• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Should the world titles be defended every ppv?

Ahhhh the duel-branded PPv's. I honestly welcomed them at the time, because Chris Masters vs Carlito wasn't cutting it for me for my money.

The one thing I DIDNT like about combining the brands was the two World titles being defended EVERY PPV. For a few reasons.

1. It's cut short feuds, or over-saturated them. Fueds that could have been built quickly were rushed, or we've been forced to watch the same two wrestlers fight in a different type of match each month. It's been a year, and I still dread the threat of another Orton-Cena title match due to what we got from the two last summer/fall.

2. it's increased the number of DQ and Countout finishes. I HATE when a World Title match ends on a purposeful DQ or countout just so the champion can retain, and the fued can continue. When the two major titles were only defended every 2 months, there were far fewer DQ's, or countouts. Fueds were actually settled after being built properly, without cheap copout finishes.

3. Its lessened the prestige of the titles. Because we've had both titles defended on every PPV since Backlash 2007, we've had far more title3 changes. Gone are the days where Cena(love him or hate him) holds the title for over a year. I think alot of this has to do with WWE feeling the need to "freshen things up", hence leading to more title changes, cheapening the value of the reign, and the title itself.

So heck yes, Im in favor of having one World Title being the center of every PPV. I think it would lead to stronger angles, cleaner match finishes, and more prestige added to the titles.

Here's a possibility that hasn't been discussed:

Why not rotate the roster? Have more main-eventers than the usual, seperate the roster by classes (not brands), like weight, wrestling styles, etc. And have lengthy, meaningful feuds??

If a specific class has enough time to build up a feud, then we'd have some great storylines that matter. If, say, Rey Mysterio and John Morrison were involved in a meaningful feud and the WWE let it build, it might have people as intrigued as they are with the whole Nexus angle. Then once the storyline finishes, they have a bit of a break and allow other guys to step into the spotlight. Anyone agree??

I believe that regardless of which PPV is in question, when it is occurring, its location, or any other variable which could be discussed or debated, both the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship (or a Unified Championship if the titles get amalgamated) absolutely have to be contested and defended on every PPV. These should be treated as the pinnacle of the company, what all of the combatants are striving to achieve. Having a PPV without a major title being defended would be like playing a complete MLB season, but skipping the World Series.

They do not necessarily have to be the final event of the evening, although one of them usually should be. But, for example, having Kane/Undertaker conclude the HIAC would have been the appropriate way to end this PPV, even if Kane wasn't the current champion. But you have two have the major titles defended on every PPV.

No need to defend all of the secondary titles on every PPV. Some of them should be defended on any given PPV, and there shouldn't be any title that goes uncontested for consecutive PPV's. But the big two have to appear on every PPV, otherwise their significance is diminished and their value cheapened.

The analogy doesnt work there champ. If anything, itd be like the world series being defended every game.

I discussed this a lot in a different thread. Yes, the titles should be defended, (they arent in boxing and MMA however), but get rid of the stupid gimmick ppv's. You obviously leave Rumble, Mania, SummerSlam, and Surviver Series, keep maybe elimination chamber, night of champions, (BRING BACK BASH AT THE BEACH!!), whatever. Keep 6-8. That way, instead of a ppv every roughly 4 weeks, you have one every 6-8 weeks. This gives time to build proper fueds, gives longer title reigns, allows for specials like Saturday Night Main Event, and brings prestige back to the titles. I would like to see them throw a surprise at us every now and again, where say the champ decided to wrestle in the rumble and win so he didnt have to defend the title at mania, or something of that nature. And every once in a while, the champ should be in a tag match, or a surviver series match. Hogan did it all the time. Why couldn't we see Edge get a bodyguard (circa HBK and Diesel) and face the champ and a partner in a tag match, or Ted hire someone like his dad and they are in a match against Orton and Cena or something. These types of things USED to happen all the time: Hogan and Savage, Hogan and Mr. T, Hogan and Warrior on the same surviver series team, Bret in Surviver Series teams, etc.

The only reason the title has to be defended is because it is the ONLY way to get people to buy a ppv month after month. If you were going to see a huge grudge match that you had seen build up for 8 weeks between Cena and Orton against Barrett and Miz, people would want to watch that match. But with a build up of 3 weeks and no prestige for the IC title, yes it has to be defended every ppv, with only a few "wild card" exceptions like a Surviver Series match

I really don't think you need to have the titles defended every ppv. As long as there are two world titles around, defend one a ppv, and have a #1 contenders match. Example, Barret vs Orton for the WWE Title at Survivor Series, while Kane battles Edge to determine the #1 contender to the WHC. I think something like that could work for the WWE. You have a big title fight and a contenders match every PPV, longer feuds and title reigns, and less random #1 contenders floating around.

However, if WWE switches to one title, go every other ppv. They'll have to get creative when it comes to makes feuds matter, especially contenders feuds. But WWE needs to get more creative, and this would help them out.

I think with the fan base maturing and the growing popularity of MMA, which as we know has long gaps between title defenses, an every other PPV title defense format could work. Also, I think keeping the Heavyweight title in the event of unification, since it looks cooler and sounds more legit, (at least to me) and making the US and Inter titles into the Light Heavyweight Championship would really help them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back