• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Best Backlash match ever

C.Msupporter

Straight Edge World Champion
It seems like vince Mcmahon has finally pulled the plug on Backlash and that it will now be filled with Extreme rules, but let's take a look back and see what matches have made Backlash a staple of World Wrestling Entertainment.

For Me I'd have to say the Rock vs Goldberg in 2003, whats better than two great icons in the wrestling world, and furthermore in was not a WM rematch. overall it turned out as a decent match and dispite only having a few weeks to develop the storyline, the Match definately lived up to expectations.

I can't narrow it down to just one. Sorry. So I'll give you my top 4 and honorable mentions.

Backlash 2001: Shane McMahon vs. Big Show ( Last Man Standing Match) I loved this match. And the ending with Shane delivering the huge elbow drop was simply insane. I still remember that match, like it was yesterday.

Backlash 2009: Chris Jericho vs. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat - After the exchange those two had at WM, I was only right for Vince to let the fans see this match. I absolutely loved this match. Ricky proved that he is a true talent. The man is obviously up in age, but he can STILL out perform alot of the younger guys out today.

Backlash 2001: Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit (30min. Submission Match) Again, I really loved this match. I also thought the feud between the two was awesome.

Backlash 2000: Triple H vs. The Rock (WWE Title) Now, IMO I thought that this match is what should've headlined WM16. But of course that didn't happen. So WWE has it at Backlash later that month. The match was still awesome. And Austin showing up with Linda McMahon, was just the icing needed to top off that epic match. I really enjoyed the Rock/HHH rivalry from 2000.

Honorable Mentions:
Backlash 2004: HHH vs. Chris Benoit vs. HBK (World's Title)
Backlash 2001: The Brothers of Destruction vs. The Two Man Power Trip (WWE Tag Title, IC Title, and WWE Title)
Backlash 2004: Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton (Hardcore match for the IC Title)

I will do the same as The Phenomenal One and give a top 4 then honorable mentions.

Backlash 2004: randy orton vs mick foley Hardcore match for the WWE Intercontinental Championship the feud was well built up and really began randy orton as the legend killer.

Backlash 2005:Edge vs Chris Benoit last man standing match this match was great and the heart benoit showed in this match not staying down then edge pulled a brick out and knockout him out.

Backlash 2007: The Undertaker vs Batista last man standing match this was the return match from the classic at wrestlemania 23 and like the match at mania it stole the show

backlash 2009: edge vs cena last man standing (ok i like last man standing matches) this match ended the cena edge feud whilst at the same time starting the big show cena feud and on top of that stole to show at backlash.

Honorable Mentions:
Backlash 2003: Rock vs. Goldberg
Shane McMahon vs. Big Show Last Man Standing Match
Triple H vs. The Rock

but the greatest backlash match in history is Santina Marella vs Beth Phoenix for the title of miss wrestlemania in a 3 second match (JOKE)

For Me I'd have to say the Rock vs Goldberg in 2003, whats better than two great icons in the wrestling world, and furthermore in was not a WM rematch. overall it turned out as a decent match and dispite only having a few weeks to develop the storyline, the Match definately lived up to expectations.

Wow, you liked Rock VS Goldberg....really? Don't get me wrong, I was VERY excited to see this match when it happened, but once the match was over, I was very disappointed. Rock VS Goldberg had sort of a dream match feel to it because Rock and Goldberg were such HUGE stars, but the match it self was just very weird, and felt like one giant clusterfuck. I kid you not, there's a point in this match where it feels like The Rock takes damn near 7 minutes to get up from a spear! Goldberg also did his share over selling in this match.

Anyway, one of my Backlash favorites has to be the triple threat match for the WWE championship in 2006 between Cena,Triple H, and Edge. This match was just entertaining as hell from beginning to end. Triple H also bled like a stuck pig in this one. All three men put one hell of a show.

Another honorable mention would have to go to the Orton VS Foley hardcore match for the IC from Backlash 2004. This match was very good. This is one of the matches that help put Orton over on his way to the top. Plus, we also got to see lots of vintage Foley/Cactus Jack stuff in this match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back