Byron Saxton commentary --

Jeff Deliverer of Mail

Money for nothin, chicks for free
You know , Byron Saxton sure is green isn't he ? Right now I don't think it's really fair on the guy as it seems like he's been planted right in the big leagues before he even had a real chance to round out his skills.

Byron Saxton is playing the wing on Cole's left side on Monday Night RAW with JBL working color commentary on the other end of the table. Saxton is replacing a long time RAW color Jerry Lawler. What his role is seems unclear, is he second color ? He's playing an anti-JBL type anyway and not trying to be anything else than professional.

It seems like Cole is TRAINING Saxton at the table to be a future main commentator someday. In my opinion , Saxton is going to be a great commentator once he learns a few things......

His voice volume : You listen to JBL , even when he talks normally, he still resonates clearly on television , especially when he growl yells his point. Cole needs no work on his volume as he also resonates clearly and knows when to amp up the volume like a pro during tense moments in matches. Saxton...not so much. Sometimes, if there is something loud going on in the ring or the crowd is chanting....Saxton is completely drowned out and you can't hear what the guy is trying to say.

Match intensity recognition : JBL and Cole are hogging the mic when the time is right. When the action is intense , important moments in the match, Cole and JBL are on fire calling it. Saxton can learn a thing or two from this, he needs a yelling WOW ! Catch phrase or something , he shows little emotion when emotion is obviously called for.

Taking advantage of opportunities : Cole and JBL , even if they are doing their jobs well, maybe calling it hogging the mic....but to give them all the credit in the world, they constantly refer to Byron all through the show. Byron needs to be more interesting during these - call outs - by JBL and Cole. I cringe thinking about how many times Bryon could have taken advantage of every call out and delivered a more passionate response.

....like I said, Byron Saxton is going to be great in the furture, you can see it in his professionalism and certain moments calling parts of match ups. He just needs to keep working at it and shedding his green.

I feel the same way about Byron Saxton. He has a lot of things to work on, but he's making a lot of progress. It looks like they're training him to be their next big announcer. Since Booker T is doing Tough Enough, that gave an opening to pull Saxton from the backstage interviewer area and let him get some experience at the table with Cole and JBL. I do like that with the recent NXT callups in Owens and the new Divas, Cole and JBL actually cede to Saxton - who commentates at NXT - to discuss the new talent. Perhaps that's why Saxton is there - to be that bridge between NXT and RAW to help hype the NXT talent moving up to the main roster.

Thought Saxton had been brought in to take over for Booker T while he does Tough Enough?

This also gives Saxton the chance to learn from Cole. He's done fine in NXT. It's smaller facility, plus it's taped, so they can go back and correct mistakes if they happen. He also knows those wrestlers well, and JBL and Cole should be taking lessons from Saxton on the newbies.

I wonder if the Ascension's debut would have been different if Saxton had been around then. He might have been able to counter the negativity that burst forth from JBL. Doubt it, but you never know.

Brian Saxton is simply awful at commentary. He was brought into the big leagues way too soon. His persona is lacking, his inability to engage the audience has me wondering if he's only sitting at the big boy's table simply to fill a quota. Eva Marie is more capable of putting butts in seats.

Renee Young, Corey Graves, the NXT play by play guy (I forget his name) actually make me care about watching the product. Saxton... I hardly notice when he's on air.

I'm convinced Brian Saxton is really at the Raw announcer's table just to make us not take Michael Cole for granted (remember all the "oh I wish JR was back" banter?). Well played WWE, well played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back