Boxing News, Tidbits & Rumors [05/18/2011]

Calderownz

Brilliant Idiot
- Couple a decent fights coming up this weekend. IN a great, little grudge match, James DeGale will face off with George Groves in the United Kingdom. Both undefeated. DeGale with the gold medal and Groves holding a victory over James from their amateur days. Should be a good one.

- Also, Bernard Hopkins is chasing history, trying to become the oldest legitimate champion in any weight class when he takes on Jean Pascal. If he manages to win the Light Heavyweight championship, he beat George Foreman's record of 45 years of age. On the under-card, you'll see Chad Dawson coming back from his first professional loss, taking on Adrian Diaconu.

- Recently, two men without fights have been trading barbs in the media at 140 pounds. Amir Khan and former Welterweight champion Zab Judah have both expressed disinterest in facing one another. However, in far different manners. Judah felt that Khan would be a step down at this point in his career and thought of Khan as a kid. Khan, firing back, essentially stated that Judah isn't worth the time. Claiming that Judah doesn't come to fight, then comparing him to his last opponent in Paul McCloskey. For two guys that don't want to fight.... that sounds like fighting words.

- According to many reports, Juan Manuel Marquez has signed on and agreed to face Manny Pacquiao later this year. This will be their third meeting. While both fights were evenly contested, Manny has become a bigger name and a bigger man. The fight will likely take place at a catch-weight.

That's about all I got for you right now. I'll post some more when it comes about.

- Also, Bernard Hopkins is chasing history, trying to become the oldest legitimate champion in any weight class when he takes on Jean Pascal. If he manages to win the Light Heavyweight championship, he beat George Foreman's record of 45 years of age. On the under-card, you'll see Chad Dawson coming back from his first professional loss, taking on Adrian Diaconu.

I thought Bernard Hopkins won the first fight against Pascal, but regardless... I'm still rooting for Pascal to knock this clown out. Listen, I respect Hopkins' technical ability as a defensive and counter fighter, but he is boring as fuck, and his attitude has always rubbed me the wrong way. I'm ready to see this guy leave the sport for good, and I think if Pascal can knock him out, Hopkins will finally decide to hang them up.

- Recently, two men without fights have been trading barbs in the media at 140 pounds. Amir Khan and former Welterweight champion Zab Judah have both expressed disinterest in facing one another. However, in far different manners. Judah felt that Khan would be a step down at this point in his career and thought of Khan as a kid. Khan, firing back, essentially stated that Judah isn't worth the time. Claiming that Judah doesn't come to fight, then comparing him to his last opponent in Paul McCloskey. For two guys that don't want to fight.... that sounds like fighting words.

Fuck Zab Judah. He's a big mouth who flushed his career down the toilet after the loss to Kostya Tszyu. However, I will say I'm actually interested in seeing Zab fight a big name since he's now training with who I consider a top 5 greatest boxer in history in Pernell Whitaker. But, Amir Khan isn't the right opponent. I'd rather see Zab fight someone like Shane Mosley or Andre Berto.

Amir Khan, since Timothy Bradley is ducking him, needs to find a big, RELEVANT name to defeat so he can get another step closer to challenging Mayweather.

- According to many reports, Juan Manuel Marquez has signed on and agreed to face Manny Pacquiao later this year. This will be their third meeting. While both fights were evenly contested, Manny has become a bigger name and a bigger man. The fight will likely take place at a catch-weight.

I like this fight. I thought JMM won the first two fights personally, so I'm glad he's getting another chance to finally get an official W over Pacman. Unfortunately though, I don't see it happening. If the fight took place at Lightweight then I'd give the edge to JMM, but at Welterweight Pacman will have the advantage in every aspect since he has been able to put on the weight while keeping his speed. JMM lost a lot of his speed at Welterweight, which we saw in his fight against Mayweather.

I don't follow boxing that closely but I cannot wait to see Pascal vs. Hopkins II. I watched the first fight and Hopkins got robbed like a mother fucker. It was a real crime. However, like jmt, I am hoping Pascal wins this fight and does so in dominant fashion. Hopkins does nothing for me. He runs his mouth and bitches and I would love nothing more then to see him get his mouth shut in this rematch. Can't wait to see this one go down.

I'm torn in regards to the Hopkins-Pascal fight. Prior to the first fight, Pascal was a very exciting fighter. He's a young fighter. The thought of him winning the fight only livens up the sport. However, I'm a huge Hopkins fan. Probably the second athlete behind Jordan who captured my imagination.

Still, either way this fight goes, it does wonders for boxing. Either history is made, or Pascal beats a legend and his rematch with Dawson looks even bigger.

Damn. Hopkins did it again. Schooled him. Made history. Incredible.

I hope that he lives up to his post-fight interview. If he faces Dawson and Bute next and manages to win, this really puts him in line with some of the best fighters in the history of the sport. Incredible.

Nonetheless, it won't be easy. Both are slick, fast southpaws. Bute has power and Dawson has range. It'll be a tough fight in either direction. Both would be great, though. Regardless, he's trying to close his career out in a strong way. Gotta respect that.

Hopkins just looked on another level last night against Pascal. Pascal's only chance seemed to be landing a big bomb at some point. Even when he did stun Hopkins, he couldn't put him down. I don't care much for Hopkins' attitude but this was a great performance. And I love that he's been coming to the ring with "My Way" in his last few fights. Classy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back