BNB as Raw GM?

ShawnBronald

Pre-Show Stalwart
So Wade "Bad News" Barrett has had some bad luck in his career. What started out as a very promising career has been hampered by a string of unfortunate injuries. Even when he was healthy in the past, he had some trouble getting his character over. During his latest run, everything seemed to finally be clicking and the Bad News Barrett character was super over with the fans (and management) and he looked to be on his way to big things. Once again, the injury bug struck and he's now on the shelf for a while.

Yesterday, Santino Marella announced that his in-ring days were over and hinted at a possible role as GM. That got me to thinking, since Raw is currently without a true GM and The Authority, both on-screen and off-screen, seem to love Bad News Barrett, wouldn't he make the ideal General Manager of Raw? This is a great way to keep him relevant during his rehab process. He'd be like a cooler and more intimidating version of William Regal (who many consider to be one of the better GM/Commissioners of Monday Night Raw).

So what do you think? I can just imagine a couple wrestlers arguing in the ring and then BNB's music hits and delivers some bad news to them. This scenario is just too perfect and Barrett is the absolute best candidate for this role. I think I'll be incredibly disappointed if this doesn't happen soon.

I'd be ok with this. With Vickie, Maddox and Kane there were too many people in power. Now those three are gone, I'd be fine if Barrett temporarily steps in. If he is injured for a significant amount of time ( a few months) then this would keep him relevant/over.

Just having HHH and Steph might get boring. Indeed it would be overexposure of two pretty good heels and Barrett could help break that up. Barrett is a talented guy and has a lot of potential - they need to do what they can. Commentary is another option - similar to what Punk did- but Barrett might not necessarily be good at it. Delivering "bad news" to superstars would maintain his gimmick which is vitally important.

I'm against the idea of Bad News Barrett as General Manager. The "I'm afraid, I've got some bad News! hahaha" sounds good and funny if we hear it twice a week.
But if he becomes GM, he will inevitably interrupt wrestlers and make matches. And while interrupting, he will definitely use his catchphrase. It means maybe thrice per show... I fear it might get old and lose its appeal due to overuse.
So when he actually appears as a wrestler again, his dialogue will no longer have the appeal that it once had, and that would be some serious Bad News.

No. Wade has a lot left in him. Santino should be the GM of SD at the least. Plus, RAW is pretty much run by "The Authority"

I think it would be best for him to stay off screen while he recovers for injury, as the pop for when he returns will be pretty big imo. I think that's better than having them show up so often (like they're doing with Daniel Bryan).

Plus yeah, as was said above it could damage his catchphrase if he's appearing every week to give bad news. Better to keep it fresh for when he comes back and I'm really hoping he can push on. He's my favourite member of the current roster and although it's looking unlikely still has the potential to be a future main eventer.

No way... when he got hurt he was right on the bubble of being pushed to the main event and also being able to turn full blown face with the gimmick, which I think is where he has a chance of fulfilling his potential. Had this not happened, he'd have won MITB (the Kane inclusion was a clear substitute for it) and been immediately "against" the Authority for ruining their plans. You could see it on the last RAW before MITB when Trips introduced BNB that he loves what the guys does and he was signalling him as the planned winner.

As it stands he will get a monster face reaction when he returns whatever happens, so keep him off screen completely, no JBL and Cole Show, no return until the Rumble. Don't even tease his return. have for the first real time, either a numbers game against Reigns or only 3 in the ring when #30 comes out... Reigns, Rollins and Triple H himself... they can have their "back up plan" for #30 to play the numbers game, only for the clock to run down and "Triple H... I'm Afraid...." Watch the place come unglued...If theres a load of cronies in the ring Barrett and Reigns can "clean house before facing down on the final 2 of Rollins and Trips... if it's the 3, Barrett eliminates Trips... sure he can get eliminated for Reigns to win by Trips being a dick but he would be 100% over. Wrestle Trips at Mania, perhaps in a retirement match for Trips... you have your new main eventer alongside Reigns.

If you are going to do a GM at all, don't make it any kind of comedy or gimmick. Make it a Jack Tunney/Gorilla Monsoon. The ideal candidate is Steve "Sting" Borden. Have him come in under his real name as a "clean broom", the only man who makes decisions in the WWE, even above Trips and Steph as decreed by the board as he has no affiliations, he's the only guy for the job in their eyes cos he's the only guy who has never been in the WWE. For a year or more he sticks with it till he gets suckered into "abusing his power" and with his last act, signs his one WWE match in the face paint... and signals Sting has returned.

BNB would be the wrong choice, Santino would be the wrong choice... if not Sting then Jim Ross or dare I say it Mark Callaway stepping away from the Undertaker persona... his own name, American Badass look with Bandana and suit/leather = GM no one fucks with just like no one did with Tunney who made calls down the middle, often upsetting faces as well as heels.

No more comedy... Unless it's Regal... he can do it anytime in my book.

As a guy who hasn't ever really cared for Wade nor seen what it is people see in him I will admit that during this recent run I have enjoyed the BNB gimmick.

However there's no need for a GM on the show when The Authority is there. I can only assume that's why they got rid of Maddox.

Also like Smark Madden said hearing "I've got some bad news for you" once a show is plenty. Hearing it multiple times just dilutes it. I even got annoyed the couple of times that Stephanie and Hunter used it.

Let him take his time off to heal and come back.

It's not a bad idea though. It's just not built for longevity.

If were strictly looking for a GM to step in,i say give it to Sting.. To many times in the past,have GMs been made into comedy acts,when its supposed to be a serious role.. Sting would be someone,who would not be a comedy side act,he would be that of the old school variety,A Gorilla Monsoon or Jack Tunney.

Steve Borden would be someone who would not play favorites but play it right down the middle.. As far as Barrett goes,man its hard with him you know.. The guy is a huge talent,funny and wity,can go in the ring.. He is not a easy find,he is ME all the way..Has ME written all over him,he just cant stay injury free..

I say as well keep him of the Tele,let him heal up. Have him return depending on the severity of the injury either at Survivor Series or Royal Rumble.. Dont provide updates on him nothing.. Its not like were gonna forget about him,the BNB gimmick is pure genius..

I believe upon his return,he should pick up right where he left off.. Giving Bad News and delivering Bull Hammer Elbows

No. I am hoping we have seen the last of the Commissioner/Guesthost/Anonymous GM/GM. I'm going to miss him being on TV but not as a GM.

I would like it only if they had him paired up as co-GM with Teddy Long. "I'm afraid we got some bad news playa playa! This is now a TAG TEAM MATCH!"

In seriousness though, I wouldn't mind it as a short term thing to keep him on TV while he's hurt. Maybe if the Authority picked him to act on their behalf when they take their "Vacations". They seem to take one every three weeks or so.

It's an interesting idea. Seeing him act similarly to how Regal was when he was a GM could work and give him something to do while he recovers from his injury before he returns to in-ring action. The main problem I have with this is that they simply do not NEED any more GM's. There's nothing that a GM would do that Trips or Stephanie cannot easily do. Plus, it could make his catchphrase go stale if he used it too often. A better idea would be for him to go back to randomly delivering bad news promos from his podium until he recovers enough to be able to work a match. This way he can still get some heel heat, deliver his catch-phrase in the middle of potentially hilarious promos, and have momentum going into his in-ring return. "Bad News" to poke fun at the fans in that arena or whatever face might be working a match that night is better than "Bad News" regarding match stipulation announcements. I do agree though with ShawnBronald that Barrett as GM could be like a more intimidating version of Regal as GM. It would have been a better idea a few years back than now, however. GM's are currently not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back