• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bray Wyatt needs to start winning

A11oftheLights

Getting Noticed By Management
Bray Wyatt can not be taken seriously as a main event superstar or even as a cult leader if he doesnt start consistently winning on Pay Per View/Special Events/Whatever we call them these days.

Currently Bray holds a 6-5 record on PPV. However his wins are far from impressive.They are:
Summerslam 2013 def. Kane
Battleground 2013 def. Kofi
TLC 2013 def. Daniel Bryan in a 3 on 1 handicap match
Royal Rumble 2014 def. Daniel Bryan
Elimination Chamber 2014 def. The Shield in a 6 man tag team match
Extreme Rules 2014 def. John Cena in a Steel Cage*

Of his 6 wins the only impressive wins are Kane and Daniel Bryan at the Royal Rumble. You cant credibily take Bray Wyatt as a threat to anyone if he cant win the big matches. If he cant be taken as a threat he'll soon lose the interest of the fans and he'll soon be jobbing/ stuck in the mid-card.

Now the reason i bring this up is that, many fans are saying bray wyatt as a potential sting opponent if taker isnt up to wrestling. However more importantly, he cant be taken serioulsy as a threat to the wwe championship if he isnt winning big matches.

and...if Cena buried Wyatt, what did Jericho do?

Jericho beating Wyatt was the only way to build Jericho as a credible threat. Many fans were quick to point out that beating Jericho didn't mean anything as he was last jobbing to Ryback, and saying that Jericho just comes back to put a new guy over before leaving again. Being as the two are to have a series of matches, I have no doubt that Bray will now come out on top in the feud.

Wyatt winning is irrelevant. That's the benefit of being the heel. You get to keep spewing heel stuff while losing. Faces can't say things when they lose, because the entire premise behind a face is "I'm the good guy, and good always wins." Heels can lose constantly and be out of touch.

Jericho winning was a huge surprise, and anyone acting like Jericho had to be built as a credible threat is full of shit. He's Chris Jericho, not El Diablo from the jobber roster. Jericho winning was him getting a rub before he lays down at Summerslam for Bray. He wants to help Bray out, but not at the expense of his legacy.

The feud is not over yet. At the end of it, I'm very sure that Wyatt will be the one that emerges on the winning side. I agree with what Brushfire said above. This win was more important to Jericho than it was to Wyatt. The last two guys who Jericho gave the rub didn't wind up too well, and now Jericho himself needs a push before he is in a rub-giving (that sounded weird) position again. For the coming weeks, they will both share upper-hands and then Jericho will most likely lose to him at SummerSlam before feuding with someone from the mid-card.

Jericho winning was a huge surprise, and anyone acting like Jericho had to be built as a credible threat is full of shit. He's Chris Jericho, not El Diablo from the jobber roster. Jericho winning was him getting a rub before he lays down at Summerslam for Bray. He wants to help Bray out, but not at the expense of his legacy.

He's Chris Jericho, guy who came back to put over Fandango, Ryback, and Dolph Ziggler. He came back to be put into a very good series with CM Punk, but without there being a moment's thought that he might actually win ANY of the matches (he didn't). He's very dangerously close to becoming a defacto stepping stone, and I think the WWE is aware of that, hence his win last night.

So no, saying that Jericho needs to be built to be a credible threat isn't full of shit.

Currently Bray holds a 6-5 record on PPV.

6-5 record?? On ppv he has only lost to Cena twice and now to Jericho. Those are his ONLY LOSSES! And people are now crying because Bray is getting buried? Give me a break...

It made a lot of sense for Jericho to win. They HAVE to be on another match on SummerSlam with maybe a stipulation. If Jericho lost, what reason would he have for a rematch? He's a face, he's not supposed to be bitter about a loss. And he lost to Jericho, not Xavier Woods or Zack Ryder.

WWE is doing well with Bray, people need to stop this overreacting.

He's Chris Jericho, guy who came back to put over Fandango, Ryback, and Dolph Ziggler. He came back to be put into a very good series with CM Punk, but without there being a moment's thought that he might actually win ANY of the matches (he didn't). He's very dangerously close to becoming a defacto stepping stone, and I think the WWE is aware of that, hence his win last night.

So no, saying that Jericho needs to be built to be a credible threat isn't full of shit.

He's a credible threat, regardless of his win last night. His win last night was cheap propagation of a feud.

He's a credible threat, regardless of his win last night. His win last night was cheap propagation of a feud.

If you keep jobbing someone out, constantly having them "put younger talent over", pretty soon beating that person doesn't have any value. So it's not "cheap propagation". It's a necessary step to keep Jericho from being a punching bag.

Right, but if you do that with Cena, it's because Cena wants to bury young talent.

It's a bullshit double standard. Jericho didn't need the win last night, and the finish even felt wrong, like they had to quickly dump out of the match.

It's Bray Wyatt. He should stay in the mid-card forever. I STILL dont see what everyone finds so great about this guy. I've been looking and looking but he's still boring and unentertaining. His promos are all the same.

Right, but if you do that with Cena, it's because Cena wants to bury young talent.

It's a bullshit double standard. Jericho didn't need the win last night, and the finish even felt wrong, like they had to quickly dump out of the match.

It's not even close to the same situation. Cena has had about 5,000 times the success Jericho has had in the last 5 years. Cena would need to lose every feud he's in for like a year before he would "need" a win.

Jericho hasn't been treated as a top guy since he lost at WrestleMania to Punk. That was the last time he was booked as a top guy. After that he lost a few more times to Punk, and lost every feud he's been in since then.

He absolutely needed to come in strong this time, to make the feud worth watching.

How the hell does losing to two of the top guys in the company equate to burial?

Jericho needed the win to reinforce his status as a top guy given his recent record.

He has provided Bray with an interesting feud to add to his steadily growing resume.

Y2J winning was the right choice, period. Bray is already a main eventer, and barring an epic fall from grace only the likes of Jack Swagger is capable of, he'll stay in the main event. Main event heels lose a lot. Just because Bray has some bearded goons, a church hymn for a motif theme song and an army of children rivaled only by Joseph Kony doesn't exempt him from that.

Honestly, why should Jericho have lost? He's pretty much a legend already, true, but he can't settle into being known for coming back to lose. He already had to put Fandango and Ryback over just to have them become irrelevant during his leave. That takes recovery. He needed the win, lest Bray be feuding with a high profile jobber. Bray will go over at Summerslam on a more epic stage and the world will go on.

And his record this year is nothing to laugh at on PPV:

-Beats Daniel Bryan, hottest face in the company at the time and probably even now if he wasn't injured, clean in their blowoff match, thereby winning a feud with the hottest face in the company.
-Beat the Shield at EC, and considering this team went on to beat Evolution twice, that's a big deal even if their wins all had the extraneous variables of Dean/Seth backing out. (Also of note, they are 3-1 against the Shield, immediate team credibility)
-Loses to Cena at WM. Yeah, he should've won, but it's his WM debut against Cena. He, in his debut match at WM, WAS A THREAT TO THE FACE OF THE COMPANY. That's pretty OK.
-Beats Cena at ER, granted it took Harper, Rowan, a cage, a blackout, a little boy and the voice of Satan. That being said, it's the only legit gripe on this list.
-Loses to Cena at Payback. Honestly, he wasn't going to win this from the jump. The only people to go over Cena in an entire feud ever since he became Superman were CM Punk (extremely hot at the time and preplanned Rock match being extraneous variables) and Orton (just so he wouldn't have to lose to Bryan twice for the title). Bray is not handicapped for losing. Besides, that literal burial was pretty epic.
-The Y2J loss, already explained.

Okay anybody who argues that this was the wrong decision at Battleground look at RVD. He loses to everybody, and now beating him means nothing. So Jericho needed to win or it would mean nothing when at the next PPV he loses :p

Boy do I love IWCers.....

U guys are PRICELESS.....

A guy comes back as a Part timer wearing skinny jeans gets wins a big match against a Fan favorite and THEY BOO HIM FOR MONTHS..... Even going as far as making fun of his wardrobe and BASICALLY SHITTING ON HIS ENTIRE TIME BACK even though he cleanly put over a list of up and comers before he left......

BUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT........

One there fan favorites comes back as a PART TIMER wearing skinny jeans and HE WINS HIS FIRST MATCH CLEANLY OVER A HOT UP AND COMER and the IWC gives 1975 reasons why it makes since....

Oh as far as the First part time.... He wore blue tights....

The second.... Glitter Badazzled jackets.....

Yet somehow the SITUATION IS TOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTAAALLLLLYYYY DIFFERENT!!!

U GUYS ARE CLOWNS!!!!

Hot up and comer?

Jericho is a hot returning star :shrug:

Jericho can still be a valuable main eventer for WWE if used right.

Boy do I love IWCers.....

U guys are PRICELESS.....

A guy comes back as a Part timer wearing skinny jeans gets wins a big match against a Fan favorite and THEY BOO HIM FOR MONTHS..... Even going as far as making fun of his wardrobe and BASICALLY SHITTING ON HIS ENTIRE TIME BACK even though he cleanly put over a list of up and comers before he left......

BUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT........

One there fan favorites comes back as a PART TIMER wearing skinny jeans and HE WINS HIS FIRST MATCH CLEANLY OVER A HOT UP AND COMER and the IWC gives 1975 reasons why it makes since....

Oh as far as the First part time.... He wore blue tights....

The second.... Glitter Badazzled jackets.....

Yet somehow the SITUATION IS TOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTAAALLLLLYYYY DIFFERENT!!!

U GUYS ARE CLOWNS!!!!

A little context.....Batista is/was never all that good. Chris Jericho is/was very good.

That makes a difference.

Batista and Jericho are in the same book, sorry. Batista's popularity in his prime was no different than Jericho's. However, the IWC marks have decided that they love Jericho, and that they hate Batista. They even claim to hate Batista enough to pretend that he was trying to come back as a face, and that he wasn't ever talented.

I don't think the situations are really that similar. Batista came back and won a Royal Rumble that many people wanted Daniel Bryan to win - the backlash from that didn't solely come from the ICW. He did however go on to put Bryan over at WrestleMania, which for me personally makes up for it. I don't hate Batista at all, and I don't like how popular it is to do so. Like Cena, the guy was a huge fan favourite ten years ago, but now it's apparently really cool to hate him.

Jericho meanwhile came back as a face and started a feud with Bray Wyatt, with the intention of putting him over in the feud overall. Of course people are going to make reasons for it because they can actually use their brains instead of talking about skinny jeans a lot.

Batista and Jericho are in the same book, sorry. Batista's popularity in his prime was no different than Jericho's. However, the IWC marks have decided that they love Jericho, and that they hate Batista. They even claim to hate Batista enough to pretend that he was trying to come back as a face, and that he wasn't ever talented.

I'm not talking popularity, I'm talking talent and ability.

There's a reason "IWC marks have decided they love Jericho".

Barking up the wrong tree.

Jericho beating Wyatt was the only way to build Jericho as a credible threat. Many fans were quick to point out that beating Jericho didn't mean anything as he was last jobbing to Ryback, and saying that Jericho just comes back to put a new guy over before leaving again. Being as the two are to have a series of matches, I have no doubt that Bray will now come out on top in the feud.

I agree. Bray beating Jericho would have been so predictable. Also, Battleground is a small stage. Bray needs to continue to win on the big stage.

A win at Summerslam would be more memorable than Battleground. I'm curious to see how far they stretch out this feud. Two matches? Three matches?

I agree. Bray beating Jericho would have been so predictable. Also, Battleground is a small stage. Bray needs to continue to win on the big stage.

A win at Summerslam would be more memorable than Battleground. I'm curious to see how far they stretch out this feud. Two matches? Three matches?

My guess is three although it could easily be either. They want to stack the NOC champion card to entice potential network renewals so a rubber match between Wyatt and Jericho would be a way to do that. Imagine Bray will get a dirty win at SummerSlam (although it doesn't have to be) and a clean win in some form of gimmick match at Night of Champions.

A question to think about though is where does Wyatt go from this? From Daniel Bryan, to John Cena, to Chris Jericho, he is almost running out of top faces to feud with.

Jericho is good, but so was Batista. They are dynamically different in the ring, so its impossible to compare their different styles. The only thing you can do is compare their popularity. However, most internet fans have a 2 week memory.

It's Bray Wyatt. He should stay in the mid-card forever. I STILL dont see what everyone finds so great about this guy. I've been looking and looking but he's still boring and unentertaining. His promos are all the same.

This is the truth, but most of the IWC is too busy jacking off to this guy to see how bland he is.

Bray Wyatt losing last night was the right call. This feud should go similar to the feud with Cena - the top star beats the young guy in round one, the young guy cheats to win round two, and the top star gets the victory in the third and final round. If WWE really wants Bray Wyatt to have a chance to succeed, a slow and steady build is the right way to do it, not by shoving a rocket up his a s s and having him destroy everyone. That's a short-term fix that accomplishes nothing in the long run.

Jericho is good, but so was Batista. They are dynamically different in the ring, so its impossible to compare their different styles. The only thing you can do is compare their popularity. However, most internet fans have a 2 week memory.

LOL at "only being able to compare popularity".

Well, you know Great Khali and Shawn Michaels were dynamically different in the ring so the only way we know Michaels was better is he was more popular.....HUH?

I'm sorry that you're unable to judge in-ring ability or mic skills by what you see and hear. Many people can though.

Speaking of popularity, Jericho was one of the most popular guys in the most popular era of wrestling, so I'd say he would even win out there. Being the #2 face in 2000>>>> Being the #2 face in 2005.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back