• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Canadians

sports_fan_2007

Occasional Pre-Show
Ok is just me or does it feel in the last 5 or 6 year that the canadian fan has gotten shafted a little bit.
I remember when Benoit, Jericho, Edge, Christian, and Trish were all in at the same time Canada would get a couple shows a year. We would get perhaps a PPV in Toronto or Montreal and than Raw would be in the other spot the next nite but than we would occasionaly get a show out in Edmonton and than Calgary. And WWE would come up north of the border more than once a year to do a Raw and Smackdown taping. Now I think of this now because we are set to host Breaking Point in september (which in my opinion will probably be one of the most boring PPVs all year since all matches will be under submission rules) but what can you do at least we get one.
I mean Canada has produced some of the best talents to go to the WWE. We have Brett and Owen, Jim Neidhart, Edge, Christian, Benoit, Jericho, Trish, Hart Dynasty, Test, Maryse, and I dont know what ever happend to them but we als had La Resistance. We also gave the comedic Santino Marella.

So I guess my little rant is about us Canucks only getting a week of shows a year when in the past we use to get 2 raws a year. Im a huge wrestling fan but I just wish the WWE would come north a little more often.

Try being a Filipino fan in any form of Sports and / or Entertainment. It’s so bad for us that my favorite Superstar of all time is Canadian. Batista is cool, but come on. He’s basically a civilized version of the Ultimate Warrior, and that’s pretty bad in itself. #@#@!!

As far as wrestlers go, we do have some of the best in the WWE as of right now. Christian is ECW Champion, Edge is always in the running, Maryse is in the main event for Divas, and the Hart foundation seems to be on the rise in the WWE.

As for events coming to Canada, you are right, there have been a lot less. Ever since the Chris Benoit tragedy, the WWE has stayed out of Western Canada for the most part. The canceled a tour here right after the event, and the best we have gotten are two house shows in Victoria and Vancouver for British Columbia. Also, Vancouver's best arena has barred the WWE after an incident happened there, so they have to do shows at the Pacific Colosseum instead of GM Place.

Heck, TNA ventured a little further inland lately, having house shows across Western Canada. WCW did pay per views in Vancouver, but WWE never has in my recent memories. Backlash was in Edmonton in 2004 I believe, and that is the last pay per view over here.

Things aren't that bad here in the 'Peg. We get a show once or twice a year and the quality of the card is usually great. Jericho and Cena had a PPV quality match for the World title and the crowd was just booing Cena out of the building. I could see Jericho laughing in the ring before the match started as Cena just kinda shrugged.

Sad to hear you aren't getting many shows out your way, TM.

Im originally from London Ontario, and I used to go to shows in Toronto and London every year. 2 House Shows, 3 Raws, 2 Smackdowns, 1 ECW, Wrestlemania 18, Summerslam 2004, Unforgiven 2006, and Royal Rumble 2008 (in NYC) That's 11 events in the last 8 years or so roughly. I moved to Edmonton about 2 years ago, and there hasnt been anything here until now. I always thought it was because of the Benoit thing cuz the shows for Calgary/Edmonton were cancelled when that happend. So now WWE is finally coming back out here. I am going to Smackdown/ECW in Edmonton, still undecided on the Raw in Calgary.

But I dont see why Vancouver doesnt get a Raw or Smackdown sometime, or Winnipeg, or even somewhere out east, like Halifax or something.

Ill be honest I didnt hear about the shows they were having in Alberta. Do you know when they are goin to be because im goin to be out that way during august and Id love to go to one. But yeah since the benoit thing happened canada hasnt really gotten as many ppvs. Maybe im just a little greedy and love WWE as when I was in Ontario I would go to Quebec for the shows...Toronto and the house shows in Hamilton and have gone done to NY for RR and for a couple Raws at MSG (best arena anywhere to see WWE in my opinion)

I'd say its a lot of trouble for the WWE to cross the boarder into Canada. You always hear of some star having troubles getting in, everytime a company goes. If I'm not mistaken (I really don't feel like going through the WZ headline archives) Jeff Hardy had a problem getting into Canada the last time the WWE had tour. As well as Tomko had trouble when TNA went up into Canada. The WWE may just be thinking its more of a hassel than its worth. They've allready secured the Canadian fans for the most part, they need to work on the Latin American countries, and Europe a little bit more.

From my understanding, with the change of the name "Great American Bash" into "The Bash" was because the WWE is trying to become more global oriented. If this is so, the WWE is probably trying to stretch its boarders further along Europe, further South. Maybe Southern Africa is in their hopes, and large parts of Asia would be great too. The global dominance over the Wrestling world is in the WWE's reach. Canada, and America are allready eating out of their hands, its time to work on other places. Theres more important places to work than Canada. America still gets shittons over shows, because the WWE is head quartered here in the States, and they don't have to go through massive troubles to get passports into other Countries.

Ill be honest I didnt hear about the shows they were having in Alberta. Do you know when they are goin to be because im goin to be out that way during august and Id love to go to one. But yeah since the benoit thing happened canada hasnt really gotten as many ppvs. Maybe im just a little greedy and love WWE as when I was in Ontario I would go to Quebec for the shows...Toronto and the house shows in Hamilton and have gone done to NY for RR and for a couple Raws at MSG (best arena anywhere to see WWE in my opinion)

August 10th Raw is in Calgary, AB
August 10th Smackdown/ECW House Show in Red Deer, AB
August 11th Smackdown/ECW Tapings are in Edmonton, AB

I'm from the UK and I'm just happy that we get 2 Raw tapings, 2 Smackdown tapings and now 2 ECW tapings a year. Until this year I have been to all of the Raw ones. By the sounds of it, Western Canada have less than us Brits which is shocking honestly. Western Canada (well Canada in general) is where all the best wrestlers have come from (in my opinion) - Bret Hart, Owen Hart, Jericho, Benoit, Edge, Christian, Lance Storm etc and its a great shame you guys dont get to see more action your way. To reitterate Milkyway's post, I also have heard stories about wrestlers trying to cross the border and how much grief they get. Mind you, you guys do get the occasional PPV - our last official one was Summerslam 92 in Wembley Stadium - true, possibly the best technical bout of all time on the card in Bret v Bulldog but still, to newer fans that is ancient history. We have some huge arenas over here that would easily sell out if the WWE brought the Rumble or another Summerslam over, but with our weather it had better be a stadium with a closed roof! Millennium Stadium in Cardiff (Wales) can fit about 100,000, would be awesome atmosphere with the roof shut!

I totally agree with you sports_fan. Living in Calgary we were guaranteed at least 1 show a year whether it was a House Show, Raw, or even that 1 PPV we had, there was always at least 1 show a year here, at LEAST. The only time there was a bit of a gap was when Owen Hart died (which is totally understandable, but that gap was less than a year). It has been 3 years since the WWE has came anywhere close to Calgary (after the Benoit incident, they cancelled the Raw that was happening a month later, said they would make it up, but over 2 years later, NOTHING) and compared to what were used to, I would say that we are totally getting shafted (not as much as other regions/countries, but at the same time Calgary has always been a hotbed for wrestling so it seems kind of odd that we haven't had a single show in over 3 years, even with the Benoit tragedy).

Oh well, that PG BS that is currently going on in the WWE wouldn't fly to well over here (not speaking for every fan, but we Calgarians definitely more picky when it comes to our wrestling, now that I think of it, I don't know anyone who watches the WWE anymore. Maybe its smart they're not coming here.)

I totally agree with you sports_fan. Living in Calgary we were guaranteed at least 1 show a year whether it was a House Show, Raw, or even that 1 PPV we had, there was always at least 1 show a year here, at LEAST. The only time there was a bit of a gap was when Owen Hart died (which is totally understandable, but that gap was less than a year). It has been 3 years since the WWE has came anywhere close to Calgary (after the Benoit incident, they cancelled the Raw that was happening a month later, said they would make it up, but over 2 years later, NOTHING) and compared to what were used to, I would say that we are totally getting shafted (not as much as other regions/countries, but at the same time Calgary has always been a hotbed for wrestling so it seems kind of odd that we haven't had a single show in over 3 years, even with the Benoit tragedy).

Oh well, that PG BS that is currently going on in the WWE wouldn't fly to well over here (not speaking for every fan, but we Calgarians definitely more picky when it comes to our wrestling, now that I think of it, I don't know anyone who watches the WWE anymore. Maybe its smart they're not coming here.)

Incase you missed it, Raw is in Calgary Aug 10, and Smackdown/ECW in Edmonton Aug 11. So in a couple of weeks

I'd say its a lot of trouble for the WWE to cross the boarder into Canada. You always hear of some star having troubles getting in, everytime a company goes. If I'm not mistaken (I really don't feel like going through the WZ headline archives) Jeff Hardy had a problem getting into Canada the last time the WWE had tour. As well as Tomko had trouble when TNA went up into Canada. The WWE may just be thinking its more of a hassel than its worth. They've allready secured the Canadian fans for the most part, they need to work on the Latin American countries, and Europe a little bit more.

From my understanding, with the change of the name "Great American Bash" into "The Bash" was because the WWE is trying to become more global oriented. If this is so, the WWE is probably trying to stretch its boarders further along Europe, further South. Maybe Southern Africa is in their hopes, and large parts of Asia would be great too. The global dominance over the Wrestling world is in the WWE's reach. Canada, and America are allready eating out of their hands, its time to work on other places. Theres more important places to work than Canada. America still gets shittons over shows, because the WWE is head quartered here in the States, and they don't have to go through massive troubles to get passports into other Countries.

I went to 3 show TV events and 1 house show in Ontario in the last year, the first time Jeff was still suspended and I went to RAW/Smackdown in Toronto right before x-mas and again in Cornwall in Febuary and Jeff Hardy was at both of those.

Anyways, I feel WWE has screwed us canada over latley, last may I went on the on

the ontario tour was last may and around the same time I kind of expected another 1 this year and then Buffalo gets the show and now I am going to the 4 shows in Canada in september and I hope they will give us something good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back