Beer Money: Better as a heel or face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hiphopapotamus

The Dude abides
Robert Roode and James Storm are the two members of arguably the greatest tag team in wrestling today. They were both great tag team wrestlers, Storm in AMW, Roode in Team Canada. In these tag teams, they were only really good as heels. But when they formed back in mid 2008, they have grown into one of the best tag teams in TNA's history. But during this time, they have played both heels and faces, to huge success. But the question I present to you is this, which are they better at playing: Heels or faces? Well, let's see..

They originally debuted as heels, which was no surprise as they had portrayed heels before this. At the time, they were heels, and when they formed, they were instantly heels. They originally challenged LAX, losing, but engaging in a long feud, where they did win the titles. They were, however, hated by the srowd due to them constantly cheating and stealing wins, using stuff like leather and beer.

They were cocky, cowardly heels, but they were also despised for constantly cheating. Epitomised by how they retained the titles in the 4 tag team monster's ball. Team 3D had just put one of their opponents away, and looked set for the win. Devon was about to cover, when Storm came in, spit beer in his face, and scored the pin. This garnered quite alot of hate, making them the top heels outside of the MEM.

TNA stumbled upon a great way of:

A) Getting even more heat for them.

B) Using a storyline to write out released wrestlers.

This was the off the wagon challenge, but it only lasted for 4 matches. It gave a title shot, but with the risk of their job. First went petey, then The Rock 'n' Rave infection. LAX were about to get the titles, untill Beer money got themselves disqualified intentionally. That was the sort of shit they were always pulling. They tried it against 3D at Destination X, but Cornette restarted it, with no DQ. So then, they did what was the real epitome of their time as heels. Roode picked up Storm, took the titles, and left the arena.

As Heels, they were great on the mic and at controlling the crowd. Roode played the rich loudmouth, while Storm played the drunk asshole. And the crowd ate it up. When The "Beer Monay" chant came up, the crowd hissed and booed. They were showing their real cocky side. They also used their catchphrases to good effect. Storms's "Sorry about your damn luck" and Roode's "It pays to be roode".

However, soon after this, the turn came. They showed respect to 3D, they helped them out against the Brits, and they became huge crowd favourites. The legendary chant "BEER- MONAY", which was originally used to get heat, was now being chanted along to every time, often getting the loudest pop of the night. Despie being shown as cowards, during their heel days, they were now showing everyone that they are an incredible tag team. Only the Motor City Machine guns can rival their chemistry and mic work. Storm played the comedic side brilliantly, while Roode did the serious stuff.

Now, Beer Money are the best face tag team in TNA. Hell, they're the best tag team full stop. Their mic work is sensational, their ring work is even better. As faces, they make great comebacks. Storm gets beaten down for a while, tags in roode, and, as Kevin Nash once said, his ability to come in on a roll is exceptional. And now, they have cut out Roode's catchphrases but, thankfully, kept Storm's.

As faces, they are incredibly over. As heels, they were incredibly over also. The crowd loved them and hated them. But the question I put forward to you is whether they were better as heels or faces. As much as I loved them as heels, I just feel that the crowd always reacts much more when they're faces. And after seeing them live, where they blew the roof off the arena with "BEER - MONAAYY", I thoroughly believe that Beer Money are better as faces.

What do you guys think?

Haven't seen a whole lot of face work from them, but I can definitely get into it. I'd love to see what Roode can do as a full on babyface. James Storm.... he's always been pretty meh to me, always the follower never the leader. I could totally get into a "beer.... MONAAYY!!!" chant.

Yeah, absolutely the best tag team in North America. (I dont see enough other stuff to comment).

I've seen more of their face stuff and they are impressively over; their respect storyline with 3d in recent months was impressive and they have played their part in both the MEM watchable and the British Invasion interesting. Their break up feud HAS to surpass AMW's.

I feel that Roode will be the slightly more successful but the future is so bright for them.

I'm gonna see TNA in January, and one of the main reasons I'm going is to see Beer Money (And to get into the BEER-MONEY! chant). They a great team, and to be honest, as long as Beer Money are there it's worth the money.

Anyway, onto the question at hand. No matter what disposition (seemed like the right word), Beer Money can get you into the match. Whether you're resenting them for beating down a favourite team, or loving them for beating the hell out of those British gits (I'm English, but Beer Money are better) you're main focus is on them.

But...do I love them more than I hate them? No. They're better heels than faces but not by much. You should make a poll out of this cause I for one am curious about what the IWC thinks.

I don't think it matters for them. I think the team has a unique gimmick, similar to Stone Cold, where the characters don't change. All that changes is who they fight and how much the cheat. When they're heels, the cheat first, when they're faces they cheat second, and that's about it.

I like them as faces, as they are good on the mic, and the mic battles they were having with Steiner and The Brits were good. They have the full package, mic, ring, charisma.....they just need one more solid program to cement themselves as the team in TNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back