• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brandon Spikes Suspended

Little Jerry Lawler

Sigmund Freud On Ritalin And Roids
Star linebacker Brandon Spikes from Florida was suspended for the first half of their upcoming game against Vanderbilt for attempting to gouge the eyes of Georgia's Washaun Ealey Saturday. The SEC has signed off on this suspension as well.

I think this is utter and complete bullshit. I'm not going to cite this as another conspiracy for Florida to get into the championship because I don't think that heavily factors into it. LaGarette Blount got a year suspension for his punch and that shouldn't be the benchmark for future punishment. Still though, Spikes tried to blind another player and that to me is the ultimate form of unsportsmanship aside from spitting in somebody's face. He should be suspended for a game if not multiple games. There's no place anywhere for that and he should know that. A half against Vanderbilt isn't anything since the Commodores are awful and Florida will probably be winning by four touchdowns anyway. The NCAA has dropped the ball in many cases and this is another instance.

What do you think about the suspension? Do you think it is unfair or do you think it is justified?

As a Gators fan I can't and won't defend this, but for people out there who are warning him about karma, well uhh, this is karma manifesting itself out as it's happened to Tebow numerous times.

He should have been suspended for the entire game, at least, though. I agree.

Damn right he should be suspended. It's one thing to accidentally poke someone in the helmet, it's a totally different thing to actively try and poke them in the eye, he could have done serious damage to that eye. It's just terrible sportsmanship and doesn't say very much about that young man.

Mike Golic said that he would take Blount's punch over Spike's eye gouge. The main issue with the Blount situation was the interaction with the crowd and not so much the actual punch. This is a different situation because Ealey didn't do anything to provoke Spikes. I don't know if this is worse than Bill Romanowski spitting in J.J. Stoke's face but it is pretty close.

If it was a player from a team that had no chance of reaching the championship game did the same thing, do you think he would have been suspended longer? I fully don't believe Meyer suspended him for a half because he wants to protect his national championship chances but he did give that assumption when he issued the punishment. How about if it they were playing a team much stronger than Vanderbilt, would he be suspended at all?

If Florida loses to Vanderbilt, I can't wait to hear what the media has to say about it. It will make my day. This gives more ammo to other SEC coaches who feel that Florida and Alabama are given preferrential treatment.

Mike Golic said that he would take Blount's punch over Spike's eye gouge. The main issue with the Blount situation was the interaction with the crowd and not so much the actual punch. This is a different situation because Ealey didn't do anything to provoke Spikes. I don't know if this is worse than Bill Romanowski spitting in J.J. Stoke's face but it is pretty close.

If it was a player from a team that had no chance of reaching the championship game did the same thing, do you think he would have been suspended longer? I fully don't believe Meyer suspended him for a half because he wants to protect his national championship chances but he did give that assumption when he issued the punishment. How about if it they were playing a team much stronger than Vanderbilt, would he be suspended at all?

If Florida loses to Vanderbilt, I can't wait to hear what the media has to say about it. It will make my day. This gives more ammo to other SEC coaches who feel that Florida and Alabama are given preferrential treatment.
Once again I'm not defending trying to poke someone's eyes, but anyone who thinks this isn't a common occurrence is completely wrong.

Just sayin'-Washaun Ealy himself said he believes his own team does it, and that he doesn't believe Spikes should be suspended at all, saying that Spikes never came close to his eyes.

Take it for what it's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back