Calgary Region, Detroit Subregion: First Round: (9)CM Punk vs.(24) Shane Douglas

Who Wins This Match?

• CM Punk

• Shane Douglas

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dave

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The following contest is a first round match in the Calgary Region.

This match takes place in the Palace Of Auburn Hills in Detroit, Michigan.

palace.jpg

#9 CM Punk

cmpunk.jpg

Vs.

#24 Shane Douglas

images

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

CM Punk definitely because Shane Douglas won't hold his own in the ring. Punk and his track record in the indy circuit can prove he can hang with the toughest and the best.

Plus, while only Douglas is a midcarder, Punk has been 3x World Heavyweight Champion, and the fastest Triple Crown Champion in WWE history. But titles isn't the only thing to prove when you're as good as CM Punk.

Vote for the "Straight Edge Superstar" CM Punk.

This is a good, underrated matchup.

I know everyone views CM Punk as this phenomenal talent (which he clearly is) but Shane Douglas was no slouch. Plus, managers are allowed at ringside so you should all take Missy Hyatt and Francine into consideration. Weren't they both his valets in the past and interfered ion his behalf?

(damn, I miss managers...)

I'm going with CM Punk.

This is a truly underrated match up, but CM Punk takes the cake. He's too good. Shane would have a chance if this was a hardcore bout, but I can't see a way he wins this. He's a good wrestler, but he can't hold his own against Punk in this one. I'd see it ending with a GTS about 9 minutes in, average match.

I got to go with the Savior himself, CM Punk. Douglas enjoyed some sucess in the mid 90s, but nowhere near the sucess that Punk has in the past few years. A Triple Crown winner including 3 World titles certainly has to be more impressive than the ECW titles that Douglas won. Now the match itself would be a good one but it'll end with a GTS at the 12 minute mark of the match.

Im going with Punk here I like Shane Douglas alot but not enough for him to get a Vote here against CM Punk the Straight Edge Messiah. CM Punk is One of Favorite Superstars in Wrestling right now. CM Punk gets the win here in 15 minutes after a GTS.

I was watching an old Royal Rumble a little while ago, I think it was 1991, but it might have been a different one from about that time. Anyway, Shane Douglas is in it, and he's a young, wrestler, talked up by the commentators, and he gives a good showing. It actually reminded me quite a lot of Punk's run as a face. Ignoring his forgettable World title reign, Punk's run as a face was essentially quite tame. He was decent enough, but there was no wow factor. The same could be said of Douglas early on. He went to ECW, and that gave him a chance to grow into himself a bit.

The difference came in what happened next for both men. The next time Douglas was on a major promotion's show, he was Dean Douglas. It's not his fault that he had that character, but instead of trying to run with it, he sulked and basically ensured he'd never wrestle within a big company again. Punk won the title the second time, and was left in limbo for a bit with his character, unclear if he was a heel or a face. Punk grabbed the bull by its horns and became one of the WWE's biggest stars.

Simply put, both of these men were once gonna-bes, but Douglas ended up being a never-was, while Punk is a multiple time World Champion, and there's only one potential winner here.

So we have one of the best overall young wrestlers working today aganst an overrated hack that blames everybody and anybody in pro wrestling for his own career shortcomings except himself.

Punk is superior to Shane Douglas in every measurable, meaningful way. If Douglas was a tenth as good as he believed himself to be, people would be asking just exactly who the hell Ric Flair is.

Have to go with cm punk here. He is a phenomenal talent and is probably the most entertaining person in the entire wwe at the moment. Now I know Douglas was never really given that chance in wwe/f but he was the champion in the original ecw and i don't think he was ever viewed as the most entertaining person in that company.
Punk has 3 wwe/world title reigns and although he wasn't the most interesting guy as a face his matchs were still amazing. Only one winner here for me and that is cm punk

This could be the match of the tournament. Both of these guys were really good in the ring and could go. I think Tasty summed it up perfectly. Punk wound up going on to be one of wrestling's top current stars, whereas Douglas went on to succeed in ECW and never really accomplished anything outside of that. Both guys could talk like no other and are probably equal in every category but Punk's current success as a heel puts him over for me.

For me, this is a no-brainer. I think Shane Douglas, even though he is ranked low, would probably get the nod over some guys ranked ahead of him. CM Punk is not one of them. Punk easily wins this.

I actually see CM Punk going deep in this Tournament. Shane Douglas will quickly be an after-thought. Douglas may have been dubbed "The Franchise" but it does him no good when the company he was the "Franchise" of, has been out of business for 10 years.

Douglas had his moments on the mic. But, he is nowhere near CM Punk's level. In the ring, it is an even further discrepancy. Once again, Douglas had his moments, and has wrestled some insane matches. But just can't match what Punk brings to the table.

On Punk's worst day, I would consider him better than Douglas in every aspect possible.

Shane Douglas is brutally overrated. History reminds us of his existence because he tossed the NWA title out in favor of the ECW one and helmed ECW. Then guys like The Sandman, Sabu, Terry Funk and Raven pretty much made him an afterthought. His run on WCW was sub-par and his attitude never helped. Meanwhile CM Punk, probably the most recognizable wrestler of this generation to come out of the indies as well as a man who has put on solid match after solid match is Shane opponent. Shane's finishing move was a damn Belly To Belly. That says enough about his ring work. Shane never broke out in WCW or WWF. CM Punk did. And in a time where homegrown talent was placed over outsiders. Shane's bigger? So what? Chris Daniels beat him. Size is nothing. Everything else is. And CM Punk has everything else. Shane only has his NWA title lying on the ground.

So we have one of the best overall young wrestlers working today aganst an overrated hack that blames everybody and anybody in pro wrestling for his own career shortcomings except himself.

Punk is superior to Shane Douglas in every measurable, meaningful way. If Douglas was a tenth as good as he believed himself to be, people would be asking just exactly who the hell Ric Flair is.

I swear we're not alts. Promise.

Shane Douglas is pure shit. He was given the NWA title and instead of trying to defend it and add to it's prestige, his ego led him to think that he could just throw the damn belt in the trash. Sure Heyman said to do so, but Douglas could have been the bigger man and said, 'I feel the belt's prestigious... and I could use the rub from this belt.' Then Heyman said... 'You're not worthy of the NWA title. Seriously, dude. Don't even try it. You'll fail.'

Best thing Shane Douglas ever did was retire and his best match is any match he didn't wrestle in.

Punk wins this for spite.

This is quite possibly one of the biggest overkill matches in the first round in my mind. CM's indi achievements quite possibly take over for him in this match. You don't even need to throw in his WWE run. When has Shane Douglas ever been anything more than an afterthought? He was kind of good on the stick from what I've seen in his early days, but after that it was just kind of a joke. CM worked his way up the indi circuit and became one of WWE's biggest stars to date. Like him or hate him, Cm punk is gold anyway you put it. He's better in the ring, better on the stick, and has a much larger fan base than anything Shane Douglas could ever dream of.

55-1 to CM Punk? Fuck, thats unfair to Shane Douglas!

I also voted for Punk, but I have to respect Douglas for his role in making ECW what it was. He was incredible on the mic, and could certainly go in the ring. In my eyes he was unfairly treated in WWE and WCW, and the Franchise character is one of my favourites, always has been.

However, Punk is just as good on the mic- probably better. Punk is better in the ring too, so he would win this one after kicking out of a Pittsburgh Plunge and then making Douglas tap out to the Anaconda Vice.

Francine (FUCKING HOT BTW) would have interfered at some point, and would have taken a "Welcome to Chicago Motherfucker" backbreaker from Punk, causing her to be stretchered from ringside. One on one, Douglas doesnt have the tools to take down Mr Straight Edge.

CM Punk advances

I am a guy who likes me some Shane Douglas, underrated promo man and brought some good wrestling to ECW when it was otherwise lacking in that area. On the other hand CM PUNK for the past 2 years has been consistently putting on good matches, been great on the microphone and outside of Vickie most nights has the most heat on him in the arena. While I like Shane and if I saw a bit more of him he might be able to put up a better battle for me but as it stands my vote goes to PUNK

I knew this match wouldn't be close but i never expected 67-1.

Anyway Punk is an amazing draw and will be for years to come, on the other hand Shane Douglas who was a 4 time ECW world champion, but has no chance against Punk.

Winner: Punk in 6:30 via GTS.

However, Punk is just as good on the mic- probably better. Punk is better in the ring too, so he would win this one after kicking out of a Pittsburgh Plunge and then making Douglas tap out to the Anaconda Vice.

Francine (FUCKING HOT BTW) would have interfered at some point, and would have taken a "Welcome to Chicago Motherfucker" backbreaker from Punk, causing her to be stretchered from ringside. One on one, Douglas doesnt have the tools to take down Mr Straight Edge.

CM Punk advances

^^THIS

Mic skills: checked
In ring skills: checked
Charisma: checked
Being over as heel or face: checked

:worship:Yep, CM Punk pretty much dominates this one, my favorite wrestler who is being build as the top heel the E has to offer against Douglas? TheFranchis is good but he hasn't "screwed" Taker ;)

CM Punk is better in probably every way. But two factors play against him, the managers and backstage politics.

Douglas by "Sports Entertainment" finish.

Even if I was to ignore in ring ability, overall skill, level of influence, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches, accomplishments, etc. CM Punk still would win based on him being my favorite current wrestler & on air character.

When you factor in everything I ignored, it's a landslide in Punk's favour.

Punk by a mile. A multi time world champion in the largest professional wrestling organization, versus a career mid carder punk has consistently displayed great in ring skills, tremendous mic work, and the ability to play face or heel, albeit fat more effectively as a heel. In contrast, Shane Douglas has shown me very little.

I cannot imagine this one being remotely close or competitive. Someone go and get the man a pillow. Because I see Shane Douglas as the recipient of a GTS, falling victim in this one quickly and decisively.

I'm all up the Punk bandwagon but I seriously have a soft spot for Shane Douglas, ever since I saw The Rise & Fall of ECW. The man could cut a great promo (and I ain't talking about the NWA Title win fiasco one), and could certainly have a great match.

But then again, it's Punk. Someone who makes even bland matches seem interesting with his in-ring expressions, mannerisms and nice kicks, we all like kicks here in WZW, we do.

Punk here, Hard fought match, ends in 14:38 Douglas kicks out of the GTS but taps out to the Anaconda Vice, the old one not the Micheal Cole one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back