Better in ring : Daniel Bryan or CM Punk?

chibet

Pre-Show Stalwart
Simply put, who do you think has the better in ring performances ? Both men come from an excellent indy background that has taken them around the world , at least i know DB does, not sure if punk is "world traveled" in the indies. However, they have similar histories of how they've garnered enough attention through the indies to be brought up to the big leagues. Since they're success I feel like more and more ROH stars are coming in as well (Cesaro, etc)

Both men have put on incredible matches , have great move sets and ring psych. , but what sets them apart? What makes cm punk better than bryan or vice versa ? I have to go with Daniel Bryan.

While cm punk can impress in the ring and on the mic better than 95% of wrestlers today, i feel he is missing something that bryan has. The ability to lead even the most mediocre wrestler to a GREAT match. Before Punk fans start ripping me apart and citing different matches, I will say that punk did a great job of leading cena through a couple of great matches. Bryan ,however, i believe does this with everyone he steps in the ring with. Lets use Ryback as a common denominator....bryans recent matches with him put over BOTH superstars and made some people start seeing ryback as a credible in ring performer. CM punk however, in my opinion, did not, and he had the ppv stage to do so. Lets look at cm punks mediocre matches with orton as well..... bryans raw main event with orton was absolutely amazing and I have yet to see ANY crowd mark out the way they did, and have been for DB since.

What do you guys think? Who can better lead mediocre wrestlers through matches while making them look legit? Who impresses you in the ring more and why ?

This Question is very easy to answer, for those that know wrestling!

DANIEL BRYAN EASY! GREAT EXECUTION, knows his moves well! He is one of the, if not the best WWE "WRESTLER".

Has anyone ever seen the ability of PRIMO COLON? This guy is so good!

cm punk is just overrated, HE IS BORING BORING BORING! SLOPPY SLOPPY< POOR EXECUTION!

Punk is a little better. Daniel's a better athlete and he's getting really good at working the crowd, but Punk has been doing it at an extremely high level for a couple of years now.

Daniel Bryan without a doubt, I don't think in a genuine interview Punk would disagree, as it is just a no contest. Punk is a very good wrestler and one of the best sellers in the biz, but Bryan has an ability to create chemistry with opponents which hasn't been seen in WWE since Shawn Michaels. He also always structures his matches to build to a big finish, extracting the maximum response from the crowd.

DANIEL BRYAN EASY! GREAT EXECUTION, knows his moves well! He is one of the, if not the best WWE "WRESTLER".

cm punk is just overrated, HE IS BORING BORING BORING! SLOPPY SLOPPY< POOR EXECUTION!

I agree with your pick but there is no way Punk is boring or sloppy in the ring, he's great, he just isn't Bryan.

I'm a huge CM Punk mark, but Daniel Bryan by far.

Every move Daniel Bryan executes is so clean and crisp, whereas Punk does things a little more sloppily. Not that its bad, but it sets him apart and he has his incredible mic work to fall back on so he doesn't necessarily be the best wrestler in the ring.

When I first saw CM Punk and Brian Danielson wrestle, it was in ROH. And at first, I was wondering why people were raving about Danielson so much. The first few matches I saw left going "He's good but not worth the raving like he's God."

But then i saw Danielson vs McGuinness in at the ROH event in the uk.....easily a 4 and a half star match, since then I looked over old matches of his and came to the conclusion that while Punk had more boxes ticked (ring work, mic work, look). Danielson was the better in-ring package.

Punk is not lacklustre by any means and for those that say he's sloppy i say, given his moveset, do you really want him to be super stiff and dole out concussions left and right?

As much as I like Daniel Bryan, I have to go with CM Punk.

Bryan relies too much on kicks, strikes, and the LaBell lock. Is that a knock on him? Absolutely not. I've seen his work in ROH and know he has a far more varied moveset then he uses in WWE. But looking at his work in WWE alone, which has been fantastic, he simply doesn't have the variety that Punk has developed. Further, he doesn't truly have a pinfall finisher, which is something you would expect from someone so explosive. When he does win by pinfall, more often then not it's from an inside cradle or a roll-up. Again, no knock on Bryan, as he's the hottest thing in the company right now, and deservedly so. But he's not a better wrestler then CM Punk. Overall entertainer? For me, yes. But wrestler, based on what each shows in WWE? It's CM Punk.

Punk is a guy who can hit you out of nowhere with both of his finishers, the Anaconda Vice and the GTS. The same can be said for the LaBell lock, but Punk's ability to transition to either the GTS or the Anaconda vice at any time makes him more of a threat to win a match. Punk can be slow and methodical with headlocks and swinging neckbreakers, or he can be explosive with the running bulldog and high knee in the corner, not to mention the already mentioned Anaconda Vice.

It's easy to compare the two, as they come from the same prototype of wrestling and use a similar variety of moves in terms of strikes and kicks. They both have an efficient top rope move-Bryan the diving headbutt, Punk the Savage elbow- that look flawless.

The difference for me is two things. One, Punk's finishing maneuvers. He has the GTS and the Anaconda Vice(although he doesn't use it terribly much), while Bryan, an explosive guy, relies too much on the LaBell lock and roll-ups to get victories. There's nothing wrong with how Bryan finishes matches, I just prefer Punks out-of-nowhere offense.

Second, Daniel Bryan, for all his abilities, wrestles 80% of the time at a frantic pace. It's a darn good one and he's not sloppy, but his gear is high octane most of the time. Punk is a wrestler's wrestler, working a slower pace when needed, and speeding up accordingly.

One really can't go wrong picking either man. Daniel Bryan is my pick and hope to win the MITB ladder match, because he's been entertaining me the most of anyone in the company for some time and delivering solid match after match. But if you're looking for all-around skillset, and the execution of it, the edge, however slight, goes to CM Punk for me.

When it comes down to sheer raw technical ability, then I think Bryan is the superior wrestler. Bryan is someone who has been damn near fanatical when it comes to his training and honing his craft, especially when it comes to technical wrestling. From what I understand, Bryan is someone that does genuinely spend a good amount of personal time working on honing his abilities to keep sharp. When it comes to technical wrestling, I see Bryan as the stronger guy. Not that Punk isn't a good technical wrestler, I don't buy into that bunk at all, but so much of Bryan has always revolved around his technical skills whether working for WWE or not.

As far as the aspect of telling a story goes, I have to give the edge to Punk in this. Maybe it's because we've seen Punk in more big match spots than Bryan thus far, but Punk is fantastic when it comes to telling a story in the ring. If Bryan is inferior here, then I don't think it's by much as he's really developed a strong reputation in WWE for being able to put together killer matches, as has Punk for that matter.

In terms of overall athleticism, it's hard to say. When you compare the two of them, Bryan has the more "traditionally" muscular physique and build. Both of them, however, give me the impression that they spend a TON of time working on their cardio, which is VASTLY important when you consider that they're not big guys who rely on raw power coupled with a bodybuilder type of look. Punk has a more "normal" and "average" build than Bryan does, but don't let that fool you into thinking that he's not athletic. If you watch the CM Punk: Best in the World DVD compilation; Punk talks about altering his diet to, generally speaking, more of a vegan/vegetarian diet like Bryan. Bryan is no longer strictly vegan because he developed an intolerance to soy that started to play hell with him and simply wasn't able to find enough non-soy based vegan food out on the road. He eats a little meat, but it's still mostly a vegan/vegetarian diet. As a result, both guys are, quite probably, extremely damn healthy. So yeah, when it comes to athleticism, I'd have to say that they're about equal.

At the end of the day, when you factor in all the various little variables on what makes someone a good in-ring pro wrestler, it might be too close to call in my eyes.

Punk is a little better. Daniel's a better athlete and he's getting really good at working the crowd, but Punk has been doing it at an extremely high level for a couple of years now.

Are you on fucking crack? I am a fucking Cm Punk fan, but at least i can admit his flaws..

Can cm punk carry a match with bad wrestlers (darren young, kane, big show)?
no he cannot, but daniel bryan CAN.

can cm punk execute moves near perfectionally?
no, but daniel bryan can.

can cm punk run across the ring 5 times and circle around opponents?

is cm punk a better technician?
no but daniel bryan is..

how can u say cm punk is better in the ring, are u delusional? do u even watch their matches? daniel bryan has more intensity in his punches. cm punk executes his diving elbow so sloppily.. he executes his running knee sloppily, gts sometiems MISSES, and he is pretty slow in the ring. he gets tired easily

As much as I like Daniel Bryan, I have to go with CM Punk.

one of the most ignorant posts ever.. this is why you piss me off so much.
Bryan relies too much on kicks, strikes, and the LaBell lock. Is that a knock on him? Absolutely not. I've seen his work in ROH and know he has a far more varied moveset then he uses in WWE. But looking at his work in WWE alone, which has been fantastic, he simply doesn't have the variety that Punk has developed.
Variety? Cm punk, all he does is use his knees.. at least with daniel bryan he relies on his speed. cm punk is just painfully slow to watch in the ring. dont be delusional and dont fucking ASSUME things. ARE U FUCKING ******ED???
Further, he doesn't truly have a pinfall finisher, which is something you would expect from someone so explosive. When he does win by pinfall, more often then not it's from an inside cradle or a roll-up. Again, no knock on Bryan, as he's the hottest thing in the company right now, and deservedly so. But he's not a better wrestler then CM Punk.
He is a better wrestler than cm punk.. dont be delusional. can daniel bryan carry matches with big show? YES HE FUCKING CAN. can cm punk? no he cannot. daniel bryan can make anybody look good, cm punk cant.
Overall entertainer? For me, yes. But wrestler, based on what each shows in WWE? It's CM Punk.
are u fucking serious? cm punk is theo ne with better promos and better physique (althoguh it isnt saying MUCH because both their physiques suck donkey balls).. cm punk also has more charisma, daniel bryan has a goofy gimmick.. cm punk can actually be taken seriously and is a massive draw. please do not be so delusional.
Punk is a guy who can hit you out of nowhere with both of his finishers, the Anaconda Vice and the GTS. The same can be said for the LaBell lock, but Punk's ability to transition to either the GTS or the Anaconda vice at any time makes him more of a threat to win a match. Punk can be slow and methodical with headlocks and swinging neckbreakers, or he can be explosive with the running bulldog and high knee in the corner, not to mention the already mentioned Anaconda Vice.
what? cm punk is explosive? yeah fucking right man.. hes slow as fuck in the ring. neckbreakers are not anything special. runnig bulldow is nothing special, running knee is also sloppy as fuck, it doesnt look legitimate.
It's easy to compare the two, as they come from the same prototype of wrestling and use a similar variety of moves in terms of strikes and kicks. They both have an efficient top rope move-Bryan the diving headbutt, Punk the Savage elbow- that look flawless.
ARE U FUCKING SERIOUS? DID U JUTS SAY CM PUNK'S DIVING ELBOW LOOKS FLAWLASS???? OH my fucking god.. are u on crack/ seriously u dont know how much i just want to punch u in the fucking face right now. do u even watch cm punk's matches? compare his fucking diving elbow to SHAWN MICHAEL's diving elbow. big difference. shawn michaels are flawless, not cm punk's.. cm punk just botched it against randy orton this week. i am really struggling to see if u are delusional or really just plain stupid. cm punk's diving elbow is not even close to flawless. seriously, give me one video showing cm punk's elbow and tell me its flawless.
The difference for me is two things. One, Punk's finishing maneuvers. He has the GTS and the Anaconda Vice(although he doesn't use it terribly much), while Bryan, an explosive guy, relies too much on the LaBell lock and roll-ups to get victories. There's nothing wrong with how Bryan finishes matches, I just prefer Punks out-of-nowhere offense.
punk's out of nowhere offense? lol.. you make it sound good when it is not. trust me, his offense isnt that good. hes not even that fast and he wouldnt look legit in a match with brock lesnar. daniel bryan relies on his SPEED and high flying moves. to be honest that is his top strength, while cm punk doesnt have that much speed. he seems really tired in the ring like halfway through the match and his offense just doesn't look good.. his signature moves, half of them are sloppy, even his finisher is sloppy. the GTS can NOT be hit out of nowhere. u need to carry them and lift them down.. an example of OUT OF NOWHERE and INSTANT is shawn michael's finisher. shawn michael can sweet chin music someone who is flying towards him, can cm punk just hit the gts when someone is flying? thats right, he cant. thats right.. and anyways, cm punk always misses his gts.. it seems like it never hits the person. the anacnoda voice is the only legit finisher he has, and he barely uses it.
Second, Daniel Bryan, for all his abilities, wrestles 80% of the time at a frantic pace. It's a darn good one and he's not sloppy, but his gear is high octane most of the time. Punk is a wrestler's wrestler, working a slower pace when needed, and speeding up accordingly.
cm punk's pace is TOO slow.. if youre going to have a bad physique, u at least need fuckign good in ring skills to back it up man. but cm punk doesnt have the in ring skills. he doesnt have the speed, the intensity, the executino. his punches look weak also. his kicks look weak. he kicks them on the back, but he doesnt seem to use his strong part of his leg, he uses like his ankle to hit them. it really doesnt look good.
One really can't go wrong picking either man. Daniel Bryan is my pick and hope to win the MITB ladder match, because he's been entertaining me the most of anyone in the company for some time and delivering solid match after match. But if you're looking for all-around skillset, and the execution of it, the edge, however slight, goes to CM Punk for me.
skillset? his fucking moveset, half of it isnt executed properly.. his gts barely hits people. are u on crack? can u plz watch wrestling?? seriously, what have u been fucking watching? ur posts fucking piss me off so much.. u fucking piss me off so much.

I agree with your pick but there is no way Punk is boring or sloppy in the ring, he's great, he just isn't Bryan.

I agree with the person you quoted, tho he's not boring, Punk is sloppy compared to Bryan and compared to what he was b4 he returned the last time. His "martial arts" looks uncoordinated, his kicks are just flailed, his elbow drop look awfull and his overall look is Zombie state understand he suffers from ensomnia, i've suffered with that on and off for aslong as i can remember in my 40yrs on this earth (as did my father and grandfather) and it sucks, he needs to seek some help for that and not in the form of sleep drugs they don't work I know first hand.

as someone else said a few things i will give Punk, he tells a better story in the ring, doesn't just go hell for leather in bursts like Bryan does and he looks more like a legit main eventer.

Bryan is crisper, much quicker, and is more entertaining overall. IMO
he's like Crhis Benoit/Dynamite Kid but with an engaging personality .

Daniel Bryan is a way Better In ring Wrestler Then Cm Punk, He's a Great High Flyer, Technical Wrestler, and he is great On the Mic. I'm Just happy there Finally giving him the push that he deserves. I Mean Don't get me wrong Him and Kane were a great tag team one of the best in a long time but i think Kane was holding him back. It's Daniels time to shine and i think right now is the best time to show it.

Bryan is way better, he's more of a technician, he knows more holds and submissions, he is more acrobatic, he's got better conditioning (not to mention better on the mic, more charisma and more over). Punk has his kicks, a good suicide dive and his submission but beyond that his moves are pretty boring and he botches almost every GTS because he's too weak. WWE has even started cutting to another angle mid GTS because it's so sloppy.

Daniel Bryan is a way Better In ring Wrestler Then Cm Punk, He's a Great High Flyer, Technical Wrestler, and he is great On the Mic. I'm Just happy there Finally giving him the push that he deserves. I Mean Don't get me wrong Him and Kane were a great tag team one of the best in a long time but i think Kane was holding him back. It's Daniels time to shine and i think right now is the best time to show it.

Bryan is bland on the Mic more often then notand the writers are making him look like an insane "dwarf" to draw a parallel with one of Bryan's recent promos

This was always going to start an IWC fanboy flame war. It only took 7 or 8 posts, that's a lot more than I thought it would.

Ahem. Anyway, as has been said a couple of times already, it's a difficult one to call. It's clear how much work Daniel Bryan has put into his in-ring skills. The man is as close to Bret Hart as I've ever seen in terms of being precise and clean with his moves. He's the only veteran member of the WWE roster that, off the top of my head, I don't think I've ever seen him botch. Even the likes of Michaels and Jericho had the occasional screw-up in their days, but I've never seen Daniel Bryan be anything other than perfect in executing his moves in the ring. And I don't count that "stinger" that he got a couple of weeks ago, since it was up to Orton to protect him on that Suicide Dive.

Bryan has a fantastic repertoire of counters, submissions and strikes that make him so much fun to watch. While his TV matches follow a formula, what WWE matches don't? His PPV matches are usually unpredictable and so much fun to watch. He also has a next gear unlike anyone in the WWE, as we saw in his feud with a Shield. When Bryan really turns it on, he's insane.

CM Punk, on the other hand, is a different kind of beast. He doesn't have the athleticism or range of moves and counters that Bryan has, but he has a mind that just understands how wrestling works. He's more of a Triple H to Bryan's Bret Hart. He works a crowd and paces a match fantastically. The match with John Cena at Money in the Bank had some of the best storytelling I've seen in a long time, and I don't mean the build up angle, I mean the actual match itself. Like anyone with his kind of charisma, Punk is a showman through and through. He's an entertainer, a superstar, despite wanting to be seen as an old-school wrestler. Don't get me wrong, he's a sound technical wrestler, but that's not his style as much as the IWC seems to think it is.

So, in the end, it depends what you're looking for in your matches. The crisp, clean precision and technical wrestling of Daniel Bryan or the exciting showmanship and enthralling storytelling of CM Punk. Personally, I'm more of a fan of the CM Punk mold of wrestler because that's the kind of wrestling I grew up with in the Attitude Era.

I will say as far as in-ring work I would go with CM Punk, simply because he can be a great worker (just in the sense of the athleticism and not including that "ring psychology" crap that folks like to throw around) and a great entertainer in the ring.

Daniel Bryan on the mid-card gave great performances in a purely athletic sense. But when you get to be a main-event guy like he is, you have to do things like do move that the crowd will chant to, dramatize things a little more, and focus more on (as much as I hate the term) in-ring psychology. In the process of doing this more, Daniel Bryan's matches have lost that indy-riffic quality that got him to where he is at, since part of his charm was how much of an indy hero he is.

Are you on fucking crack? I am a fucking Cm Punk fan, but at least i can admit his flaws..

Can cm punk carry a match with bad wrestlers (darren young, kane, big show)?
no he cannot, but daniel bryan CAN.

can cm punk execute moves near perfectionally?

can cm punk run across the ring 5 times and circle around opponents?

is cm punk a better technician?
no but daniel bryan is..

how can u say cm punk is better in the ring, are u delusional? do u even watch their matches? daniel bryan has more intensity in his punches. cm punk executes his diving elbow so sloppily.. he executes his running knee sloppily, gts sometiems MISSES, and he is pretty slow in the ring. he gets tired easily

Shhhhh! Grown-ups are talking here, CmPunker.

I agree with the person you quoted, tho he's not boring, Punk is sloppy compared to Bryan and compared to what he was b4 he returned the last time. His "martial arts" looks uncoordinated, his kicks are just flailed, his elbow drop look awfull and his overall look is Zombie state understand he suffers from ensomnia, i've suffered with that on and off for aslong as i can remember in my 40yrs on this earth (as did my father and grandfather) and it sucks, he needs to seek some help for that and not in the form of sleep drugs they don't work I know first hand.

as someone else said a few things i will give Punk, he tells a better story in the ring, doesn't just go hell for leather in bursts like Bryan does and he looks more like a legit main eventer.

Bryan is crisper, much quicker, and is more entertaining overall. IMO
he's like Crhis Benoit/Dynamite Kid but with an engaging personality .

Yeah I agree, did you not read my posts? I disagree that Punk tells a better story than Bryan though, just watch the way Bryan structures his matches, Punk just generally gets given more time. All I was saying was that Punk is still a good wrestler, which he is, easily in the top 5 in the company. I just think that Bryan is in the top 5 in the world, arguably at the top of the list.

I will say as far as in-ring work I would go with CM Punk, simply because he can be a great worker (just in the sense of the athleticism and not including that "ring psychology" crap that folks like to throw around) and a great entertainer in the ring.

Daniel Bryan on the mid-card gave great performances in a purely athletic sense. But when you get to be a main-event guy like he is, you have to do things like do move that the crowd will chant to, dramatize things a little more, and focus more on (as much as I hate the term) in-ring psychology. In the process of doing this more, Daniel Bryan's matches have lost that indy-riffic quality that got him to where he is at, since part of his charm was how much of an indy hero he is.

are u fucking kidding me?? do u really think cm punk is better in the ring? he is fucking slow and sloppy in the ring.. daniel bryan, however, can carry matches with pretty much anybody. seriously, how are people denying this? it really baffles my mind..

Shhhhh! Grown-ups are talking here, CmPunker.

are u fucking kidding me?? do u really think cm punk is better in the ring? he is fucking slow and sloppy in the ring.. daniel bryan, however, can carry matches with pretty much anybody. seriously, how are people denying this? it really baffles my mind..

That's pretty mean. But I agree about Daniel Bryan being a better wrestler in every aspect than CM Punk.

And lol @ Cmpunker for trying so hard to cover up his favoritism. It must be eating him up inside to admit that Daniel Bryan's the better wrestler.

this is REALLY easy to answer. now while CM Punk is a great wrestler and yes, he's great there's NO doubt there, Daniel Bryan almost has no flaws at all in the ring, so it's Bryan from a pure in ring standpoint. CM Punk is great, but Bryan is very great, one of the best in the ring. now those who say Punk cant carry a wrestler, i kinda disagree. i am not saying he will make the worst look great, but he will put on an at least average match with a bad wrestler, but i say Bryan's better because from a pure in ring standpoint, he can put on a good match with a bad wrestler. with that said, Punk's got the whole package. i think Punk's a better wrestler with his mic work and in ring skills, but just in ring, it's Bryan as he knows how to make his kicks look real and has more submission holds and makes his counters and his holds look real and painful, but i think both are great or in Bryan's case very great in the ring and both in a match together will put on a classic....i doubt we ever see a WWE or World title match at Wrestlemania with these two, but if there is ever one, it would easily be a match of the night contender with time.

PLEASE cm punk, STOP trying to do that elbow of top rope! It looks HORRIBLE!~ you have no leg power, or torso muscles, something is way off! IT LOOKS SO SO ACKWARD!

Macho Man Randy Savage and HBK did PERFECT ELBOWS everytime! cm punk, you are no where NEAR, not even in Same Planet, where their BALL PARK is at! cm punk is so sloppy, and poor execution! VERY BORING ON MIC, and just copies stuff, UN-ORIGINAL! I've been a Fan since 1980, and I've SEEN THE VERY BEST! THE STEAMBOAT's, FLAIR's, RUDE's, Hennigs, Hart, HBK, Savage, Martel, Guerrero, etc.....

While CM Punk can produce 5-star matches even on the biggest stage, he can be sloppy, slow and sometimes his stance seems a bit dorky. There is something "off" about his ring work. Daniel Bryan is the better wrestler. Heck, I can even go as far as to say that he is the best wrestler in the world today.

Daniel Bryan has a wide range of moveset whether it is on striking, grappling, and even high flying. He can chain his moves from one hold to another. He can counter his opponents that makes you say "wow" unlike any other. His missile dropkicks are the very definition of a "missile". He is the best technician and without a doubt, the best in-ring performer.

CM Punk is good, but he is nowhere near Daniel Bryan.

This question shouldnt need to asked...anybody that says CM Punk needs to stop the love fest and be real

Bryan is 1000 times better in the ring than Punk...like its not even close....I dont think Punk is that great, I think that people get his mic skills confused with his wrestling ability. He is nonathletic and very sloppy. He has the worst elbow drop I have ever seen. Constantly botches moves...even in his best matches, watch the MITB match with Cena and count how many times Punk messes up. Bryan is a natural athlete and his matches flow smoothly. IMO Punk isnt even second best in WWE as far as wrestling and shouldnt even be the one being compared to Bryan here.

For now its CM Punk! Daniel Bryan no doubt has all world ability and in time will be better than CM Punk. Daniel Bryan wrestles at 100,000 miles per hour punches kicks and missile drop kicks,and Yes Locks. Is that style boring? Hell no but if u have ever seen ROH Daniel Bryan has so much more in his arsenal. Daniel can beat you a 1000 ways.

CM Punk wrestles at a more controlled slower pace though. Punk also has all world ability,he can hit his finishers GTS and the Anaconda Vice anytime. Punk is for right now a better story teller in the ring,hell he has been doing it longer than Daniel has. But technical wise and athletic wise Daniel is better. You can tell Daniel loves his craft and probably practices it day in and day out just to keep sharp! DB in time though,will be better

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back