• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Batista: Following in the footsteps of...Bobby Lashley?

Darkshot77

Pre-Show Stalwart
It my only be me but i see some connections between Batista's current push and the last few months of Bobby Lashley. Rewind to a year ago. The 2007 WWE Draft. Lets look at the last few months Bobby Lashley had with the company

1. Gets Drafted to RAW
2. Compeats (unsuccessfully) at the WWE Title
3. Feuds with Cena
4. Takes time off for injury
5. Quits the WWE and falls into obscurity

Fast Forward to today and lets retrace Batista's steps so far

1. Gets Drafted to RAW
2. Compeats (unsuccessfully) at the World Title
3. Feuds with Cena

So far there seems to be a connection. Now I don't know what the future holds for Dave but it all seems too familier. Both are high intesity low charisma musclemen. Both were over (Batista more so than Lashley). Now this could be done differently with this feud lasting more than one PPV but in the end Batista is just not as popular as Cena. When Cena gets a mostly positive reaction in Batista's hometown it shows just how popular he is. This may just be me but I beleive this may not bode well for Batista's carrere. And if Batista does go, Just like Lashley, no one is gonna care.

It my only be me but i see some connections between Batista's current push and the last few months of Bobby Lashley. Rewind to a year ago. The 2007 WWE Draft. Lets look at the last few months Bobby Lashley had with the company

1. Gets Drafted to RAW
2. Compeats (unsuccessfully) at the WWE Title
3. Feuds with Cena
4. Takes time off for injury
5. Quits the WWE and falls into obscurity

Fast Forward to today and lets retrace Batista's steps so far

1. Gets Drafted to RAW
2. Compeats (unsuccessfully) at the World Title
3. Feuds with Cena

So far there seems to be a connection. Now I don't know what the future holds for Dave but it all seems too familier. Both are high intesity low charisma musclemen. Both were over (Batista more so than Lashley). Now this could be done differently with this feud lasting more than one PPV but in the end Batista is just not as popular as Cena. When Cena gets a mostly positive reaction in Batista's hometown it shows just how popular he is. This may just be me but I beleive this may not bode well for Batista's carrere. And if Batista does go, Just like Lashley, no one is gonna care.

How can you say Batista is low charisma? Sure he might not be good talking through promos but he oozes charisma and it shows by the fan reactions he gets, and the crowd goes crazy for Batista. That's something that CLEARLY separates him from Bobby Lashley. Batista was over, Lashley wasn't (he was merely forced down our throats). Batista gets a huge (positive) reaction, Lashley didn't. And I don't think Cena's more popular then Batista at all, but we'll definitely be able to tell in the coming weeks when their program develops more and they're in the ring together.

I doubt Batista will go the same way Bobby Lashley did. I might not like that he's CONSTANTLY in the World Heavyweight Championship contention, but he can put on a good match when he wants to and admittedly has a lot of charisma, while his mic work isn't top notch.

Batista will not go the way of Bobby Lashley. He may not have as much "technical" ability that Bobby Lashley had, or as much raw natural talent either. But he has more than enough charisma to cancel those out. Plus he is 10 times more entertaining as well. The main reason though that Batista will not go the way of Bobby Lashley is this...He has more heart for the wrestling business. He will do anything to get better, and he has.

So the main reason he wont go is because he actually cares about the business, something that I don't think Lashley ever did.

No Batista isn't going in the footsteps of Bobby Lashley. Lashley got drafted from ECW to Raw while Batista got drafted from Smackdown to Raw. Also, Batista is a former world champion while Lashley was only a former ECW champion. Batista got a great reaction from his hometown in my opinion. The fans were cheering more for Batista than Cena in Washington D.C. Also, Lashley was pushed way too fast in my opinion. I found Lashley boring in general while Batista at least has some enthusiasm in whatever he does.

Lashley couldn't cut a promo to save his life and his wrestling ability wasn't top notch either. Batista can cut a decent promo and he has proven he can put on a good match against a quality opponent. With that being said I really liked the match last year between Lashley and Cena so hopefully at Summerslam the match between Batista and John Cena can be even better than that.

Hopefully Batista will fued with Cena for longer than one PPV and they'll pick up a few wins against each other, they'll be OK matches as well because while neither are quality performers the matches will at least have intensity and the crowd will care.

I dont think Batista will leave the same way Lashley did, as said before he does care about the wrestling business atleast (he may not be a likeable person, but thats not the topic here). I think Batista's got a few WWE years left in the tank, although I'd be surprised if they give him another World Title run given his age and the fact that he isnt as over as he used to be (except in his hometown obviously)

I'm going to have to say no. No, Batista will not go the way of Lashley. Sure, Big Dave is getting old, but his sheer size gives him a few more years. I have a feeling that Big Dave is getting ready for a heel turn.. He will fued with Cena for a bit, then Cena will take the title from Kane, who will win at SS. Batista will fade out of ME for a bit, but he'll come back to win the rumble and take on Cena at WM, where, he shall win. I say Dave has one or two more title reigns, unfortunately. Lashley left because his girlfriend was mistreated and he no passion for the business.. Lashley was like Lesnar.. Good wrestlers, great physique, no passion. Batista has under-par skills, an awesome physique, and a great passion for wrestling. That is what sets them apart.

Black Lesnar...err, Bobby Lashley was pushed way too fast. WWE was trying to recreate Brock Lesnar in him, and in many ways they are similar. Great physique and wrestling ability (Lesnar obviously much better), but they lacked the passion for the business. Lashley's promos were horrible. There were times where he sounded nervous and the other times they lacked the passion to make them believable.

Batista may not be a great wrestler, but he can cut a decent promo and can put on a great match when he allows his opponent to carry him. He his matches with Edge and Undertaker clearly demonstrate this. Plus, Batista is good friends with Triple H so there's no way in hell he is going to fall into obscurity. How many people has Triple H decisively put over besides Batista?

I agree. Giving someone the instant main event push is risky. See, people like Kennedy, MVP and Nitro who have now been in WWE some years have proved that they are stayers in the business. Brock Lesnar almost received the mega-push from the start, and while he did get over somewhat with the fans, Bobby Lashley did not. Pushing someone down your fans' throats is not something you should be doing.

Give wrestlers main event pushes when they've proven that they are passionate about the business and confident in their choice of occupation to avoid future mishaps like Bobby Lesnar and Brock Lashley. Just goes to show ya, when McMahon's big man fetish kicks in, there ain't no stoppin' the push now. In retrospect, both of these guys leaving after having been handed championships and main event matches has got to reflect poorly upon McMahon's judgement.

Batista is in no way following the path of Lashley. Just looking at them I think Batista looks more legit as a threat. I personally don't like much about him. He has a great look but I don't care for him in the ring and he is horrid on the mic. However, he will continue to be over and be one of the top guys. Younger fans love him.

Though regarding his "charisma" I would say that he doesn't have much natural charisma, his is manufactured. If he had to get over on his own I don't think he would do it.

What Monkey said, Batista actually gives a damn about WWE, you read his book and you will see. Batista wants to do everything and anything to improve himself and the business. While I may not like that he is always in the title picture, he does show that he cares. Whether he is face or heel, Batista plays his role perfectly. As a face, he saves the little guy, he beats the baddest bad guys, he stands up to JBL. As a heel, he takes advantage of the little guy, he beats the crap out of the top face and he generally is feared. Heck, even as a face he beats up faces (Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, and Cena to ring a few bells.) Lashley only cared about Kristal and fame. He can keep Kristal but the fame leaves with WWE.

Sure there are similarities between their pushes, but there is a huge difference, when Lashley was drafted to RAW, he was this up coming superstar being pushed to the moon, but Batista is ALREADY a superstar, he's as established as they come right about now and one of the top stars in the WWE. Sure, with his age, he might retire soon, but he still has a few years in him and an apparent passion for the business. Unlike Lashley, Batista does have charisma, and though his mic skills are limited, they are STILL better than Lashley's were at the time.

Right now, I think WWE's pulling the trigger on the Batista- Cena feud just a bit too early( that's a Wrestlemania match right there) but there is still things for 'Tista to do...when Randy comes back, there's an avenue open for either a Randy-'Tista feud or even better a stable.

After reading most of the posts here I have to admit that you are all right and I am wrong. The logic presented is sound and the proof irrefutable. Still, I don't like Batista. Nothing would please me more to see him gone. I found it interesting that his current push is similar to Lashley's. But the main difference here is what you all said, Batista cares, Lashley didn't. And it is because of that reason that Batista gets main event pushes and Lashley is selling fitness drugs.

As a side note though the similarities between Lesnar and Lashley are abundant one thing Brock did that Bobby didn't was kiss another man in live television. But if things would have played out longer...who knows

And since you're new here, you should learn that you should place more substance on your posts, check out the rules, if you say Lashley is better than 'Tista, you need to EXPLAIN them...otherwise you get infractions.

Anyway, how did WWE use Lashley wrong? The dude was getting one huge push to the top, it is irrefutable that if Lashley was still in the WWE, he'd probably be the Champion by now, and sure some might say Lashley's in ring ability is better than Batista, but Batista is a behemoth of a man, do you expect sharpshooters? No. You expect him to use the raw, brute strength that he has, and that's why guys that size are pushed as powerhouses. 'Tista played to his strengths better than Lashley, I always found Lashley's voice too soft and unfitting for his size, thus making him a less believable character as a rough, don't take shit from anyone powerhouse

I don't think Batista is following the path of Bobby Lashley. I look at Batista and see someone who can win against anybody in the WWE. When I looked at Lashley in the ring I didn't see that. I'm glad that Lashley is gone. I seriously didn't even notice for a long time. I would notice if Batista was gone. He has what it takes.

After reading everyone's posts, I'm kinda 50/50. As much as I hate the living, breathing crap out of Batista, (and his shriveled up raisin head) I think he's demonstrated time and time again that he does care more about putting on a good match than Bobby Lashley did. What I do like about Batista is that like the rest of you guys have said, he'll stick up for the little guys when their getting beat up, he'll stand up to guys like jbl and randy orton. What I DON'T like about him is that everything about him is stale. Everything from his tights, to his shaking of the top rope and stomping of his foot in the middle of the match, to his painfully boring 3 minute matches. I do not understand how (aside from caring about what he does, sticking up for guys who are being bullied, and standing up to the bad guy) people can like him. He has like zero talent. The most talented thing he has is his Batista Bomb, and even I've seen guys do better power bombs than his. All in all, I wish someone would just do us all a favor and either pull the trigger on him and make him retire from the WWE and send him somewhere else, give him much needed time off so he can improve his in ring abilities freshen up and not be boring anymore, or the least they can do for us is turn him heel!! Because if things keep going the way they're going with him, he WILL end up just like Bobby Lashley: GONE.

Batista following the way of Lashley?Yeah............not going to happen.Plus-Why would he want to leave?I mean look at it-

Massive Paycheck
Hes getting tons of money per month.Well over 100,000 me thinks.

Good Spot
He has no chance of getting fired.Hes respected backstage and is friends with good ol, Paul(aka HHH).

Nationwide fame
Why leave when hes famous nationwide and worldwide?When he leaves wrestling sure he might not have a Hogan style "Fame" but he'll be involed with many others projects.

I honestly don't seem him leaving anytime soon.And hes doing what he loves and enjoying it.

Honestly if your lookin for someone to go the way of Lashley look at Rey Mysterio.Former world champion,injured,drafted away from his old stomping ground and being barely used.Plus Rey wants more money.WWE + More Money + Global Credit Chrunch = No way.

There's a huge difference between the two, Lashley and Batista. Batista was given a well planned and methodically laid out push over the course of several years. Lashley was shoved into the spotlight in less than one.

Batista was very over with the crowd, and proved very successful as a three time World Champion. Lashley was minorly over as a two time ECW Champion.

At WM23, Batista and Taker stole the show. Lashley got to shave Vince's head and be Trump's kiss ass.

See where I'm going with this? Batista may not have the raw talent, but he has the raw charisma. He's over in very similar ways that Hogan was and Cena is. And when push comes to shove, he can put on a damn entertaining match.

Lashley, though, didn't have the passion. He was pushed too hard and too fast too soon. Everything came too quick for him, he couldn't take it and quit. Instead of capitalizing on the situation, he failed when Vince wanted him to succeed. That's the important difference.

Lashley never really seemed like the mega star they tried to push him as. He was good in the ring, had an amazing look and physique, but just didn't have the charisma to back it up. When he was down in OVW and debuted as Blaster Lashley, he was billed as Brock Lesnar times 10, and while that's not exactly what he turned out to be, both of them had the same problems. You have guys like Lashley or Lesnar who have amazing talent, but to me they don't seem like wrestlers, but rather people who wrestle. Guys like Taker or HHH or HBK are out there because they love what they do and you can see it in their eyes and on their faces. Batista is just like those guys. Like him or not, he has that spark that you can't teach. The people respond to him and you can see it in him that he's giving it all he has every night. Lashley may have been more talented that Batista, but I cannot picture Batista bailing like Lashley did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back