• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Upset?

Best Upset?

• 123 Kid over Razor Ramon (RAW 93)

• Owen Hart over Bret Hart (Wrestlemania X)

• Barry Horowitz over Skip (RAW 95)

• DDP over Randy Savage (Spring Stampede 97)

• Mysterio over Nash (Nitro 99)

• Jericho over HHH (RAW 00)

• Kurt Angle over SCSA, Rock, HHH, Taker & Rikishi (Armageddon 00)

• Jericho over Austin/Rock (Vengeance 01)

• Hurricane over Rock (RAW 03)

• Orton over Benoit (Summerslam 04)

• Jeff Hardy over HHH (Smackdown 01 or Armageddon 08 or Both)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wolf Pac

Mid-Card Championship Winner
My pick goes to Owen vs. Bret. This match established Owen as a singles wrestler and got him out of Bret's shadow. Not only did Owen pull off a great counter to win but he pulled off a great match with his brother.

P.S I know Kurt was the WWF Champion when he had the Hell in a Cell and he had beaten half of the guys before the match but nobody really thought Kurt was going to retain, so it counts as an upset in my book.

I agree if you're talking about Bret Hart vs Owen at WMX because i never saw their cage match at Summerslam. That match is my all time favorite from top to bottom. You got see great technical wrestling, storytelling, and what should've been a passing of the torch to Owen. How Owen never became world champion after that match is beyond me. The finish to match was great and unexpected unlike today's matches where every win has to come after a finishing maneuver. I really wish superstars today would look at that match and begin coming up with new creative finishes.

I voted for Orton vs Benoit at SummerSlam 04. Out of all the upsets on the poll, very few were with the title on the line. For the ones that were, I feel like the underdogs were barely underdogs compared to how much of an underdog Randy Orton was at the time. They took a big gamble putting the title on the 24 year old star and them turning him face the next night. It was the perfect way to create a top face, and it worked he was over as fuck. The problem was, he sucked on the mic as a face (he still does) and was a complete asshole backstage. That being said, the match itself was actually pretty good and I was completely surprised to see Orton win against Benoit, who was the top guy in the whole company that whole year and that defeated Triple H over and over that year.

Shelton Benjamin vs HHH Raw 2004?

My pick is jericho beating rock and austin in the same night, without a doubt the biggest upset ever. He beat two icons back to back, he became the 1st ever undisputed champion in history. Nobody saw it coming, the crowd was shocked, they were not cheering or booing, they were silent. It was one of those OMG moment.

i picked other. my choice was eddie guerrero vs brock lesnar at NWO 2003. i didnt think eddie could pull it off, especially against brock lesnar. but he did. and with that crowd, his family there, and the celebration the following smackdown! it made it even more special. :lmao:

Horowitz wins!!!! Any match Barry won was an upset, including hakushi. He jobbed for so long, losing every match convincingly and finally beat skip, how does anything even compare to him and his losing streak. Like I said.... Horowitz wins!!!

The 123 Kid over Razor Ramone had to be the biggest upset; no it wasn't for a title, but it was something that came from nowhere. It jump started a career of a jobber to mid card status. Not only that it turned out to be a great feud, and it kinda began the trend of smaller wrestlers getting a push in the land of the giants in which the WWE used to be.

my pick was The 123 Kid Waltman had so many names in the WWF he never won a match until he beat Razor Ramon on Monday Night Raw in 1993 in a shocking upset that brought the crowd to its feet and the next week he beat Ramon again it was an awesome sight to see.

I voted for the hell in a cell match since Kurt wasn't too much of a star back then.

He was a relatively young Guy and had only been in WWE a year. So it was surprising to see a new Guy come into the main event scene. In the end angle came out to be one the biggest stars I. WWE after going over 4 others and one mid card guy

I had to go with Jericho vs HHH on Raw, it was a huge upset that was set up brilliantly and it began the push that led him to become a top dog in the company and the Undisputed champion. Jericho talked HHH into putting his title on the line, had the APA stand at ringside to help watch his back and won a match that literally nobody expected him to win. Sure later the ref reversed the decision so he wouldn't get murdered by HHH but Jericho still beat HHH in one of the greatest upsets ever and it began his rise to the top. As a Jericho mark this was one of my favorite moments in WWE history, not only was it important to his career but it was one of my favorite of his matches to watch, Y2J all the way!

For me, it's a close one between Horowitz and 1-2-3 Kid. But it has to land on the Kid. It launched the career of Waltman, it came from nowhere, but more importantly it made Raw absolutely must see TV. You never knew what would happen on Raw! Everyone else on this list was already an established superstar when these upsets happened. The Kid was seen for months leading up to it jobbing all over the place and then suddenly BAM! Mid Card.

for me it would definately be sheamus over cena from tlc i thought there was no way sheamus was walking out with the title and he did and FAIRLY!? cena very seldum looses without a interference or DQ or getting screwed

I picked Mysterio over Nash. As soon as I read the title, thats the match I thought of. I was a little worried that it wouldn't even be considered since it wasn't a high profile match, plus WCW doesn't really get shown in a good light too often on here, but this upset caught me completely off guard and actually made me believe Mysterio could upset anyone for any title from then on out.

I'd say DDP over Savage... that was out of nowhere and the promo he cut the next night pretty much confirmed that I wasn't the only one who didn't see it coming... But it is what helped launch DDP to main event status and made him one of the guys who WCW fans got behind against the NWO... these were all good choices and damn good job of history man... but yea, that is my pick there.

Wait, were missing some good ones. Now Rey Mysterio vs. Kevin Nash. Remember watching that. And yeah I was kinda convinced Wrestling was fake. But it was real to me at heart. And oh yeah Barry Horowitz did beat somebody. Skip. But if skip woulda beaten somebody would that be an upset too? Hamburgurler beating the Scorpion King was classic, as well as 123 Kid beating Razor Ramon. A match which Catapulted his career. One of my favorite Matches.

But what about Shelton Benjamin Beating Triple H.
Or Rey Mysterio Beating Shawn Michaels.
Marty Jannetty Beating Shawn Michaels. 1993.
D-Lo Brown beating Triple H back during the days of the Nation Of Domination.
Billy Gunn beating Kane in the 1999 King Of The Ring Finals.
Reverend D-Von Pinning Triple-H.
Freddie Joe Floyd beating Justin Hawk Bradshaw-aka, JBL.
Jeff Hardy winning the IC Title from Triple-H back in 2001 on Smackdown.
Scotty 2 Hotty defeating Dean Malenko for the Light Heavyweight Championship.
Stone Cold upsetting the world and defeated Yokozuna at Summerslam 1996 after the ring collapsed.

You see even some greats even scored big upsets or put someone over, but my favorite upset of all time was when Bob "Spark Plugg" Holly beat Owen Hart on Monday Night Raw in front of his home crowd in Mobile Alabama. Yeah and Sparky Plugg, was next to Barry Horowitz when it came to Jobbers. So yeah think about it. The 2nd best Jobber defeated the greatest superstar to never win a WWF/E Championship.

"La Parka" over Randy Savage or "Ciclope" winning the battle royal to challenge Jericho for his cruiserweight title.

You want pops? You want stunners?

Watch the video of "La Parka" nailing Savage with a Diamond Cutter and then throwing off his mask! or "Ciclope" shaking hands with another cruiserweight who steps over the ropes to give him the win, taking off his mask to reveal STINKO MALENKO!

But of the ones you listed I'm going to go "tie" between Jericho over HHH for the belt on Raw and Rey over Nash on Nitro.

The Jericho over HHH one needs no explanation. That was probably one of the last times I genuinely was surprised enough to care about something that happened on a Monday Night. Rey over Nash though...wow. I was always more of a WCW guy so this had major appeal for me. I am one of the few who actually likes Nash I guess, but truth be told the man rarely did the job. Heck, he was the man who beat Goldberg! When Rey went over him I was stunned. It completely changed Rey Mysterio's career and launched him into real main event status. He owes his career in WWE today to the fact that Nash jobbed to him in WCW.

People forget that until this, cruiserweights rarely broke out of the lower-midcard. They rarely fought anyone but other cruiserweights and WCW surely wasn't getting behind them for big pushes. That's no knock on WCW though because Vince thought even less of them than WCW did. But after that Nash match, Mysterio was catapulted. Another "almost" on here was when Rey Mysterio got the lottery number to face Ric Flair for the world title on Nitro and almost won the strap. That huge moment was also owed to Nash putting him over.

everyone keeps mentioning rey vs. nash, but the way that was booked it seemed everyone knew rey was gonna pull one out so that was not a shocker to me.
for me its a toss up between cena/hhh at WM and orton/benoit at SS.
even when cena had trips poised to tap, we all thought 'no way he is gonna put this guy over' even the crowd didnt believe it, thats why they popped so huge when hhh finally tapped, even though they had been booing cena all night, and heavily.

and the orton match, wow, i still remember the utter shock, benoit had beaten hhh, hbk, and kane on ppv clean in the months prior so i think everybody thought this would be a cake walk. i was a (still am) HUGE benoit fan but that was even a mark out moment for me when he hit the rko out of nowhere at the end. great match too.

y2jundisputed.jpg

I think this is a very simple question to answer. It has to be the night the Icon of Raw and the Icon of Smackdown both suffered defeat at the hands of the First Undisputed WWF and WCW World Heavyweight Champion, Y2J, Chris Jericho. Being the underdog in a 4 man tournament is one thing, but beating out the two favorites of the match is something else. I’ve said this before elsewhere, but Ric Flair can’t say he beat Sting and Lex Luger in the same night. Macho Man Randy Savage can’t say he beat Hulk Hogan and Ultimate Warrior in the same night. For the younger WZers, it’s like taking the Top Heel today, whoever you believe it is, and having them beat Super Cena and Bat Orton in the same night. Vengeance 2001 is by far the PPV that held the greatest upset ever!!

angle_arm2000.jpg

Kurt Angle defeating Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock, Triple H, Undertaker & Rikishi at Armageddon Hell In A Cell is a very very close second place for me. 6 Superstars in a HIAC match is an extremely difficult match to win. Going in as Champion and walking out as Champion against 5 other Superstars, 4 of which are former World Champions, is an incredible accomplishment. Then again, it’s Kurt Angle, it’s true, it’s damn real!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back