• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best tag team

sbattsjr

Dark Match Jobber
There is a poll here on wrestlezone that ask who is the greatest tag team ever in the WWF/E. My choice is Edge and Christian. They are multiple time WWF/E tag champs and help put tag wrestling back on the map. I know we have some legendary tag teams that were in WWF/E like LOD, Steiners, Dudleys but there name became more popular in other promotions and edge and Christian pretty much grew up in the WWF/E. In your opinion who is the greatest tag team in only WWF/E history.

In my opinion Edge and Christian definitely aren't the greatest tag team..Sure, they've won numerous tag titles, had countless feuds, but to me they aren't the greatest. Matter of fact, I don't recall Edge and Christian ever having a tag team finisher, which is something I've always found disappointing. Because to me, if you're a long-term tag team, then by all means you need a tag team finisher. Personally, I only liked Edge and Christian when they were gothic and with Gangrel..When they became douchebag heels and using 5 second poses, then I lost interest in them.

The original Hart Foundation is the greatest tag team in WWE history as far as I'm concerned..They had countless feuds with teams such as Demolition, The Rockers, The British Bulldogs, The Brain Busters, The Nasty Boys, The Fabulous Rougeaus, Rhythm and Blues, etc

The Hart Foundation had a great manager/mouthpiece in The Mouth Of The South Jimmy Hart, they had highly successful runs as both a face and heel tag team and their finisher The Hart Attack was a perfect double-team maneuver which combined Hart's speed with The Anvil's power.

Here's a clip of The Hart Attack on the Nasty Boys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPo4zreJR_c

Here's a mid 80s Hart Foundation promo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8xKpB_b2B4

For me, it'll ALWAYS be Acolytes Protection Agency (APA). The group was so over that they didn't even need the tag team titles. They were so over that their entire gimmick played on the fact that everyone else in the locker room saw them as guys who were a force enough to protect ANYONE in the fed. Their gimmick also was very fitting for the time in that they were two badasses who sat in a secluded area backstage playing cards and smoking cigars. More often than not, the backstage area was equipped with a unattached door/doorframe where the only 2 rules of their partnership were that people-in-need pay them for their mercenary work and that they ALWAYS knock on the door. No matter how ridiculous it is to knock on an unattached, lone-standing door, they used their intimidation to make sure that everyone obliged their demand.

And if that wasn't enough, every time they entered the ring, they were behemoths compared to the rest of the teams and their size was on par with the main eventing characters. In my memory, they're the only non-thrown-together tag team in quasi-recent times that were above the titles, a dominating force, and loved by just about everyone in the crowd. I'm 28 and I still wish I could just sit around, play cards, and smoke all day.

Love the Hart Foundation excellent choice and so was Edge N Christian! But in reality its teh Dudleys! Your talking about a tag team who didn't need a manager to get over with the fans. They were already over in ECW! 8 time tag team champions in ECW,but everyone knows there best work came in WWE. Especially IMO,the greatest tag team title match ever happened at Summerslam 2000!

What a fantastic match that was. And again at WM17. Those Damn dudleys I believe have 18 total WWE/WCW reigns 24 or so all together. Memorable feuds with arguably the best tag teams of our generation,Hardy Boyz and Edge N Christian! Hell they even drove the icon Mae Young through a table,Trish and Stacy went through tables as well..

IMO no other tag team had a connection with the fans the way Those Damn Dudleys did!

The Hart Foundation were amazing! the power mixed with the technical and when they were heel being managed by Jimmy was the icing on the cake! who would have thought only a few years after their run Bret would be one of the all time greatest singles performers

I admit that my choice is based on the fact that my favorite tag-team made a huge impression on me at an early age. First; I'll make a very honorable mention of a tag-team that isn't my absolute favorite, but is indeed a team that I marked out for every-time they arrived when I was younger.

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers!

[YOUTUBE]639quXdETEo[/YOUTUBE]

My absolute favorite tag team, is the Joshi team known as The Crush Gals.

[YOUTUBE]NGi4edo-aBk[/YOUTUBE]

They were more over than any other tag team in existence during the early 80's, their entrances drove the crowd insane with excitement. I fell in love with them the first time I saw them. The Engrish in the documentary is also very amusing.

New Age Outlaws have always been my favourite tag team. They had many signature moves, could work individually, always got the crowd going, and an excellent chemistry together.

Besides them, I would also like to put in order: Edge and Christian, The Dudley Boys, The Hardy Boyz, and Too Cool. Sure it's an Attitude era bias, but that's also when I first started watching.

I'm an Attitude Era guy so I gotta go with the teams that made the biggest impact on me.

First the NAO were AWESOME. They just had everything going for them, Billy was a huge, muscled up, athletic guy who could definitely go in the ring and Road Dogg was one of the best hypemen in the business hands down. Not to mention they had catchphrases that caught absolute fire, were part of DX, and for the most part didn't need the tag titles because they were already so over them.

Second, The Dudley Boys. Mainly chose these guys because they were a TRUE tag team. Basically started out their careers together, it was hard to imagine one guy without the other back then (pre- Brother D-Von era...) and again these guys were Mcmahons choice to be the "main event tag team". By main event tag team, I mean that they were the ones who were put against The Rocks and Austins and usually faced those top tier guys. They were bigger than the titles when they were at their hottest imo.

Hart foundation would be my pick. They were so great and tore it up with so many other great teams. The again - in those days - Tag Team Wrestling was better because there were more tag teams about. That is cos there were more Promotions and territories to learn their trade. We don't have this today.

Demolition - longest reign as champs - 478 Days..

Other notable mentions:
The Valiant Brothers (Jimmy & Johnny Valiant)
Mr Fuji & Professor Tanaka
The Wild Samoans (Afa & Sika)
The Headshrinkers (Fatu & Samu)
The British Bulldogs (The Dynamite Kid & Davey Boy Smith)
The Hart Foundation (Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart & Bret 'The Hitman' Hart)
The Legion Of Doom (Hawk & Animal)
The Nasty Boys (Brian Knobbs & Jerry Saggs)
Money Inc. ('The Million Dollar Man' Ted DiBiase & I.R.S)
The Colossal Connection (Andre The Giant & Haku)
The Smokin' Gunns (Billy & Bart Gunn)
Strike Force (Tito Santana & Rick Martel)
La Resistance (Robert Conway & Sylvan Grenier)
The Quebecers (Jacques Rougeau & Pierre Carl Ouellet)
The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (Jacques & Raymond Rougeau)
The Brothers of Destruction (Kane & The Undertaker)
The Rockers (Shawn Michaels & Marty Janetty)
The Steiner Brothers (Scott & Rick)
The Brain Busters (Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard)
Owen Hart & Yokozuna

For me, it'll ALWAYS be Acolytes Protection Agency (APA). The group was so over that they didn't even need the tag team titles. They were so over that their entire gimmick played on the fact that everyone else in the locker room saw them as guys who were a force enough to protect ANYONE in the fed. Their gimmick also was very fitting for the time in that they were two badasses who sat in a secluded area backstage playing cards and smoking cigars. More often than not, the backstage area was equipped with a unattached door/doorframe where the only 2 rules of their partnership were that people-in-need pay them for their mercenary work and that they ALWAYS knock on the door. No matter how ridiculous it is to knock on an unattached, lone-standing door, they used their intimidation to make sure that everyone obliged their demand.

And if that wasn't enough, every time they entered the ring, they were behemoths compared to the rest of the teams and their size was on par with the main eventing characters. In my memory, they're the only non-thrown-together tag team in quasi-recent times that were above the titles, a dominating force, and loved by just about everyone in the crowd. I'm 28 and I still wish I could just sit around, play cards, and smoke all day.

There's no chance they are the best tag team, but I will join in with you and say I loved the APA. Even as the Acolytes I was a big fan. Both JBL and Ron Simmons are guys I really like as performers (Simmons I knew I liked, but JBL was sort of a revelation in this role and became even better later) so it makes sense that I like them as a team.

These are all great picks. I didn't choose the Har Foundation because I don't think they changed tag team wrestling the edge and Christian did. There was a time that people only tuned in to see what the stone cold, the rock, and the tag team division was doing. I feel that E and C help bring tag wrestling back along with the dudleys and the hardys. I think they had 7 tag title reigns

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. My pick is a little bias sense they are my favorite tag team of all time, but I also don't think they get enough kudos. My pick hands down are The Dudley Boyz. Go back and watch some of their matches between 2000-2003. They could make a crowd hotter than hell and they would go ape shit for the Dudley's signature spots. They wrestled together and have such a good real life relationship that it shows in their amazing chemistry. They were very entertaining and have one of the most famous tag team finishing moves. Even when they were heels the crowd would say 3-D when they hit it. And on top of that you can't think of the words of tag team and tables without thinking about Devon and Bubba. I'm not even mentioning there tag title count, cause even without the stats you have to admit they left a HUGE impression on tag team wrestling. I'll just end my response with one question....... Wassuuuuup!?!?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back