Can Storm Become TNA's First Global Star?

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
aB4o.jpeg

Look, look at that. Jesus among his people.

TNA is looking on the up and up at the moment and I would attribute it to making their own star philosophy that they have at the moment. But if TNA does extremely well over the next year, do you think James Storm will the torch-bearer.

I have been so wildly impressed by the recent years of Cowboy James Storm. He is taking this redneck character. Added his own alcohol laced twists and made it a very color and entertaining persona to watch. The whole break up of Beer Money and the subsequent angle made Storm a good people's hero and I call him having this under the radar popular explosion waiting to happen, when he is champion next. They have been building towards to the final encounter between the two and I still think they will stretch it to the next BFG, or will try. Or maybe not (there should be a poll).

But now if TNA gets shinier days do you think their next top babyface in James Storm can stand up and be their face to the world?

I have an inkling you didn't mean to post this in the WrestleMania 28 section. I don't know - maybe you're trying to galvanise the WWE fans, trying to ruffle some feathers and rattle some cages. Ballsy.

I love James Storm. In fact, search 'James Storm' in my post history and I think you'll find a long history of nut-hugging and taint-licking. I'm not even sure what a taint is. I had him earmarked as world champion material before there even was a Beer Money. Aren't I great? "He's just a Steve Austin rip-off," they said. "Come again?" I said.

If the question you're asking me is, "Can James Storm catapult TNA into being a global powerhouse a la WWE?" then no, I don't think he can. I don't see him, or anyone on the roster, exploding that big, regardless of how good they are.

If you're asking me, "Could James Storm be the face of a hypothetical TNA powerhouse, which he doesn't necessarily have a hand in establishing?" then sure, why not? That's quite the hypothetical though.

I have an inkling you didn't mean to post this in the WrestleMania 28 section. I don't know - maybe you're trying to galvanise the WWE fans, trying to ruffle some feathers and rattle some cages. Ballsy.

I love James Storm. In fact, search 'James Storm' in my post history and I think you'll find a long history of nut-hugging and taint-licking. I'm not even sure what a taint is. I had him earmarked as world champion material before there even was a Beer Money. Aren't I great? "He's just a Steve Austin rip-off," they said. "Come again?" I said.

If the question you're asking me is, "Can James Storm catapult TNA into being a global powerhouse a la WWE?" then no, I don't think he can. I don't see him, or anyone on the roster, exploding that big, regardless of how good they are.

If you're asking me, "Could James Storm be the face of a hypothetical TNA powerhouse, which he doesn't necessarily have a hand in establishing?" then sure, why not? That's quite the hypothetical though.

Um what do I do?

Do I keep posting and it gets moved?

Sorry for this.

Sammy, first of all James Storm won't entirely catapault TNA to superdom. It will take his and other wrestlers work and then that gradual progress. But if it reaches there, do you think he could be a guy who would carry the company and be IMPACT's beacon? He really won't be able to do it single-handedly. Surely not.

But I have become a big fan of James Storm, and do think he can play that lead role.

Very hypothetical I get this, but not quite WPC.

I expect a moderator will be along shortly with a forklift and a head of luxurious blonde hair to move the thread to its correct place. They'll probably give off a mysterious golden hue as they do so. It's quite something to behold.

I'm not sure any combination of wrestlers will launch TNA to superstardom. The set they have at the top now - Roode, Storm, Hardy, Sting, Ray - are pretty much top notch, if perhaps not the most marketable motley crew there ever was. The issue of why TNA isn't bigger than it is - and, admittedly, it has exhibited slow and steady growth in its ten years of existence - is beyond the wrestlers. But that's all been discussed to death.

As for this 'Face of TNA' business, I've got an axe to grind. Whenever they compete for pops, even in the Impact Zone where everybody is over, Jeff Hardy seems to outdo James Storm. I'm not bitter about Jeff Hardy being popular, and I'll gladly give him fourth, fifth and sixth chances, I'd just rather it not be at the expense of James Storm. Jeff's just there, like a stubborn stain you can't get rid of. TNA isn't the sort of company where there's one superface and that's it for the next eight years, but it seems Jeff is still comfortably one rung above James.

Well, except in Tennessee.

I expect a moderator will be along shortly with a forklift and a head of luxurious blonde hair to move the thread to its correct place. They'll probably give off a mysterious golden hue as they do so. It's quite something to behold.

We actually don't use forklifts anymore. Now it's all about sacred magical abilities but they do give off golden hue's when us mods use one of of powers. Except for infracting, which gives off a red hue. This topic has been moved and officially become a part of the TNA wrestling discussion. ;)

Anyways, so let's get back on topic. Storm could potentially become TNA's first global star. I don't think it will happen, but the potential is certainly there. He has better odds than other guys they have tried to push into the #1 spot in the past such as Samoa Joe or Abyss. I think he'd make a better top guy than Roode but they have to book him properly and booking things properly is NOT one of this federation's strong suits. If they tried to give Storm a Stone Cold Steve Austin type of push, he COULD be a huge star worldwide. However, it will not work right without the proper booking. This is why it failed when they tried to make AJ Styles into their John Cena (and later on their Ric Flair) so they have GOT to fix their booking issues because that is a big part of why they are not taken seriously.

Blonde hair? Guess KB's sleeping, Hey Becca! (There goes the fourth wall)

Also this could all be in rouge to get Dagger to make a TNA post. Why? Amusement is strange.

Yes, by god James Storm! James Storm has a look. I mean he has a certain rootability sparkle that just emenates from the man's breath. I suspect Hardy will always be a little more popular, all I think is Storm would be a good torch-bearer for the future. I know he isn't teenager pin-up boy age, but still someone who can represent.

Not to long ago I was saying that Bobby Roode will lead TNA into the future. But now, James Storm is stepping up to the plate. I think Robert can be the lead Heel and Storm can be lead Babyface. If they continue to work together in a since of Heel and Face then TNA is bound for glory (no pun intended) sooner or later.

Not for nothing, but he already is a global star. So are a number of TNA's "originals" like Styles, Roode and even Abyss. These guys are all well known outside of the U.S., especially in Japan and in Europe (the U.K. especially).

But if you are asking me if Storm can be "the guy" for TNA, the answer is unequivocally yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Fact is, Storm has one thing going for him that most others do not — a character that is easily bought into by the majority of wrestling fans. There's a reason Austin was so well-liked and it wasn't just because he rebelled against his boss. It's because he was a blue collar, beer drinking, hell raising fighter — something millions of fans can relate to with ease. Storm may seem an Austin-clone (of sorts) to some, or even an HBK-clone (to others), but regardless he has history on his side, and history denotes that "cowboys" (for the sake of this argument, let's just call them that) tend to get over with relative ease if they guy playing one knows how to do so well. Jimmy Wang Yang? Meh. Bradshaw? Yup.

Factor in that TNA is a southern-based promotion HQ'd in Nashville, Tennessee and you'v got the perfect recipe for success IMO.

I think the recent Impacts in England showed that TNA has many 'global' stars. The promotion does incredible business overseas as opposed to state side.

I'm not sure James Storm is going to be that guy that really represents the company on a global scale though. His character is something that really identifies better with American fans more than international, IMO. It is also hard for someone like him to really stand out, when you have someone perhaps a bit more rounded like Roode, or a guy like AJ Styles. Plus, when you throw in already established and legit global stars like Kurt Angle and Sting, there may not be any one TNA wrestler currently equipped to eclipse their standings in the eyes of fans world wide.

I think Storm can be a major player for TNA and pushed as a top if not the top babyface for the near future. I'm not convinced he can become a "Global Star." I think he can become a crossover star especially in the country music sector.

I've noticed some saying he is TNA Austin. I've seen some say Roode is TNA's HHH. If you are making that comparison then who would be TNA's Rock? Who arguably was the most important component of WWE's success.

Blonde hair? Guess KB's sleeping, Hey Becca! (There goes the fourth wall)

Also this could all be in rouge to get Dagger to make a TNA post. Why? Amusement is strange.

My avatar is blonde. Pretty sure it meant me. ;) I do post TNA, just not as often as I used to. I have had to rely on reviews at other sites for the past couple of weeks and watching footage online. My wife has three different shows that ALL are on at the same time as Impact and our DVR will not record all four at once. There's no way in hell I'd sacrifice Raw or Smackdown, so Impact had to take one for the team. Once her shows end for the season I'll be able to watch it live again and my activity in this section should pick up.

Anyways. To once again get us back on track....

Storm's character is great. He would do quite well as TNA's counterpart to the legendary Stone Cold like I said in my last post. The blue collar hell-raiser is something that is very easy to relate to and they could even have him start confronting Bischoff more. I'm sure some will whine saying "it's a ripoff of Austin/McMahon, but if it helps TNA become more popular then I would be all for the angle. Storm/Bischoff could be a good feud and something I'd like to see. It might even help that atrocious "Immortal" group become relevant if they are the constant thorn in Storm's side. They need a guy at the top who can help them get more mainstream and James Storm is the man for the job. TNA has a perfect opportunity to begin his run at the top at Lockdown if he defeats his former ally Roode.

He doesn't have to be a total ripoff of Austin but the similarities are there and, more important, so is the potential. Push him to the top, BOOK HIM PROPERLY, and we may start seeing some awesome things from TNA. I hope to see it happen due to how they just need that little spark to really get to where they would like to be. So why not give Storm that shot? If he fails they can always take the belt off him and have someone else try, although I don't know who would really do as well in becoming a global star as Storm. Only time can tell.

I LOVE James Storm. He is one of the reasons (along with Roode, Aries and a few others) that TNA has become pretty much MUST SEE TV for wrestling fans.

I don't know about a "global scale" because I don't know if anyone in TNA has that power right now (and it should take quite a few years for it to even be possible.) But I am definitely a believer in Storm being in the World Title mix for years to come.

I was shocked when the pulled the rug out from under us and gave him the title in order to basically turn Roode heel. I thought, "Storm ... really?" But he continually proves to be one of the most must-watch guys on the brand.

He has the look. The attitude. The catch-phrase. The work ethic. And the charisma to be a top dog in this business for years to come.

I dont think it should be limited to top babyface. I think Storm has the ability to be TNA's top guy, face or heel. He is a good all round performer, and would have mass appeal to many in the southern USA. If he is given the ball, im sure he will run with it.

I really like Storm, as many have said he has charisma, a big personality and is a character that everyone can relate and empathise with, a massive factor in getting over. I think he definently has a long-term future as one of the top guys in TNA. I'm not sure about the whole face of the company thing however, in my opinion that is far more likely to be Bobby Roode, who I believe has the absolute full package. Storm can definently be up there as a leading light next to him and who knows prhaps their rivalry can be one which defines an era of increased fortunes for TNA much like Rock/Austin did for the WWE, even if it is on a lesser scale.

Now I have to play Keanu Reeves here? fine.

I think what can hold back Storm is that he isn't exciting enough in the ring. I'll tell you something, Austin became this huge deal because of his run-ins and segments with Vince and the authoritays. Because even after he broke his neck he would come and cause mayhem. His matches became kinda secondary, especially after his neck injury. What instead we wax lyrical most about are the Beer-Bash, Zamboni 3:16, tossing Rocky's belt, killing DX's bus etc etc. I'm not saying he had bad matches, by god, at the tail end of the AE, him and Rocky tore the house down at WM X7.

Similarly with Sting, his exit-stage-below from the rafters was great. His segments against nWo were great. His matches, meh not so much. I think the ones I enjoyed were against Goldberg and Bret. Really can't think of other.

So you see what these men lacked in performance, they made up in persona and package presentation (no not the Cena boner!). I can remember Storm vs Roode as a good match, but I attribute more to Roode there because he had to tell a story in the ring. He had to bring across 'how he would do anything to win', which he did. Storm is a good face, but is maybe too old school. You can be methodical, have good psychology and still have a fast paced match, I think Randy's shown us that.

Hello? My username? One of the main reasons I continued to watch TNA even through these last few years has been because of James Storm. His ring work is great and his character has grown into something that's amazing to watch. He has definetely established himself and made sure he'll be around TNA for awhile. As for the original question, yes, I do believe Storm could be TNA's first global star. He seems to have a great connection with fans and can work a crowd and also tell a story. A lost art in wrestling and entertainment these days. The main problem with Storm becoming a "global star" is that TNA still hasn't established themselves entirely yet. No defining identity or the network solidly behind them. Once they start making a new identity for themselves, get a network that's truly behind them, and keep rising stars on top without keeping former WWE/WCW/ECW rejects in the main events, TNA could well be on their way. And I'm sure Storm will be among the new generation stars that will help create that new identity that TNA so desperately needs to become a legit wrestling company that can even begin to challenge WWE. Until then, Storm will just be another great talent being wasted in Orlando only........

As others have pointed out, Storm has the potential to be the first real mega star TNA has produced. Storm has the potential both in the ring and on the mic to be a major player in TNA for the long haul but there has to be a shift in TNA's current booking.

When Roode won the title and embarked on his brief feud with Storm, it was interesting and Storm was being built up really well. However, throughout 2012, Storm has lost substantial heat as he's been constantly booked to play second fiddle to Sting & Jeff Hardy. They're seen as the top two babyfaces on the roster because TNA has booked them that way. Storm, at this point in time, is a better overall wrestler in my opinion than either Sting or Hardy, but the TNA brass has demonstrated more faith in Sting and Hardy. Instead of keeping Storm at the hot level he was several months back, he's lost a lot of steam. He won't get it back until/unless TNA decides to firmly get behind him because he's doesn't look like he's on the same level as Sting or Hardy at this point.

In order for that to happen, two things need to happen:

1) Give Storm a real run at the top. You can't have him get screwed or have a 1 month reign. The guy needs to be champion for a few months at least and he needs to be able to walk around with that thing off screen.

2) Let him go out of character in media appearances. I'll be honest, as of now Storm can NOT be a global star based on how he's portrayed. He's actually "too southern" and there are those who don't like the hardcore redneck thing. Thus, when he appears on talk shows, interviews, etc, let him be him but not an over-exaggerated version of him. He can talk about things other than drinking and being a redneck. Doing so might make mainstream people like the guy as he's likeable to begin with.

The key is to let him be global, but first national. Put him out there with the title on his shoulder. Book him for major media appearances and the like. Trust that he can do that for your company. If you do that, I think he's charismatic enough to get people interested in what he and the company does. Thus, it's not on Storm to become a global star, it's on TNA. If they market him right, he might be able to do that. If not, he'll be just another guy who may or may not win the world title and more likely, a guy who wins that makes way for another EVIL force to hold the title.

I like Storm, he's a great wrestler but he just doesn't have the look, the style, to be a mainstream Global star. He's too fat, sounds corny on the mic. I hate Jeff Hardy but he has more of that "IT" factor to the a top babyface for a wrestling company. It's the whole demeanor. More I think about it, more I think Storm was just perfect in tag teams, raising Hell in wild brawls with whatever partner he had be it Chris Harris or Bobby Roode. (I must say though that his run in single with Miss Jackie as Valet wasn't bad but maybe that's because he was better and more confortable as a hell raiser heel?)

How do you define "global star"? I'd like to answer your post, but I can't come up with a satisfactory definition for that.

A name known to professional wrestling fans around the world? Already there.

The top figure above the biggest company in professional wrestling? TNA/IW won't ever be able to provide that. (Sorry, folks. Absent horrible mismanagement on the part of the WWE, I don't see how TNA/IW can grow at this point to rival the WWE. Don't give me this talk about TNA's international 'success', which comes down to heavy promotion in the UK, a hot startup in India, and an international tour where gate receipts are never, ever discussed.)

Could James Storm be the figure to lead an era of extreme growth in TNA/IW? Nope. He can hold the top of the mountain, but he doesn't have an attitude that builds a cult of personality. There's nothing about James Storm that makes you want to grab your non-TNA/IW watching buddy and say "hey, check this shit out". He's a really good professional wrestler, but he's not a once-in-a-generation legend that can fill a house by himself. That's not to say he can't be the lead figure during an era of growth, but it's not going to be just because of James Storm.

James has a chance to be a huge american star. They need to work the south like crazy. the WWE still doesn't seem to be well recieved in the old "rasslin" territories. If I'm TNA, I'm working the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, etc. that's where TNA will thrive. Bunch of drunk ass rednecks? Perfect.

I donno about global star, he doesn't have a universal appeal. He definately appeals to people who listen to country music though. Shit, you could write a country music song about his character.

For all those who say Storm is "too Southern" to be a 'global star', remember a guy named Stone Cold Steve Austin? He was pretty southern as well and he reached global status. It's not about any of that. It's about connecting with the audience. Storm is great at it. Besides, the moment you start trying to change is the moment you loose that connection to the audience. Storm is who he is and that'll win people over who are watching for talent and not stereotypes.

I don't know, it's just IMO he doesn't have "the look". He looks out of shape. Unless that's something uncontrolable, he needs to work on that A.S.A.P. Also, from what I've seen of him, he's seems one-dimensional. All he talked about was beer and something else that I can't remember.

For all those who say Storm is "too Southern" to be a 'global star', remember a guy named Stone Cold Steve Austin? He was pretty southern as well and he reached global status. It's not about any of that. It's about connecting with the audience. Storm is great at it. Besides, the moment you start trying to change is the moment you loose that connection to the audience. Storm is who he is and that'll win people over who are watching for talent and not stereotypes.
Nirvana sold a lot of records in the early 1990s, I doubt if you pattern yourself directly after them that it'd work. Markets change. It's not that Austin was southern that got him over. If that were the case, then the NWA would have destroyed the WWF.

Austin got over because he was a voice for the working man and was incredible at the character. He transcended his character because people saw the core of it. I don't get that with Storm.

As for the guy talking about his physique, I think that's more of an appeal (unless it gets out of hand). Austin never really looked like a super athlete. He always looked fit, but more like a build you'd see a carpenter have, especially later on.

Nirvana sold a lot of records in the early 1990s, I doubt if you pattern yourself directly after them that it'd work. Markets change. It's not that Austin was southern that got him over. If that were the case, then the NWA would have destroyed the WWF.

Yeah, alot of groups tried imitating Nirvana and it never worked. I wasn't particularly focusing on the fact that Austin was southern to "get over". What I was sayin' was that Austin happened to be a southern sounding guy who didn't change who he was to become successful. As for the NWA thing, that's abit harsh, wouldn't ya say? Besides, that really didn't matter because the WRESTLING product was great. Again, you cannot stereotype quality.

Austin got over because he was a voice for the working man and was incredible at the character. He transcended his character because people saw the core of it. I don't get that with Storm.

I'll agree with most of that. Austin was the blue collar worker who stood up to his boss. That was alot of his character and what made him great. He also happened to be playing something closer to himself in real life. Which is also what people paid to see. While Storm isn't quite on the same level with Austin, he has that potential.

As for the guy talking about his physique, I think that's more of an appeal (unless it gets out of hand). Austin never really looked like a super athlete. He always looked fit, but more like a build you'd see a carpenter have, especially later on.

Agreed. Physique doesn't have alot to do with success. If it were, guys like Rikishi[somewhat], Yokozuna, and Samoa Joe would never have been used on television. I judge based on merit and talent. Storm is a great ring worker who is good on the mic and connects with the audience based on being himself. And while I'm sure there are those who don't like him, that's their choice. I'm basing my opinion on the times I've been to live events and TNA PPVs and the one time I met Storm. He's a really fan interactive guy who seems to really like his fans. He's also not trying to be a character he's not. Which I applaud because alot of wrestlers do that and most fans see through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back