Bobby "The Brain" Heenan Passes at 73

CyberPunk

The Show himself
WWE is saddened to learn that WWE Hall of Famer Bobby Heenan, regarded by many as the greatest manager in sports-entertainment history, has passed away at age 73.

I didn't have the opportunity of seeing him in his prime, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of the most iconic voices in the WWE. A perfect heel commentator and manager, his career spanned decades.

Brain: Jannety tried to dive through the window to escape! Did you see that?!
Gorilla: Are you blind!?!?!

He'll be missed.

I was gutted when I heard the news in the early hours of this morning here in the U.K.

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan truly is the greatest manager of all time, him and Gorrila Monsoon must go down as arguably the greatest announce team ever also.

When I was a kid I hated this guy which shows just how good he was at being a heel, I'll never forget seeing him in a "loser dresses as a weasel" match with the Ultimate Warrior.

Always finding a way for his "Family" to win and if they didn't win always having an excuse for them.

Rest well Brain, thank you for the memories.

Even at 73, and after battles with cancer, this still shocked me. I guess we can never imagine the greats of all time one day going away. I am still a little shocked this morning. Such a sad loss for the wrestling community. The only solace is that he and Gorilla are back where they both belong: together. Rest in peace to the greatest.

Probably one of the best manager in the history of wrestling. I still remember seeing him during the early days of hulkamania an how great he as as managing guys like andre, rick rude & king kong bundy. He made them look like superstars and made hogan look like a million bucks. He did the same thing for warrior later on.

When he transition from manager to full time commentator he just felt natural especially with gorilla monsoon.

My favorite moment was his commentary he did for the royal rumble 92. How he would be cheering for flair for the entire match and his reaction when flair finally won the match was priceless.

Sadly, he didn't have the same passion when he went to wcw and it showed in his commentary.

The world of wrestling lost probably one the greats . R.I.P BOBBY

When I heard that he'd fallen in May of last year and broke his hip, I honestly expected him to die shortly thereafter given that he'd had a lot of health issues that'd plagued him since the early 2000s. If I'm not mistaken, he'd battled cancer two or three times since the early 2000s and it was obvious that illness had taken a toll on Heenan during rare times in which he'd make appearances or do interviews.

For me, Heenan was just sheer joy on the screen and to listen to on commentary, especially with Gorilla Monsoon; they had the kind of chemistry that you simply just have to naturally have with someone, you can't manufacture it and you can't force it. Watching them interact during the days of Prime Time Wrestling never failed to keep me entertained when I was a kid. While Heenan didn't thrive as much in WCW, he was still really colorful and fun to listen to. Heenan was superb at making the sports entertainment aspect of wrestling genuinely entertaining.

This is very sad, One of the top 5 greatest wrestling stars of all time, He was best at everything he did, Greatest all time manager and greatest all time commentator and even greatest heel of all time, I could have listened to the guy all day and could carry even the most boring of matches with him just talking through it. Theres not many of my favourites I grew up watching left now.

Here was a man who was a great Manager throughout the AWA and the WWF. A great announcer with Gorilla Monsoon. Whether you called him "The Brain" or "The Weasel", there was no doubt he was entertaining. Sadly, another of the old school passes away. May he Rest in Peace.

My favorite Heenan moment was Wrestlemania 7. Macho Man had just lost to The Ultimate Warrior and Scary Sharri jumped in the ring and started beating up a defeated Savage when Elizabeth runs in for the emotional rescue. There was about 20 of my cousins/friends and family watching it on the dish at the time. The camera shows this woman with a weird hat on crying her face off at the reunion and Heenan belts out, "Her shoes are too tight!" And we all lost it laughing, it was perfectly timed in the sappy moment and that was Heenans delivery in a nutshell.

One of my favourites. Sad to hear even though it wasn't completely unexpected given his long term ill health

I was a young fan in the early 90s when Bobby was one of the most colourful personalities in the WWE. People hated and booed his heel persona- yet enjoyed it whenever he was onscreen because he was so entertaining and funny

On commentary I loved it when he was winding up Gorilla and being just plain annoying to him! You could tell they were great pals in real life... shame he didn't get on with Schivone too well in WCW

RIP Brain.
Legends never die

Dusty Rhodes: Go get em Hulkster!
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan: Yeah but who's side is he on?
Dusty Rhodes: Go get em-- What are you talking about?
Bobby "The Brain" Heenan: Who's side is he on?

Bobby's shining moment in wcw, exposing hogan for the snake oil salesman he was.

I really hope the first man you see in the gorilla position at the pearly gates is gorilla himself.

He was one of the greatest entertainers off all time, who used his talents to entertain the prowrestling world.

I remember when he was on an episode of Politically Incorrect, he had a hard time getting any comments in while the host and other guests kept pushing petty arguments. Every time Bobby snuck a thought into the banter, they'd all have to stop and smile for a moment. I remember one exchange between Bobby and Sting that went something like:

Bobby: I say we blame the parents for their kids behavoir and let ourselves off the hook.

Sting: We can't just blame the parents.

Bobby: Aw, who cares? They're not here to defend themselves, let's nail 'em.

Everyone loved you Bobby, thanks for helping us find ways to laugh at this crazy world.

I watched a bunch of Bobby Heenan's matches yesterday on YouTube. He was always entertaining and played the heel at the highest quality. The weasel suit was always fun. His witty commentating and his tactics as a manager that helped his wrestlers win Championships will never be forgotten. He was a legend that could do it all. He will be missed.

ec8994a8db2db628abad83dfd3a05ef7--bobby-heenan-wcw-wrestling.jpg

Heenan was superb at making the sports entertainment aspect of wrestling genuinely entertaining.
That was my favourite thing about him. He could excel in a comedy role, or being taken very seriously, from a kayfabe perspective, when managing a monster heel and getting the heat.

I had the great pleasure of meeting Bobby at Wrestle Con this year in Orlando. I didn't go up to him and bother him, being that I didn't have any money to give him. We didn't even speak to each other, but we made eye contact, and I know he saw the smile that put on my face. I know that he knew how much of an impact he's had on my life in that moment, and it's a moment I'll never forget.

Bobby Heenan was quite possibly the greatest all around worker in the history of the business. If you don't agree, find a better manager, commentator, heater, seller, or anything else when it comes to getting other talents over. Everyone came out better for having been involved(with or against) Bobby Heenan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back