Hitman (2007)

Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back

Max Payne (2008)

Doom (2005)

Street Fighter (1995)

Super Mario Bros. (1993)

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Alone In The Dark (2005)

*discussion will be open until Wednesday,June 2nd, on which date the polls will open and voting will be permitted. No spamming, no flaming.

This is another tough choice for me, because I'm torn between Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat was an entertaining film. The acting was decent enough, the fight scenes were pretty fun to watch, and the story wasn't bad. As far as characters go, Linden Ashby did a fine job with the Johnny Cage character. He was funny, cocky, charismatic, and he could kick ass.

Resident Evil really took me by surprise, when I first saw it years ago. I LOVED playing these games as a kid. I was still in high school when this film hit theaters, and I wasn't too excited to see it, but Resident Evil turned out to be a solid film. Milla Jovovich wasn't bad as the lead, and I know Michelle Rodriguez always plays the "tough girl," but I think her character really worked well in this film. Resident Evil featured a good amount of suspense, the action was entertaining, and the story did feature a nice little mystery. This film becomes more and more interesting, as the mystery of the Umbrella Cooperation unravels.

The endings to both of these films were done so well. They left you wanting more, and both cliffhangers left so many unanswered questions. In Resident Evil, you wandered what happened to Matt as he was placed in the Nemesis Project, and seeing Milla Jovovich hold a shotgun in the destroyed remains of Raccoon City was the icing on the cake. The ending to Mortal Kombat had a little bit more joy, because the good guys were celebrating after Liu Kang's defeat of Shang Tsung, but the appearance of the Emperor quickly put an end to the happy moment. I thought Annihilation was a huge disappointment, but the ending to Mortal Kombat boosted my excitement to see the big showdown in the second film.

With all that said, the final battle between Shang Tsung and Liu Kang might be enough to persuade me to vote for Mortal Kombat here. This fight had an epic feel, and you wanted to see Liu Kang get revenge for his brother's death. It was an emotional battle, and Liu Kang finished off Tsung with a dramatic final blow.

As of right now, I'm leaning towards Mortal Kombat, but I want to vote for Resident Evil. I'll need more time to think about this one.

I'm very close to voting Street Fighter. It's a terrible film. I mean it's awful, but the fact is, it's so bad it's totally hilarious. Raul Julia is truly awesome as the incredibly hammy version of Bison and Jean Claude Van Damme is such a bad choice for Guile that it's funny as hell. I mean the guy has American flag tattoos across the top of his arms, and he has a pretty thick accent. And don't even get me started on the fake chest hair for Zangief. Totally different to the video games, but hilariously brilliant independently.

This is hard for me. Looking at this list made me realize how poorly done movies based on video games truly are. Poor casting, generic plots, and lame dialogue really have been the downfall of many of these movies. However, Ill always have a soft spot in my heart for both Max Payne and Resident Evil, as Ive played all the video games related to them and loved each. I eagerly awaited the feature films made loosely around the games from each series. Plus, Milla Jovovich is smoking hot in the 2002 RE film, and the same can be said for Mila Kunis in Max Payne. Both are a fun 2 hours of escapism, even if neither film is very good. But I can't bring myself to endorse, or vote for, a movie just because I loved the video game series and the heroine is smoking hot, can I? :)

I think my vote will likely go to Final Fantasy. The movie was an absolute box office flop, and even caused the Square Pictures film division, its distributor, to fold. Still, it was the first photorealistic computer animated movie Ive ever seen, and may have been the first ever made. I remember seeing it in college with roomates back in 2001 because I had nothing better to do, and came away pleasantly surprised. The realism of the computer animated characters was a sight to behold, and the plot was better then I expected it to be. The movie got a lot of publicity about the fact that it was billed as the film that would trigger a whole new type of movie – those with no human stars- but publicity is all that it amounted to in the end. But there were still several positives that came from this movie.

First, the imagery in this movie is startling, imaginative, complex, and awesome at times. It's amazing that while the machines, vehicles, and mechanics in the movie are so realistic and detailed, so too are the organic forms such as the alien presence and the incredible landscapes. It is obvious how much imagination went in to so many aspects of this movie. Also, the soundtrack, while not exceptional, is very complimentary and captures the dark feel with the fast action and triumphant climaxes. The characters were distinct, like-able, and voiced very well, even if the digital mouths don't quite match up most of the time. The emotional scenes, while certainly not perfect and a bit awkward, should be given grand credit for achieving the level they do convey. If you let yourself go, it's not impossible to be entranced by all that this movie actually manages to pull off. If nothing else, then the effects alone are worth seeing, if the somewhat hokey spiritual elements of the plot turn you off.

In the end, it's quality work in most areas. Though many would argue otherwise, Im sure, this goes for the story and screenplay as well. I remember leaving the theater without being disappointed, something I cannot say for most of the movies on this list, which is why, unless swayed otherwise, Ill be voting for Final Fantasy.

Just because it makes me think of my childhood and how we used to play outside as the characters, I will likely be going with Mortal Kombat here. It was cool to see it off the arcade screen and on the big screen, most of the cast were excellent, and it's always just been a fun, nostalgic film for me. I grew up with the MK games and eventually the films, and compared to the shitfest that was Annihilation, this one was great.

On another note, I'd like to address one that hasn't been yet. If you are looking for a movie in the "so bad it's good" category, look no further than Super Mario Bros. Obviously it's pretty difficult to convert those games to a movie, and the plot is ludacrous, but I'll be damned if I don't absolutely love this movie. Provides for some good laughs and while having almost nothing aside from names and occupations to do with the games, it's one of my favorites in this category

Doom and Prince Of Persia were fun. I'll think I'll vote Prince Of Persia because it's fresh in my mind and Jake Gylleanhall(or however the fuck you spell his surname) was pretty cool.

DOA. What more do you want from a Game Adap? Several good looking women who wear very little for the guys (including Little Miho from 'Sin City'), well choreographed fight scenes with the ladies kicking ass for the girl power aspect, a wicked knowing nature and a hilarious turn from Kevin Nash. It ain't trying to be 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', it's just trying to be fun and does it very successfully in my eyes.
Dead-or-Alive-2006-Hindi-Dubbed-Movie-Watch-Online.jpg

"Wanna Play?" Indeed!​

*Sigh* Another category were my nominations (DOA and the original Pokemon movie) didn't make the cut:disappointed: Without these options, I guess I'll go for DOAlite and vote for Mortal Kombat.

Gotta go with Tomb Raider for my girl Angelina Jolie ;)
Not only does Angie look like she was made to play the role but she kicks ass just the Croft in the video game. Plus in Tomb Raider and Cradle of Life she teams up with two of my favorite awesome actors in Daniel Craig and Gerard Butler. This one is an easy win for Tomb Raider for me.

This voting is unbelievable. Silent Hill is far and away the best film on this list by virtue of every other film being intolerable shite. It's the closest to the spirit of the game and is dark and just plain nasty in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back