BNB's Loss on RAW was.... "Best for Business"

L@RISANO

R.I.P Mustang Sally :( :( :(
Last night on RAW in one of the WWE WHC qualifying matches, Sheamus fought Bad News Barrett in a quite good match. At the end of it, Sheamus claimed a hard fought victory with a Brogue Kick out of nowhere to halt BNB's quickly building momentum since his in-ring return post-Wrestlemania 30.

Now, I do know many were not in agreement with BNB suffering a loss to Sheamus(whose character is 'stale', 'boring', etc...) but from a personal POV, I think the loss for BNB was for the better going forward, since I don't believe anyone expects him to win the World title at MitB, and the potential he could have by defending the IC title successfully against Top Quality challengers would be priceless going forward until he is ready to enter the Main Event scene.

If he won last night, then surely he would have been looking at a small cameo in the match, as there would be surely at least 3 Superstars with higher chances of winning the match, and then the 2/3 who are 'stale' as many people call it, would also have good showings as well.

By having an IC title defense instead, it gives the WWE an extra match. It gives the chance to keep building Barrett and the IC title(provided a worthy challenger steps up for the IC title at MitB, ofc) and it also proves that WWE is not going to let the US title usurp the IC title in terms of importance due to it being on Sheamus by having him in a virtual placeholder role in the Multi-man Championship match(much like Sheamus' appearance in the Elimination Chamber match pre-Mania).

As I said; with BNB out of the MitB Championship match...finding a worthy top class challenger for him and his title would surely be "BEST for Business", if the WWE is serious about elevating BNB and his current title going forward. Maybe one of Big Show/ Mark Henry can challenge BNB since they are doing nothing in any case and would prove a nice Challenge before putting him against someone else in an actual storyline type feud going into SummerSlam.

Personally, I'd rather that BNB continued losing until fans get it into their thick heads to stop cheering for the heel in a match.

It was a solid match, but Sheamus moving forward is the important thing.

Personally, I'd rather that BNB continued losing until fans get it into their thick heads to stop cheering for the heel in a match.

The fans can cheer for whoever they want. If everyone went by your "follow the orders of Creative" philosophy, the Austin phenomenon never would have happened. The fans cheered him as a face even when he was clearly heel, forcing the WWE to switch gears on how they booked him.

Unless you're under the age of 12, I don't see how you could just blindly go along and support the wrestler you are "supposed to" support.

It was a solid match, but Sheamus moving forward is the important thing.

Whilst I do agree with Heels not being cheered... I think the Main thing for a heel to get over is to be in programmes against Faces that are actually cheered by the fans...unfortunately that is few and far between as we can see in the current situation where with Punk gone, Bryan injured...bar a quick,ill-advised push for Hot Acts like Cesaro/Roman Reigns amongst a couple others...the only option is to go back to the tried and tested(which personally, I don't mind, but the majority of 'fickle' fans of today will).

Want to get heat on BNB?
They had loads of chances before Mania given his character(Punk Leaving, Bryan not in Rumble,etc.), and had he been aligned with the Authority in the role than Kane had...I am sure he would have been a worthy challenger for Daniel Bryan post-Mania had he been built up as the Director of Operations before the event without stepping into the ring....
Surely, with Bryan's injury, had the above been done, and Barrett with his good mic work and decent in-ring ability...he would have been an obvious and fresh choice for the title until Bryan returned from injury to resume and eventually overcome the odds once again.

The fans can cheer for whoever they want. If everyone went by your "follow the orders of Creative" philosophy, the Austin phenomenon never would have happened. The fans cheered him as a face even when he was clearly heel, forcing the WWE to switch gears on how they booked him.

Unless you're under the age of 12, I don't see how you could just blindly go along and support the wrestler you are "supposed to" support.

Again, as I said in the other post, if WWE actually bothered to build up proper face characters who get over with the fans, heels wouldn't be cheered as much they are.

EG: BNB and Bray Wyatt are supposed to be heels, but the programmes they get placed in are usually against Superstars who the WWE fans don't even care for much...so how exactly do they get over as heels?

Given the current roster...besides Daniel Bryan and the Shield, is there any other face that is over enough so that Popular Heels like BNB and Bray(See Bryan vs Bray in the cage pre-Mania) would get booed??

I am hopeful that by WM31; In addition to Bryan...the likes of Reigns, Cesaro and a couple others can get over as faces...it makes the storylines much more enjoyable as a viewer, no doubt.

No way, BNB should have been in main event, in the actual match. In my opinion, that would be way better for him than defending his title, because you just know he's only going to be defending against RVD again. Think of it this way, would you rather our IC Champ have a high profile match making it seem that the guy who holds the IC title could also use that belt to push themselves into the world title picture... or just another generic denfense against someone they just throw in there with him. The WWE hasn't carried about the midcard titles in a very long time.

If for no other reason, BNB seems to be on a good streak in terms of health. MITB would be just the kind of match to put him on the shelf again for another 6 months and he really can't afford that right now. That would be "bad for business".

IF WWE does go through with having a second MITB ladder match at the ppv, which is being reported is the case as of right now, then Barrett has a shot of being in that match. Reportedly, that match will be made up of "up and comers" on the roster while the WWE WHC ladder match will be for the top stars currently active on the roster. As a result, we could very likely see Barrett in this bout, possibly Seth Rollins, maybe Ambrose and/or Reigns, etc.

I would have personally preferred that Barrett got the win last night, I figured he was going to since he lost to Sheamus in a great match on Main Event not long ago. However, Barrett didn't come out looking weak to me at all. The only guy he's lost to in singles matches since becoming IC champ has been Sheamus and Sheamus is the other mid-card champ at the moment. While I agree that Sheamus' babyface character is stale, being in a traditional MITB ladder match with a guaranteed shot at the title fits more with where Barrett is in his career right now. Barrett's not ready to be WWE World Heavyweight Champion, so putting him in that particular ladder match wouldn't have done much for him. As of right now, he'd have probably no chance as he's only just started to get back on the right track within the past 5 or 6 weeks. It's too soon for Barrett to be going after the WWE WHC, so let's see if he can FINALLY have a strong run as Intercontinental Champion first. He's going in the right direction, at long last and for now, so let's just hope WWE stays on track with him.

IF WWE does go through with having a second MITB ladder match at the ppv, which is being reported is the case as of right now, then Barrett has a shot of being in that match. Reportedly, that match will be made up of "up and comers" on the roster while the WWE WHC ladder match will be for the top stars currently active on the roster. As a result, we could very likely see Barrett in this bout, possibly Seth Rollins, maybe Ambrose and/or Reigns, etc.

I would have personally preferred that Barrett got the win last night, I figured he was going to since he lost to Sheamus in a great match on Main Event not long ago. However, Barrett didn't come out looking weak to me at all. The only guy he's lost to in singles matches since becoming IC champ has been Sheamus and Sheamus is the other mid-card champ at the moment. While I agree that Sheamus' babyface character is stale, being in a traditional MITB ladder match with a guaranteed shot at the title fits more with where Barrett is in his career right now. Barrett's not ready to be WWE World Heavyweight Champion, so putting him in that particular ladder match wouldn't have done much for him. As of right now, he'd have probably no chance as he's only just started to get back on the right track within the past 5 or 6 weeks. It's too soon for Barrett to be going after the WWE WHC, so let's see if he can FINALLY have a strong run as Intercontinental Champion first. He's going in the right direction, at long last and for now, so let's just hope WWE stays on track with him.

Agreed.

If there is yet a match for the briefcase, then BNB would benefit lots more from winning that match and having the opportunity to cash in the briefcase at some point.

It would be brilliant if, for eg; Roman Reigns were to become the Champion at Wrestlemania with a golden moment for him, and suddenly, BNB, as the MitB holder cashes in to crash on Roman's party to setup a nice program beyond WM31....wishful thinking,I know. ;)

It made sense for Sheamus to win. If the WWE wants the IC title seem more important, then have Barrett defend it at MITB or any PPVs for that matter. The US title is the third ranked title, but it also happens to held buy someone better than Barrett in terms of in-ring work. Barrett just has a gimmick that's over right now. It's best for him to keep defending the IC title for now. Too bad KOTR isn't around because Barrett would have been the perfect choice to win it.

Whats the point of even doing a champion vs. champion gimmick in a qualifying match? Shouldn't the two currently-reigning champions in the company have an "easier" way into MIB than by fighting each other? You don't have two #1 seeds fight in the first round. Barrett should have been nowhere near the qualifying round, as it seems to be made of random match-ups anyway.

They could have spent RAW developing a new feud for BNB and the IC title.

I disagree with what you said. First of all, you mentioned that WWE could make one more match at the PPV with Barrett defending the title. On that note, they could make another match with Sheamus defending the title, so that point is negated.

On the more important things though, Barrett lost a match to Sheamus. Sure, it was a hard fought match, but he still lost. (Does Sheamus ever lose clean by the way?)

Let's assume that Barrett won that match, which would already be a decent statement, since he would give a clean loss to Sheamus, he would advance to the title match. Sure, he wouldn't win, but that doesn't mean he can't still the show. Remember Cody Rhodes from last year. He didn't win, but his performance was phenomenal and people cheered him and basically turned him face. They will obviously not make Barrett a face, but he can still get that reaction. After 25 minutes in the match, he uses the bull hammer on 3 guys, everyone is laid down and he goes to climb the ladder, only for the designated winner to toss him off and win. It would be such a great rub for Barrett.

If I was to book him for something great, I'd firstly have him defend the IC title against someone that could threaten Barrett, most possibly Ziggler. Give them 15-20 minutes to work an awesome match, maybe even make that a no DQ and let them use weapons or something. Basically, make Barrett seem really tired after the match.
Afterwards, he enters the ladder match, looking tired and all. He does what I said above. There he is. A great showing for Barrett who would get a lot of admiration from the crowd.
If you want to add more to the ladder match, you can either have Barrett lose the IC title to Ziggler earlier on. Fans might actually think that "oh, they took the IC title off him, maybe he goes on to win the WWEWHC". THAT would be good tv. After all, at the end of the day, if something like that happens, no one will remember that he lost to Ziggler, and even if that's not the case, he can just win the IC title back at the next PPV. Remember what Jericho did. He lost to HBK in that barberic match and then he slithered himself in the WHC scramble to win the WHC. They could almost do the same with Barrett, either having him come close or even pulling the trigger 100%.

Basically, simply the promos of Barrett giving bad news to the participants of the ladder match would be a win itself.

I disagree with what you said. First of all, you mentioned that WWE could make one more match at the PPV with Barrett defending the title. On that note, they could make another match with Sheamus defending the title, so that point is negated.

Indeed, they could have Sheamus face someone in a US title match and have Barrett in the MitB match. But, here's the point I was making...the IC title is/should be the default 2nd Title in the WWE with the WHC merged with the Main title.
Also, I am pretty confident that BNB would not be booked to win the WWE WHC in any case and and having him through such a demanding match and risking an injury when his momentum is increasing and he is more over than Sheamus is wouldn't make much sense. Better to give him a top quality challenger to make another successful title defense, whilst US Champion Sheamus, goes into the MitB Title match in much the same role as he did in the EC match for a small pretty insignificant placeholder role.
Now, had the MitB match been for the briefcase, which I'd say Barrett can most definitely carry at this point, then I'd be singing a different tune.

On the more important things though, Barrett lost a match to Sheamus. Sure, it was a hard fought match, but he still lost. (Does Sheamus ever lose clean by the way?)

Let's assume that Barrett won that match, which would already be a decent statement, since he would give a clean loss to Sheamus, he would advance to the title match. Sure, he wouldn't win, but that doesn't mean he can't still the show. Remember Cody Rhodes from last year. He didn't win, but his performance was phenomenal and people cheered him and basically turned him face. They will obviously not make Barrett a face, but he can still get that reaction. After 25 minutes in the match, he uses the bull hammer on 3 guys, everyone is laid down and he goes to climb the ladder, only for the designated winner to toss him off and win. It would be such a great rub for Barrett.

You have to realise that this match is for the title, which means the best available will participate. With Orton and Cena in it, in addition to Cesaro and probably Bray Wyatt(who has no feud atm)...there is very little chance of BNB actually putting on a show stealing performance, especially if the 7th participant is another top performer who will also need to be given focus, say perhaps, Roman Reigns, who like Barrett, wouldn't win it, but would also need to be given some spots to show his top booking(as he is getting now).

If I was to book him for something great, I'd firstly have him defend the IC title against someone that could threaten Barrett, most possibly Ziggler. Give them 15-20 minutes to work an awesome match, maybe even make that a no DQ and let them use weapons or something. Basically, make Barrett seem really tired after the match.
Afterwards, he enters the ladder match, looking tired and all. He does what I said above. There he is. A great showing for Barrett who would get a lot of admiration from the crowd.
If you want to add more to the ladder match, you can either have Barrett lose the IC title to Ziggler earlier on. Fans might actually think that "oh, they took the IC title off him, maybe he goes on to win the WWEWHC". THAT would be good tv. After all, at the end of the day, if something like that happens, no one will remember that he lost to Ziggler, and even if that's not the case, he can just win the IC title back at the next PPV. Remember what Jericho did. He lost to HBK in that barberic match and then he slithered himself in the WHC scramble to win the WHC. They could almost do the same with Barrett, either having him come close or even pulling the trigger 100%.

Basically, simply the promos of Barrett giving bad news to the participants of the ladder match would be a win itself.

For a guy who was shelved with injury for so long, and lost a load of momentum because of an injury...would you really risk him again when his latest IC reign is in its infancy and he is getting over his Bad News gimmick with the crowd? Seems a bit ill-advised to put him in such long matches doesn't it?

Again, it is clear that Sheamus and Alberto Del Rio are there because they are former World Champs and add pedigree to the match due to their past achievements. However, both will probably just be placeholder guys with minor spots who will around halfway brawl outside the ring or faraway from the ladder, and won't even be close when the belts are taken down.

Personally, I feel that Bray Wyatt lost a great deal of momentum in the LMS match at Payback...him surprising everyone and winning the WWE WHC by turning off the lights at the last minute when someone like Cesaro/Orton/Cena are close to removing the belts would be pure gold. Have the lights turn back on with Bray sitting in his Rocking Chair with the Belts in his lap, doing his song with Harper and Rowan(who could be booked to win the Tag titles at MitB anyways) standing next to him to end the PPV....no real celebration at winning the titles...just singing his song and laughing hysterically.
Would be a true Mark Out moment for me,personally. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back