• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BFG in Philadelphia: A Recipe For Disaster

OneTooManyPunts

Pre-Show Stalwart
I've been thinking a lot lately about TNA/Impact's decision to hold this years BFG event in Philadelphia. From a marketing, profit, and traditional stand point it is a smart move. Philly is one of those true pro wrestling towns, and it gives TNA/Impact an opportunity to make a statment in a part of the country where they have been pretty silent through out the years.

My question is this: Could Philadelphia turn on TNA/Impact? Philadelphia wrestling fans are notoriously vocal, and adamant about pro wrestling. TNA/Impact's tendency to have overbooked, run in filled matches could have Philly turn on them in heart beat if the fans feel they are being cheated.

Do you think the Philly crowd will be receptive to BFG, or do you think the hometown of hardcore wrestling is bad place for BFG to be?

Not sure if people are going to buy tickets just to shit all over the product. Bully Ray match should be a good gauge for the type of audience and their mood.

If the crowd is is a bunch of hardcore marks, TNA better have the ability to adjust the tone of the show or it could be a disaster. However, it could give TNA a new identity as a promotion. The crowd reaction is the most interesting thing about the show to me. I won't be buying but I am very interested to hear how the show progresses.

Non issue. This is not an episode of Impact, it's a PPV. The Hogan match is the one to keep an eye on though. If the show draws enough jaded ex-ECW/ROH fans who see this show as their big chance to embarrass Hogan and stick it to TNA, all bets are off. All you have to do is look at the WWECW show at Hammerstein in 2006. They went to that show specifictly to sabotage it and make a statement. (although I believe in that situation, what happened was justified since that was passed off as an ECW show, and those were ECW fans.)

I don't think I will be a recipe for disaster. I will be driving from NYC to Philly JUST to see Hogan fight Sting. A few years ago TNA had Lockdown held in this same exact venue. This is not the first TNA/IW ppv to take place here, and it probably won't be the last. I was also at the Hammerstein WWECW show. The fans didn't "sabotage" it. We had The Sandman, Tommy Dreamer, Justin Credible, as well as Punk's first televised match and an appearance from Kurt Angle. The show was great. The fans just really hated the fact that Big Show vs. Batista headlined an "ECW" show. We didn't sabotage it...we booed and chanted "change the channel" since we didn't think that match deserved to be on that card. You don't have fans pay top dollar to come to shows just to boo, and this Sunday will be the same. I'm happy Philly has the show this Sunday, instead of the hundredth ppv from Orlando.

Philly's a big city and most likely will be behind the product if they are going to see BFG, sure there will be a few members of the audience that won't like the product but that's to be expected.

The other thing your not thinking of is that Philly would only turn on the drop of the dime if EVERY match sucked the big one and in that case so would most fans from pretty much anywhere on the planet not just Philly, if the fans feel they are getting cheated they r gonna say something or just be completely silent either way its bad and it would take a HELL of a shitty show to do that, much worse than TNA has done.

I'd say the people going WANT to see BFG so I don't think they will shit unless they feel they need to. Besides if the show is good they will get a hot crowd which would be just what a top TNA event like Bound For Glory could use.

I can see them turning on Hogan big time... With their ECW roots, Hogan was public enemy #1 to them. Which of course could be good for him as he is meant to be heel... if he is booked to turn face though the crowd aren't going to help him.

The old ECW days there were always multiple signs at shows from the fans stating how much they hated WCW, and Joey Styles was always stirring the pot with his constant remarks against Hogan and company.

"Most guys over 6 foot don't even leave their feet brother.." - Styles doing commentary for ECW Champion Awesome vs. Tanaka

Lol You do realize they did a show there in 2009 for LockDown right? None of these fans you think were there, actually showed up. WWE, TNA all do shows in Philly and none of those hardcore ECW fans appear. Only a few smarks.

Hogan being booed is a problem.... why? HE IS A HEEL.

The show is nearly sold out. Total recipe for disaster.

What people don't seem to realize is TNA basically made this PPV an ECW even. Full Metal Mayhem? I Quit? Philly Street Fight? Get Abyss in a Monster Ball's match, and you would notice that they pull out on their extreme gimmicks. I'll by expecting a lot of "This is Awesome" chants than anything.

They might not be that receptive of BFG, but I still think places like this are important for TNA to try doing shows at because they need to see how other crowds react to their stars. They do far too many shows at the Impact Zone. They have a fanbase beyond that region and they need to be able to please all of them as best they can. No matter how harsh this crowd might be, it could be good for TNA to do a show this big in Philadelphia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back