Bring in the Internet Championship?

CrazyBobBacklund

Dark Match Winner
I’d like to introduce a internet championship where fans get to choose the no1 contender each week out of 4 choices with you not being eligible to be in the choice picks for 4 weeks after each week of being up for nomination. It would give fan favourites that don’t normally get pushed a chance to shine. What do you all think? Also who do you reckon would really benefit from this?

You know, this isn't a terrible idea really. Not compared to some of the silliness we've seen over the years on TV. It would give talent something to do other than sit on their contracts and maybe someone will get a little bump from holding a special title. Moreso than any Andre Memorial they do each Wrestlemania. I'm not the biggest fan of adding more championships - I'm more a storyline guy. But it could stir up fan interest, so right on.

The problem is that everytime they tried to incorporate fan interactions, they failed miserably as nobody cared for the concept. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work or that it's not a interesting idea but with Smackdown already not having enough time to showcase everybody and Raw being more about the main event and upper mid card guys. We're do you put that championship so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle?

Unless you do it as a internet only title were they only defend the title on streaming services and not on the body either raw or smackdown. That could be interesting and it would give a easy fix for the kickoff shows before every PPV we're the first match of the preshow is the internet title match.

It's could be a interesting idea to try but i feel like fans would get tired of the concept very quickly just like the whole taboo tuesday/cyber sunday concept they tried in the early 2000's

The fan favorite thing would be neat, if they made sure to keep the candidates fresh. It would add appeal if they used an independent third party to regulate the votes, kind of like how all the fan-vote shows do it (AGT, American Idol, etc.) Give the fans the idea that their vote really does matter, even if it doesn't.

I'd get into this if they made it as a successor of sorts to the Television Championship. Like if the WWE created a Network exclusive show, and the appeal of that show could be that every episode would include a match for the Internet Championship. Like how the Television Championship would only be defended on television, the Internet Championship will only be defended on the internet.

The problem is that everytime they tried to incorporate fan interactions, they failed miserably as nobody cared for the concept

That's a big reason why this probably wouldn't work, not the only reason but a significant one. As to why that reason exists, it's because it won't be long before Vince has the votes tinkered with so that the people he wants to be challengers are the ones who gets the shots. Hell, it might even be from the very beginning and blatantly obvious. For instance, instead of someone like Finn Balor, Seth Rollins or Mustafa Ali being selected, it wouldn't be a surprise at all if the winner of the "votes" was someone fans hated, like Baron Corbin, or someone who wasn't really all that relevant, like Goldust or R-Truth. You know that WWE would almost certainly pick the nominees eligible to be voted for each month, they're not going to leave it wide open for every male star, who isn't a champion; I mean it could happen if Vince wanted it to but that's just not his style and, to be fair, there'd probably be some months where the challenger would be someone who really shouldn't be in the spot as fans would probably get over the novelty of this and start screwing around with it.

If WWE did go this route with an Internet or Television Championship or some other title for lower card guys, it'd probably work best if it was within its own little self-contained community like 205 Live is for the Cruiserweight Championship. Hell, WWE could use Main Event as the setting for the show as Main Event is ultimately just the same show as Superstars was, which often features matches between lower card wrestlers anyway. Let them have stories and feuds with the title ultimately being what they're chasing. It might seem like a title that exists just for the sake of someone having a belt on the surface, but it could be a means of highlighting some guys that Vince possibly dismissed too soon and could cause him to take another look and, possibly, eventually, move them back onto the main card.

It's fine. I'm guessing that there is a reason they don't do this already. Maybe they feel like it doesn't have legs. Like how long can this exist without fans getting tired of it?

I've been a proponent of this being a made up heel title similar to the old Million Dollar Title. Strap an IPad around a guy's waste with graphics and have the heel and a heel announcer play up the legitimacy of the title. Have the heel put out fake polls and say fake facts. The heel can lose matches for the title and make up stupid excuses as to why the losses are not legitimate.

Actually, a Network Title is cool. Some title more open and with subscribers choosing the type of match, or playing as Cyber Sunday was. And being a low card title can push popularity and heat for a lot of guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back