Calling All Writers: Graffiti and Graffiti Culture

Barbedwire Ropes

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
The reason why im starting this thread is to see if there are any other Graffiti Writers here in the Wresltezone Forums and to discuss things like name meanings, technique, black-books, materials, experiences, legal walls...all that sort of stuff and everything inbetween.

I have been a writer now for about 4 years and I can still remember back in time, before I started to understand this urban art form. I would look around at all the graffiti art in and around my city and I just never understood why people were doing it in the first place. Then one day, I found out through a friend that the same poeple who do the simple "tag" (the things that look like Scribbles to a lot of people) were the same ones doing "bombs" (those giant murals in places like Skateparks and Alleys). I was instantly interested and hooked and I havent looked back since. I feel that I've come along way and have moved on past the "toy" phase of things, but Im still yearing to learn more and to do better peices each and every day.

So, now that tagging season has come to an unofficial end lets have all the writers come indoors for the winter months and use this thread for discussion. Or, am I the only one in the forums who participates in this important cultural urban artform?

Get In. Get Up. Get Out.

One, the tagging season is far from over. Winter is when it begins.

Two, I'm into grafitti, but I haven't actually put anything up around the city yet. I've just been sketching, I don't really like tagging (it makes the neighborhood look shitty, and to people who don't understand, it looks gang-related), but I've been wanting to put up some pieces for awhile. Hopefully I will get to soon.

Well, I certainley do not know how winter marks the beginning of tagging season. Could you eloborate more on that? Because right now, everything is covered in frost to the point where the only thing to write with that really works is Oil Pastels and I hate the smell of those things and they can really mess up your clothes. Unless youre talking about indoors, like Buses and Trains and stuff like that....then that shit never ends.

The tag is very important though to your status as a graffiti artist. Its alot harder, riskier and time consuming to get up a really nice peice or even a simple "throw up" for that matter. The tag is how you'll get recognized. Its easier and much faster to do, unless you have a real eloborate standard tag.

I dont know where youre from, but I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada which is also home to one of the world's best Graff Crews in SDK, The Stompdown Killaz. They even have thier own clothing line now and an internationally acclaimed website featuring their artistic talents. http://www.stompdown.ca So the tag is very important when it comes to getting noticed by the better writers in your area who can potentially teach you the skills to get up a wicked good peice.

Barbedwire, you're one cool dude.

I am an artist. I have been stagnant now for a while in creating cool art in my opinion, art that lives up to my impossibly high personal standards. I still do portraits and stuff for my family and friends, as well as tattoo designs...but nothing really is satisfying me, and it's really fucking hard to get inspired to create new works of art.

I have long been a fan of graffiti, especially the more elaborate pieces that are definite works of art. I hate that you guys get stuck with the stigma that all graffiti is "gang-related." I have always considered it to be awesome. So basically, perhaps this would be a great creative outlet for me.

Enlighten me, if you would, about the materials used, the best places to look for etc. if you don't mind. I am definitely intrigued.

Barbedwire, you're one cool dude.

Enlighten me, if you would, about the materials used, the best places to look for etc. if you don't mind. I am definitely intrigued.

Sorry, I just had to quote that first part! Thank you very much!

So now onto your questions:
The materials used have such a wide range. Of course, there are the standard, must-haves like Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Markers. There are a hundred thousand different brands of paint markers so anything is good really, it all depends on what you prefer. The only thing I dont recommend is Water-Based paint markers, since most of those things can be washed away in a flash, even by rain. So as far as paint markers are concerned, anything alchohol based, oil based or real-paint industrial pens are the way to go and they really help on getting you started. If you dont have a shop in your area that specializes in graffiti supplies (usually doubles as a Skate Shop) then all Staples locations carry a paint pen 5 pack that is good for starting out, but do try to seek out the better variety. For Spray Paint it all depends on what your doing. You can use cheap shitty paint from Wal-Mart like Rust-O-Leum or Krylon for simple throw-ups but when your doing big eloborate peices you want to go with Graffiti specific paints like any series of Montana, Molotow or Belton. Montana features a different custom system of caps as well, so you can get many different sizes for your lines.

Then there are the more unconvetional materials like Blank Stickers - to write your tag on and "slap" them up in high traffic areas, Mop Markers, Squeeze Markers, White Out Pens, Oil Pastels and even Hydrochloric Acid, which is used to etch your tag into windows and is a permanent tag. They literally have to replace the entire window or simply leave it there. But that shit is dangerous to handle and I personally do not use it and I also know many other writers to choose not to as well. Its really anything you can make or find. The only things that are widely looked down upon are Bingo Dabbers and Sharpies, unless its the huge fat ass Sharpie Magnum which has some decent uses on certain surfaces.

I would check out the websites http://www.bombingscience.com as well as http://www.montana-cans.com and the previuosly mentioned http://www.stompdown.ca for detailed information.

But, what did you mean by the best places to look?

But, what did you mean by the best places to look?

I was just wondering where you would choose to throw up your tag or create something bigger, especially the more elaborate designs. And plus, those sites were very helpful. Had fun checking out the galleries of bombings at Bombing science, especially those from around my area in Austin and San Antonio, TX. Pretty sweeeeet.

Well, I certainley do not know how winter marks the beginning of tagging season. Could you eloborate more on that? Because right now, everything is covered in frost to the point where the only thing to write with that really works is Oil Pastels and I hate the smell of those things and they can really mess up your clothes. Unless youre talking about indoors, like Buses and Trains and stuff like that....then that shit never ends.
I guess I was referring more to grafitti in general, since now you can go out and it's dark and there's not a lot of people around. But yeah, I suppose the tagging season is over, which is cool with me.

The tag is very important though to your status as a graffiti artist. Its alot harder, riskier and time consuming to get up a really nice peice or even a simple "throw up" for that matter. The tag is how you'll get recognized. Its easier and much faster to do, unless you have a real eloborate standard tag.
I understand that, but I still don't like it. When I start getting up, I'll throw up a tag here and there, but there's two things about tagging that piss me off. One, people that hit every sign/bus-stop/etc. within a very small area, because they think it means they got ups. Two, like I said before, I just think it makes the neighborhood look trashy. I'll throw up a tag like somewhere by a bridge, but not on stop-signs and shit like that.

I dont know where youre from, but I live in Surrey, British Columbia, Canada which is also home to one of the world's best Graff Crews in SDK, The Stompdown Killaz. They even have thier own clothing line now and an internationally acclaimed website featuring their artistic talents. http://www.stompdown.ca So the tag is very important when it comes to getting noticed by the better writers in your area who can potentially teach you the skills to get up a wicked good peice.
I'm from Minneapolis, and I'm being schooled by a friend of mine. I don't know if you've heard of Pears from Minneapolis, but that's my home-boy.

I was just wondering where you would choose to throw up your tag or create something bigger, especially the more elaborate designs. And plus, those sites were very helpful. Had fun checking out the galleries of bombings at Bombing science, especially those from around my area in Austin and San Antonio, TX. Pretty sweeeeet.

Well, that really depends on your skill level I think. The main things you want to take into consideration are
A)LOCATION: Will people see it? If so, who? How many?
B)RISK FACTOR: How high are you chances of getting caught or chased off?
C)DIFFICULTY: How difficult is your peice? What do you need to bring/carry?
D)HISTORY: Have other people bombed there before? Who?
E)TIME PT.1: How long will it take you to do your peice?
F)TIME PT.2: How long will it stay up for?

If its a spot where its most likely going to be removed within 24 hours, dont bother wasting your paint doing an elaborate peice, I've made that mistake once and lost almost $65 worth of paint in the process. In a situation like that a simple throw-up should do. Unless if during the day its a mega high traffic area, then the choice is yours to make. The best places to do peices are what they call "heavens", which are peices that are done really high up on billboards, bridges, rooftops and water towers. Even if your peice is total shit, you will still get a tonne of respect for hitting up heaven. Good places to start out and practice are in tunnels, on abandoned buildings and if your city has "legal walls" then for sure hit those up. In the end, you just gotta really go with your gut and rely on your instincts. If for one second you feel like its not worth it, then its not. I've gone against my instincts before and I almost got caught each time.

things about tagging that piss me off. One, people that hit every sign/bus-stop/etc. within a very small area, because they think it means they got ups.
Yeah, well there are two potentiall explanations for those people. A)They are young "toy" writers that think they are the most pimp shit ever or B)They are real writers who went on a thing called a "blitz", where they hit every available blank surface within, usually, a one block radius. I've done a few of those before, but usually is places I've travelled to. It depends on who it is really.

I'm from Minneapolis, and I'm being schooled by a friend of mine. I don't know if you've heard of Pears from Minneapolis, but that's my home-boy.
No, I havent seen any of his stuff yet, but mind you I've only been there once and it wasnt strictly for graffiti purposes. Next time im there I'll keep an eye out. But I met a Minneapolis king by the name of Moose. That guy is insane.

Wow man, very informative. I am intrigued. The realization that I can do this is becoming more and more apparent to me. I've been half-ass brainstorming designs and scouting potential locations just in case I make up my mind. SA is a pretty big place, and I know a lot of the dark, isolated places...

Wow man, very informative. I am intrigued. The realization that I can do this is becoming more and more apparent to me. I've been half-ass brainstorming designs and scouting potential locations just in case I make up my mind. SA is a pretty big place, and I know a lot of the dark, isolated places...

Of course you can do it. You just gotta keep your head on straight and dont be to foolish. A dark secluded place with a great peice always gets more respect than a shitty one on a main road.

Thats one thing I forgot to mention though. There are two more essentials that every graffiti writer needs. The first, is a sketchbook. Thats where you practice every peice and throw-up you do. Theres nothing more embrassing and wasteful then going out freestyling and wasting your paint on a shitty looking bomb, then having it stay there for however long. Also, you need to gaurd your sketchbook at all costs. If the cops get to that, they can burn you for every peice thats still up around their area. The next thing, is what we call a "Black Book". This is another sketchbook you bring with you everywhere you go, just in cause you meet other writers. If you do, you get them to sign it with their tag...sort of like a yearbook, you know what I mean?

Also, go to wikipedia and search up Graffiti Terminology. That will you help tonnes.

Ahhhh, I see. Yeah I already own a sketchbook, of course...go through those more than regular books. And women. but I digress...

Yeah I will remember all the tips, man. I consider myself a "creature of the night," you could say. I am always more inspired and creative after the sun goes down. I didn't know it would take me this long to see another creative outlet for me to indulge in...

Yeah man, just take some pics once you get up your first peice. Its a great way to keep records and watch yourself develop, just in case your peices get burned out eventually.
Though unfortunately my very first bomb ever is still up and its embarassingly bad! lol hahaha

Do you have a name for yourself yet?

Hank Hell, a couple quick tips for when you're sketching. First of all, don't sketch like you would draw. Don't use your wrist and fingers. Clutch your pen with a firm grip, and move your entire arm. When you move up to using cans, that's what you'll be doing, so sketching like that will help you develop can-control. Also, try not to move the paper around a whole lot, because again, when you're out doing a piece, you won't be able to rotate the wall. Sketching isn't just for doodling and brain-storming ideas, it can also help you develop good muscle-memory.

Man, I can't fucking wait until I can actually put some shit up. I'm going to try and upload some of my sketches and send them to you, Barbedwire, to see what you think.

Man, I can't fucking wait until I can actually put some shit up. I'm going to try and upload some of my sketches and send them to you, Barbedwire, to see what you think.

Yeah man, I'd love to take a look at them. Just send them in a private message or something, or post them in this thread if you dont mind a hundred or so others viewing them as well.

I've submitted 5 photos of my peices to the Bombing Science website a couple of days ago, so I'm hoping they'll get added to the Vancouver section. There are worse peices on that site to be honest, so I hope they go through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back