Best jobber in history?

Best jobber in history huh, how about S.D. Jones???? Had the record for the shortest match for YEARS when he lost to King Kong Bundy. Barry Horowitz is definetly high on the list along with Steve "Brooklyn Brawler" Lombardi. Leaping Lanny Poffo aka the genius, there was Bastion Booger, Playboy Buddy Rose, and finally Gilberg

For me it's a tie between Barry Horowitz and Brad Armstrong. Nobody could make a guy look like a beast in the ring yet still put on fantastic matches better than those two.

I completely disagree with the classification of Brad Armstrong as a 'jobber'. Don't judge the guy by the tail end of his career in WCW.

Armstrong was a great tag wrestler in the 80's. A very good mid to upper card singles wrestler during that time. Twice held the NWA National title, which was the Georgia territories top title until that territory was consolidated with JCP and the title eventually unified with the US title (the US title being a JCP title which is why it was kept over the National title). He held the UWF tag titles, National tag titles, countless titles in the Continental/Southeast territory. Per wrestlingdata.com won far more than he lost.

He was a guy that promoters liked to use to get people over though, because he was so talented in the ring, and that is the main reason at the end of his career WCW used him almost exclusively in that capacity.

Like I said though, I wouldn't use that time to define him by calling him the best 'jobber' of all time... especially when you can talk about guys like George South, Duane Gill, Terry Gibbs, SD Jones, Rocky King, Tom Stone and so many others.

My pick would be George South. He was a guy that did an amazing job of making anyone he was in the ring with look fantastic, which is exactly what a jobber is supposed to do. He was actually talented enough that he's become a trainer of many second generation wrestlers, with guys like Ric Flair, Ricky Steamboat and Bobby Eaton all trusting him to train their children for the ring.

Stevie Richards.

He was in shape, athletic and few were better on the mic than him. From Ravens Flock to bWo and throw in RTC for good measure he was a man you loved to hate. Getting heel heat in the Bible belt for preaching morality? What a man.

here are a few on my list

outback jack not many will remember him but he was awful in the ring one of the worst finishers in wrestling history the boomerang clothesline cant think of any real accomplishments he had.

tiger chung lee just plain sucked think he have won a match or 2 but only because he wrestled a jobber worse then him.

sam houston a wrestling cowboy who fueded with danny davis and lost if you lose to a former ref you are a jobber.

the shadows and the conquistadors pretty sure they were the same guys neither team did anything but lose every week couldnt wrestle either.

the killer bees decent in the ring but dont recall them ever achieving anything major.

pete dourghty lost as much as horrowitz and sharp didnt look that good in the ring either, all though he did get a part in no holds barred

keith van horne pretty much lost every match maybe got one or two moves in most remembered for his hairdo.

George South is the best. He was amazing in the ring and was actually really good on the mic. I really think the only reason he wasn't a big star is his look.

Barry Horowitz is the guy that I always think of as the greatest jobber in the classic sense of the word, I mean he was so good at getting heat for heels that he actually got a mini-push as a lucky underdog in 1995.

I have to say I really enjoy 3MB of the modern jobbers, they are funny and put their all into making whoever is whooping them look good.

Jake the milkman Milliman... AWA primarily. He also did stints in the WWF and NWA. I remember one Sunday morning when he actually beat Nick Bockwinkle (then AWA champ) in a non-title match. It was the only match I ever saw him win. Complete surprise! I'd love to see a WWE upset one Monday. Can you imagine "Slater just beat Orton!". No one would know how to process that!

I was about to go to sleep when this thread caught my eye.

Brad Armstrong was at one time, arguably the most technically gifted performer in pro-wrestling. WCW eventually put him in a "Curse of the Armstrongs" angle where he would always lose as part of the curse in question.

Of all the Armstrong boys, Brad was infinitely more talented than his siblings. His life was cut short in 2012 due to a heart attack, and of course nobody remembers him.

In my eyes, he was one of the all time greatest to ever step in the ring.

Dolph Ziggler. That guy can sell the bible to the devil

Here i have a problem cuz there is a difference between a great seller such as dolph and a jobber.. Sellers now how to work a match to the fullest potential. and make every bump seem as real as possible. not many good wrestlers sell things anymore.. Not that Hogan or that era every sold a injury.. Just saying there is a difference.

I have to throw out Al Snow, the leader of the Job Squad. Al would put on great matches and make the opponent looking good. Brad Armstrong is a good pick , though I really hated to look at him like a jobber. Going old school I will have to throw out Pat Rose from my days watching Georgia Championship Wrestling. He was a go to guy for jobbing to the likes of Harley Race, Rick Flair and many other great legends. I don't think I ever actually saw him win a match though his Bio shows 9 title runs spread across various promotions. Modern day I like Ziggler. I know he is being pushed and people give him crap for over selling but I find his way of taking bumps impressive and he has put over some guys in an impressive manner. He has done his fair share of jobbing over the years to get to where he is .

Brad Armstrong got a huge push in 1986-87 in the NWA, right after Magnum TA's car accident, I remember him getting house show main events vs Flair, and getting nice feuds vs Jimmy Garvin and Tully Blanchard. He wrestled some excellent matches over the TV Title with Blanchard, and eventually brought in his more famous father Bullet Bob and had some great tag matches vs Blanchard & Lex Luger. Personal issues derailed him more than anything else.

George South is the best. He was amazing in the ring and was actually really good on the mic. I really think the only reason he wasn't a big star is his look.

Ric Flair said in his biography that he enjoyed working with George South, and actually talked about a backstage disagreement with Dusty Rhodes, who was booking at the time, and wanted to upset Flair by making him wrestle for TV before leaving for two separate house shows later that day (Originally Flair didn't think he's also be wrestling on TV, three full matches in different locations in one day). According to Flair, he demanded he be given South and decided he would give South a great match, lots of back and forth action, and take several minutes, basically to show Rhodes up for forcing him to wrestle last minute. South is actually quoted in the book talking about how Flair gave him all sorts of offense and called a match similar to what he would wrestle with Ricky Steamboat, lots of off the top rope and flying moves, etc. The crowd really got into it as Flair played exasperated at the idea of South beating him while South really played it up. George South could definitely deliver in the ring when given the chance.

The Mulkey Bros...these two took incredible punishment, they would take every signature move of each opponent, getting pummeled every week on TBS, rarely getting in a punch. They became cult favorites with the audience, and soon were booked almost exclusively against heels which helped anger the audience towards the heels even more, beating up on the hapless Mulkeys.

Finally, just to appease the audience, on the eve of the annual Crockett Cup Tag Team Torunament, the annnouncers spent the entire two hour program playing up the arrival of a new, great, never before seen tag team that would debut in the programs main event at the end of the show, coming to the NWA to participate the tournament. The two masked wrestlers, quickly starting pummeling the poor Mulkeys until they "School boyed" them, one brother almost accidentally tripping their opponent while he attempted to body slam the other brother. Three seconds later with the live crowd popping like they had just seen Dusty Rhodes win the NWA Title the Mulkeys actually won a match. They were even permitted entrance into the tournament, where they unfortunately did not win but were allowed to show some offense and put up a fight. They disappeared from television around this time, but anyone watching televised wrestling in the 80s remembers these totally inept, un athletic, sympathetic jobbers and NWA fans truly popped for their one brief moment in the sun.

good topic and a lot of interesting answers. First two names that came to me as jobbers were Barry Horowitz and Brooklyn Brawler. There have been a lot of great ones over the years and even some who were a bit higher then jobber but not major champ material that could fit like DLo, All Snow, tag teams like the Godwinn's, heavenly Bodies, The Holly's. even as mentioned Koko B. Ware. Older guys like Iron Mike Sharp, Gentleman Chris Adams and Handsome Jimmy Valiant. But going over all names, the greatest jobber of all time is Barry Horowitz. His actual gimmick was to be the jobber, a guy who went over 1000 matches before winning and being able to put on such a good match that there always seemed to be some chance of him pulling it off. As the first public and officially known pure jobber, he is the greatest of them all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back