• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Be a jobber in WWE. Would you do it?

Radical

Championship Contender
Looking at WWE right now you can pretty clearly see there are performers on the roster of both Raw and SmackDown who are jobbers and really not much more. Performers like Jinder Mahal and Curt Hawkins are two easy examples. They were both signed and pretty much got no momentum when they (Re)debuted in the WWE and promptly started jobbing.

Now, I want to differentiate between two types of "jobbers" in WWE. I'm not talking about performers are who still relatively new and young in WWE and may be doing a fair bit of jobbing NOW but they still have plenty of potential to become bigger stars and have more success and credibility in WWE. Those performers are like Kalisto, Apollo Crews, Sami Zayn. They may be losing matches and not looking always so great and may not have accomplished a lot in WWE but there is still plenty of time and hope for them.

The type of jobbers, like I said, I'm talking about is performers who pretty CLEARLY have been brought in to jobber, put over other stars, and not much else.

Before I ask the big question, I will run down the pros and cons of being this type of jobber in WWE.

Pros
- Likely steadier and better pay (around $100 K/year) than being an indy wrestler

- Better access to healthier food, exercise and medical treatments (if needed)

- Get to travel the world, and being a jobber having mostly short segments on the show, be more at ease and have more time to explore and do other things than wrestling that you enjoy

Cons
- Often will be made to look weak and foolish on national TV

- On the indys with being an ex-WWE wrestler you would have more pull and opportunity to be in big indy matches and really show off your abilities and be able to look credible and impressive

- Might be hard to keep motivated and upbeat when you know you are just a paid jobber going through the motions every day

Those are just a few of the top pros and cons that popped into my head. Feel free to add more that you think of or know about.

But, this brings me to the main question:

Considering the pros and cons, if you were a professional wrestler, would you take a contract to be a jobber for WWE?

and why would you (yes or no)?

Personally, I think if I was a professional wrestler, knowing how much I could make on the indies and the health and medical conditions I'd have to deal with, I probably would take the deal with WWE provided that I was either young enough that I felt I could take the deal and bank and save enough money so that when I'm done my contract with them I could still do some indy wrestling of my own CHOICE and get to put on some great matches again OR if I was older and just wanted the stability of a WWE contract before I basically end my wrestling career (similar to what Goldust is probably doing).

Absolutely.

Here's the other thing to remember. Consider someone like Hawkins: he was in WWE for a few years, had a nothing Tag Team Title run, and was then released after a few more years of doing nothing special. Hawkins then went to the indies and had a decent run with a lot of his paychecks being built on the back of his WWE run. You mention "former WWE Tag Team Champion" and it instantly gives someone credibility. If/when Hawkins gets released again, he's the guy who was recently fighting Dean Ambrose and appearing on pay per view, not the guy who did that ten years ago.

The same is true for someone like James Ellsworth, who is there for nothing but comedy. When he's released, how long do you think he can ride "I beat AJ Styles three times" on the indy circuit? He's been a comedy goon on Smackdown for the better part of a year now and making a nice paycheck. However, when he goes back to the indies, he'll ride his WWE career for YEARS. It might be low level now, but this is a major investment in his future.

As KB alluded to, when you're someone who's wrestled in WWE for years, even as a jobber, then that can lead to a lot of paychecks on the independent scene. Sure, it's not as glamorous as it'd be in WWE, the flat reality of pro wrestling is that it really isn't all that glamorous even in WWE once you take into consideration the sort of intense touring schedule of WWE. It might not be as tough if you're a jobber, but that doesn't mean that the aches & pains, the mental fatigue, the lack of sleep sometimes, etc. doesn't hit you just as hard.

So would I do it? Sure, I'd give it a whirl. There's way too many potential upsides that include bigger paychecks on the indie scene once you're time in WWE is done, possibly being noticed by other companies like ROH or TNA where you might wind up being a star which could potentially lead you to working in New Japan as well, especially if you're in ROH, then maybe WWE will be courting you to come back.

Of course I would be a jobber for WWE because I am out of shape and have no talent lol. In terms of should other established stars make the jump, it depends on the person and I suppose their ability to negotiate their value as there is a good handful of folks that make a large chunk of money in the WWE (John Cenas, HHH, Undertaker, even a guy like the Miz etc) along with a surprising number of people who seem pretty underpaid for their work.

You can see the salary of all of them as they are a publicly traded company. (Search for WWE Wrestlers Salaries 2017 to double check any numbers you wish).

in 2017 here are some WWE ones that might surprise you:

Dean Ambrose - $80,145
Paige - $65,500
Cesaro - $80,145
Curtis Axel - $75,000
Roman Reigns - $245,000 (Surprisingly low)
Cody Rhodes / Stardust (Before release) - $245,000
Luke harper - "Starting Package"*
Heath Slater - "Starting Package"*
Xavier Woods - "Starting Package"*

* - I am not sure what starting package entails, though it is probably less then 75k a year as that is the smallest amount listed for other wrestlers.

It should also be noted they are independent contractors so they get no benefits like health care insurance, hotel room or travel expenses, etc (a few like Cena do and its specifically mentioned in their contract).

I also just listed some folks that might be interesting to see, as they had been utilized fairly heavily in the main event or other title pictures within the last few years (or in Cody's case been with the company forever).

TL : DR - Most jobbers won't get paid a ton, won;t get benefits like medical care, won't get travel expenses or any kind of reimbursement for food / drink.

Absolutely.

James Ellsworth started as a guy who was getting crushed by Braun Strowman, and ended up beating AJ Styles THREE times because the fans wanted to see him. He's still on Smackdown because of that and though his time is likely going to end there sooner rather than later, he still got the opportunity and will go to the indies and be an attraction because of what he's done on the WWE Roster.

Brooklyn Brawler was a jobber in WWE for YEARS. I'd take that job in a heartbeat.

You won't get paid as much as top or even mid level stars, but sometimes all you have to do is be given an opportunity to shine in a match, even if it results in you getting beaten anyway, and they may throw you into a tag team or give you some sort of singles run.

Dean Ambrose - $80,145
Paige - $65,500
Cesaro - $80,145
Curtis Axel - $75,000
Roman Reigns - $245,000 (Surprisingly low)
Cody Rhodes / Stardust (Before release) - $245,000
Luke harper - "Starting Package"*
Heath Slater - "Starting Package"*
Xavier Woods - "Starting Package"*
Dunno where you get that numbers but pretty sure NXT stars earn more then that on year level. Last time I saw some credible numbers Reigns was I think 6th earner in company after Cena, Lesnar, HHH, Orton and Rollins

Here

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/07/wwe...igns-undertaker-big-show-kane-dean-ambrose/2/

Dean is 10th by 1,1 million a year.

As for question by OP: Sure. Nothing wrong being a jobber at biggest wrestling company in the world. Look at Santino. He even managed to get over and almost win major title at PPV.

Hell yeah!!!

Where do I sign up!?! See here's the thing. Being a jobber really means you really don't have to do anything special. All you have to do is go out there and do what you love and that's wrestle. Sure, you won't win matches, but you will be getting paid and you would be television exposure. For some people, being a WWE Superstar is their one true dream and if that means being a jobber is the only way they can be one, then most people would gladly take it. Now I will admit, it might get tiring soon and you probably would get tired of losing constantly eventually. That would mean you just save your money and not be a idiot with spending. Get a great little nest egg so when you are done you can walk away realizing your dream and having money to live off of. Like others have posted. This could be a gateway to another promotion.

Oh ya! The Canadian Attacker Jeffrey G Man. Id wear a mask and Canadian colors. Take some bumps on tv and fill my pockets. Not a second of hesitation.

Great thread, this is definitely a good question, like most of you said, as a jobber in the WWE you make good money, travel the world even if is to loose, you get to be in one or tho PPVs, like possibly the Royal Rumble or the Andre the Giant Memorial battle royal at Wrestlemania, and if your contract is up you have good value on the Indeoendent circuit either in the U.S., or somewhere else in the world, but on the other hand, there is going to be that time when you want to start winning some matches, get a decent rivalry, get more PPVs, etc. So if you are looking to do what you love and invest in your future it would be a good idea, but if you are there to eventually become a Superstar sooner than later join another promotion first, and then look to get noticed by the WWE.....

Dunno where you get that numbers but pretty sure NXT stars earn more then that on year level. Last time I saw some credible numbers Reigns was I think 6th earner in company after Cena, Lesnar, HHH, Orton and Rollins

Roman Reigns supposedly had like a 455,000$ basic check guaranteed and ended up netting 1.35 Million $ that year overall (2016 I believe). Dean was making 500,000$+ in 2015 so yeah I have no idea how you even throw out 80,000$. I know when NXT was getting footing they were getting like a 50,000$ average even for Balor / Owens, but at this point I'm sure that exceeds 80,000$ in more than one case. Especially considering Nakamura and Kana / Asuka could of made more literally just working ROH than that.

Yes to WWE jobber though. The connections, opportunity and guaranteed paycheck is worth it for nearly every pro-wrestler no matter where they are on the global pro-wrestling scene. If I hadn't gone before, I'd go no matter what. Unless you're getting at least a lower mid-card push in NJPW or Mid-card ROH / PWG (Possibly Indys) deal It's totally worth it. A lot of people have grown up watching WW/F, WCW, ECW as well and it can be the pinnacle of pro-wrestling for them. If you plan on ending up there, I'd take the shot instantly.

I'd rather go somewhere else in this fantasy myself, but pretending like I would turn down almost any WWE contract pay even in that fantasy is a lie. Even just for the shot of someone seeing me on NXT, or a guy vouching for me for another promotion. I'd take the practice, and working with peers of different levels and legends as a huge boost as well. It takes about 10 years a lot of the time for a wrestler to develop themselves, and I'd have no problem just trying to get the craft polished from people in one way or another more experienced.

Jinder Mahal is a different type of jobber though. He's allowed to get offense in and make the match a little more competitive than the standard squash jobber. I still would be cool with getting destroyed by Rusev in two minutes for a paycheck.

What's the pay like elsewhere?
I mean, how much is job satisfaction worth to you? Do you really want to spend 15 years wasting your time, never getting to show what you can do or do you take less money and try to build your career and reputation up? How about finding yourself in your early 20's and unemployed with your reputation screwed?
I don't think this is as clear-cut as is being suggested. My personal feeling is I'd rather try to achieve something before I sell myself out, but then money isn't something I prioritise.

Truthfully, it's a hard question to answer. I can stand here as a person who has no plans to become a wrestler and say that I would absolutely take it and that it's really a no brainer. I get to do what I always wanted to do in the biggest company in the world for that profession? Get paid exceptionally well compared to other companies, get to travel the world and get to interact with some of my idols? It would be a no brainer.

But then on the other hand, if I attempt to put myself in the boots of a professional wrestler who has dedicated countless hours to try and get to the WWE and then once I get there I'm not doing anything or not reaching the goals I set for myself... I could easily see myself not having that great of a time regardless of all the perks it may offer.

Sure, if I have nothing better to do; I'd job to someone. If it ends up kick-starting a wrestling career, then it would be great.

If nothing else; i'd love to face Braun Strowman and end up being squashed like a bug. I could finally say that i'd dedicate a match to Becky Lynch.

No.

I would have no problem being a jobber with a steady contract, but I would have no interest in being in the WWE system. Make me a young lion or the next Captain Fookin' New Japan, or let me dick around in those DDT outdoors matches and I'd be happy. Don't care about how much I'd be making so long as it was enough to have a roof over my head, food in my stomach and not having to worry about being in debt. But given the option between WWE or nothing, I'd find something else to do.

If you are talking about a one-shot deal for a few bucks, I do not think there is a person on the forum who would refuse. If you are talking about a CAREER as a jobber, it would be based on the circumstances. If you are young, and are looking to have a decent career, you would be a fool to accept being a career jobber in the WWE. If you are near the end of your career, and were looking for an easy payday, I can see accepting a deal. If you have hauled ass, but something happened where you need the cash, and you had a foundation elsewhere, you could take such a deal. Brian Myers wife just gave birth, which is why he accepted becoming Curt Hawkins again. However, he could still go to Create A Pro and teach the new generation, and make a decent living as the King of Queens once he gets released.

As for myself? If I was looking for a wrestling career, I would be very wary of "pin me, pay me." because it will give fans the perception that I was a "loser". If I was coming out of House of Glory or Create-A-Pro, I would take the advice of my instructors in the beginning. I would build my career in the Indies, and go abroad to Mexico/Britain/Japan if my style warranted. But, to spend my career as a WWE jobber? No, I would be crazy to in the system they have. Especially if I valued my career.

It really depends on my condition.

If I'm talented enough then I won't accept to be a jobber in WWE. Why? Because I might be getting money and what not but I won't be getting what my talent or potential deserves. I would rather use my skills somewhere else instead of wasting them. Money ain't everything I need.

If I ain't much talented, I'll take it as soon as possible. Something is better than nothing.

Depends how much i'm getting paid.. If i was a wrestler, i would only do it for the paycheck anyways.. Wins and loses don't matter if the money is right.. At the end of the day, that's why majority of them are there, to support their family.

Money and family is everything.. Not some scripted wins in WWE.

Traveling would piss me off though. I hate traveling.

Absolutely. I think 99% of indy wrestlers would jump at the opportunity of being a WWE jobber.

Leave the scripted fantasy wrestling world and enter the real world. It is called a business for a reason. The more and steady pay is the most important factor and likely the only factor they would care about.

Here's the thing - no matter what you think a WWE star earns or what level they are perceived as on TV, they have the one thing that an indy star just doesn't have...

The Machine is behind them.

Jinder Mahal is a great example - he has a unique look that they can and will make toys of etc...they might not sell many or end up in bargain bins, but they get made which means he can make something off that and not have to sell it himself... multiply that for the books, sticker albums, trading cards etc and it all starts to add up and boost the relatively low basic. As much time is spent selling merch, sorting merch, pressing the flesh with fans and making sure you're "shit" is better than the next guy on the indys... Those who are good at it and creative can do well, or who have a name... Jack Gallagher a year ago compared to today.... now WWE handle the stuff he used to have to do himself and he makes more from it... when inevitably he wins the title, his stock will rise and when he leaves equally inevitably he has that name and image that indy fans will spend money on... but he'll lose most of his matches on WWE TV.

Cody is a fascinating example - he had visions of being higher than he was, whatever he says his anti-Stardust stance was about, at least three quarters is down to not wanting to be in that "jobber to the stars" category. He genuinely believed he was worth more as himself and to be fair, seems to be proving it somewhat. But... he also had his brother's example... Dustin has been Goldust for 22 years, with probably 3 of those total outside the company at various points. WWE clearly wanted the same for Cody...Stardust would have been a job for life for him. If you'd told Dustin in 1994 that he was going to be known as a crossdressing "freak" who never won a world title... but he'd still be in the WWE 20+ years later, a nailed on Hall of Famer in his own right and with 20 years of contract money under his belt... do you think he'd have said "No, I'm a Rhodes...I wanna be champion..." Hell No, even Dusty would have had to consider it...

Cody made a mistake - whatever he earns now on his "tour" of the world will diminish as bigger fish inevitably come onto the market. He's not had that World title that even a Drew Galloway had in TNA or that someone like Ziggler has when he inevitably leaves this or next year. So it's diminishing returns. As Stardust, he could have had that $245k basic for 20 years... making him far more money long term than a short World title/leave the WWE run would have done. Add the merch he'd have sold as Stardust over those years and some payrises for "veteran status" and he'd have been making near 10m by the end of his career and that's before the ahem Impact on Brandi's career/earning potential. She was clearly the better of the Lillian replacements... she too could have been there for years.

Even back in the 80's and 90's the better jobbers were kept around for as long as possible... guys like Tito Santana, Rick Martel (man was a World champ FFS but was a WWE Jobber for 7 years...why? Cos he was a well paid one!) and Greg Valentine were used for years... Goldust hasn't been much above jobber status since the Attitude Era... but he's valuable in that role and has kept it... Even now, there's a reason Heath Slater is still around...

You'd be nuts to turn down that jobber role unless you are VERY certain that you can carry your career yourself and that money isn't as important as that...

Ironically some of the guys who have left for that have also been the more creative when it comes to marketing themselves... Ryback isn't doing a bad job and while Stu Bennet/Barrett isn't actively wrestling, he's always around somewhere keeping his face known for when someone hires him... but it takes a lot of balls and skill to make it out there and make a comparable living... Ryback's supplements could die on their ass... Bennett might never get another big gig again...or he could be back giving us Bad News by the end of the year...

Theres not really a lot of places to make big money now, Back in the day if someone didn't like the way their career was going there was always alternatives like WCW but now theres no real large money global companies to go to.
Obviously most wrestlers I imagine would prefer being a big main event star over the jobber who loses every week but I don't think theres any shame in being a jobber as there still doing what they love, earning a good living, traveling the world and even your post career since working for years for the WWE even if it was as a jobber couldn't be too difficult to get work on the indies as a known name.

Yes. $100k/year is too much to pass up. I probably wouldn't get that much (or anything) from the indies.

Losing every match wouldn't be fun, but a stable paycheck of that much money is too much to pass up.

Nope. I certainly would not.

It depends on what is more important to you. If being in a wrestling role in the WWE and/or the amount of money you'd make are more important to you, then you're likely to take the offer of being a jobber in WWE. If you would rather not be perceived (kayfabe or not) as a joke to the fans, then perhaps you would turn the offer down. That is my own reasoning. Jobbers are made to look like they would never be believable in winning anything and in some cases are even humiliated on television. No amount of money would be worth putting up with that for me. So, no, I would not do it.

Here

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/07/wwe...igns-undertaker-big-show-kane-dean-ambrose/2/

Dean is 10th by 1,1 million a year.

As for question by OP: Sure. Nothing wrong being a jobber at biggest wrestling company in the world. Look at Santino. He even managed to get over and almost win major title at PPV.

It could be that those figures don't include appearance fees, which would make the majority of their final pay.

I'd consider them to be a retainer of sorts, which would explain why Curt Hawkins is very close to Dean's salary. Of course Ambrose is on every week and every PPV, so the final figure will be much further apart.

If you can make $100k a year as a jobber definitely. Jobber means you're there to do a job, today's jobbers are not the same going back decades where they were a squash match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back