• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Bookah T vs. The Kang

Mighty NorCal

SHALL WE BEGIN?
Well its been quite some time since its occured, but this has been a fun topic before. And it feels like Booker T has been switched back to the "Kewl" character for long enough to be evaluated, so, shall we??

A lot of people said the King Bookah gimmick was shit. A lot of people said, screamed, outcried that he should be made back into Booker T.

A lot of people are idiots.

King Booker was the stand alone best thing about 2006, the best gimmick in wrestling in years, and the best work Booker had ever done, besides his very early Harlem Heat work.

I know a wrestler is doing his job well when my friends who arent "smart" to the buisness, and dont visit internet wrestling sites, find someone entertaining.

And every last one of them LOVED King Bookah, ate every last bit of it up.

And now he does nothing, in the mid card, of TNA. of all places. WHC > anything in TNA. especially being nothing in TNA.

I think a lot of people found King Booker to be cringworthy with a lot of the things he said. And they'd be right. But an internet darling like Jericho has a cannon of even more cringworthy phrases and he never hardly got any criticism. Booker was a parody of all things King. I could possibly say that King Booker is the best king to ever grace a wrestling ring. He gave his all to the role, and he looked like he was having a great time with it. Notice the King tattoo he's now sporting.

I think a lot of people found King Booker to be cringworthy with a lot of the things he said. And they'd be right. But an internet darling like Jericho has a cannon of even more cringworthy phrases and he never hardly got any criticism. Booker was a parody of all things King. I could possibly say that King Booker is the best king to ever grace a wrestling ring. He gave his all to the role, and he looked like he was having a great time with it. Notice the King tattoo he's now sporting.

I would agree. People whp say the things he said in promos are the same morons who think Cena and Hogan dont do more than fives moves becuase they "dont know any more moves". its called pro wrestling you fucktard. its fucking scripted. IE the things he was saying were SUPPOSED to be shit. twas the entire point of the gimmick. Unlike Jericho, who was TRYING to be cool, and was shit. Honestly, King Booker's gimmick couldnt have BEEN better. Little kids hated him, and smart fans could see how perfect it was. he also never accomplished ANYTHING as Booker T. Sure he won WCW titles, but they were in the waning years. I also won a spelling bee in the 5th grade. those accomplishments will be remembered with the same reverence. On the other hand, King Booker is argubaley the best king gimmick of all time. there isnt really an comparison.

I think that the reason why the whole King Bookah gimmick went over so well was because it was the very first time that the WWE decided to use a black wrestler to portray The King. It felt like Booker really got into the character and did homework before every interview. It was even more entertaining to see how he would slip in and out of character from time to time. I remember one of the funniest moments was prior to the Night of Champions match between King Booker, John Cena, and The Big Show where they were all debating who had the bigger movie career and King Booker brought up his brief cameo in Ready To Rumble. Now that's comedy.

The only problem that I had with the King Booker character was that it was made to look alot weaker than the Booker T character. King Booker was a coward. Pretty much a copy of the JBL cabinet character as he had Finley and Regal doing his dirty work for a while. I mean think about it. When Booker T faced Triple H, he looked like a hungry character who wanted to win. When King Bookah faced Triple H, he looked desperate like a character who just wanted to avoid losing and would take a loss to run for it. It just lacked so much direction at the end and could have actually been so much. But alas, he was sacrificed to the King of Kings. A sad, sad end.

Hopefully, the character can be made into something newer in TNA. I think it has a twist. A silly twist, but a twist nonetheless. And he looks dangerous as well. So it will be interesting to see how he meshes with the TNA crowd. It can be fruitful, if used right.

I don't think King Booker was that good of a gimmick because the king thing had been done a million times, but Booker was able to make it funny because every time he got frustrated he would revert back to his Booker T mannerisms. But when he was Booker T whether it was as a heel or a face he was always a beast. When he was a heel he'd always get heat for doing the spin-a-roonie at the most inopportune times, and as a face he was amazing. He could do funny shit when he was doing stuff with Goldust, and he could also get serious and take care of business like he did during the road to and during Wrestlemania 19 against Triple H (and he should have won the title at mania that year.)

More people would have been okay with the King Booker angle, if it wasn't for Sharmell. Seriously. We would CRINGE every time Booker had a match, because it meant we had to hear her shrill voice going "ALL HAIL KING BOOKER!!! ALL HAIL KING BOOKER!!!" It was incredibly annoying. If not for Sharmell, I enjoyed his promos, as he tried to sound all pompous and snotty, while maintaining his Booker T ghetto accent. It was like Regal saying Youmanga and Triple haitch. But, Sharmell was always there to drown out his promos with her annoying shrilly voice.

I loved The King Booker gimmick, he was brilliant. As said before he seemed to be really enjoying himself and he was hilarious, I couldnt stop laughing when he made Lashley kiss his feet after beating him at King of The Ring and that English accent he tried to put on was funny as fuck.

If that wasnt enough the gimmick was a heat magnet and it eventually led to him getting a World Title which he did deserve, there was also the fact that he did the occasional crowd pleasing spinaroonie like at WrestleMania.
The King Booker Gimmick was the best thing to ever happen to Booker T.

I enjoyed the King Bookah gimmick. As stated by others, he really genuinely seemed to enjoy that gimmick, and he ran with it. He made that gimmick believable, and got over more in the WWE then he ever had as Booker T. That being said, I've watch Booker T's entire career, and enjoyed him far more as the Booka Man.

His WCW days were fanfuckingtastic. Harlem Heat was an incredible tag team. It was a shame that teh Sonny Ono race situation came up, because it pretty much devalues Booker T and his WCW title reigns from that point on. Would he have been teh champion? or was it just done to try to look like WCW wasn't racist?

I remember Booker T mostly for his best of 7 series for the WCW TV Title (that's right, the most worthless title in existence) with Chris Benoit. Those two did more, for a belt that was absolute garbage, then I have seen been done for the IC title in the last 6 years. Booker T is greater then King Bookah, but King Bookah is still great.

I'd go with King Booker. Booker T arguably and debatably was given the WCW belt due to the color of his skin. I think he earned it, but take that for what you will. That being said, when he became the World champion in WCW, he was a Rock ripoff. The catchphrase to start the music, the theatrical move, and to top it off, they had the same finisher. Booker T was just an African American wrestler that had talent. Then 6 years later he becomes a royal character with a British accent who would sometimes break into ebonics. This is nothing but priceless. Its a fairly original gimmick with a small stable to go with it that was ok. There's nothing unique about Booker T. The King is something that hasn't really been done before save for the King's Crown back in the early 90s. King Booker all the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back