WWE's best commentary team is on the C show

ASKane

Championship Contender
I just watched the Main Event match between the Shield Los Matadores and Sin Cara and 2 things stood out to me.

1. Epico and Primo do have a lot of talent and with a good gimmick are championship material

2. Byron Saxton and Tom Phillips are WWE's best commentary crew. Their focus was solely on the wrestling and not some petty bullshit you expect 10 year old girls to be talking about. They focused on the 6 guys in the ring and called the match they didn't talk about any other wrestlers expect the Wyatt Family to build the match. They were not arguing about whats happening with Bryan, Orton etc they focused on calling the action they were watching and if they were calling Raw and Smackdown they would be a fresh pair of announcers who would improve the quality of the show. Currently WWE is going through its worse period of match commentary ever despite having a great team on the C show. Sort it out WWE

What do you think about the team of Phillips and Saxton and how they compare to Cole, Lawler and JBL

I was thinking the same exact thing. I recently changed cable providers, and got to watch Main Event tonight. The commentary was great - they stuck to the in-ring action, worked off each other's points well, and most enjoyably, they didn't have to scream over each other to make a point (i.e. - Cole, JBL + Lawler). In my opinion, a change at the commentators' table would be more than welcome, and bring some much needed energy to the in-ring action and televised product.

Can someone post a sample match or some shit, can never catch Main Event, always seem to forget when 7 PM rolls around.

WWE is in desperate need of new announcers. Or at least put some new guys on Smackdown.

I can honestly say I've never even heard the name "Tom Phillips". So I can't make any comparisons.

But I will say that the RAW team is barely tolerable these days.

JBL- when he first got the gig I was stoked because I felt that having a heel commentator was important, and JBL was great on the mic when he was wrestling. But his need to play devil's advocate with EVERY SINGLE THING that goes on annoys the shit out of me. He's a smart man, but he goes out of his way to make it sound like he is ******ed or the most dishonest man alive sometimes.

Lawler - I've come to accept him and his schtick, it is what it is, a tiger can't change it's stripes.

Cole- I don't hate Cole, I think he's pretty good at actually calling a match. BUT, a huge pet peeve is when he reads, verbatim, things that other wrestlers said during promos earlier in the night, or from Smackdown, or from the previous weeks RAW. Specifically, when its Bray Wyatt.

The words that come out of Bray Wyatt's mouth are off-the-wall and sometimes make no rational sense, because that's the intention. Then an hour later during the Wyatts' match, Cole is reading the exact quotes and it just sounds absolutely ridiculous. Do that with other "normal" guys, not Wyatt. If the Warrior was still wrestling, I guess Cole, in his nerdy voice, would say "earlier in the night, Warrior said 'Exit stage left, exit stage right, all of the fuses in the exit signs have been blown out".

My criticisms of JBL and Cole aren't necessarily directed at THEM, but at the directives they are given from Creative.

It would be great if they could rotate the commentary team somehow.

Have about 10 different guys who can do commentary, and give all of them a chance. Never have the same 3 guys appear on 2 Monday Night RAWs in a row.

Helps keep things fresh for a change,lMO.

I wish WWE would convince Mick Foley to come back and do commentary I think him and Michael Cole could make a great commentary team.

I also think WWE should maybe groom a Diva to do commentary (not Eva marie) Trish back in the day would have done a great job...Lita had a stint while she was injured and she was doing commentary on sunday night heat and she did well...I think having a Diva would be something fresh if done correctly and not half ass'd

I wish WWE would convince Mick Foley to come back and do commentary I think him and Michael Cole could make a great commentary team.

I also think WWE should maybe groom a Diva to do commentary (not Eva marie) Trish back in the day would have done a great job...Lita had a stint while she was injured and she was doing commentary on sunday night heat and she did well...I think having a Diva would be something fresh if done correctly and not half ass'd
Mick would do great but I think he's pretty much done with WWE

Wasn't Renee Young supposed to be commentating here and there on NXT. I don't watch NXT but I remember it being talked about.

Trish's appearance will probably be even less than they were because she has a kid now.

I definitely do think someone should at least talk to Lita about trying it since she'll be around for the Hall of Fame this year.

The first name that comes to mind right away is Nattie. I think she could do great at commentary. With her family, she was practically born with a knowledge of wrestling, especially technical wrestling. I always enjoy when she does guest commentary.

I always enjoyed the unlikely pairings on commentary....it was so cool when JR and Taz did commentary for the 2004 royal rumble match...Both played there roles perfectly even if it was just a one off thing.

I really enjoyed Heel Cole also because you could tell he was really having fun...yes it took away from some of the stuff in the ring but Cole was so into it was really fun to watch.

I'm willing to bet half of my 401K on my theory that Byron and Tom weren't having random suggestions fed into their ears during that night.

It does seem pretty stupid when Cole and JBL get into a heated debate and have to occasionally be interrupted by King or themselves because there's a wrestling match going on. "How can you say that Daniel Bryan brought this on himself? That's just so... AND A BIG EUROPEAN UPPERCUT... that's just so close minded of you!" I think that sometimes they get so absorbed in their tv personae trading wits during a fake argument that they literally lose track of themselves.

I imagine that if there's two seconds of silence, Vince or HHH buzzes into one of their ears "Say something about what Randy Orton said earlier!" I think if ratings go up for Main Event, we'll eventually have Byron and Tom transition into "story tellers" instead of actual commentators.

I'm willing to bet half of my 401K on my theory that Byron and Tom weren't having random suggestions fed into their ears during that night.

It does seem pretty stupid when Cole and JBL get into a heated debate and have to occasionally be interrupted by King or themselves because there's a wrestling match going on. "How can you say that Daniel Bryan brought this on himself? That's just so... AND A BIG EUROPEAN UPPERCUT... that's just so close minded of you!" I think that sometimes they get so absorbed in their tv personae trading wits during a fake argument that they literally lose track of themselves.

I imagine that if there's two seconds of silence, Vince or HHH buzzes into one of their ears "Say something about what Randy Orton said earlier!" I think if ratings go up for Main Event, we'll eventually have Byron and Tom transition into "story tellers" instead of actual commentators.

I agree with this. Tom Phillips and William Regal/Byron Saxton/Alex Riley actually call the action in NXT and Main Event from what I've seen. Much better that the garbage we get on the main shows, with Vince feeding them lines to spew that have nothing to do with the in ring action. This is another reason that midcarders don't get over, because the commentators are ignoring their matches instead of praising them and building them up (like they do on the secondary shows).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back