• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Brain Busters: Worthy or Not?

Do the Brain Busters deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?

• Yes. Both will make it as a Tag Team.

• No. Neither will make it.

• Only Arn Anderson will get in. He had a great career.

• Only Tully Blanchard will get in. He had a great career.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheOneBigWill

[This Space for Rent]
brainbusters.jpg

Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard, known as members of the Four Horsemen, were a professional wrestling tag team in the 1980s competing in the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) and the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) as The Brain Busters.

The duo made their debut late in October 1988, as "The Brain Busters," due to being under management of Bobby "The Brain" Heenan (and, by default, members of the Heenan Family). It was commonplace for the WWF at this time to assign wrestlers to some sort of gimmick, or new identity. The Brain Busters were allowed to keep their names and ring persona. The only changes Arn and Tully made to their style were pointing to their heads to show they were smarter than everyone else and the use of a spike piledriver as a finishing move.

The Brain Busters made their pay-per-view (PPV) debut at the 1988 Survivor Series in the 10 team tag match, where they eliminated the Hart Foundation, before being elimainated via double disqualification with the Rockers. This led to a match with the Rockers on WWF Superstars of Wrestling where both teams were again disqualified before the match could even get started. This kicked off a red hot series of house show matches. One match in particular on January 23, 1989 was rated as one of the 50 greatest matches in the Pro Wrestling Illustrated (PWI) 10th year anniversary issue, where the Brainbusters narrowly defeated the Rockers as Anderson held down Marty Jannetty's leg as Blanchard pinned him. The teams wrestled to yet another DDQ on the March 11, 1989 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event.

The Brain Busters made their first and only WrestleMania appearance at WrestleMania V against former WWF Tag Team Champions Strike Force. After an even start, the Brain Busters dominated the ex-champions as Rick Martel walked out on Tito Santana and he was brutalized and beaten after a spike piledriver and eventually pinned.

After their WrestleMania win, the Brain Busters finally got to face the WWF World Tag Team Champions Demolition and defeated them by disqualification on the May 27, 1989 edition of Saturday Night's Main Event. The Brain Busters defeated Demolition for the titles in a rematch on July 18, 1989 in a two out of three falls match. After losing the 1st fall, by pinfall, the Busters won the 2nd fall, via disqualification, and won the 3rd fall, with a distraction from Bobby Heenan and a steel chair thrown in from Andre the Giant, the Brain Busters ended Demolition’s record-breaking 478-day title reign and became the first team to win both the WWF and NWA World tag-team titles. It also was the 1st time a title changed hands in a two out of three falls match where one of the decisions ended in a disqualification. The Brain Busters lost the titles back to Demolition on October 2, 1989, in an equally controversial fashion as Blanchard, who was the illegal man, was pinned after receiving the Demolition Decapitation finisher. The Busters continued to defend the titles on house shows until the title change was acknowledged on television on November 4, 1989.

Their last match was a best-of-three-falls contest against The Rockers on Saturday Night's Main Event. The Brain Busters lost the first fall after not following directions from an enraged Heenan, who left the ringside area. The Brain Busters won the second fall, after which Heenan fired them during a backstage interview. The Rockers would go on to win the third and final fall of the match.

Bobby Heenan replaced Tully Blanchard at the Survivor Series, because he failed a drug test. Arn Anderson left the federation more or less immediately after the pay-per-view. Arn returned to the NWA in December, but they refused to rehire Blanchard when news of his failed drug test became known, thus ending the Brain Busters for good. There list of accomplishments and Championships (according to Wiki) are as follows:

National Wrestling Alliance
NWA World Tag Team Championship (Mid-Atlantic version) (2 times)

Pro Wrestling Illustrated
PWI Tag Team of the Year (1989)
PWI ranked them # 15 of the 100 best tag teams during the "PWI Years" in 2003

World Wrestling Federation
WWF World Tag Team Championship (1 time)

Brain Busters (Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard): This was a Tag Team to me, that I never remembered growing up, because ultimately they weren't around long enough once I got interested into the sport to remember them. However, they do deserve mention.

While they only won the Tag Team Championships on 1 occasion within the W.W.F., they were 2 of the Four Horsemen, and I believe that could carry over for the W.W.E. to now possibly consider them for induction to the Hall of Fame. Arn Anderson may very well warrant his own single induction into the Hall of Fame, but if not, I would suggest that a group effort with Tully Blanchard, or even other 4-Horsemen would be how it'll get done.

That is mainly my reasoning for bringing these two up in the mention of being Worthy or not. Do you feel the Brain Busters were a Tag Team, worthy enough to warrant being in the Hall of Fame, because of the members of the team, more than the accomplishments they've made? OR, do you believe Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard will make the Hall of Fame, seperate? What are your thoughts and opinions on the Brain Busters, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard being a Hall of Fame inductee? Worthy or Not?

Arn yes, Tully no. The Busters were only a team for a short amount of time in the WWF and while they had a great run, there were a lot of other great teams at the time. While the Busters were one of if not the best at the time, there was too much competition for them to stand head and shoulders above everyone else. In the NWA they were just the Horsemen. Wow I just said "just the Horsemen". Anyway, in the NWA they were overshadowed by Flair as everyone else was. Arn was always a part of the team, but Tully was there just mainly at the beginning. As I said, Arn yes, Tully no, and the team no.

As a team...no. True they are the first team to hold the NWA and WWF titles, but in this case it is longevity rather then titles that is swaying my opinion. They simply were not a team long enough.

As stated, they were part of the original Four Horsemen, but they were not an official team until late summer 87, when seeing that Arn was the only member without a belt( Tully was TV champ, Lugar was US champ and Flair was world champ ) Tully decided that they would go after the tag titles. Prior to that Tully was a singles wrestler and arn mainly teamed with Ole. They would win several titles but their partnership only last about two years. Not long enough for me.

I do think that BOTH men should be inducted into the hall of fame. While Arn seems to be the better known I think people are selling Blanchard short. He was a big player in the texas scene, holding titles with the late Gino Hernandez. In the NWA he was a multiple time Television champ, an United States Heavyweight champ and a two time Tag champ. He had memorable fueds with Ricky Steamboat, Magnum TA, The Rock n Roll Xpress and of course Dusty Rhodes. I think he is more then deserving to be in the hall.

Another option needs to be added to the poll. Both will get in but not as a team.

Probably not as a team. But never say never. Arn Anderson was obviously the most successful of the two, and in great books with the WWE. But overall, Arn was a lot better than Tully, and should be in the hall. But I would not be surprised if the WWE just lumps them both into the hall of fame as the tag team for one year. I don't know if they will list them as the Brainbusters of as part of the Four Horsemen. If Tully isn't connected to Arn when he goes in, Tully isn't going in.

Yeah sure induct them, whatever.

The Brain Busters should have been inducted last year when Flair was. The HOF should be themed, so last years show should have been Horsemen only. Put them in last year and they'd get a good responce, put them in any other time and it'll be muted.

What the FUCK are you guys taking about???

Arn and Tully are one of the BEST tag teams EVER. The psychology, the ring work, the connection to make the crowd hate them. They had it all. So what if they werent in the WWE for more than two years. WHO GIVES A FUCK. Pete Rose is in the hall of fame, as is Verne Gagne someone who owned his own company seperate from WWE. Other people are getting in from other company's on their merits. So should the Brain Busters.

I'm going to agree with Monkey, and give them a yes.

They were a great tag team, no matter how short-lived they were. They did get a title reign, and it was from defeating Demolition. They were a great tag team everywhere they went, and deserve a spot. It would help the current tag division, as well, if good tag teams started getting inducted.

They were better as individuals, and as individuals they didn't have as much impact. Save for a stable where Ric Flair was the bright shining star. Arn Anderson was boring and as good as Blanchard was, he's not as well known as other members of the Horsemen.

I'm baiting you.

They were better as individuals, and as individuals they didn't have as much impact. Save for a stable where Ric Flair was the bright shining star. Arn Anderson was boring and as good as Blanchard was, he's not as well known as other members of the Horsemen.

I'm baiting you.

I see where you're going with this. You want me to go into a tangent and lose my cool. Baiting me eh? Anyways. I can obviously see you dont agree with what you said. If you did I would ask you why. But you cant even talk down the merits of these two as a team. Well you could, but it would be very awkward and make me feel not attractive and stuff.

The Brain Busters deserve to be in the hall of fame. They are better than most tag teams and have more influence. IF they dont make it in someday and yet Pete Rose is still in. My head might explode.

It would be a pointless induction. Bobby Heenan & Ric Flair are already in, you can thank them for most of their heat.

It would be one of those shitty inductions where WWE employees stand and applaud for 30 minutes. Mostly because Arn Anderson still works for the company.

Like I said, without them being put in with other Horsemen members it's pointless. I'm really unsure what Arn Anderson did actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back