Book recommendations?

Freddy4190

Championship Contender
With my newly acquired library card, I need books to read. I can't think of any. Any suggestions? If you can leave me a description of the book as well, like what it's about, or whatever. You get the drift. I'm currently reading "The Rock Says.." and then i'm starting on "It's Only a Game" by Terry Bradshaw. Thanks!

Fuck Dan Brown. Read something that will increase your intelligence, read some of the classics. Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Dickens, Thoreau, Emerson, Poe. Any certain genre or era of writing you're looking for? Serious reading or light reading?

Always go with a classic when in doubt. There's a reason they're so renowned. So many books I picked up as a kid expecting to be bored by and ended up being enthralled by.

Reading > Most Other Things

I don't think I could ever really get through a Shakespeare book. There good, sure, but I get confused just reading the plot on Wikipedia.

Dan Brown does increase your intelligence.

I read his books and research the history, and the art.

Because of Dan Brown, I now have an appreciation for Bernini. I have spent hours reading about the apotheosis of George Washington and of Homer. I have researched the history of the Masons, Galileo, Da Vinci, and The Illuminati.

Dan Brown presents facts in a fast paced story. It may not be the actual book the you learn from (although I would argue that you do), but it makes you interested in topics you weren't interested in before.

The Lost Symbol. It's the new Dan Brown. I love it.

I've heard of him.. What's the book about?

HARRY POTTER YOU'VE PROBABLY NEVER HEARD OF IT

Don't even get me started on Harry Potter.. I've read those way too many times.

Fuck Dan Brown. Read something that will increase your intelligence, read some of the classics. Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Shakespeare, Dickens, Thoreau, Emerson, Poe. Any certain genre or era of writing you're looking for? Serious reading or light reading?

Always go with a classic when in doubt. There's a reason they're so renowned. So many books I picked up as a kid expecting to be bored by and ended up being enthralled by.

Reading > Most Other Things

I was actually thinking of picking up some Shakespeare this morning but I was rushing on the way to work and didn't really get a chance to browse. I might try some Poe too. Not too sure on what I want. Alot of the "classic" novels i've never read.

Dan Brown does increase your intelligence.

I read his books and research the history, and the art.

Because of Dan Brown, I now have an appreciation for Bernini. I have spent hours reading about the apotheosis of George Washington and of Homer. I have researched the history of the Masons, Galileo, Da Vinci, and The Illuminati.

Dan Brown presents facts in a fast paced story. It may not be the actual book the you learn from (although I would argue that you do), but it makes you interested in topics you weren't interested in before.

Referencing historical events means nothing compared to delivering an evocative and important message like a writer like Hemingway or Orwell do.

I enjoyed Angels & Demons, quite a bit. I thought the Da Vinci Code was incredibly overrated though. Brown, for all of his knowledge, is an incredibly cold and unskilled writer. The stories he construct usually all follow the same formula. It's pulp fiction that takes itself too seriously.

The Informers

Listen to this man. No, strike that, read ANYTHING by Bret Easton Ellis. I'd recommend starting off with either Less Than Zero or The Rules of Attraction. Or American Psycho. Or really any of his work. Man is a genius.

Anything by Jack Kerouac is always worth checking out. The Dharma Bums may just be the best damn book ever written.

And as Murf's vague signature suggests, Camus is the tits as well.

Referencing historical events means nothing compared to delivering an evocative and important message like a writer like Hemingway or Orwell do.

I enjoyed Angels & Demons, quite a bit. I thought the Da Vinci Code was incredibly overrated though. Brown, for all of his knowledge, is an incredibly cold and unskilled writer. The stories he construct usually all follow the same formula. It's pulp fiction that takes itself too seriously.

You should read the new one. It's got quite a swerve and it breaks from the formula a bit. The descriptive language is better. Remember, he's a lawyer by trade. This is his fifth book, and his growth as a writer, as opposed to an amazing storyteller, is apparent.

And, you should read To Kill A Mockingbird. It's still my favorite book ever.

Can't go wrong with To Kill a Mockingbird.

Really, like I said before, any of the classics man. I credit all of the reading I did as a kid as the reason I was able to do well in school and why I'd consider myself an intelligent individual.

"My Life As A Traitor" - the story about Zarah Ghahramani & her life in Iran, how she was treated & her will to survive. This is a book that you must read!

Read Chad OchoCinco's new book, or this bad boy.

Nymag.com

Screech Writes ‘Saved by the Bell’ Tell-all

* 7/24/08 at 09:45 AM
* Comment 26Comment 26Comments

Courtesy of NBC
Sometimes a book deal comes along that you never knew you were waiting for, but, once it's announced, you realize it has been your secret wish all along. Which explains our reaction to the news that Dustin Diamond, whose high-pitched nerdy exploits as Samuel "Screech" Powers figured prominently in nearly thirteen (!) years of Saved by the Bell incarnations (plus that infamous sex tape), has jumped on the tell-all bandwagon. Behind the Bell, which Gotham Books preempted from Objective Entertainment's Jarred Weisfeld, promises to detail "sexual escapades among cast members, drug use, and hardcore partying," and for those of us who spent untold hours in our formative years memorizing "I'm So Excited" and the entire back catalog of Zack Attack, this is the greatest book deal in the history of the universe.

But Diamond, with an assist from veteran ghostwriter Alan Goldsher, will really strike pop-culture gold if he can answer our most burning question: What if Miss Bliss had moved to Bayside with the SBTB gang instead of Principal Belding? The course of television history might have been irrevocably altered. —Sarah Weinman

Dustin Diamond's "Behind the Bell" [Publishers Marketplace, subscription req'd]

Is Elizabeth Berkley's speed-infused dance among our Great Moments in TV Addiction Subplots? Is Saved by the Bell one of the Ten Shows From the Eighties We'd Actually Like to Revive? Is Screech one of our Ten Fictional Characters Who Must Die? Check out Vulture's complete TV coverage to read more!

If you're partial to historical fiction, then I suggest the novella FatherLand. I can't describe it without spoiling the book, though. Just take my word on this, it's a fan-fuckin'-tastic read.

I never got into the catcher in the rye.

I bet if I tried again, I would like it.

It starts at a boarding school, right?

If not, what famous classics start with kids at a boarding school and other stuff happens, possibly football, likely drinking.

I never got into the catcher in the rye.

I bet if I tried again, I would like it.

It starts at a boarding school, right?

If not, what famous classics start with kids at a boarding school and other stuff happens, possibly football, likely drinking.

A Separate Peace?

Catcher in the Rye does indeed begin at a boarding school.

A Separate Peace is wonderful as well.

It is a serparate peace. I've been trying to make a list of books I read the Cliff's Notes on in High School.

My last two years I was captain of the football and debate teams, and on the track team, with a full AP schedule. Cliff's Notes saved my ass.

It is a serparate peace. I've been trying to make a list of books I read the Cliff's Notes on in High School.

My last two years I was captain of the football and debate teams, and on the track team, with a full AP schedule. Cliff's Notes saved my ass.

Ha, good stuff. Well you should give A Separate Peace a read if you've ever got some free time (which you probably don't). It's a pretty quick read, and very good.

I need to settle into my new job. All the reading I've done this week is five hundred pages of real estate law.

I can quote title XIII of the equal rights amendment at this point.

I do like that from 68-74 I couldn't discriminate against a black man, but a black woman, or any woman, was fair game. It's almost like the Johnson administration forgot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back