Best Title Reign Of The Year

What Is The Best Title Reign Of 2012?

• CM Punk

• Antonio Cesaro

• Austin Aries (X-Division Title)

• Austin Aries (World Title)

• Bobby Roode

Results are only viewable after voting.
Kevin Steen had three nominations, this is a farce; he'd no chance of winning though, so screw it.

I enjoyed Bobby Roode's TNA World Heavyweight Championship reign and yes, it not only served as the catalyst for TNA's improvement but he was the main on-screen character throughout it, but I feel as though not only has Punk's been more impressive, but hes also put on better matches and had better rivalries with the likes of Jericho, Bryan, the entire love triangle, Cena and even Ryback.

I think maybe it's because WWE has become so generic, cookie cutter feeling that I didn't vote for Punk. I mean, the length of the reign is impressive just based on how the business is these days in general, but it just doesn't have anything that explodes out at me.

That's why I went with Bobby Roode. His heel turn and success as a heel champion simply surprised the hell out of me, and his ability in that role to make me feel like the championship meant something is what won me on his over Punk's.

Maybe if they had given Punk a new belt design and emphasized the importance of the belt more throughout the entire course of it I would have voted otherwise, but even the emphasis on length of reign here towards the (inevitable) end just doesn't provide the punch that it should.

Roode elevated the TNA title for the length of his run, and the belt, in turn, elevated Roode. It was a very good union and just "felt" more important IMO.

I was very close to voting Roode but decided on Punk. I enjoyed Roode's reign but Punk's matches were so much better. I really hope he and Bryan feud for a length of time for the belt. All Ironman matches baby.

Roode. Not only was Roode arguably the most entertaining part of Impact, but his World Title reign transformed him from "the no gimmick guy in Beer Money" to a Top 5 Heel In All of Pro Wrestling.

None of these title reigns has been "perfect". While there's no such thing as "perfect", each of these runs have had setbacks that have had some negative impact.

For Punk's run, it was the fact that he wasn't pushed as hard or hyped as much as John Cena in much of the first half of the year. It's a departure from the norm, though it's none one that's unheard of. During Hogan's time in WWE, he was still THE guy with or without the title just as Cena is. Punk still managed to be a star though by putting on great matches in some very good feuds. Even though he didn't get as much attention as Cena from the company, the fans were fully invested in Punk in spite of that.

I'm not really sure why Cesaro's US title run was nominated. I'm impressed by Cesaro but he's yet to have a feud that has a great feel to it. His one real feud thus far has been against R-Truth. I will say that it was a better feud than I expected it to be. Also, Cesaro has done his best despite being given very little to work with thus far.

Austin Aries run as X Division Champion was a strong one. However, the X Division as a whole was incredibly weak and that was obvious. Similar to CM Punk, Aries maintained a high level of interest among fans in his run because of his abilities. However, it got very stale watching Aries beat the same handful of faceless opponents, usually in some variation of a triple threat or four-way match. Aries is someone that made the title as it's faded back into irrelevance since he dropped it.

I don't see why Aries TNA WHC run is nominated, but at least it hasn't gotten many votes at all. Aries was completely overshadowed with TNA putting all of its eggs into the Aces & Eights basket. Instead of an epic run, unfortunately, Aries' run came off as little more than a guy carrying the title for a little while.

Bobby Roode became a star during his singles run as TNA World Heavyweight Champion. He's one of the overall top wrestlers in the business today. One thing that's bugged me about his run is that Roode scored so many "cheap wins" and looked "weak" because of it. During Miz's WWE Championship run, he was ridiculed by the IWC while Roode was hailed. What hurt Roode's run in my eyes was that he had so little chemistry with his challengers outside of James Storm. A LOT of that in my opinion was due to Sting. TNA had Sting become Roode's primary opponent for months despite the fact that Sting was the GM and wasn't challenging for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. This was Roode's "real feud" while his championship challengers felt like almost total afterthoughts.

Bobby Roode and it was not even close for me, I mean Punk was good, but I watched EVERY bit of tna, every foolkiller review that year during his run as world champion, he had the best run by a country mile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back