Authorities probing Whitney Houston's prescription history

LSN80

King Of The Ring
It feels like we were just here with Amy Winehouse, doesn't it? Another life tragically cut short, possibly due to the effects of drugs or alcohol. With Winehouse, it was determined that it was due an accidental alcohol overdose, with her BAL being over 5 times the legal limit. In the case of Houston, she was seen drinking heavily in the days leading up to her death, as well as the morning of.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/15/showbiz/whitney-houston/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Although the pill bottles found in Houston's hotel bathroom, where she was found dead, are being said to be "considerably less" then needed for an overdose, it truly only takes enough of one medication to cause an overdose. At this point, authorities are looking into both Houston's prescription history, and her doctor history as well. At this time, her official cause of death is being deferred, until her full toxicology report comes back in 6-8 weeks. However, based upon her behavior in the days before her death, prescription drugs, alcohol, or a combination of the two appear to be the likely causes.

CNN's Don Lemon was told the following by guests that shared the hotel with Houston:

Houston reportedly ordered drinks before 10 a.m. on both Wednesday and Thursday from the bars in the lobby and pool area. Houston loudly complained about her drinks, accusing bartenders of "watering down" or "putting too much ice" in them. Her disheveled appearance, including mismatched clothing, suggested that she was intoxicated.

Although not included in this article, a report on CNN television discussed Houston taking the prescription anxiety drug Xanax, and along with alcohol at that. Why is this significant? For those unaware, Xanax is a narcotic (benzodiazapine)anxiety medication, a highly addictive one at that. The mixture between Xanax and alcohol could be a deadly one, especially if Houston was drinking heavily. Alcohol intensifies the effect of Xanax, and Xanax does the same with alcohol. Further, someone who has sufferred from addiction issues like Houston, including rehab on three seperate occasions, shouldn't be prescribed medications such as Xanax, in my opinion. It's just as addictive as some street drugs, and in high enough doses, just as deadly. Regarding the possibility of overdose, Los Angeles assistant chief coroner Ed Winter said the following:

We have issued subpoenas seeking Houston's medical records and her prescriptions. Investigators are also contacting pharmacies where the prescriptions were filled. I know there are reports that she maybe was drowned or did she overdose, but we won't make a final determination until all the tests are in.

The prescriptions found in Houston's room were all in her own name, and Houston didn't appear to be "doctor shopping", or getting the same medications from multiple doctors, the investigation has yielded thusfar. Right now, investigators are simply trying to discover if Houston was on more medication then what was found in her room, and who prescribed what. Winter elaborated further:

Officials are attempting to contact as many doctors as possible to rule out doctor shopping, along with determining whether Houston was filling multiple prescriptions. Everything is above board so far, nothing looks criminal. But it's too soon to say whether Houston had any prescriptions she should not have or used an alias. Subpoenas have been issued, a fairly unusual step in a death investigation. The Federal Drug Enforcement Administration has not been asked to assist, which they were in Michael Jackson's death.

This case is certainly a sad one, as 48 is far too young of an age to die. The end of Houston's tumultuous marriage, to fellow singer Bobbi Brown, is what is said to have been the trigger for Houston's low self-esteem, and the beginnings of her drug usage. Houston was in rehab on three seperate occasions, and friends were commenting on how well Houston had been doing, noting that she had been off "hard drugs" for three years. It does make me wonder, however, where those friends were when she was drinking heavily in the mornings before and of her death, while popping Xanax at the same time.

The person I feel for the most her is Houston's daughter, 18 year old Bobbi Christina, whom she shared with Bobbi Brown. Following the divorce between Brown and Houston, Houston was granted full custody of her daughter. The day following her mother's death, she was twice rushed to a Los Angeles medical center, where she treated for stress and anxiety with regards to her mother's death.

And it's in this case that I find myself critical of Houston. She was granted full custody of her daughter because Bobbi Brown was abusive of Houston, and his drug problems were more severe. With this added responsibility, the onus was on Houston to provide a better environment for her daughter then she had previously with her husband after they divorced in 2007. Yet, Houston was in rehab as late as 2008, and her last days were those of heavy intoxication.

The other problem I have her is with the coverage and comments I've heard leavied toward and about Houston. When Amy Winehouse died, I heard more people poking criticism towards Winehouse, while in the case of Houston, it's been met with universal sadness. I didn't see this in the case of Winehouse, as I saw a "She brought this on herself" type of attitude by most. And this was far before the toxicology reports came back. And I wonder if the different attitudes towards Houston and Winehouse have nothing to do with their drug use, but their dispositions instead. While Houston was occasionally crass, this was the rule rather then the exception with Winehouse.

How will you remember Whitney Houston?

Based upon the information you've read/heard, what do you expect will be the official cause of Houston's death?

Why do you believe the public reactions to Houston's death have been so radically different then they were to Winehouse's?

And it's in this case that I find myself critical of Houston. She was granted full custody of her daughter because Bobbi Brown was abusive of Houston, and his drug problems were more severe. With this added responsibility, the onus was on Houston to provide a better environment for her daughter then she had previously with her husband after they divorced in 2007. Yet, Houston was in rehab as late as 2008, and her last days were those of heavy intoxication.

Yes, so as you say, if people insist on feeling bad, they should feel bad for the daughter, and not just since her Mother's death, either. A child is entitled to two fit parents.....and if one of them is unfit, the other has to step up to provide a safe, healthy environment for the child. Bobby Brown's drug problems go back a long way, according to published reports. So what does Whitney do to ensure the well-being of their daughter?......she turns to a life of drug abuse. This problem obviously goes back a lot farther than Whitney's death, but the woman had enough money to see that others took care of her daughter when she couldn't. Great, huh? Abdicating her own responsibility by hiring others to give her daughter what only she should be giving her. Or, maybe I have it wrong. Even while stoned to the eyes, maybe she was the greatest Mother ever.....if so, I stand corrected.

Investigators want to know if Whitney was doctor-shopping, and how she got the prescriptions for so many legal drugs? Hell, people who cared for her should have been asking these questions years ago. As for how she got all this stuff and was allowed to keep taking it, all I can say is: she was Whitney Houston. She had the fame, power and resources to do anything she wanted. She lived the life she wanted to live and if she was chasing her own death all these years, then she achieved that in own her way, too.

Yes, I feel bad for her; we all feel bad for her, sympathy being what we're all supposed to express when something like this happens. But when it's years in the making like Whitney Houston's problems, all I can think of is how people who loved her should have stepped in years earlier, so we wouldn't have to feel all this sympathy now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back