antoni will play both of them together as neither is that good offensively.

Billups/Carter
Fields/Douglas
Anthony/Brewer
Stoudemire/Turiaf/Williams (4-5)

Is a good 9-man rotation.

- Wilson Chandler is a product of D'Antoni's system. Average role player in my book.
- Felton was terrible in Charlotte and could be such outside of NYK. Billups could be an upgrade in production. Both expire just before Paul and Williams are available.
- Gallinari is not any kind of all-star in the making.
- Carmelo Anthony is a superstar by every definition of the word.

This was a wonderful trade for New York and I know that Denver wishes they could have made a deal with New Jersey instead. People are overreacting. New York just jacked a superstar from Denver. He's 95% of Kevin Durant at WORST and no one would question NY if this deal was for Durantula.

Good trade in my book. As a Knicks fan, you do not know how long I have been waiting and antpicating this trade finally.

I hate the fact, people who cannot deal with the fact The Knicks are a or close to an elite team. There is no "rape" whatsoever in this trade. Chandler wouldn't have been re-signed, Gallinari would be a RFA in 2013. No way we lost here.

The Roster is deeper. the only thing missing is a legit 7'0 which is Earl Barron, who we are expected to sign.

Billups/Douglas/Carter/Rautins
Fields/Azubuike/Walker/Mason Jr.
Melo/Brewer/Balkman
Amare/Shawne Williams
Turiaf/Sheldon Williams

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member